Mustang Shelby GT cost ????

1970boss302

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've heard from the Pres of Shelby Auto, it's going to be around $35K

Two questions:

1) Will they offer a 'vert?

2) Are they selling through Ford dealers or through Shelby American's dealers? In other words, do I have to bend over for the guys that have been giving me the GT-500 pole, or somebody new?

From what I've heard from the Pres of Shelby Auto, it's going to be around $35K

Although 35K seems "reasonable", if that's how much they are priced at, does it make sense to get a "lightly modifidied" Shelby GT, or would $ be better spent on a "Ford" GT500 with extensive (i.e. real brakes and a completely different S/C engine) mods for about 8 grand more? The real advantage I guess would be the much lighter weight of the GT versus the GT500. About $32K would really make more sense, as then it would be about 10K below a GT500, and about 3-4K above a Mustang GT.

I just returned a Hertz after a day rental and it was a fun car no doubt. Hated the auto trans though!

I have never driven a new Mustang GT so unfortunately, I can't compare it. Initial impressions are that it (Hertz) handled very well even with crappy M&S tires, was pretty quick (even with the sucky auto trans), rode a bit harsh, looks very nice, and is pretty thirsty.

Does anyone know the exact mods to the car? I noticed (besides tags), shock tower brace, cold air intake, a fairly stiff suspension, nice "rumbling" exhaust, different hood with pins, (BTW the original "Hertz" design looks way better than the one in the pics, but is totally fake and a trap for water when washing the car - would love to see one w/a working air intake system), brakes that are NOT up to the job, and it seems to ride lower than a stock GT.

That's just my 2 cents - help me out with an exact list of mods, and when they'll be released to the public guys!

Although 35K seems "reasonable", if that's how much they are priced at, does it make sense to get a "lightly modifidied" Shelby GT, or would $ be better spent on a "Ford" GT500 with extensive (i.e. real brakes and a completely different S/C engine) mods for about 8 grand more? The real advantage I guess would be the much lighter weight of the GT versus the GT500. About $32K would really make more sense, as then it would be about 10K below a GT500, and about 3-4K above a Mustang GT.

I just returned a Hertz after a day rental and it was a fun car no doubt. Hated the auto trans though!

I have never driven a new Mustang GT so unfortunately, I can't compare it. Initial impressions are that it (Hertz) handled very well even with crappy M&S tires, was pretty quick (even with the sucky auto trans), rode a bit harsh, looks very nice, and is pretty thirsty.

Does anyone know the exact mods to the car? I noticed (besides tags), shock tower brace, cold air intake, a fairly stiff suspension, nice "rumbling" exhaust, different hood with pins, (BTW the original "Hertz" design looks way better than the one in the pics, but is totally fake and a trap for water when washing the car - would love to see one w/a working air intake system), brakes that are NOT up to the job, and it seems to ride lower than a stock GT.

That's just my 2 cents - help me out with an exact list of mods, and when they'll be released to the public guys!

Okay, guess I should read some of the posted articles BEFORE I post, so I feel I've gotten some of my questions answered about the mods to the GT. Still no mention of the exact MSRP and options (if any) only 2 colors?! ARrRGH!

Love to hear anybody's input on my previous comments though...

From what I have been able to read it just seems like the car is going to have the Ford Racing Performance Parts handling package, X pipe exhaust, strut tower brace, short throw shifter, cold air intake and 90 mm throttle body. I probably missed something but that's the meat and potatoes of it.

AGAIN, just like the GT500 I would LOVE to have one of these cars. I wanted the GT500 for it's performance, but I feel like I would want this car more for the Shelby name. That being said I am not in a financial situation where I can afford to pay for the Shelby name. All of those listed mods released for the Shelby GT so far can be purchased and installed on a base GT for much less than the estimated 32-35K that this car will probably come in at, and definately much less than the actual cost that will be imposed by your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer - ala the GT500 gougefest. Actually from what I have shopped around I feel like I could get all of those mods PLUS a Saleen or Roush supercharger on top for the same money if I did the installation myself.

Soooooo, unless this cars price point sharpens itself up to take a stab at a sub 30K entry it will be the second time in a year that I will feel, for lack of a better word - betrayed - by Ford and the new Mustang hype.

My source within Ford tells me the Shelby GT will begin production in January 2007 as a 2007 model with an approximate MSRP of $32K + options (should you choose any). Seems like a reasonable price-walk for the improvements you get over a 300hp Mustang GT or GT/CS.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 14 2006, 06:52 PM) 35173[/snapback]

My source within Ford tells me the Shelby GT will begin production in January 2007 as a 2007 model with an approximate MSRP of $32K + options (should you choose any). Seems like a reasonable price-walk for the improvements you get over a 300hp Mustang GT or GT/CS.

And the warrenty.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 14 2006, 05:52 PM) 35173[/snapback]

Do you have any feel for when the order banks may be opened? Thanks!

Hello five oh, and thanks for the info as always, of course i have a question, do you think there will be a mark up on this car also. If production starts in january when do you think the dealer ships will receive the vehicles. Thanks for your help.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 14 2006, 05:52 PM) 35173[/snapback]

How about this thought... Wouldn't it be nice if Ol'Shel could tweek another 25 or so hp out of the engine mods to bring it up to 350hp? Then the car would match the GT500 w/its 500 hp. Therefore a GT350 w/350 hp to match its name.

And of course the upside for us buyers would also be another 25 hp. :bandance:

Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to find another 25 hp.

I mean it wouldn't have to be exactly 350, but within +/- 5hp to justify a GT350 name.

It would keep in the spirit of the original cars - one model with lighter weight and a "small-block" feel, and a second model w/a "big block" feel with greater weight and more power.

These would be 2 really nice options for the stang enthusiast! :bandance:

Just keep them priced right and make enough of them for all.

I'm not buying one to collect it, but rather to drive it.

Anybody hear a posted curb weight for the car as delivered with the shelby mods?

How about this thought... Wouldn't it be nice if Ol'Shel could tweek another 25 or so hp out of the engine mods to bring it up to 350hp? Then the car would match the GT500 w/its 500 hp. Therefore a GT350 w/350 hp to match its name.

And of course the upside for us buyers would also be another 25 hp. :bandance:

Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to find another 25 hp.

I mean it wouldn't have to be exactly 350, but within +/- 5hp to justify a GT350 name.

I'm ALL for an increase in hp! The more fun, the better. But, the original cars didn't have "350" of anything. This new car doesn't need it either. If the GT350 logo doesn't show up on the finished version, it may be a legal reason, or whatever. It still looks like a great upgrade to the Mustang GT.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 14 2006, 07:52 PM) 35173[/snapback]

An MSRP of $32K+ does seem reasonable, but then the MSRP of a Shelby GT500 seems reasonable, too. So the real question for us consumers is whether this car will be available to the general public in the same manner that Bullitts or Mach1s were available, or whether this is just another case of "let's frustrate the consumer" by producing a car that will be so limited in quantities that it will be available only to those who have either a rare dealer connection or the deep pockets to pay from a low of $10k to $35k or more over list.

Any thoughts as to the list is already forming at the dealers of anyone willing to bend over? And perhaps any dealer out there who is seriously interested in selling a car at list price, whatever that may be, will speak up.

-Bob

2001 Bullitt

Any thoughts as to the list is already forming at the dealers of anyone willing to bend over? And perhaps any dealer out there who is seriously interested in selling a car at list price, whatever that may be, will speak up.

Found this Bob. Unsure if its 100%, however you can evaluate his claims and decide to call if you wish. Let us know if you do. TMS/Good dealer? and here is the thread. I believe he reiterates his claim later. TMS/ how much for the Shelby GT?

i just spoke with a dealer in the cincinnati ohio area and he was the new car sales manager , he told me they are planning on already marking up the shelby gt's 10,000-15,000 over msrp because it will be considered a "limited edition" . he was not making a list and said that he would call me when he got the allocation for one or how many he would be getting .

He also told me the deadline for ordering a mustang gt will most likely be january :censored:

just thought i would share this with everyone , just my 2 cents and not all dealers are the same .

Do you have any feel for when the order banks may be opened? Thanks!

Order banks typically open about 2-3 months before Job 1. If Job 1 stays on schedule for January 2007, then I suspect the order banks will be opening in the next 60 days for the Shelby GT.

We have no list for the Shelby GT yet. Only a couple customers have asked about it, but once I explained that there's no supercharger and "only" 325hp they balk at it. I suspect that ADM's will be rather small, if there are ADM's at all, on the Shelby GT. Yeah, sure, limited production, Shelby's name on the trunk, built in Vegas, etc. However, it is essentially a Mustang GT with the already-available power & handling packs from Ford.

With only two color choices available, I think our best bet as dealers in to just order Shelby GT's for stock (not pre-sell them ahead of time) and wait 'til they show up to better gauge real interest in this car.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 19 2006, 06:52 PM) 36523[/snapback]

Order banks typically open about 2-3 months before Job 1. If Job 1 stays on schedule for January 2007, then I suspect the order banks will be opening in the next 60 days for the Shelby GT.

We have no list for the Shelby GT yet. Only a couple customers have asked about it, but once I explained that there's no supercharger and "only" 325hp they balk at it. I suspect that ADM's will be rather small, if there are ADM's at all, on the Shelby GT. Yeah, sure, limited production, Shelby's name on the trunk, built in Vegas, etc. However, it is essentially a Mustang GT with the already-available power & handling packs from Ford.

With only two color choices available, I think our best bet as dealers in to just order Shelby GT's for stock (not pre-sell them ahead of time) and wait 'til they show up to better gauge real interest in this car.

According to Amyb (Amy Boylan) on another site.....TMS (president of Shelby Automotive) there WILL be a supercharger available for the GT Shelby, however no details have been released yet, as to type, price, warranty, etc. :shift:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well our Shelby GT list was started a couple days ago. 6 people on it already. With no specifics on allocations, MSRP, Job 1, etc. we have no idea how to price them, nor will we start taking orders or reserving them yet. I still think the ADM's will be smaller on the GT's vs the GT500's. The big HP always costs more. Look at the collector car market. What's worth more? Boss 302 or Boss 429? Mach 1 with the 428 SCJ or Mach 1 with the 351 2V Windsor? 440 Road Runner or 383 Road Runner? 454SS Chevelle or 396SS Chevelle? 455 Stage 1 Buick GS or 350 Buick GS? V12 mid-engined boxer Ferarris or V8 front engined Ferarris? The list goes on and on. I think the Shelby GT will be the "affordable" way for many people to get their Shelby Fix, while the GT500 will be the top dog for the serious Shelby affecionado. Both will be awesome tools for different tasks.

funny you say that .... i was told yesterday by a dealership in central ky (louisville area) that they have a list and have one sold and the price will be around 45,000 to 50,000 and they dont even know when they are coming out and what the options will be.

funny and i was silly to think just maybe we all could have a shelby to own , not with these cars going thru ford dealers .

o-well i'll stick with the dreams of my new gt and take 20 years fixing it up like a shelby should be .

just a poor mans rant .... i'm done now :doh:

funny you say that .... i was told yesterday by a dealership in central ky (louisville area) that they have a list and have one sold and the price will be around 45,000 to 50,000 and they dont even know when they are coming out and what the options will be.

funny and i was silly to think just maybe we all could have a shelby to own , not with these cars going thru ford dealers .

o-well i'll stick with the dreams of my new gt and take 20 years fixing it up like a shelby should be .

just a poor mans rant .... i'm done now :doh:

As an FYI, The one thing Carroll didn't do 40 years ago is have authorized Shelby parts and a mod shop. That is about to change. So for those of you who don't or can't buy a Shelby out the gate, there will be plenty of parts, many of which we can't offer through the dealer cars. Hope that helps somewhat :)

Amy

I've spoken to three dealers in my area about this car. Two are charging ADM's of 5k over whatever MSRP will be. The third one claims they are not charging ADM's. I'm on their list, number 3, for MSRP but we all know how that goes. Wouldn't agree in writing because MSRP is not known at this point. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

As an FYI, The one thing Carroll didn't do 40 years ago is have authorized Shelby parts and a mod shop. That is about to change. So for those of you who don't or can't buy a Shelby out the gate, there will be plenty of parts, many of which we can't offer through the dealer cars. Hope that helps somewhat :)

Amy

amy when does the "shelby card" come out so we can get discounts on all the parts needed to buy from your part store ? :roses:

thanks for being a part in our dream world ! :rockon:

I agree - be ready to see this...................

I still just don't get how a dealer can proclaim a $25k market adjustment.

Hopefully some schmuck with more money than financial aptitude does not roll into that dealership and buy the car at that price.

Besides that, I think that that post belongs in another thread - not "Shelby GT cost??"

Archived