TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford 429 PI in 1968 Mustang

Has anyone done this or know of someone who put a Ford FE 429 in a 1968 Mustang ?

I have seen a few Hot Rod or Mustang Illustrated articles featured over the years

that had either a 67 or 68 notchback that sported this monster motor. We actually have

a 429 PI with the Big Block 4spd and nodular 9" rear end, with driveshaft as well.

So.......with all the major necessary driveline parts in my possession, the next thought

is what mods need to be done to shoehorn this beast into the engine bay ?

I believe the inner shock towers will need to be modified. But what about the motor mount

details. Anyone out there with knowlegde on the complete conversion or where I can go for more

direction ? Just let me know ! Thanks

ItalianStallion

There is a company that makes a new front suspension for the 67 68 Mustang that does away with the shock towers and you just remove them. Comes with complete K member. Check the Mustangsplus.com and they may have what you seek. Also you can check Yearone.com they may also have it. I just dont remember the name of the company that produces it sorry.

Art

Your right the shock towers have to be altered , for more info go to the Ford f.e forum there are for sure guys there that have done this & can give you the info.

Thanks for both your comments on this; I'll check the details.

Andy

It would be a heck of lot easier to do a FE motor, like a 428 or better yet a 427 :happy feet:

Are those blocks/head(428 and/or 427)assemblies somewhat smaller than the 429PI ?

I was under the impression the 428 and 429 were pretty much the same general size. :unsure:

I just happens to work out that the 429PI is what I got, so just trying to make use of that :)

Andy

• 8 months later...
Your right the shock towers have to be altered , for more info go to the Ford f.e forum there are for sure guys there that have done this & can give you the info.

this is mis-information they bolt right in, a hooker header 6115 with back two pipes on pass side modified will also fit, the drivers side will bolt right in. no shock tower mods needed

I made this swap way back in the 70's in my Boss 302 (429SCJ)

Are those blocks/head(428 and/or 427)assemblies somewhat smaller than the 429PI ?

I was under the impression the 428 and 429 were pretty much the same general size. :unsure:

I just happens to work out that the 429PI is what I got, so just trying to make use of that :)

Andy

Andy, not sure if you ever did this swap but a actually very easy one to do. Did my first one way back in the 70's when everyone said it could not be done.

the 428/429 configurations are a lot different. 429 is much wider but the angle of exhaust ports allows the swap.

If you are still wanting to do It I can tell you exactly whats needed, I even have pics of the header modification

Has anyone done this or know of someone who put a Ford FE 429 in a 1968 Mustang ?

I have seen a few Hot Rod or Mustang Illustrated articles featured over the years

that had either a 67 or 68 notchback that sported this monster motor. We actually have

a 429 PI with the Big Block 4spd and nodular 9" rear end, with driveshaft as well.

So.......with all the major necessary driveline parts in my possession, the next thought

is what mods need to be done to shoehorn this beast into the engine bay ?

I believe the inner shock towers will need to be modified. But what about the motor mount

details. Anyone out there with knowlegde on the complete conversion or where I can go for more

direction ? Just let me know ! Thanks

ItalianStallion

Stallion,

Contact Jeff Yergovich at R&A Motorsports in Lees Summit MO. Not only is he one of the finest Shelby/Mustang restoration experts in the nation, he is also extremely hip on doing things like this.

Jeff and my father were recently discussing cool vintage stang engine swaps..........

Let me know if you have troubles reaching him.

Kyle

Archived