TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 2004 terminator was more powerfull out of the Box

mr ford

I really have not had the chance untill today to really drive my Shelby... My first thoughts are of the lack of performance. Now, I maybe remembering they way my 04 performed with the ported blower and such, it just had the throw you back in the seat feeling when you would get on the gas...The shelby in stock form just doesn't have the same kick.And yes the blower is working.. I have driven other Shelby's and they seem to have more power than mine is putting out. I think it's gonna have to be dyno'ed to check HP to see if it's just me or something is not right. Has anyone else had this problem?

I really have not had the chance untill today to really drive my Shelby... My first thoughts are of the lack of performance. Now, I maybe remembering they way my 04 performed with the ported blower and such, it just had the throw you back in the seat feeling when you would get on the gas...The shelby in stock form just doesn't have the same kick.And yes the blower is working.. I have driven other Shelby's and they seem to have more power than mine is putting out. I think it's gonna have to be dyno'ed to check HP to see if it's just me or something is not right. Has anyone else had this problem?

You're right, but when is enough, enough? I started with the GT version, got use to the power but it wasn't enough. Jumped up to the GT 500 and although a significant step up, still didn't feel that notted feeling in your stomach and definitely felt Ford held back on the power curve. Then came their FR-1 upgrade (same as what's used in the KR) and had it installed at the dealership. The package came with an open air cleaner which allows a massive amount of air flow into the supercharger, a different (louder) set of muffler which increased exhaust flow by a bunch, BUT the most important piece was the reprogramming pack. This is what unleashed the power curve to throw you back in your seat...and quick. Where the full torque dumped in at around redline, this new re-curved parameter shoved it in at around 4000 rpm and fast. And best part, still under Ford warranty. I didn't opt for the short throw shifter after checking out a few, wasn't impressed and I didn't switch out gears because I do like the 20 mph highway. Look at dropping around $1600.00 for the modification + registration. Also...I had a bad MAF sensor which was arguing with the computer calling for opposite throttle commands. I had all the work done at the same time. The MAF change cleared my engine MAL LIGHT and the FR-1 took the car from okay launch to hyper (lift the hood up) launch from a stand still. The negative is wheel hopping at low 2300-3000 rpm until you left off the gas pedal.

Airborne

You're right, but when is enough, enough? I started with the GT version, got use to the power but it wasn't enough. Jumped up to the GT 500 and although a significant step up, still didn't feel that notted feeling in your stomach and definitely felt Ford held back on the power curve. Then came their FR-1 upgrade (same as what's used in the KR) and had it installed at the dealership. The package came with an open air cleaner which allows a massive amount of air flow into the supercharger, a different (louder) set of muffler which increased exhaust flow by a bunch, BUT the most important piece was the reprogramming pack. This is what unleashed the power curve to throw you back in your seat...and quick. Where the full torque dumped in at around redline, this new re-curved parameter shoved it in at around 4000 rpm and fast. And best part, still under Ford warranty. I didn't opt for the short throw shifter after checking out a few, wasn't impressed and I didn't switch out gears because I do like the 20 mph highway. Look at dropping around $1600.00 for the modification + registration. Also...I had a bad MAF sensor which was arguing with the computer calling for opposite throttle commands. I had all the work done at the same time. The MAF change cleared my engine MAL LIGHT and the FR-1 took the car from okay launch to hyper (lift the hood up) launch from a stand still. The negative is wheel hopping at low 2300-3000 rpm until you left off the gas pedal.

Airborne

Thanks for the input. How do you feel about the exhaust with this package? Is it a noticeable difference over stock? Do you like the sound it produces? I'm not looking for anything obnoxious, but stock is just too quiet.

Airborne

BMR LCA....................... :)

i had an 03 also. in stock form the GT500 did not 'feel' as quick as that. my opinion is the tune is what's holding it back. even a stage 1 will give the throttle response you think you should have had. my 1/4 mile times proved to me the shelby was quicker than the 03 but did not fell as impressive. look at my mods, just a stage 2 and it will feel awesome.

have fun

My 03 had a whipple and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be happy in my GT500 until I have one in there as well. Just a matter of when.... :banghead:

I have the pypes system on my gt and it sounds great!!!! The stock exhaust is large enough that you won't get any improvement there. It has a factory x-pipe so the only way to improve is to get rid of the cats.

Roger

Thanks for the input. How do you feel about the exhaust with this package? Is it a noticeable difference over stock? Do you like the sound it produces? I'm not looking for anything obnoxious, but stock is just too quiet.

[/quote

Anytime Getts,

The exhaust is not disgustingly loud keeping it's 50 state legal tone. I'm an old guy with some hearing damage and even older memories of what a muscle car should sound like so I can only compare to old muscle (i.e. GTO, GTX, Challengers, AMX, Trans AMs, Z28 etc.). They sound very similar to the old Sonic Turbo mufflers of the past or if you're standing behind an old 73 Trans Am H.O. A Low fumble at idle. If parked in your garage, with the door open, you can feel the pulse on your walls. Because the engine doesn't lope like a high lift cam engine would, it is about as close as you're gonna get. With your windows up, you won't hear the exhaust. The seals are good and no reverb anywhere. I didn't want that. When you accelerate, it sounds strong and heads will turn, but it not so loud that those same on lookers give you that ugly stare. Instead, it's more of an "ooh, what's that?" The mufflers exhaust tip is 3" and fills up that gap at the bottom of your rear bumper nicely without getting too close to the plastic. The tips are rolled at the end, the embossed signature is nicely done. Professional show room quality. If you look underneath, the physical size of that muffler will fill most of that empty space that your factory muffler leaves behind. They are big mufflers and yet another reason why you want a specialized designed piece and not some off-the-shelf chance. The body of the muffler is embossed with the raised Ford Racing signature. The steel material is of some type of high corrosion resistant composition many times harder than factory. At first, I thought it was inconel steel like what I was use to seeing on F-16 fighter aircraft bleed air ducting. EXTREMELY high temp resistant. I wrote to Ford Racing asking if I can swap a old (less than 500 mile) pair of M-5230-GTA exhaust muffler (currently used in the Shelby GTs) versus buying the SVT FR-1 Power pack to save money, since I already own the entire FR-1 Mustang GT Power Pack for an '07 onto my new '08 and they replied as follows, " To answer your question, Ford Racing does not recommend replacing the stock GT500 mufflers ...(they) were never designed to move as much air as the (stock) GT500 puts out and therefore, Ford Racing does not recommend swapping out the stock muffler. However, Ford Racing offers a Power Upgrade Pack for the GT500.." In short, the stock muffler still pushes more air out than the Shelby GT's "4 inch" chrome stock version, or Fprd Racing's FR-1 upgrade muffler kit for the Mustang GT. Only a Ford Racing SVT muffler designed for the GT500 can go beyond the air flow dynamics from that of stock. They rumble at idle like an old muscle car at about 6 feet away. After 25 feet or so, you can't hear them. If you're pulling away from your driveway, then you'll hear it's low tone rumble up to a half a block and it will fade away. While in the car, they sound stock...UNTIL to step on it. Then you'll be competing with the Supercharger's howling because of the open air cleaner. It's definitely an attention getter from cars cruising along side of you on the highway. The exhaust is noticably louder with the windows down if your cruising at a high rate of speed, but normal tone at a low rate of speed. It is what I wanted after listening to the stock muffler which barely rumbled. My first '07 GT made more sound (but traded in for more power). But your hand on over the tip and try to stop the exhaust flow and you'll definitely feel the pressure. Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps.

Airborne

To get rid of the hop get the ROUSH Wheel Hop Reduction Kit, which will not hurt the ride in anyway and also get rid of the nasty wheel hop. I have the FR1 power upgrade also and with the Roush Upper control arm UCA I can put the Power to the ground without the dreaded wheel hop.

To get rid of the hop get the ROUSH Wheel Hop Reduction Kit, which will not hurt the ride in anyway and also get rid of the nasty wheel hop. I have the FR1 power upgrade also and with the Roush Upper control arm UCA I can put the Power to the ground without the dreaded wheel hop.

Excellent...Thanks Cobra.

All the stock 03s Ive driven felt slower than my stock GT500

But do the Stage 1, 500rwhp and def much faster than a stock or even slightly modded term

I still have my 03 Cobra Vert and finally had nice enough weather this past weekend to take them both out and run them together on the Parkway. Both cars are stock except for the 03 has Flowmasters. Started side by side several times from about 60 in 3rd up to 130 and the Cobra had no chance of keeping up with the Gt500. The results weren't surprising to me. Didn't try starting from a dead stop.

th_MyCars016.jpg

... and the Cobra had no chance of keeping up with the Gt500. The results weren't surprising to me.

Not to me either.

Sometimes the emotion of the moment can cloud a memory. The first time I ever drove a muscle car I had the "Holy cow, this thing is fast" feeling because it was so much faster than anything else I had driven. So, after one has driven a lot of fast cars, then driving another fast car (except maybe the Veyron) would not have the same "Holy cow" type of feeling.

How's that mushroom habit working out for you? :hysterical:

I had an '03. In my opinion the difference is that Terms didn't have the torque these do, so as you kicked it in the ass the RELATIVE sense of boost was greater. GT500s have significantly more torque and the relative difference through the powerband isn't as great.

bj

Archived