TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500KR

March 18, 2008

To: All Ford Dealers

Subject: 2009MY Shelby GT500KR

To compliment the one-thousand 2008 40th-Anniversary Edition Shelby GT500KR “King of the Road” Mustangs, Ford and Shelby Automobiles announce that an additional 746 units will be built for the 2009 model year to help meet worldwide demand of the supercar. Of that total, 571 units will be available for U.S. customers thus equaling the 1,571-unit production run of the original Shelby GT500KR. The remainder of the units will be for countries that did not receive 2008 models, including Canada.

Like the 40th-Anniversary limited edition, the 2009 Shelby GT500KR will feature a 540-hp 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, short-throw shifter, and unique suspension tuning. Exterior design draws inspiration from the classic Shelby KR Mustangs and features unique carbon composite hood, wheels, and unique striping.

The unique 40th Anniversary badging will only be featured on the 2008 special edition.

The Shelby GT500KR or “King of the Road” Mustang is the fourth limited-edition Mustang that Shelby Automobiles and Ford have brought to market since resuming their collaboration in 2001. It builds on the performance and success of the 500-horsepower Shelby GT500 – the most powerful production Mustang ever.

Delivering the “King of the Road”

The 2008 Shelby GT500KR began production on Carroll Shelby’s 85th birthday on January 11 earlier this year. As production ramps up to launch, enthusiasts can expect to see the first GT500KRs arrive in dealers this spring.

Each Shelby GT500KR begins life as a GT500, built at AutoAlliance International Inc., in Flat Rock, Mich. From there, the cars are shipped to the Shelby Automobile facility in Las Vegas, where a Ford Racing Performance Pack, exhaust system and short-throw shifter are installed. The GT500KR also is fitted with unique body, chassis and interior components. Every GT500KR will be hand customized and delivered to each customer in an enclosed transporter, just like the legendary Ford GT.

The strong demand for the new Shelby GT500KR was recently demonstrated at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona where a one-of-a-kind version built with a glass-roof was auctioned off for charity. The GT500KR sold with a winning bid of $550,000, which went toward helping the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

GREAT! another year where my dealership will not get one and some dealer will get THREE!!!! :banghead::angry22: I just dont understand why Ford would give some dealers 2 and 3 of these cars and us small dealers keep getting the shaft!

Looks like I get to start all over begging for a KR and then not getting one.

michael morris

GREAT! another year where my dealership will not get one and some dealer will get THREE!!!! :banghead::angry22: I just dont understand why Ford would give some dealers 2 and 3 of these cars and us small dealers keep getting the shaft!

Looks like I get to start all over begging for a KR and then not getting one.

michael morris

Are all of the 2008 allocations spoken for?

It's already been added to the 2008 forum. No need for a separate forum ;)

Steve

It figures that they are doing another year, however the math does not add up, it states.

2008 production--- 1,000 units

2009 production--- 746 units

they state in the posting that they are building the same amount as the original 1968 GT500KR which is 1,571 cars total. However 1,000 in 2008 plus 746 in 2009 total 1,746 cars. Confused

It figures that they are doing another year, however the math does not add up, it states.

2008 production--- 1,000 units

2009 production--- 746 units

they state in the posting that they are building the same amount as the original 1968 GT500KR which is 1,571 cars total. However 1,000 in 2008 plus 746 in 2009 total 1,746 cars. Confused

Out of the total of 1,746 (2008-2009) GT500KRs, 1,571 will be for sale in the U.S. The other 175 (2009 models) are for export.

ALL 2008 GT500KRs are for sale in the U.S. only.

Out of the total of 1,746 (2008-2009) GT500KRs, 1,571 will be for sale in the U.S. The other 175 (2009 models) are for export.

ALL 2008 GT500KRs are for sale in the U.S. only.

Ford and Shelby should have kept it to a single year run, to help hold the value of this car for the future and also help justify the high msrp. Going to be alot of upset people with this news. FACT

Ford and Shelby should have kept it to a single year run, to help hold the value of this car for the future and also help justify the high msrp. Going to be alot of upset people with this news. FACT

I understand why some would be frustrated, but I think making a purchase decison based on an automaker using the words "limited production" is a bit of a gamble. I can't say I'm surprised about the decision. Ford is the business of selling cars, not creating future value for car collectors.

I understand why some would be frustrated, but I think making a purchase decison based on an automaker using the words "limited production" is a bit of a gamble. I can't say I'm surprised about the decision. Ford is the business of selling cars, not creating future value for car collectors.

:shift:

Double Edged Sword

I see LAWSUITS allready, Ford was very specific and said limited to 1000 only.

What if someone already paid a huge deposit as part of the price and ADM, to just find this out now.

Ford continues to lie, what else is new

The car is worth $60k at best

exactly

if they didn't learn from the 07-08 GT500's, then they were naive to believe the big ADM's would hold. If someone wanted to guarantee one, then they gambled by over paying. If not, this announcement will kill the outragous mark ups quickly (although not completely, and you're right that the MSRP is still too high).

Ford said 1000 FOR 2008 - they will be correct on that.

They didn't say "no other years built" so here we are.

Again - anyone who honestly believed that Ford/SAI would build no more after 2008 didn't learn from history.

Ford is also in the business of lying to the customer or is changing there minds every thine the get up in the morning.

Art

I posted something similar to this on another thread on this topic, so I'll repost here.

Once again, I think Ford is "deceptive" in their launch and marketing of the KR. Please everyone, don't jump to the immediate conclusion that my comment is based on collectability of the car . . . my reasoning couldn't be further from collectability. I own a GT500 and could care less what the value of the car will be in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. My complaint is with the "calculated" manor which Ford is introducing their exclusive cars.

I work everyday in my career on product launches and new product introductions. Ford knows exactly what their doing, building hype of exclusivity into limited edition runs to garner a higher MSRP and demand for the product. If anyone disagrees, please defend the MSRP on the KR.

If Ford wants to play in the game of marketing exclusivity in vehicles, more power to them. There are several companies in the marketplace that are very successful at this and do it very well. It's a completely different market than mass producing a Taurus.

If Ford markets a product based on exclusivity, they have to be crystal clear to their customer base what their overall build intentions are. They cannot launch an "exclusive vehicle" like the KR and lead the general consumer to believe there will only be 1,000 built. Sure they can defend themselves by saying "we were only kidding, we only meant in the 2008 model year", but they made a huge deceptive error in stating "only 1,000 will be built". Remember, people made financial decisions, and Ford persuaded buying intentions based on that statement/claim.

It's no big deal and nothing for anyone to loose any sleep over. It is simply deceptive. That's also why I have purchased my last Ford product. Guaranteed.

HSURB

I posted something similar to this on another thread on this topic, so I'll repost here.

Once again, I think Ford is "deceptive" in their launch and marketing of the KR. Please everyone, don't jump to the immediate conclusion that my comment is based on collectability of the car . . . my reasoning couldn't be further from the truth. I own a GT500 and could care less what the value of the car will be in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. My complaint is with the "calculated" manor which Ford is introducing their exclusive cars.

I work everyday in my career on product launches and new product introductions. Ford knows exactly what their doing, building hype of exclusivity into limited edition runs to garner a higher MSRP and demand for the product. If anyone disagrees, please defend the MSRP on the KR.

If Ford wants to play in the game of marketing exclusivity in vehicles, more power to them. There are several companies in the marketplace that are very successful at this and do it very well. It's a completely different market than mass producing a Taurus.

If Ford markets a product based on exclusivity, they have to be crystal clear to their customer base what their overall build intentions are. They cannot launch an "exclusive vehicle" like the KR and lead the general consumer to believe there will only be 1,000 built. Sure they can defend themselves by saying "we were only kidding, we only meant in the 2008 model year", but they made a huge deceptive error in stating "only 1,000 will be built". Remember, people made financial decisions, and Ford persuaded buying intentions based on that statement/claim.

It's no big deal and nothing for anyone to loose any sleep over. It is simply deceptive. That's also why I have purchased my last Ford product. Guaranteed.

HSURB

I think Ford was even more deceptive on the GT500 production. Pertaining to the GT500 they did say limited production, they started with only 7k units per year for two years, then added to that along the way, which is OK since that had changed PRIOR to actual production beginning. The final numbers given were approx 8k - 9k units per year, for two years, with a TOTAL PRODUCTION of approx 18k - 19k units. They did say the GT500 was going to be limited to two years only!

They broasdcasted this over and over at the Chicago Auto Show, they broadcasted this to their dealers, they denied there would be any 09 GT500's up through June 07, which was about the time I stopped asking about it since all was told was NO for 09.

They still have not made any official announcement pertaining to the 09. They just posted the 09 order guide which all we got so far. No announcement as far as what production numbers will be. Our certificates state this is a LIMITED PRODUCTION. So what is the definition of limited production?

I have been saying all along this has nothing to do with future collectability. It has to do with DECEPTION regadless of any reasons one may have.

Ford is fully aware of the fact all their dealers have been telling consumers this was limited to two years only! Ford stated this first which is exactly where the dealers got it from which is exactly why the dealers told consumers this. All the dealers did not just get together one day and make this up.

Now since ALL the dealers have been telling consumers this was limited to two years only (other than the small handful of dealers that were adding to the deception by trying to tell people it was limited to 07 only) then WHY didn't Ford publish something to their dealers to inform them and warn them that this was not or may not be limited to two years and not to keep telling consumers this???? Instead, Ford chose to ignore everything by saying NOTHING and chose to deny they was going to be a 09.

Now if that isn't deceptive then I don't what is!!!

What pisses me off most about all this is that FORD made ME out to be a liar by telling me something that wasn't true, failing to come back and tell us it wasn't true after hearing dealers telling customers this, and continuing to deny there were going to build a 09! I try to be straight forward and I am honest with every customer I deal with. If I don't know the answer to something I say I don't know and will try to find out the answer! And here I have to deal with FORD making ME out to be the one to appear like a liar to the consumers because I had relied on what FORD had told us!

IF you can't even rely on your own manufacturer to be honest with their own dealer body, then who in the heck can we trust???

There are some people here that have posted that they feel it was the dealers that made this whole thing up and never came from Ford. This proves my point how Ford has made their dealers out to be a bunch of liars (excluding the handful of dealers that did make crap up and add intentional lies on top of everything else to justify adding premiums).

I think Ford was even more deceptive on the GT500 production. Pertaining to the GT500 they did say limited production, they started with only 7k units per year for two years, then added to that along the way, which is OK since that had changed PRIOR to actual production beginning. The final numbers given were approx 8k - 9k units per year, for two years, with a TOTAL PRODUCTION of approx 18k - 19k units. They did say the GT500 was going to be limited to two years only!

They broasdcasted this over and over at the Chicago Auto Show, they broadcasted this to their dealers, they denied there would be any 09 GT500's up through June 07, which was about the time I stopped asking about it since all was told was NO for 09.

They still have not made any official announcement pertaining to the 09. They just posted the 09 order guide which all we got so far. No announcement as far as what production numbers will be. Our certificates state this is a LIMITED PRODUCTION. So what is the definition of limited production?

I have been saying all along this has nothing to do with future collectability. It has to do with DECEPTION regadless of any reasons one may have.

Ford is fully aware of the fact all their dealers have been telling consumers this was limited to two years only! Ford stated this first which is exactly where the dealers got it from which is exactly why the dealers told consumers this. All the dealers did not just get together one day and make this up.

Now since ALL the dealers have been telling consumers this was limited to two years only (other than the small handful of dealers that were adding to the deception by trying to tell people it was limited to 07 only) then WHY didn't Ford publish something to their dealers to inform them and warn them that this was not or may not be limited to two years and not to keep telling consumers this???? Instead, Ford chose to ignore everything by saying NOTHING and chose to deny they was going to be a 09.

Now if that isn't deceptive then I don't what is!!!

What pisses me off most about all this is that FORD made ME out to be a liar by telling me something that wasn't true, failing to come back and tell us it wasn't true after hearing dealers telling customers this, and continuing to deny there were going to build a 09! I try to be straight forward and I am honest with every customer I deal with. If I don't know the answer to something I say I don't know and will try to find out the answer! And here I have to deal with FORD making ME out to be the one to appear like a liar to the consumers because I had relied on what FORD had told us!

IF you can't even rely on your own manufacturer to be honest with their own dealer body, then who in the heck can we trust???

There are some people here that have posted that they feel it was the dealers that made this whole thing up and never came from Ford. This proves my point how Ford has made their dealers out to be a bunch of liars (excluding the handful of dealers that did make crap up and add intentional lies on top of everything else to justify adding premiums).

Dude,

I AGREE with you 1000% on this and Ford should be the one to come CLEAN and say guys we f**ked you and the customers and now here is the game plan NOW!!! we lead you to tell customers our old plans but!!, we changed them

now so we are sorry. :talkhand:

Dude,

I AGREE with you 1000% on this and Ford should be the one to come CLEAN and say guys we f**ked you and the customers and now here is the game plan NOW!!! we lead you to tell customers our old plans but!!, we changed them

now so we are sorry. :talkhand:

Guys, I never thought of this as dealer originated. I think it is fairly clear where the "only 1,000 will be built" statements are originated.

Now I need to get back to work after stirring all this up. :hysterical:

HSURB

Why should Ford care about the future value of the car? Shelby has nothing to do with it, either. The KR is a FORD PRODUCT.

I will say that I was totally pumped about getting a KR. I put a deposit on the car over a year ago and I work with a dealer that had unofficially said he'd sell to me at MSRP. However, since then I've soured on the car. It's a beautiful car but I cannot justify the extra 40k+ for the car. It's exclusive but that's a lot of jack for the upgrade. Not to mention all the jerking around that's happening with yes, it's going to Canada, now it's not. Now it is but in 09 and yada yada.

The way I see it by the time the car is worth the upgraded money if it does I'll be taking a dirtnap. So, in the meantime maybe a blower upgrade, suspension work and WOOHOO. Enjoy what I have and stop worrying about a KR and definitely stop worrying about collectivity and drive the snot out of it and have fun.

As for the deception that Shelbydude is talking about I totally agree with him. Ford has put Dealers that care about their customers in a bad situation having to own up to lying about the two year production

I will say that I was totally pumped about getting a KR. I put a deposit on the car over a year ago and I work with a dealer that had unofficially said he'd sell to me at MSRP. However, since then I've soured on the car. It's a beautiful car but I cannot justify the extra 40k+ for the car. It's exclusive but that's a lot of jack for the upgrade. Not to mention all the jerking around that's happening with yes, it's going to Canada, now it's not. Now it is but in 09 and yada yada.

The way I see it by the time the car is worth the upgraded money if it does I'll be taking a dirtnap. So, in the meantime maybe a blower upgrade, suspension work and WOOHOO. Enjoy what I have and stop worrying about a KR and definitely stop worrying about collectivity and drive the snot out of it and have fun.

As for the deception that Shelbydude is talking about I totally agree with him. Ford has put Dealers that care about their customers in a bad situation having to own up to lying about the two year production

I agree with you Paul. I'm almost sure that when Canadian MSRP is announced, it will top 100K. I love the car, but the GT500 seems like a much better value to me. There are a lot of very interesting cars in the 100K price range.

As far as the additional production for 2009 is concerned, one way that Ford could have come a bit closer to keeping their "promise" and make the '08 KR coupes more exclusive would have been to make all of the additional US market cars KR CONVERTIBLES. For the '09 Canadian and foreign market cars, both coupes and convertibles could have been made available, considering that no '08s are available outside the US.

The main reason I got my car is because I always wanted a fast car and Corvett was the only American mussel that was out there that I could afford. I have a Daughter and so I needed a back seat then along came the Shelby GT500. It was fast and my Daughter could ride in the back. Then came the news that only a few dealers were getting one and They were hard to find. So I had to move to be sure that I could have the car of my dreams then it hit me the ADM you couldn't get around it they were ad high as double the price of the car. Yes it is true I was told that Dublin Ford in Dublin Ca. got more than 1000,000 for three of theres. Everyone that got a 07 was luckey to find one let alone own one. Now I am sorry that I didn't wait for the 09 just because the price has dropped and now my car has depreciated more than ever. Not only is this happening to me but everyone that bought this car.

It has been a fun car but for all the stuff that went along with it I wonder was it worth it. You know PSDS.

Now Ford has the idea that they can build a 09 and thats ok.

Not

Art

The main reason I got my car is because I always wanted a fast car and Corvett was the only American mussel that was out there that I could afford. I have a Daughter and so I needed a back seat then along came the Shelby GT500. It was fast and my Daughter could ride in the back. Then came the news that only a few dealers were getting one and They were hard to find. So I had to move to be sure that I could have the car of my dreams then it hit me the ADM you couldn't get around it they were ad high as double the price of the car. Yes it is true I was told that Dublin Ford in Dublin Ca. got more than 1000,000 for three of theres. Everyone that got a 07 was luckey to find one let alone own one. Now I am sorry that I didn't wait for the 09 just because the price has dropped and now my car has depreciated more than ever. Not only is this happening to me but everyone that bought this car.

It has been a fun car but for all the stuff that went along with it I wonder was it worth it. You know PSDS.

Now Ford has the idea that they can build a 09 and thats ok.

Not

Art

We were all lied to and that is the bottom line, the GT500 will be made thru 2011 from what I have seen and read, the KR I am sure they will do the same, way to go Ford honesty is the best policy you should try it sometime, we would at least respect that.

IMO This is corporate America....plain and simple: and it goes like this....

the guys at the top make the decisions to make changes in quantity, stats and prices etc as they see fit. They do not notify anyone, they don't have too. They are at the top! And unless one of the decsions they make loses money for the company no one is the wiser. But if they do make a bad decision just ONE of them will have to resign and the others all learn from his mistake or his "fall for the team"

The consumer, the employees are all mushrooms in the dark. Please, I don't mean to offend anyone with the "top guy" title ie: COO CFO CEO etc.....and I know they will not read this post becuase they are generally in lengthy meetings daily about how the people that actually do the work, build the products can do it better, faster and cheaper when they have no idea what is even being done in the first place.

I do also agree with what everyone has stated about buying a vehicle with the notion of "collectability" and "future value" for a so called "limited edition" car. A car is just a depreciating car until it is way out of its time period and still in great condition with low miles.

Just my 2 cents

Archived