TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oh, No! Not Again!

StratGirl

Ok, this is too much. So I'm driving down our main highway, and I see a white plastic shopping bag in the road. I think nothing of it and I'm goin' too fast to swerve out of the way (and there's cars next to me in both lanes), so I run over it. TURNS OUT IT WAS FILLED WITH WHITE PAINT!! Who the F$%#* throws a bag of white paint out onto the highway?!? I'm beginning to really hate New York.

Do you guys know the best way of removing white paint without damaging the black plastic underneath?!? By the time my ride was over and I noticed the paint, it was already dry.

fnt3.jpg

fnt2.jpg

If you are lucky it will be water based latex,Try a wet cloth and see.If not some form of GOO GONE or bug and tar remover might do the trick.Your biggest problem if it's not water based is the stripes.Be very cautious(Obviously!)on those.

Ok, this is too much. So I'm driving down our main highway, and I see a white plastic shopping bag in the road. I think nothing of it and I'm goin' too fast to swerve out of the way (and there's cars next to me in both lanes), so I run over it. TURNS OUT IT WAS FILLED WITH WHITE PAINT!! Who the F$%#* throws a bag of white paint out onto the highway?!? I'm beginning to really hate New York.

Do you guys know the best way of removing white paint without damaging the black plastic underneath?!? By the time my ride was over and I noticed the paint, it was already dry.

fnt3.jpg

fnt2.jpg

Girl, you have the worst luck. As far as cleaning goes, soap and water, if it's latex paint. If it's oil based or enamel or well dried latex, a product called goof off, not goo gone, GOOF OFF works well. Wipe it on, let it sit a few seconds, wipe it again with more, should remove. It's a lighter fluid based product, do not scrape or pick at the paint. Just use a soft cloth and don't drive car anymore this weekend!!! Sorry this happened. Hope it works.

Thanks guys! I should've specified that the pics were after I tried power washing it off, and plain old soap & water. Didn't budge. I got most of the paint off of the body and stripes by using a wet rag, patience and my fingernail. I'll try to locate some of this GOOF OFF and let you know how it goes!

Thanks guys! I should've specified that the pics were after I tried power washing it off, and plain old soap & water. Didn't budge. I got most of the paint off of the body and stripes by using a wet rag, patience and my fingernail. I'll try to locate some of this GOOF OFF and let you know how it goes!

maybe if u can serenade it. the paint will melt off :dreamy::wub::drop:

lol

Even though I'm a LP fan, at least you have good taste in cars. That might be pretty nasty to get out. I would call up a paint store or professional painter to get some advice. Not sure that will 100% completely come out without staining and I wouldn't be trying random chemicals either. I bet that went up in to the engine too...don't forget to get in there and attack that too. Some people!

Maybe try calling a local body shop, they might have something to tell ya.

I'm an Music Man guy myself, owned my own guitar store for 2-3 years before it got to big to do that and class. I'll let the Strat and LP slide since you both have good tastes in cars! :hysterical2:

Even though I'm a LP fan, at least you have good taste in cars. That might be pretty nasty to get out. I would call up a paint store or professional painter to get some advice. Not sure that will 100% completely come out without staining and I wouldn't be trying random chemicals either. I bet that went up in to the engine too...don't forget to get in there and attack that too. Some people!

+1 Good advice!

I'd also check with a lcoal body shop that has a good sized paint shop. They have to deal woth overspray all the time with paint made to stick on a car.

Good luck!

Be careful with the goof it is very strong and could mar the finish. Also do it outdoors last time I used it I got quite the buzz. I live in upstate NY and dodge deer and wildlife on a regular basis. Good luck try a clay bar it could possibly work without to much drama.

Archived