TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Asking Prices...with extra details

jrichard

Brad at Bonanza Auto (Plumas County...Norcal) called me today to tell me they have one ordered and expect it to be in by the end of September (...but he couldn't tell me if it had been assigned a VIN yet).

He called to tell me the owner finally gave him the price and told him to sell the car.

Asking $68,500 for a fully optioned coupe (white w/blue stripes)...so about $23k over MSRP.

Now the more interesting part:

1. I got the standard sales pitch about how limited the cars are and how much others are getting.

2. I got the standard sales pitch about how they are getting tons of calls about the car.

3. THEN I asked him how many people he's called from his list and what kind of response he's seen. He told me I was the first one he called because he works his list backwards...he calls the people with the most recent contact first (...and this is actually what he told me he would do last time I spoke with him, so I don't think he was bs'ing me).

Well, I log all of my contact with dealers...and my last contact with Brad was on July 17. That's a month and a half ago. Hmmm...and he's had "tons of calls" about the car. I'm thinking not.

YOU, my friend, should be a private detective. :party:

Dave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

68.5k is going to be an extremely tough sell. Most buyers as of September 1 are not that stupid.

Maybe they bought it from Lonestar, or M of G, and therefore have a justification for the ADM, because they already paid one to get the car into inventory.

But I digress, don't get me started again... :finger:

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Northern California dealer called me today and has a GT500 on the ground. They're asking $30k over.

I'm number 4 on the list. The salesperson (...who has been great to deal with...) told me the 3 folks ahead of me came down to look at the car immediately (...I actually got the notification call a couple of days ago...) but did not submit offers that the owner would accept. He told me he thinks the owner will take $20k-$25k over. He asked me to come down and put in an offer if I'm still interested.

This means that three serious buyers ahead of me, all with deposits to hold their place, did not hit $20k over MSRP. In Northern California. An hour outside of San Francisco.

That's a good thing....the frenzy is slowing. Prices are coming down.

TahoeGT...can you share what you paid for yours? My recollection was that you purchased near SF...maybe Half Moon Bay?

I just checked with this dealer today...the sales guy is telling me they'll take $12K-$15k over...which means the low number is what they'll take. So, in 4 weeks, they've gone from $30k over to $12k over. I haven't looked on eBay for a while, but it's interesting that a dealership less than two hours outside of San Francisco has not yet moved the car at $12k over.

I just checked with this dealer today...the sales guy is telling me they'll take $12K-$15k over...which means the low number is what they'll take. So, in 4 weeks, they've gone from $30k over to $12k over. I haven't looked on eBay for a while, but it's interesting that a dealership less than two hours outside of San Francisco has not yet moved the car at $12k over.

Good news indeed! Seems to be following my previous predictions... :cheerleader:

One of the local dealers here is getting a poster child in on 9/25 and was very proud to tell me they are getting 15k over but that's been two weeks ago and he was'nt very convicing he had it sold either. I found another dealer who is getting one (poster child) coupe in its not sold an will sell at msrp. I did'nt want that combo so he's found me another that a dealer will give him to sell me at msrp. It's a huge dealer he's buddy's with out of florida that's getting several in. If i can get my car deal done i'll give that info on the other out here on the forum. I called one dealer down in n florida and they had the nerve to tell me that EVERYBODY is getting 25k over i laughed in her face and said no not everybody as i hung up the phone. :) I have another florida dealer that told me he'd sell me one at msrp "soon" but not the next one. I know that he would too that's the dealer i bought my 03 cobra at x-plan when it sat on the showroom floor with a 8k markup on it. They are awesome. Hopefully we can all start sharing great dealer stories SOON.

Tammy

I am paying 5k over MSRP; I promised myself I would never pay more than MSRP, but I got "scared of missing out" and let my emotions take over. I realized some time ago that I should have waited. I'm supposed to get my Shelby middle of next month; three, four or five months from now I bet I can find one for MSRP (I have deposit down--so I'm kind of stuck). When I think about what I could have done with that 5k, it makes me sick (exhaust, and or wheels, I could have had my striped painted, etc). My point to those of you who are still looking, waiting--be patient--prices are coming down. (Damn it I knew they would).

For example, I got a call from dealer in Neb. I called in Feb. who had not responded until last week. He said they had an order they could place and I could have it for 10K over. I have a feeling they will deal, maybe 5k, maybe 2k, hell maybe MSRP. :rant:

I'm glad to see the predictions many of us had about declining ADMs are coming true. The good thing with this is that the folks who are afraid they'll miss out - and thus may be tempted to buy in at a big ADM - are hopefully getting some confidence that they can wait a bit, and still get a car at a good enough price. I refuse to counsel others to have the patience I don't, but I would hope those like me can keep it at a tolerable level until the deal you can live with pops. In my opinion, the best way to jam it up the butts of the high-ADM dealers is to buy it from them at under MSRP if the chance arises. I'm all for principles, but making life hard on yourself (by going a long way to another dealer) to make a point to someone else isn't productive. Believe me, they won't realize they are being 'taught a lesson'. They won't spend any time wishing they could do it over and be your best friend next time. Again, my opinion. I'd get the car the cheapest I could, the closest to home. It's all about business. I'm sure not everyone agrees.

I've had mine for two months now, and I know I did the right thing buying it. It's not a perfect car, but so what? I wouldn't pay an ADM, but so what if others did or will? You can make all the comparisons to a Vette you want, but how many folks in Vettes get followed around and quizzed about the car like I do with the Shelby? I fully expect to do some mods to this car just as I always do to almost every car I've owned. Fact is, if I don't mod it, it means I won't be keeping it very long.

From my experience, this car is worth the wait. I enjoy it more every day - it's my daily driver. Some folks ask me why I would drive it in the rain. I just smile. It's a car. That's what you do with cars, I say. When all the crap settles down, hopefully by the Spring at the latest, we'll be able to focus all our considerable energies on making it better, enjoying it better, and forgetting the trash. Life is too short.

Like to stay and chat, but I gotta go drivin'.

I am paying 5k over MSRP; I promised myself I would never pay more than MSRP, but I got "scared of missing out" and let my emotions take over. I realized some time ago that I should have waited. I'm supposed to get my Shelby middle of next month; three, four or five months from now I bet I can find one for MSRP (I have deposit down--so I'm kind of stuck). When I think about what I could have done with that 5k, it makes me sick (exhaust, and or wheels, I could have had my striped painted, etc). My point to those of you who are still looking, waiting--be patient--prices are coming down. (Damn it I knew they would).

For example, I got a call from dealer in Neb. I called in Feb. who had not responded until last week. He said they had an order they could place and I could have it for 10K over. I have a feeling they will deal, maybe 5k, maybe 2k, hell maybe MSRP. :rant:

So, let me ask you this:

Each year, when you tally up how much you spent in life insurance, are you upset that you paid it and didn't die?

You, my friend, bought insurance with your ADM. You insured that you got one. End of story.

:shift:

bj

So, let me ask you this:

Each year, when you tally up how much you spent in life insurance, are you upset that you paid it and didn't die?

You, my friend, bought insurance with your ADM. You insured that you got one. End of story.

:shift:

bj

Well, I guess I see your point (kind of hard to argue with this:"are you upset that you paid it and didn't die?")

I didn't mean to whine; I was simply trying to say patience is a virtue and possibly give some hope to those still waiting for a good deal. Prices are starting to drop. And as I am not kidding myself about this car becoming a collecter's dream, I can assure you it won't spend much time parked in the garage. I will be doing a lot of driving and grinning soon. :bandance:

Archived