TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Asking Prices...with extra details

jrichard

Tom at Gridley Country Ford (nor cal) called me to ask if I'm interested in purchasing their black/silver GT500 at $25k over MSRP.

That's not very interesting.

The interesting part: I was number 30 on their list.

Hmm.

It'd be nice to hear from others that are now getting calls from dealers...with asking price and your position on their list. I've received a number of these calls and, for most, I'm pretty far down the list (at least based on what I was told during my initial contact).

No need to bash dealers for ADM. We can save that for another thread. I'm more interested in sharing information.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm - interesting indeed. I've not yet been called but spoke to a dealer in Pitt. PA that wanted 25K over on a black vert with the red inserts on the seats and had two more local small dealers in IN tell me they could order me the car - then back out when I said let's do it. Suddenly they had all of their alocation sold and would put me on a list at 15K ADM. I promptly refused as I have decided my cap is MSRP and I will wait it out - but if they are calling you that must mean no one is jumping at the chance to pay 25K over...so let me know when they call back at 20K, 15K, etc.

..from what I can tell, resistance is starting to build up between 10-15K above list. I think the supply of 20-25K buyers is about exhausted. It will be interesting to see how long it will take before the next lower tier of adm buyers is done with. By the end, maybe we really will see the shelby go for 5K adm or so.

kc price now seems to be settling in around 15K for what it is worth.

Tom at Gridley Country Ford (nor cal) called me to ask if I'm interested in purchasing their black/silver GT500 at $25k over MSRP.

That's not very interesting.

The interesting part: I was number 30 on their list.

Hmm.

It'd be nice to hear from others that are now getting calls from dealers...with asking price and your position on their list. I've received a number of these calls and, for most, I'm pretty far down the list (at least based on what I was told during my initial contact).

No need to bash dealers for ADM. We can save that for another thread. I'm more interested in sharing information.

Wow! I wouldn't expect a dealer in a town as small as Gridley to ask for such a huge ADM. Small town folk talk, and that ADM can't go over well with a bunch of farmers.

Wow! I wouldn't expect a dealer in a town as small as Gridley to ask for such a huge ADM. Small town folk talk, and that ADM can't go over well with a bunch of farmers.

Yeah...that's what I thought when I first started calling dealers about the car. But, I can tell you I saw very little difference between the big-town dealers and the small-town dealers.

I'll post more as dealers call me. If anyone else has specific information, I'd love to hear it.

Guest evilchris

Bob Baker in San Diego will accept $15k for their white vert. If San Diego is that low we will have MSRP in-dealership by the end of the run for 2007. San Diego has gone from $35k to $15k in 30 days.

Most dealers here ordered cars without buyers, and are selling as they come in.

Bob Baker in San Diego will accept $15k for their white vert. If San Diego is that low we will have MSRP in-dealership by the end of the run for 2007. San Diego has gone from $35k to $15k in 30 days.

Most dealers here ordered cars without buyers, and are selling as they come in.

I hope they all rot on they showroom floors and have to x-plan them all...I'm fed up with these dealers attitudes that they have something you want and there going to squeeze every nickel out of you possilbe, there not the least interested in long term relationships, I bought 6 new fords in 6 years...heck with it...'m buying a chevy... :rant:

I hope they all rot on they showroom floors and have to x-plan them all...I'm fed up with these dealers attitudes that they have something you want and there going to squeeze every nickel out of you possilbe, there not the least interested in long term relationships, I bought 6 new fords in 6 years...heck with it...'m buying a chevy... :rant:

A Chevy? Why cut your nose off to spite your face? :hysterical:

But seriously, as a dealer that got a sizable ADM on our first two units, we feel very strongly that the typical ADM will drop to $10k or less by the time the 2008's starting hitting, especially in light of the fact that Ford seems to be planning a series of special Mustangs in the next few years (I am personally looking forward to the Mach 1). We have been offered several GT500's at $10k-$20k premiums by other dealers, but we've turned down all those offers (what does that tell you?). You just need to understand that you, the MSRP buyer, are competing with an initial population of buyers that have the money to spend on the toy of their dreams and care more about getting it than how much it is (I'm not saying anything bad about those people, it's just economics). This crowd will be done pretty quickly and then you will be able to get one at a price more in line with what you are willing to do.

If Ford sticks to their plan and produces the GT500 at a steady pace, but only for 2 or 3 years, you will see prices soften in the middle (probably not lower than MSRP typically), but will again climb towards the end of production. This is what we've been seeing with our Ford GT sales.

Jones Ford in Casa Grande, AZ called me with an offer at $25k over. I was fourth on their list. They originally talked to me about MSRP when I asked to be put on the list 90 days ago. No contract needed since their word was their bond and a handshake still meant something (their words, not mine). Pretty funny, huh?

Thats pretty funny jwrig.

I called Jones Ford 6-8 months ago and was told that they were only getting one, and they had a list of "over 10" people waiting on it. I told them to keep me on their list, but I would not pay more thatn $1K over MSRP. (I have not got a call yet)

Sounds like they are going through their list to find the highest "bidder" for their car.

Did they indicate they were getting another as part of "share of nation" allocation?

Thats pretty funny jwrig.

I called Jones Ford 6-8 months ago and was told that they were only getting one, and they had a list of "over 10" people waiting on it. I told them to keep me on their list, but I would not pay more thatn $1K over MSRP. (I have not got a call yet)

Sounds like they are going through their list to find the highest "bidder" for their car.

Did they indicate they were getting another as part of "share of nation" allocation?

They didn't mention "share of nation". Sounded like they were trolling for high bidder. Supposedly they had sold one and this was number 2, BUT......It had to be sold to a retail customer before Ford would build it.

When I first talked to them, they said they could/might get more since Ford would sandbag some of the allocation and dole them out later in the year to move other product. i.e. "Buy these 20 Excursions and we'll sell you another Shelby".

Just remember...."a handshake still means something, our word is our bond, your check is in the mail, trust me, etc.". :hysterical2:

But seriously, as a dealer that got a sizable ADM on our first two units, we feel very strongly that the typical ADM will drop to $10k or less by the time the 2008's starting hitting, especially in light of the fact that Ford seems to be planning a series of special Mustangs in the next few years (I am personally looking forward to the Mach 1). We have been offered several GT500's at $10k-$20k premiums by other dealers, but we've turned down all those offers (what does that tell you?). You just need to understand that you, the MSRP buyer, are competing with an initial population of buyers that have the money to spend on the toy of their dreams and care more about getting it than how much it is (I'm not saying anything bad about those people, it's just economics). This crowd will be done pretty quickly and then you will be able to get one at a price more in line with what you are willing to do.

If Ford sticks to their plan and produces the GT500 at a steady pace, but only for 2 or 3 years, you will see prices soften in the middle (probably not lower than MSRP typically), but will again climb towards the end of production. This is what we've been seeing with our Ford GT sales.

I think it will be long before 2008 that we see less than 10k. In fact, I think we are looking at 5k or less by Christmas and MSRP by spring. Once MSRP happens, it'll stick there until the end of the run. If something better is coming, the end of the run will offer discounts.

We are already seeing softening on the ebay prices. There are far more cars in the 10-15 range and very few in the 20+ range. We are only about 6 weeks into delivery of these cars. With several dealers holding on to them, the supply will catch up quickly.

I received a call from dealership in Spokane Wa. which wanted to sell a Shelby for 10,000 over. The vehcile was a power lease car. I do not know how they would get the car into my name.

The dealership that is ordering my car is going to sell at MSRP, which I can see is a great price. Do not lump all of these seller in the same group. I am 3rd on the list and will not see my car until late fall.

If you need a car at a good price with standup people to deal with, these are the guys.

Russ Dean Ford

1225 Autoplex way

Pasco Wa. 99336

1-888-266-7431 Salesman Jason Williams 1-509-845-3129

Russdean.com

Just venting alittle, I seen the new camaro concept car yesterday in person...no thanks :wacko:

Just venting alittle, I seen the new camaro concept car yesterday in person...no thanks :wacko:

Yeah....a '67 Caprice front end with an '84 Monza ass. Very spiffy. YUK.

:hysterical:

:shift:

bj

I think it will be long before 2008 that we see less than 10k. In fact, I think we are looking at 5k or less by Christmas and MSRP by spring. Once MSRP happens, it'll stick there until the end of the run. If something better is coming, the end of the run will offer discounts.

We are already seeing softening on the ebay prices. There are far more cars in the 10-15 range and very few in the 20+ range. We are only about 6 weeks into delivery of these cars. With several dealers holding on to them, the supply will catch up quickly.

RE: ADM , ... Spoke w/a broker today and he said he could get me one for 10K over for sure, and probably better - maybe 8-9K.

Now, of course this is only talk, but they are definitely coming down!

Bob Baker ford in San Diego was originally quoting 35K over for their red coupe when I saw it 2nd day on the floor. I basically laughed at them and walked out - that's when they immediately went to 20K over - don't know what it finally sold for... anybody from San Diego know?

And now there is mention of a white vert for 15K over.

Friend of mine just bought a GT for 166K MSRP, and there is one at a dealer at about 5K BACK of MSRP. Supposed last day of manufacture is Aug 31st, although I thought they'd already stopped.

So the "end of the run" thing doesn't really hold water either.

They're dropping steadily and I agree with others "MSRP in 2007"! Especially with all the "special" stangs coming out - CA special (some people just want the look), Shelby GT (350), potential GT500KR, potential Boss 302, and competition from Challenger, Camaro, New V8 M3, Vetts, etc, etc, lots of very cool metal to choose from - although I want mine to have a blue oval - but not at any cost!

I need to give kudos to Drew Ford in San Diego for selling theirs at $50.00 under MSRP. Had I gone to them instead of Bob Baker many years ago - whom I'd had a great experience with before - I'd be driving mine at MSRP right now. :rant:

Bob Baker wouldn't take my deposit @ MSRP. Pre-gauge planning I guess!

Guest evilchris

RE: ADM , ... Spoke w/a broker today and he said he could get me one for 10K over for sure, and probably better - maybe 8-9K.

Now, of course this is only talk, but they are definitely coming down!

Bob Baker ford in San Diego was originally quoting 35K over for their red coupe when I saw it 2nd day on the floor. I basically laughed at them and walked out - that's when they immediately went to 20K over - don't know what it finally sold for... anybody from San Diego know?

And now there is mention of a white vert for 15K over.

Friend of mine just bought a GT for 166K MSRP, and there is one at a dealer at about 5K BACK of MSRP. Supposed last day of manufacture is Aug 31st, although I thought they'd already stopped.

So the "end of the run" thing doesn't really hold water either.

They're dropping steadily and I agree with others "MSRP in 2007"! Especially with all the "special" stangs coming out - CA special (some people just want the look), Shelby GT (350), potential GT500KR, potential Boss 302, and competition from Challenger, Camaro, New V8 M3, Vetts, etc, etc, lots of very cool metal to choose from - although I want mine to have a blue oval - but not at any cost!

I need to give kudos to Drew Ford in San Diego for selling theirs at $50.00 under MSRP. Had I gone to them instead of Bob Baker many years ago - whom I'd had a great experience with before - I'd be driving mine at MSRP right now. :rant:

Bob Baker wouldn't take my deposit @ MSRP. Pre-gauge planning I guess!

Best post ever. Where are you from and what do you drive in San Diego?

I'll be picking up my Mustang GT at Bob Baker this Thursday. X-plan + 500 rebate, not bad. Plan is to drive it until I can get a GT500 at sticker on a local dealer lot.

OK...

Went to my dealer today where I have 2 GT500's on order, but no VIN's yet.

Have been preparing for the MSRP battle (my deposit for both says MSRP, but they were trying to get more after and up til now, you know the usual story...).

Anyway:

They received an Alloy w/Tungsten stripe Coupe on Friday or Saturday.

Only options are Sirius and Premium interior.

Looked at the car today (first one I've actually seen and sat in) and spoke with the GM about ADM's, the GT coming, what it is going to do to their ADM, etc.

They have a 20-k ADM on the window, but during our discussions I told him that myself and probably 100+ others were watching these cars all over the country on an internet forum, and that it looked like the ADM was declining fairly rapidly with a lot of cars already seeming to hit the 10-k mark and possibly moving further south.

He intimated that the sticker was a "starting number", and that they weren't getting a lot of interest at the price, but then quickly threw in "we do have a guy coming in to look at it tonight though". That statement was clearly an attempt to justify the number without a solid deal in hand. They've had the car for 3 business days already, and no takers.

Guys, if there was a solid snow-balls chance in hell that he thought he would be able to get the 20-k tonight, or even 15-k the conversation never would have gone as far as it did.

I then told him that if he wanted to get serious, say 8-k or so that I would post the info and he might be able to move it, and he seemed interested, not excited, but interested.

When I told him that I thought we wouldn't have to "butt heads" too hard by the time my 1st car arrived (mid-September hopefully) as I thought it would be MSRP or very close by then anyway, he told me he thought I was right.

Now...

This is a very large, established SVT and PA dealer with a 10-car allocation in a metro area of about 2.5-mil people within a 30 mile radius. And believe me, there are plenty of people in this town with "new" money that can afford these cars.

These cars are going to drop to MSRP fast, maybe as early as Oct/Nov, just my opinion.

Mike <------------- going back to my cave now.

Good information on this thread...thanks for posting it.

I think the car will drop to MSRP this model year...and the sooner the better. I have an MSRP deal, but, like many others, wonder if my dealer will perform. The higher the market, I'm guessing the more likely he will be willing to break his deal with me. I'm hoping I'm wrong and, as he has assured me, that the deal is done no matter the current pricing.

In any event, the best thing we can do is share facts with respect to pricing--your actual experience and knowledge...not just bagging on dealers for charging ADM. Though I've been involved in "arguments" over ADM, the real deal is ( a ) ADM exists and ( b ) information is power. So, let's keep sharing information about current pricing.

OK...

Went to my dealer today where I have 2 GT500's on order, but no VIN's yet.

Have been preparing for the MSRP battle (my deposit for both says MSRP, but they were trying to get more after and up til now, you know the usual story...).

Anyway:

They received an Alloy w/Tungsten stripe Coupe on Friday or Saturday.

Only options are Sirius and Premium interior.

Looked at the car today (first one I've actually seen and sat in) and spoke with the GM about ADM's, the GT coming, what it is going to do to their ADM, etc.

They have a 20-k ADM on the window, but during our discussions I told him that myself and probably 100+ others were watching these cars all over the country on an internet forum, and that it looked like the ADM was declining fairly rapidly with a lot of cars already seeming to hit the 10-k mark and possibly moving further south.

He intimated that the sticker was a "starting number", and that they weren't getting a lot of interest at the price, but then quickly threw in "we do have a guy coming in to look at it tonight though". That statement was clearly an attempt to justify the number without a solid deal in hand. They've had the car for 3 business days already, and no takers.

Guys, if there was a solid snow-balls chance in hell that he thought he would be able to get the 20-k tonight, or even 15-k the conversation never would have gone as far as it did.

I then told him that if he wanted to get serious, say 8-k or so that I would post the info and he might be able to move it, and he seemed interested, not excited, but interested.

When I told him that I thought we wouldn't have to "butt heads" too hard by the time my 1st car arrived (mid-September hopefully) as I thought it would be MSRP or very close by then anyway, he told me he thought I was right.

Now...

This is a very large, established SVT and PA dealer with a 10-car allocation in a metro area of about 2.5-mil people within a 30 mile radius. And believe me, there are plenty of people in this town with "new" money that can afford these cars.

These cars are going to drop to MSRP fast, maybe as early as Oct/Nov, just my opinion.

Mike <------------- going back to my cave now.

hmmm...10 car allocation? I wonder. Seems that at last official count, Galpin (being the largest Ford dealer on the planet) was to only get 6 to 8 vehicles and that includes share of nation. How could the dealer you speak of get 10 allocations?

hmmm...10 car allocation? I wonder. Seems that at last official count, Galpin (being the largest Ford dealer on the planet) was to only get 6 to 8 vehicles and that includes share of nation. How could the dealer you speak of get 10 allocations?

I don't know, can only tell you what I have been told.

But, this is a huge dealer as well, and they actually own 2 of the 4 dealerships here in the valley.

Maybe they're stating the total between both their locations together, I didn't ask if that was the case or not.

But, again, this is what I have been told by the dealership, just sharing the info.

Mike.

The Valley? If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Sounds like California to me???

Nope, not CA, but a pretty good guess.

Prefer not to state where at the moment, in case the dealership is trolling this site.

That could jeopardize my deals, and I'm not taking any chances when I have 2 cars on order that I am supposed to get for MSRP. Will probably never happen anyway, but I don't need to go out of my way to make it harder for me to get them.

If the dealership GM tells me it's OK to post the info about the one in their showroom as discussed yesterday, then I'll be happy to state where, and what dealership, and even supply contact info for them if anyone's interested.

Mike.

Good deal. I totally understand where your coming from. Sounded alot like the dealership that I have been trying to get one from. They still will not give me an answer on price and they are getting two in. I've been working with them on this for about 8 months or so and I was #1 on the list supposibly. They just won't give me a price and they have two dealerships in about a 35 mile trip.

Archived