TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1986 GLH: One year body style?

robertlane

Was the 1986 Shelby GLH a one-year only body style?

What Chrysler plant made the bodies before they were shipped to Shelby?

Robert the 1986 GLHS was a one year only car with 500 produced by Shelby Automobiles in Whittier California.

The GLHS was based on the Dodge GLH which was made by Chrysler for three years, 1984-1986.

The GLH was built at the Belvidere plant.

Steve

The 1986 is my favorite model. It looks really close to the VW Rabbit of the time. Is there any relation between the Chrysler and VW models?

Actually some of the early Dodge Omni's came with a 1.7 liter VW engine. The Dodge Omni and its twin the Plymouth Horizon were designed by Chrysler of Europe in the mid 1970's and sold in Europe before making their debut here in 1978.

If I recall corectly the european Chrysler engine would not meet EPA rules here in the U.S. so Chrysler struck a deal with VW who had already certified their engine in the U.S. There were no other parts that interchange with the Rabbit although they do look like cousins.

During the late 70's and early 80's with Volkswagens runaway success with the Rabbit, Lee Iaccoca was fixated on taking some of their sales away which is how the GLH came to be. At one point Lee and Carroll came up with the idea of naming a Shelby version of the Omni "the Coyote". We all know what coyotes do to rabbits now don't we. The Coyote name never came to be and again if I recall correctly that name was already being used by someone else. I want to say AJ Foyt had the rights to that name.

By the way GLH refers to "Goes Like Hell" but legend has it Chrysler was so worried about offending middle America that they only referred to the car by its initials. And GLHS refers to "Goes Like Hell Somemore".

Steve

Actually some of the early Dodge Omni's came with a 1.7 liter VW engine. The Dodge Omni and its twin the Plymouth Horizon were designed by Chrysler of Europe in the mid 1970's and sold in Europe before making their debut here in 1978.

If I recall corectly the european Chrysler engine would not meet EPA rules here in the U.S. so Chrysler struck a deal with VW who had already certified their engine in the U.S. There were no other parts that interchange with the Rabbit although they do look like cousins.

During the late 70's and early 80's with Volkswagens runaway success with the Rabbit, Lee Iaccoca was fixated on taking some of their sales away which is how the GLH came to be. At one point Lee and Carroll came up with the idea of naming a Shelby version of the Omni "the Coyote". We all know what coyotes do to rabbits now don't we. The Coyote name never came to be and again if I recall correctly that name was already being used by someone else. I want to say AJ Foyt had the rights to that name.

By the way GLH refers to "Goes Like Hell" but legend has it Chrysler was so worried about offending middle America that they only referred to the car by its initials. And GLHS refers to "Goes Like Hell Somemore".

Steve

One thing that gets to the VW people is which came first. VW people believe the Rabbit did. Fact is that VW had all air cooled rear engine cars and Chrysler started water cooled 4 cylinders in the 60s. The Golf was VWs first FWD water cooled car. The A412 is very much the same as A460, different bell housing mostly. I have a photo of a 2.2 turbo bolted into a Golf as well, seams they can go both ways.

The GLH had a lot in its favor. Wider track, larger wheels and tires, faster ratio steering, larger front brakes, larger engine, a turbo if you wanted it, larger spring rates, tighter struts, and larger sway bars. Thats a big list that isn't that detailed, thats just some large points. :hysterical3: VW

• 3 months later...

I remember reading about Chrysler using VW engines in L bodys. VW wanted an assembly plant that Chrysler owned in Westmoreland Wisconsin and VW wasn't able to pay cash for it so they paid in engines instead. I'm pretty sure this was in Iaccoca's book. Also the European Horizon although basically identical to our Omni/Horizon on the outside had a totally different chassis. Kind of the opposite to platform sharing.

Thanks

Randy

I remember reading about Chrysler using VW engines in L bodys. VW wanted an assembly plant that Chrysler owned in Westmoreland Wisconsin and VW wasn't able to pay cash for it so they paid in engines instead. I'm pretty sure this was in Iaccoca's book. Also the European Horizon although basically identical to our Omni/Horizon on the outside had a totally different chassis. Kind of the opposite to platform sharing.

Thanks

Randy

I read the L Body was Chrysler Europe designed. The 2.2 was US designed by the same group that designed the Slant 6.

Thanks

Randy

Randy

Welcome to the Team Shelby forums. Glad you found us.

I don't recall ever hearing that VW traded engines for an american assembly plant. Back in 1977-78 Chrysler was bankrupt but I'm sure VW/Porsche was doing pretty good. The Rabbit was introduced around 1976 IIRC and was an instant hit. And doing even better sales with the 1978-79 second "oil crisis". So I'm not sure why VW couldn't pay cash. I have Lee's book from 1984 but I admit I've never read it as the start of the Shelby days were not covered so its just boxed away somewhere.

Anyway I'm glad you're here and look forward to more posts from you.

Steve

I read the L Body was Chrysler Europe designed. The 2.2 was US designed by the same group that designed the Slant 6.

You're right and you're right!!

When the American Chrysler engineers were given the freshly redesigned soon to be introduced European Horizon to work with they would not accept the chassis design. The european Horizon used a torsion bar front suspension very similar to an old Valiant. Our cars got a design based on the Kcar or the K car was based on the L body. The control arms are interchangeable and even the anti roll bar from a K car fits an L body although the K member is slightly narrower on the L body. The rear trailing arm rear suspension is unique to our L body, even different from the K cars trailing axle. I bought several european manuals to study the differences.

As to the slant 6 connection it's even closer than you think!! People like to mention that engineers from the Chrysler V8 programs worked on the 2.2 but what is even more interesting is the tooling used. As Chrysler wasn't exactly flush with cash at the time the main criteria in designing the 2.2 was to use existing tooling and the only suitable stuff was for the slant six. It's no problem for an OEM to cast a block but the tools to machine the bores and establish the bore center is the most expensive. So the new Trans 4, and the Neon 2.0L and the 2.4 DOHC received the slant 6 bore spacing, almost identical bore (slant 6=3.44""-- Trans 4, Neon, 2.4, =3.445""). I guess it's more than coincidence that many people have installed later model DOHC heads on old 2.2/2.5 engines! Even the stroke of the newer engines were extreemly close to the three slant 6's. I forget all the numbers off the top of my head but they are really close.

Thanks

Randy

Welcome to the Team Shelby forums. Glad you found us.

I don't recall ever hearing that VW traded engines for an american assembly plant. Back in 1977-78 Chrysler was bankrupt but I'm sure VW/Porsche was doing pretty good. The Rabbit was introduced around 1976 IIRC and was an instant hit. And doing even better sales with the 1978-79 second "oil crisis". So I'm not sure why VW couldn't pay cash. I have Lee's book from 1984 but I admit I've never read it as the start of the Shelby days were not covered so its just boxed away somewhere.

Anyway I'm glad you're here and look forward to more posts from you.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve!! I might not be exactly correct on that VW could not pay cash but they wanted Chryslers' plant and they paid with engines. Not exactly Rabbit engines but very close. The VW's were 1.6 L with fuel injection and the Omni's were 1.7L with the infamous carbs. It was the only L body engine until about 1982 when the 2.2 became available. Also available from about 1982 to 1986 was a 1.6 L Peougeot engine with 4 speed standard only. I have owned a couple of these and liked them because they worked really nice and had a nice carb mounted on the front if I remember correctly.

I have a virtual library of automotive books but after moving recently I haven't got them un boxed yet but would encourage you to check out Iacocca's book before you list it on Ebay. LOL!! He had a lot to say ( all good) about his relationship with Carroll Shelby and come to think of it I think he wrote more than one book.

Slightly off topic but Walter Chrysler wrote a great book too.

Thanks

Good info as always. I was unaware of the difference in the GLH and GLHS Omnis. Is there a difference in performance and handling or is the only difference where they were upfitted?

I had a buddy who had a 1983 or 1984 (first year model) VW GTI and it was a pocket rocket. I have a 2006 VW Golf TDI which has a lot of torque and is actually very fun to drive, capable of 50+mpgs, and can be chipped and modded but that's for another forum (tdiclub.com).

As I have posted before, I am mulling the idea of purchasing a GLH(S) or a 1986 1/2 Mustang SVO when I get back to the states.

As I have posted before, I am mulling the idea of purchasing a GLH(S) or a 1986 1/2 Mustang SVO when I get back to the states.

Funny..I had to mull over that same decision back in early 1987.

However, being 21 a the time, my insurance company and the GLHS 1/4 mile times convinced me to go Shelby.. :rockon:

He had a lot to say ( all good) about his relationship with Carroll Shelby and come to think of it I think he wrote more than one book.

The book I was refering to is the one published in 1984. I haven't looked at all of the later books Lee has written since 1984 but I did pick up the latest one of where have all the leaders gone on CD. It's sitting in the car waiting for the next road trip.

Steve

Good info as always. I was unaware of the difference in the GLH and GLHS Omnis. Is there a difference in performance and handling or is the only difference where they were upfitted?

I had a buddy who had a 1983 or 1984 (first year model) VW GTI and it was a pocket rocket. I have a 2006 VW Golf TDI which has a lot of torque and is actually very fun to drive, capable of 50+mpgs, and can be chipped and modded but that's for another forum (tdiclub.com).

Sure, the GLHS received an intercooler, different radiator, tuned intake runners, new throttle body, new turbo, higher boost, new injectors, heated 02 sensor, and computer calibration and (valve cover on '87 Charger GLHS). The suspension received adjustable KONI's.

Archived