TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How To FIX your 2007 Hood Scoop

To All:

While I hesitate to post this, since the NEW (ver 4.0) hood scoop fix is currently the hot topic... I just decided to take matters into my own hands... And after waiting almost a year for the "final" fix, I did what I wanted to do right after I purchased #547 last May... So here goes:

Before Picture:

post-8727-1205960434_thumb.jpg

During Picture:

post-8727-1205960443_thumb.jpg

After Picture:

post-8727-1205960457_thumb.jpg

You be the Judge:

post-8727-1205960467_thumb.jpg

I simply went out and purchased 25 stainless steel "button-head" cap screws (5/32" x 1/2") to replace the "fake" ones installed by SAI... All you have to do is remove the shorter screws, drill out the 25 holes in the hood scoop with a 5/32" drill bit... After that, simply drill and tap the hood for the 25 longer screws to attach itself to...

I do highly recommend using brand new drill bits and a new tap... I also used a HAND DRILL so that I didn't get carried away with the power tools... You will also need an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blow away all the shavings from the drilling and tapping...

And YES, I did this while the hood was still on the car... And YES, I did leave the underhood insulation in place while I drilled and tapped all 25 holes... And YES, about 98% of all the plastic and aluminium shavings were easily blown off the top of the hood... And there was nothing that actually went into the engine compartment, as they were all trapped by the piece of insulation... But if you really wanted to make sure you removed absolutely every shaving, then you would have to actually remove the scoop and the insulation AFTER you drilled all your holes...

Of course this will only work on hoods that haven't already been pop-riveted... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

It's my understanding that this was one of the options that SAI tried and someone else had done it as well a while ago. Few concerns though. Why would you do anything like this when you have, or had, a warranty? You still have the "old dip" which you can clearly see. This is different than the "new dip". The "old dip" was like a large depression in the center/front of the scoop which is clearly evident in the after picture. Teh "new dip" which has been solved, was a narrow depression that runs across the scoop about 3" from the front where the under padding ends. You would, I think, been better off with the new scoop and done the same screw technique, if desired, than using the old 1st generation scoop which also had issues beyond the gaps.

IMHO!

No way I am touching mine. I don't want to void the warranty. Shelby and Ford are responsible for the defect and the corrective work.

To All:

While I hesitate to post this, since the NEW (ver 4.0) hood scoop fix is currently the hot topic... I just decided to take matters into my own hands... And after waiting almost a year for the "final" fix, I did what I wanted to do right after I purchased #547 last May... So here goes:

Before Picture:

During Picture:

After Picture:

You be the Judge:

I simply went out and purchased 25 stainless steel "button-head" cap screws (5/32" x 1/2") to replace the "fake" ones installed by SAI... All you have to do is remove the shorter screws, drill out the 25 holes in the hood scoop with a 5/32" drill bit... After that, simply drill and tap the hood for the 25 longer screws to attach itself to...

I do highly recommend using brand new drill bits and a new tap... I also used a HAND DRILL so that I didn't get carried away with the power tools... You will also need an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blow away all the shavings from the drilling and tapping...

And YES, I did this while the hood was still on the car... And YES, I did leave the underhood insulation in place while I drilled and tapped all 25 holes... And YES, about 98% of all the plastic and aluminium shavings were easily blown off the top of the hood... And there was nothing that actually went into the engine compartment, as they were all trapped by the piece of insulation... But if you really wanted to make sure you removed absolutely every shaving, then you would have to actually remove the scoop and the insulation AFTER you drilled all your holes...

Of course this will only work on hoods that haven't already been pop-riveted... Good Luck!

07SGT0547

i think you are right with the screws, i posted a couple of months ago that the screws wil allow proper control of fastener torque, where the rivets are operator specific (as exhibited in the dimpled aluminum hoods a couple of folks have mentioned) good for you

i think you are right with the screws, i posted a couple of months ago that the screws wil allow proper control of fastener torque, where the rivets are operator specific (as exhibited in the dimpled aluminum hoods a couple of folks have mentioned) good for you

Jeff, the sight posts two or three times because of some sort of ditto error, you can delete a couple if you want.

You may be right but why bother with a first generation scoop is my point. The big dipper and the tendency to develop indents and waves along the sides. Seems to me he would have been MUVCH better off with the latest scoop than that one.

I don't understand this talk of a "warranty" issue. What could go wrong? Obviously there isn't any warranty if you slip and scar the hood, but what else could go wrong?

No idea. I just know it's under warranty and Ford/SAI are responsible for what ever happens. When you perform your own repair outside of the warranty process you risk the company denying future claims. When I wanted to have #2 scoop installed at a company I thought better to do the job I was told Ford would not warranty the work there after. What does that mean? No idea. Was it BS? No idea. But why bother tempting fate and again why do this with a known bad design scoop and at least not the latest and greatest.

That was really my point.

i agree with the others ,i wouldn't touch the hood.i would let shelby do all the work.if we all think we are getting a new design or material though then you can forget it .per bud today we are getting the same scoop with reinforcement at the end of the scoop.if this don't work i might be looking at the less than generous discount on a cs-6 hood.we should get a new hood if this don't work.hope your hood scoop holds up.

I thought by the title of your post you were going to suggest a quart of cheap whiskey, two gallons of gas and a tree.....now that would fix it alright. I ain't touching mine. Waiting for the solution and then my sai s/c if all goes as planned.

It's my understanding that this was one of the options that SAI tried and someone else had done it as well a while ago. Few concerns though. Why would you do anything like this when you have, or had, a warranty? You still have the "old dip" which you can clearly see. This is different than the "new dip". The "old dip" was like a large depression in the center/front of the scoop which is clearly evident in the after picture. Teh "new dip" which has been solved, was a narrow depression that runs across the scoop about 3" from the front where the under padding ends. You would, I think, been better off with the new scoop and done the same screw technique, if desired, than using the old 1st generation scoop which also had issues beyond the gaps.

IMHO!

I actually "liked" the old dip. It was an interesting shape to me.

i agree with the others ,i wouldn't touch the hood.i would let shelby do all the work.if we all think we are getting a new design or material though then you can forget it .per bud today we are getting the same scoop with reinforcement at the end of the scoop.if this don't work i might be looking at the less than generous discount on a cs-6 hood.we should get a new hood if this don't work.hope your hood scoop holds up.

Judging by the speed that SAI has moved at in the recent past, I would mark the calendar to check back sometime in 2010 to see if anything has been done. It isn't rocket science. They just need to get off their a$$ and fix it.

As I mentioned in the opening line "While I hesitate to post this...", I figured there would be at least 20 different opinions :slapfight:

Just because there are probably 20 different and unique problems that need to be addressed with the SAME solution:

Poor Initial Design from SAI/Vendor

Several attempts to "fix" it over the past year

Numerous "I'll fix it myself and it didn't work" threads from various TS Members

Several poor installs from non-body shop owning Ford Dealerships

People who live where it is too hot, too cold, too sunny, too "fill in the blank"...

It's under waranty and I'n not going to touch it...

And probably a dozen or more that only SAI/Bud could answer from everyone else across the USA...

But while it isn't 100% Perfect, and it won't work for 100% of everyone with 2007 SGT hood scoop problems, it is 100% better for my car and my situation :happy feet: And if you are worried at all about the waranty issues, then don't even try this... However, after having to disgnose my own muffler rattles, replace my pads and rotors for adequate (SAFE) use on the track, order my own Ford Racing OIL Filters, install my own lower grill insert to protect the "exposed" cooling fins, replace my original bent grill/warped plastic housing and replace the original hood pins (2x) with the billet version, I figured why not "fix" my hood scoop while I'm in the mood...

That and I really don't like the look of all those rivets on the 2008 cars... Granted, if the scoop itself was aluminum and matched the aluminum hood, then maybe it would look OK... But I prefer the allen head screws myself... And if any slight warping occurs, at least I can tighten or loosen any of the 25 individual screws...

And if all else fails, and it starts to crack, bend, twist or even falls off, then I'll replace it with the GT-H style of hood... I live 45 minutes away from R&A Morotsports (Lee's Summit, MO) and I'll have them do all the work getting the entire hood replaced... And for everyone who has seen "The Twins" ~ Two 1968 GT500KR 'Verts (Same Colors, Sequential Ford VINs & Shelby CSMs, etc) on loan out at the SAI Museum, then you are aware of their quality work and reputation...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

I appluad you, I have been an auto technician for twenty years, 7 years with gm and 14 with ford,

believe me sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands. I have seen "fixes take years" Trust me if you do have issues the way you repaired it most dealers wouldn't know the difference. Most dealers want to keep people happy and would fix it anyway. WE WOULD!!!!

I appluad you, I have been an auto technician for twenty years, 7 years with gm and 14 with ford,

believe me sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands. I have seen "fixes take years" Trust me if you do have issues the way you repaired it most dealers wouldn't know the difference. Most dealers want to keep people happy and would fix it anyway. WE WOULD!!!!

I understand but this point is not only the fix, which seems fine to me, but the use of the old 1st generation scoop that is known to have issues. He had an opportunity to get a newer scoop and my thinking was that, at least, would have been the better option. But then it's not my car! :-)

I understand but this point is not only the fix, which seems fine to me, but the use of the old 1st generation scoop that is known to have issues. He had an opportunity to get a newer scoop and my thinking was that, at least, would have been the better option. But then it's not my car! :-)

Jeff,

My car is #547, so EVERYTHING on it is 1st Generation... And while I could replace the hacked-up grill with a 2008 version, and the hood scoop with the 2008 "pop-riveted" version and hood pins with the 2008 version... I opted to try and keep it as "original" as I can, while "fixing" all the little things that will and do occur when a company like SAI adds their "magic" to something unique like the 2007 SGT...

And just like the original 1965-66 GT350s or even the earlier COBRAs, there are going to be problems and fixes that occur along the way... But that is what makes each car just that little bit different and unique...

And for the record, I did have Bud send me a replacement scoop (probably still the 1st version) way back when I first bought the car... But when I placed it on the hood, the holes didn't line up, the stripe was crooked and when it was all said and done, I just put the original one back on and sent the replacement back :angel: ... And since then, I have waited patiently thru all the fixes and all the SAI/TS threads about this and that still not being corrected...

However, if you want my honest, truly not anyone's fault, opinion... There will NEVER be a 100% perfect SGT Hood Scoop ever made... There are way too many variables with the scoop's style, the materials it is made of, the arc of the hood, the climatic changes in temperature and amount of sunlight it is exposed to, etc. And since I drive my car on a somewhat regular basis, I also don't worry about the occasional rock chip or bug splatter on my already scratched lower front facia :banghead: But, I can always "restore" it in 20 years if I want to...

But the weather is finally getting nice here in the midwest, and I have a car-related event scheduled (work permitting) every month from April thru October :shift: So the last thing I want to spend my entire Spring on is waiting for "Version 4.0" to arrive at my local Ford Dealership... That being said, I will keep my eye out for the "fix" at the major events over the Summer to see how the latest and greatest hood scoop is doing... Who knows, maybe that will be my first "do-it-yourself" project when I put my car up for the Winter :cold:

:beerchug:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Jeff,

My car is #547, so EVERYTHING on it is 1st Generation... And while I could replace the hacked-up grill with a 2008 version, and the hood scoop with the 2008 "pop-riveted" version and hood pins with the 2008 version... I opted to try and keep it as "original" as I can, while "fixing" all the little things that will and do occur when a company like SAI adds their "magic" to something unique like the 2007 SGT...

And just like the original 1965-66 GT350s or even the earlier COBRAs, there are going to be problems and fixes that occur along the way... But that is what makes each car just that little bit different and unique...

And for the record, I did have Bud send me a replacement scoop (probably still the 1st version) way back when I first bought the car... But when I placed it on the hood, the holes didn't line up, the stripe was crooked and when it was all said and done, I just put the original one back on and sent the replacement back :angel: ... And since then, I have waited patiently thru all the fixes and all the SAI/TS threads about this and that still not being corrected...

However, if you want my honest, truly not anyone's fault, opinion... There will NEVER be a 100% perfect SGT Hood Scoop ever made... There are way too many variables with the scoop's style, the materials it is made of, the arc of the hood, the climatic changes in temperature and amount of sunlight it is exposed to, etc. And since I drive my car on a somewhat regular basis, I also don't worry about the occasional rock chip or bug splatter on my already scratched lower front facia :banghead: But, I can always "restore" it in 20 years if I want to...

But the weather is finally getting nice here in the midwest, and I have a car-related event scheduled (work permitting) every month from April thru October :shift: So the last thing I want to spend my entire Spring on is waiting for "Version 4.0" to arrive at my local Ford Dealership... That being said, I will keep my eye out for the "fix" at the major events over the Summer to see how the latest and greatest hood scoop is doing... Who knows, maybe that will be my first "do-it-yourself" project when I put my car up for the Winter :cold:

:beerchug:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

I like your thinking, thats what its all about, uniqueness of each car and having fun with them.

I agree!

I hope you don't misunderstand I want everyone to have the best possible result at the end of this. I'm about to get #4 so we'll see how that goes!

All the best!

Now about your signature.... :slapfight:

You may be right but why bother with a first generation scoop is my point. The big dipper and the tendency to develop indents and waves along the sides. Seems to me he would have been MUVCH better off with the latest scoop than that one.

my 1st gen. hood scoop has a couple of pretty good waves in it and most likely will be replaced (after this gets sorted out). i did notice the waves from day one, it bugged me but would have ignored except for the warping that took place last summer.

I will most likely will get the new one, hopefully with no waves

I agree!

I hope you don't misunderstand I want everyone to have the best possible result at the end of this. I'm about to get #4 so we'll see how that goes!

All the best!

Now about your signature.... :slapfight:

Signature??? What signature??? If you set it to NO (I don't want to view member's signatures) in your Control Panel setting like I have, then you don't have to worry about the size of anyone's sig :happy feet:

But if you want to size it down for the masses, then please do... THANKS!

07SGT0547

Signature??? What signature??? If you set it to NO (I don't want to view member's signatures) in your Control Panel setting like I have, then you don't have to worry about the size of anyone's sig :happy feet:

But if you want to size it down for the masses, then please do... THANKS!

07SGT0547

There ya go!

:)

547b.jpg

547b.jpg

• 1 year later...
bringing this back from the dead... very interested in how this held up and if there's any corrosion from using the stainless screws to hold it down...

My bigger issue with this back then was the fact that the raised edges were only part of a bigger issue with these older scoops. The deforming sides and dip in the top over time where of equal concern and not addressed by this.

I don't have a lot of history on my car, i bought it in Aug. '09 w/ about 6500 miles on it, and I don't think the scoop has been replaced. I don't really know if I should be expecting mine to get worse with time still at this point or if it's been this way from day one... Is it likely that SAI could tell me if my car has had the scoop changed?

the only issue that really bothers me on mine is the rear corners lift in cooler/colder weather, the sides lift slightly, but barely noticeable, and in the sun it sits perfectly flat all around... the overall shape of my scoop is good, no dips/warping like some of the others posted on here, so I think this fix would work for me, but not if it causes the scoop to deform in another way by holding the edges still... just would like to know if there's any problems down the road w/ going this route since this was done over a year ago!

Someone on one of the many scoop threads was going to drill out his rivets himself and replace them with rivet nuts. Does anyone know if this was actually done, successfully?

yeah, i saw the chip beck thread, i just don't think mine is bad enough to throw $695 at quite yet... but i don't really want a dealer to try and fix anything either... rather do it myself usually...

I really want to hear what 07sgt0547 thinks about how it held up since he did it!

Archived