TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Brakes

motorjock205

Quick question about the brakes on the Shelby GT....

Last week, I went to Dallas to show off the new car to my kids...took my son, daughter and my son's girlfriend on separate rides around the block around the hotel we were staying at...after I got through with those runs, I looked down at my brake rotors and they were almost glowing red...then turned blue after they cooled down some...Is this NORMAL???

Yeah, I was hitting them pretty hard to whoa her up, and they seem to have returned to their NORMAL silver color now...just hope I didn't cook anything too bad...takes a lot to stop this car with the standard GT brakes on them...

Guess it's a good excuse to upgrade to GT 500 Wheels and brakes later on, huh? LOL

In my opinion the stock Mustang GT brakes are the weak point of the Shelby GT and prone to brake fade. There are options out there from changing the rotors, pads and brake lines up to adding a complete brake package. Try searching and reading through the forum; there are several threads with a lot of information.

Quick question about the brakes on the Shelby GT....

Last week, I went to Dallas to show off the new car to my kids...took my son, daughter and my son's girlfriend on separate rides around the block around the hotel we were staying at...after I got through with those runs, I looked down at my brake rotors and they were almost glowing red...then turned blue after they cooled down some...Is this NORMAL???

Yeah, I was hitting them pretty hard to whoa her up, and they seem to have returned to their NORMAL silver color now...just hope I didn't cook anything too bad...takes a lot to stop this car with the standard GT brakes on them...

Guess it's a good excuse to upgrade to GT 500 Wheels and brakes later on, huh? LOL

Unless you did some max braking from 100mph <lol> on the trip around the block, they should not be glowing red, imo. If this was just a simple drive around the block, something is wrong, imo. If it was the back one's glowing, the e-brake may have been set or is not releasing properly. If the front ones were glowing, I'm at a loss since you'd you'd have to be doing some serious braking, imo.

Dan

Its not a problem until the caliper dust boots start melting and smoking. Otherwise you just overworked stock brakes on a 3800lb.+ car.

Im considering pad and rotor upgrade soon myself. I used Hawk HPS Plus Pads and Powerslot rotors and it did the trick on my 2007GT/CS. Great for daily driver and Autocrosser.

Did you break them in?

The procedure is several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Unless you did some max braking from 100mph <lol> on the trip around the block, they should not be glowing red, imo. If this was just a simple drive around the block, something is wrong, imo. If it was the back one's glowing, the e-brake may have been set or is not releasing properly. If the front ones were glowing, I'm at a loss since you'd you'd have to be doing some serious braking, imo.

Dan

Well, the blocks were long city blocks, and I was accelerating pretty hard...at least 80 or so before I had to shut down again and turn the corner for the next romp...around the block 3 times at high speed...I guess you could consider that serious braking...oh well, the rotors don't seem to have suffered...I'm not getting any shudder or vibration, and I didn't smell any rubber burning other than that from the rear wheels spinning with the Traction Control Off....

Archived