TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baby Shelby

torchredgt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are really only 2 groups,

those who thumb their noses at the other guys car (from either side)

and those who love them both.

Put me with the second group.

I was going to say "latter" but I thought you might think I was saying goodbye in a Jersey accent. :hysterical2:

How about the group that "THUMB THEIR NOSES" and don't really mean it just for GIGGLES???? :hysterical:

It's this kind of elitist attitude that ruined SAAC--I have a real Shelby you don't... They are all "real Shelbys"; albiet for different reasons. Grow up.

Stuart

How is what I said elitist? I was simply showing that you can spin this 100 different ways. I really dont care either way. I love my car, that is all that matters to me.

• 8 months later...

WT :censored: ...Went to my local Home Depot last night to pick up a Christmas tree, no not in the SGT but in my wife's Mini and for some odd reason the guy that was tying the tree on top of the car was told by one of his co worker that my wife's Mini would take him any day and he states " I kill everything on the road" so that immediately caught my attention and so I ask what do you drive? He says a Mustang GT and so I say cool, a mustang man and he asks me if I have one and I say yes, a Shelby GT.

Here comes the chuckles..."oh you got that Baby Shelby"....man, my blood boils and my wife quickly sits in the car because she knows that I am about to have this guy who claims that he even worked at a Ford dealer 8 months ago have it. I asked him what are you running and he gives me the lame excuse that he's not going to tell me, so he states that I only have 350 HP and so I laughed at him and told him no our SGT has 319HP and there he goes again with that I'll kill your stang comment. :doh:

At this moment I decided to just let this ignorant idiot go back to work and told him to know your stuff before you start commenting on other mustangs and I told him that some people such as I do take offense when my Shelby is called a baby Shelby- I mean where do these A$$holes come off with these types of thinking- I guess that is why he no longer works at the dealer- I just had to vent......

So irritated, I figured only you guys would understand. So last night around 11 I walk over to this pizza place around the corner and run into this guy I used to know. I didn't recognize him because had bleached his hair blonde had on these rediculously large sunglasses( 11pm) some crazy short and cowboy boots. And he was with this like 50 year old guy ( he had to tell me he had a viper)and he was telling me about all these playboy playmates he is dating. Anyway I wasn't really impressed,kind of felt sorry for the guy. Any way we started talking about cars and I told him how I traded in my 05 Gt for a shelby, and the older guy looks at me and asks what year? I told him 07 and he said " Oh, is it one of those baby shelbys?" I was like um yeah its a shelby gt :rant: . I really wanted to put the guy in his place, but it was late and I was hungry and didn't feel like arguing with him. It just bothered me so much and I am still thinking about it.

Okay thanks for letting me rant

My dealership also calls them the baby shelbys even on the radio.

So last night around 11 I walk over to this pizza place around the corner and run into this guy I used to know. I didn't recognize him because had bleached his hair blonde had on these rediculously large sunglasses( 11pm) some crazy short and cowboy boots. And he was with this like 50 year old guy ..........

:redcard:

WTF do you care what either of these guys think anyway? Was their a pride parade going on or something?

I have had a similar experience once or twice, a guy knows enough to know that there are gt500's and there are SGT's. When confronted with the "oh you have the baby Shelby" I usually say, "yeah, that's an uneducated way of putting it!" :finger: This will usually garner one of two responses: 1. They shut up and walk away. 2. they say "educate me then." At which point you have the opening to point out the differences, the pros & cons to both shelbys.

I got guy number 2 at a cruise night once. We actually had a great discussion in the end and later he thanked me for the info saying, "wow I never really realized what the SGT was all about and now that I do, it's a rather cool car!"

I have had a similar experience once or twice, a guy knows enough to know that there are gt500's and there are SGT's. When confronted with the "oh you have the baby Shelby" I usually say, "yeah, that's an uneducated way of putting it!" :finger: This will usually garner one of two responses: 1. They shut up and walk away. 2. they say "educate me then." At which point you have the opening to point out the differences, the pros & cons to both shelbys.

I got guy number 2 at a cruise night once. We actually had a great discussion in the end and later he thanked me for the info saying, "wow I never really realized what the SGT was all about and now that I do, it's a rather cool car!"

I try to take this approach. Once you know your material (and i'm STILL learning) and are passionate about it most people will pick up on that and take an interest.

Some of the finer points of the car I attempt to point out:

- Produced at SAI by Shelby technicians - Mustang touched by Shelby in 40 years

- Authenticated by the badging on the dash, underhood and door sills

- Limited production numbers of approximately 2300 for 08.

- Kicked off by the re-introduction of the Shelby GT-H

- Perfect compliment of horsepower/torque and handling which was defined by Shelby.

- Turned a standard GT into something much more nostalgic and representative of what Shelby did once before.

Last but not least, use the MAN's words himself:

“The Shelby GT was engineered for people that put performance first,” said Carroll Shelby. “Working with Ford Racing, we created this Shelby to be an everyday driver that’s tuned for fun at the track. Those who value a well-balanced package will appreciate it. Those who don’t will be left behind staring at its tailpipes.”

..."oh you got that Baby Shelby"....

I think my first comment would have been, "Ya I want to work at Home Depot when I grow up so I can get a "grown-up Shelby".

Don't sweat it, there are lots of ignorant people. No matter what kind of car you drive, somebody is always going to have a faster, more hp.....blah, blah, blah.

Shelby GT: the Rodney Dangerfield of S197 mustangs? I've also read online where it was refered to as the "GT500's little brother".

I bought the SGT because it was exactly the look I wanted.

I wish I still had it, but back in January 2004, when the S197 body style first came out, I photoshopped what I thought a new Shelby GT 350 would look like. It was Blue with silver stripes, with a tribar pony on the driver's side of the grille...looked amazingly like the car I own.

I'm sure the new GT-350 will be a great car, but I much prefer the 05-09 body style over the 2010. The currrent GT 500 is a great car too, but it's just not the car for me. I like that SGT is truely a limted production vehicle.

Bottomline, is I don't give a rat's XXX what anyone else thinks of my car. I didn't buy it to impress them.

I think the SGT's lack of respect will work to it's advantage. Unlike the GT 500, Bullitt, Mach 1, etc., it probably won't be redone again. Long live the bastard stepchild of S197 mustangs! :)

it just pissed me off, because he was one of those DB's who has a viper and is single and goes around dating 20 year olds and thinks he his hot sh***. I hate that type, get a clue , ya know. I prefer the SGT. It wasnt that more for the " real" Shelby, I just prefer the GT, to me its a lot more unique.

When you are that age, you'll want a 20 yr old too! :drool:

• 2 months later...

Hey fellow sgt fans! Personally the sgt is the best lookin mustang ever to come from a new car dealer! When i saw my 1st one i new a needed this divorce present for myself! The salesman was tryin to sell me a roush stage 3 for the same price! all beeit had 1000 miles on it! but i only had 1 apple of my eye and looking back on it i have no regrets!!!!! :happy feet: also knowing that you dont get many opportunities to purchase a real Shelby for under 50k! its a no brainer! no disrespect to the 500 but it is never touched by SAI and possibly touched by the man himself! props to my brothers at Romeo Engine Plant in Michigan for building a great engine for both cars!! :bowdown: And of course to my brothers at AAI in Flat Rock Michigan for building both great American icons! The Toyotas and Hondas of the world could only wish they had such a great heritage! :ohsnap:

I happened on my GT by accident... I was at the dealership here in Korea (AFEES) I went to drive the new Challenger SRT8..

Well, I am a dyed in the wool ford guy, since I purchased my Dodge Ram 2500 with a cummins I was re-considering my Ahem....faith..

Ok,,to the point. I showed up and talked to the dealer about the Challenger then went out for a test drive. We went out to the back side of the airfield (basically access roads) then I got on the challenger, well when I mashed the gas on that 6.1 Hemi I was left with the impression that the engine had to think about it for a couple of seconds before deciding that severe acceleration was what I really wanted to do, Kinda like the annoying prompt when your computer asks you if you really wanted to shut down, knowing dang well it was only you that made that keystroke... Ok, a little bit of simulated weaving here and there to test the suspension and back to the lot we go..

Gosh, felt like I was trying to guide around Simba the great elephant! Don't get me wrong here, the Challenger is one heck of a car, I imagine even more respectful if you were cruising at about 3-4 grand on the tach, other than that,,its a dead fish off the line.

Once back Kevin asked me what I thought of the mustangs, said I liked them and he took me over to my ride :drool: Well, looking at the Shelby I wasn't sold right away, it doesn't have the appeal the Challenger has at first glance. I wanted to take it for a test drive but the battery was dead.. Four days later I showed up again,,the drive was on.. Again to the back side of the Airbase we go.. after some crawling around at 25mph (base speed limit) I pulled over, looked for the Po---lice asked Kevin if I could get on it,,a somber nod and the pedel went to China! I shut it down at an undertermined speed :drool: Looked at Kevin and said SOLD!!!

The more and more I look at the Shelby the more I really think what an awsome machine,,,sure its mustang underneath, they all were with exception to a few rides worthy of Carrols blessing... I am glad the Challenger still sits with no owner and I am happy I do not own a Vette, or a Viper, there is a certain stigma related to those folks.

It would seem Chevy guys always have something to prove, Mopar guys and Ford guys have always had an understanding and "Boy racers" well,,,no one will ever understand them...

You have a Legend, I cannot think of anyone who is more Synonomous with racing and performance than Carrol himself..

My 2.5 cents...

My first new car was a '86 Shelby Charger Turbo 1. I still have it ..... sentimental value. Then I grew up to my '93 Dodge Viper. Then there is my Shelby GT #444. I still have all three. All signed by the man himself. It's doesn't matter if it's a Shelby Dodge or a Shelby GT or GT 500. They are all Shelbys. If it has his name on it.....you can take it to the bank.....you really have something.

Hey fellow sgt fans! Personally the sgt is the best lookin mustang ever to come from a new car dealer! When i saw my 1st one i new a needed this divorce present for myself! The salesman was tryin to sell me a roush stage 3 for the same price! all beeit had 1000 miles on it! but i only had 1 apple of my eye and looking back on it i have no regrets!!!!! :happy feet: also knowing that you dont get many opportunities to purchase a real Shelby for under 50k! its a no brainer! no disrespect to the 500 but it is never touched by SAI and possibly touched by the man himself! props to my brothers at Romeo Engine Plant in Michigan for building a great engine for both cars!! :bowdown: And of course to my brothers at AAI in Flat Rock Michigan for building both great American icons! The Toyotas and Hondas of the world could only wish they had such a great heritage! :ohsnap:

here here, well said.

+100000

Guest hfrosso

last year i went to this "cruise night" for the first time and parked my shelby (to me the best looking car on the road)right next to this GT 500 (that appeared to been driven through mud before he got there). So a few people came around to look at my car and this guy said(GT 500 owner) "THIS IS THE REAL THING!!!"

pointing at is GT 500,now "THIS!! THIS IS JUST A DRESS UP KIT , THAT'S WHAT I CALL IT!!, THEY JUST PUT ON THE STRIPES AND CALL IT A SHELBY!!!!!

now he was pointing at my car!!! on that minute i felt like S@*&!!! next i felt like :censored: .

then i thought : should i point the differences of both cars to him??? :headscratch: naaaaahhh , hell with him!!!

I just walked away from him(and so did everybody else!!)

I'm also had a chance to by the GT 500 , but decide to get the SGT ,i just loved the car the minute i saw.(nothing agaisnt the GT500 ,i think it's a great car )

but i love my SGT. you just have to ignore these kind of people, and have a good time everytime you take your car out for a drive!!!

I run into these people all of the time, too. I have been asked by more than one GT500 owner what that plaque on my dash is for. They apparently were fed an bill of goods from a salesman and were sucked in by 500HP, not the heritage. They have no idea their cars were not made by SAI. They are not really car people and have no idea the difference between an GT500 and an SGT :headscratch: .

My dealer also had a Roush on the showroom floor but I was there to see his SGT and he knew that. He said most of us "car guys" know what we want and the car sells itself. All he does is the paperwork. He said if you come specifically to see a Saleen, Roush or Shelby, you probably know more about the car than they do.

People can say whay they want about our SGTs but we have the first Mustang body style since 1970 that SAI actually ran thru their facility and modified. We have a CSM # to attest to that. :happy feet: A stock GT500 comes off of a Ford assembly line with a VIN #.

I figure "I have a Shelby :drool: & you don't :cry: "

...we have the first Mustang body style since 1970 that SAI actually ran thru their facility and modified. We have a CSM # to attest to that. :happy feet: A stock GT500 comes off of a Ford assembly line with a VIN #.

1967 to be exact. In 68 they quit making them in the Shelby facilty and moved operations to the A.O. Smith facility in Ionia, Michigan

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexp...xperience_id=17

I run into these people all of the time, too. I have been asked by more than one GT500 owner what that plaque on my dash is for. They apparently were fed an bill of goods from a salesman and were sucked in by 500HP, not the heritage. They have no idea their cars were not made by SAI. They are not really car people and have no idea the difference between an GT500 and an SGT :headscratch: .

My dealer also had a Roush on the showroom floor but I was there to see his SGT and he knew that. He said most of us "car guys" know what we want and the car sells itself. All he does is the paperwork. He said if you come specifically to see a Saleen, Roush or Shelby, you probably know more about the car than they do.

People can say whay they want about our SGTs but we have the first Mustang body style since 1970 that SAI actually ran thru their facility and modified. We have a CSM # to attest to that. :happy feet: A stock GT500 comes off of a Ford assembly line with a VIN #.

Easy man! not all 500 owners arent car guys. I know mine never saw SAI but it still says shelby on it so its a shelby to me. In facti have covered up everything that says ford except teh engine bay so im tryin to get mine all shelby. I dont think there is a baby shelby. Otherwise the 500 would be infant shelby the kr would be tween shelby the SS would be teenage shelby and the DP would be adult shelby. See what im sayin? Go easy man go easy.... :salute:

Easy man! not all 500 owners arent car guys. I know mine never saw SAI but it still says shelby on it so its a shelby to me. In facti have covered up everything that says ford except teh engine bay so im tryin to get mine all shelby. I dont think there is a baby shelby. Otherwise the 500 would be infant shelby the kr would be tween shelby the SS would be teenage shelby and the DP would be adult shelby. See what im sayin? Go easy man go easy.... :salute:

Remember that the current GT500 was "BORN A SHELBY" right outa the gate............ :dance:

All the Shelby GTs started out as Mustang GTs without the Shelby name.......... :lurk:

"Baby Shelby" - Wow - you know - the only way there's a "Baby Shelby" would be if Carroll and his wife had children....................

They have the Shelby CS6/CS8 package available through SPP. This was the first "Package" that was put together by S.A.I. with the new 2005 body style Mustang GT as a starting point - COOL thing about that was that you could build this car YOURSELF!! It's a SHELBY!

The Ford Shelby GT-H was the first partnership between Ford/Ford Racing/Shelby(SAI) in nearly 40 years, to put together the GT-H / Hertz program! What a car! . . . . . This brings us from 2005 thru 2006 into 2007. In 2007 - Ford and thier SVT Engineers worked closely with Carroll Shelby to churn out the GT500 - but it was NOT sent to SAI for manufacturing. GT500's were built/sold by Ford. Beause of the popularity of the 2006 Shelby GT-H, it was discussed/decided and approved for the 2007 program run of our beloved Shelby GT's (Retail version of Shelby GT-H) Shelby got to build the Shelby GT's - Ford got to build the GT500's - Shelby got to put together the Post Title modifications to the GT500 which are Hella Cool cars!! 2008 they all agreed to continue the production of the Shelby GT and made them an even more "Limited Edition". The 100 Barrett Jackson cars, the 219 Grabber Orange Shelby GT-C cars, and the remainder of them were the 2100+/- Vista Blue cars, which I was LUCKY enough to find and buy. That's Cool right there!

Our Shelby GT's . . . ARE . . . a package! For those who were upset that there weren't upgrade "Packages" available for the SGT. . . . the fact that the Shelby GT exists at all is because it's a PACKAGE put together by SHELBY for the Mustang GT. Probably 80% of the items available in the SPP catalog are for the Shleby GT for us to make them our own and then show everone else what we've done to them!!

The Shelby GT-H's, Shelby GT's, CS6/CS8 cars, the GT500's, G.T.350's, the Dodge Omni GLHS, the Dodge Shelby Dakota, The Dodge Daytona Shelby Z and the . . . . . . . . Shelby. . . . . . . Shelby. . . . . . Shelby.

Are you guys starting to get where I'm going with this??????? THEY ARE ALL SHELBY's!!!!! Some got CSM#'s and registry entries, some didn't. But they ALL owe their existance to the vision and legend that is Carroll Shelby!

Enjoy being a part of that! Enjoy having a part of that in your garage! Let it live!

Trevor

Archived