TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAFE SCHMAFE, Best Of Both Worlds, "Road Warrior" Solution?

nachtkriechen

So, does anyone remember in the movie "Road Warrior" (or "Mad Max", don't remember which)? Mel Gibson's character had this old beater of a car that seemed to have a free-wheeling supercharger installed, and would only kick in, when he flipped a switch. Is this S/C system on a free-wheeling system like the sprocket on a bike would be, if you stopped pedaling?

If not, how does something like that work, or is it just "Hollywood physics"? If it is a theorhetical or actual possibility, you could have your standard Mustang GT with 22 MPG 300 HP engine, and then be able to flip that switch and have 400+ HP!

Anyone know if this would work?

- Josh

That would be a heck of an idea. Of course you could use N2O which would provide a huge punch when you push the button.

NOS is a drainable commodity, it's bad enough gas is that way. I'd like to save bucks AND keep a supercharged GT!

- Josh

I guess all you would need is an electric or magnetic clutch that would withstand the horsepower.

They are used on a multitude of applications right now to drive hydraulic pumps up to about 100hp and some magnetic ones are utilized for ten times that amount.

Driving the supercharger at the flip of a switch would be relatively easy...the problem would be a variable tune required in both modes..

I'm thinking this is what "tuner shops" will be doing for those of us that are DIE HARD V8 fans, in the future. However, the solution to the multi-tune thing is easy, just use a simlar system as they just put in the "Bullitt", where it changes the tune for the fuel, only, in this case, the tune would have to change when the switch is flipped. :bandance:

- Josh

The bypass valve on the supercharger serves almost the same function. It's operated on manifold vacuum and when open allows the boost to be discharged to the air. The rotors still spin but there is no resistance eliminating most of the drag.

+1 I don't think the switch would save you much.

How dare you call the Interceptor a beater! You should be flogged...

At any rate, that system was fake, and can't work as it was shown in the movie. I saw an interview with the guy who built the car, and they just had this idea to install that switch for the "cool" factor. The supercharger case itself was hollow, and they put a magnetic a/c clutch on a switch, so when the switch inside was pushed it would engage/disengage the clutch allowing the pulley to freewheel.

So, does anyone remember in the movie "Road Warrior" (or "Mad Max", don't remember which)? Mel Gibson's character had this old beater of a car that seemed to have a free-wheeling supercharger installed, and would only kick in, when he flipped a switch. Is this S/C system on a free-wheeling system like the sprocket on a bike would be, if you stopped pedaling?

If not, how does something like that work, or is it just "Hollywood physics"? If it is a theorhetical or actual possibility, you could have your standard Mustang GT with 22 MPG 300 HP engine, and then be able to flip that switch and have 400+ HP!

Anyone know if this would work?

How dare you call the Interceptor a beater! You should be flogged...

At any rate, that system was fake, and can't work as it was shown in the movie. I saw an interview with the guy who built the car, and they just had this idea to install that switch for the "cool" factor. The supercharger case itself was hollow, and they put a magnetic a/c clutch on a switch, so when the switch inside was pushed it would engage/disengage the clutch allowing the pulley to freewheel.

Hey, that was a BEATER of an Interceptor, let's not kid ourselves here! :poke: At any rate, I had a sneaking feeling it was "Hollywood magic".

I guess any way you slice it, internal combustion engines are going extinct, and there isn't anything we can do about it. In the future, when 2 guys line up at a light, there won't be any revving of the engine to taunt the other guy, just silence, and when the light goes green, all there will be is the screeching of tires and the subtle whine of the electric motors.

Electric cars may have the potential to push cars into the Bullet-bike 0-60 range, but, personally, I'd rather stay in the 4 second plus 0-60 range, and KEEP that glorious sound of a Mustang V8. Maybe instead of looking at eliminating the internal combustion engine, they should look at making it more efficient?

- Josh

Hey, that was a BEATER of an Interceptor, let's not kid ourselves here! :poke: At any rate, I had a sneaking feeling it was "Hollywood magic".

- Josh

:finger: Beater? Heresy!! I think you are referring to the post-apocalyptic Interceptor in "The Road Warrior."

"Mad Max" movie was before that one in the 'Max' movie timeline and the Interceptor was in mint condition in that movie. That's the one that I like best.

Josh, for complete Interceptor history, go here: Mad Max Movies

Then go to "Myths and Facts" on the left under "The Interceptor" It will explain the fake 'Supercharger.'

• 3 weeks later...
Replica 'Mad Max' pre-'Road Warrior' version:

Im000435.jpg

Yep, you're right, I was thinking of the "post apocolyptic" version. The earlier version is quite nice! Though, I've never been much of a fan of "side pipes".

- Josh

Yep, you're right, I was thinking of the "post apocolyptic" version. The earlier version is quite nice! Though, I've never been much of a fan of "side pipes".

- Josh

Oh well, the movie was made in the 70's and side pipes were cool in the day! Still, even today the rest of the car is pretty cool!!

I agree, it is pretty cool looking for it's time.

I remember when i first saw that movie when it came out. I wanted that car bad, side pipes and all! Even the regular yellow (I think) colored police pursuit cars were cool. Ahhhhh, the good ole day's............

I am the Knight riderrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I remember when i first saw that movie when it came out. I wanted that car bad, side pipes and all! Even the regular yellow (I think) colored police pursuit cars were cool. Ahhhhh, the good ole day's............

I am the Knight riderrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

LOL!

"Remember him when you look at the night sky..."

:talkhand:

:hysterical2:

hey I take offense to the side pipe comment. in my opinion my Roush looks great with side pipes

lol

I realize I could be stepping in front of a train here, and no offense meant, but, I really can't stand what Roush does with the body of the Mustang. It's like they try to put an air intake wherever there's room on the car! Now, that's not to say that I don't respect their performance parts, especially when the gang at "Top Gear" tested the supercharged Roush GT against the GT500. Their final appraisal was the Roush beat the stock GT500 hands down in handling and a few other departments, as I recall.

As far as side pipes go, I don't mind them (as much) when they're flush with the body of the car, but the ones that come up the sides of the car, like on the Interceptor, need to stay in the 60's. When Mullets are mainstream again, bring back the tall side pipes. :hysterical:

Now, that's not to say that I don't respect their performance parts, especially when the gang at "Top Gear" tested the supercharged Roush GT against the GT500. Their final appraisal was the Roush beat the stock GT500 hands down in handling and a few other departments, as I recall.

But the Shelby GT 500 is a bit cheaper with a Better Warranty. Take the money that would be the Price Difference and put it into Performance & Handling Mods on the GT 500 and the GT 500 would beat the Roush hands down. The dealer here has a Roush P-51A for around $60K and the 427R's go for about $55K. The Shelby GT 500 sells for about $47K.

David.

But the Shelby GT 500 is a bit cheaper with a Better Warranty. Take the money that would be the Price Difference and put it into Performance & Handling Mods on the GT 500 and the GT 500 would beat the Roush hands down. The dealer here has a Roush P-51A for around $60K and the 427R's go for about $55K. The Shelby GT 500 sells for about $47K.

David.

Wow, I didn't know GT500s had come down that far in price! I stopped day dreaming about a GT500 when I saw ADMs putting the car @ $60,000+, and changed my daydream to a supercharged GT... much more attainable.

- Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Archived