TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Can-Am Racecar To Be Sold At Barrett-Jackson

Barret-Jackson will be auctioning off at their event in Florida this month a 1991 Shelby Can-Am race car. It's #59 of 76 produced and appears to be compete. It's lot #944.

I'm having problems trying to link to the actual page the Can-Am is on so I'll copy the auction description below.

Steve

LotNumber 944

Year 1991

CarMake SHELBY

CarModel CAN-AM

CarStyle RACECAR

ExteriorColor SILVER

Interiorcolor BLACK

Cylinders 6

Engine 3.3 V6

Transmission 4-SPEED

Summary Manufactured by Shelby Enterprises for the SCCA from 1989 to the mid-1990's. Car chassis #59. The last and fastest pure racecar from the mind of Carroll Shelby. Sold on a Bill of Sale.

Description This Shelby Can-Am car chassis #59 represents the last and fastest, in terms of lap times, pure racecar to come from the mind of the legendary Carroll Shelby. The Shelby Can-Am is a part of the Carroll Shelby legacy and as such a significant addition to any Shelby collection. In 1989, Carroll Shelby introduced the Shelby Can-Am, the same year Viper was shown. It was designed and built to run in the SCCA both as a spec car for amateur racers and as a stepping stone for pro racers on their way up. The Club racing version of the car used a 3.3 Liter pushrod Dodge V6 producing 255hp at 6,800 rpm. Only 76 cars were ever made which made it difficult for the amateur series to get a strong foothold. Fortunately the PRO series was much more successful as the spec nature and sealed engines led to some very close racing. This car chassis #59 was originally purchased by Mr. Gene Harrington, father of Indy 500 competitor Scott Harrington. It was most recently used at Daytona International Speedway for and SCCA meeting running in A Sports Racer where it broke the existing Shelby Can-Am track record. This Shelby Can-Am has always been professionally maintained and features a new fuel cell, rebuilt JFZ brakes and a recently inspected engine and transaxle. In addition to being an integral part of any Shelby collection the Shelby Can-Am has dual homologation with both Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) and the Sports car Club of America (SCCA).The Shelby Can-Am is similar to many of the Shelby designed cars in proving the old motor racing adage, that if it looks right it is right. Definitely another facet of motor racing from one of motor racings greatest innovators. **SOLD ON A BILL OF SALE ONLY**

When will the book be posted? The final consignment list is still not up at B-J and the auction is coming soon.

Tony I kind of wondered the same thing. The auction is less than 3 weeks away and there seems to be no final auction list yet. I wonder if BJ is even going to print a catalog for the event.

I'll post any updates when I get them.

Steve

Tony I kind of wondered the same thing. The auction is less than 3 weeks away and there seems to be no final auction list yet. I wonder if BJ is even going to print a catalog for the event.

I'll post any updates when I get them.

Steve

They put the Scottsdale auction list "online" about a month before the auction (that's how I found out about the B-J Shelby's).

Have you been to any of them? I'm going to go to the Vegas one in October.

They put the Scottsdale auction list "online" about a month before the auction (that's how I found out about the B-J Shelby's).

Have you been to any of them? I'm going to go to the Vegas one in October.

Went to the Scottsdale one last January. Spent some time going over the prototype BJ Shelby GT Mustang #001P

And I'll be at the October BJ auction at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Steve,

You probably know by now the 059 chassis did sell on eBay for $30,000 (US). A good buy at that price because it was one of the best cars in the US. I understand it sold to a foreign buyer.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Yes I saw the auction but wasn't sure it sold as the winning bidder had zero feedback. Thanks for letting us know that it did sell. I'm thinking that it would have gotten more at BJ but then again ebay only charged the seller $80 compared to BJ's cost of $3,500+

Steve

PS- I just sent you an email with some pics. Email me back when you get a cahnce.

• 3 weeks later...
Bob

Yes I saw the auction but wasn't sure it sold as the winning bidder had zero feedback. Thanks for letting us know that it did sell. I'm thinking that it would have gotten more at BJ but then again ebay only charged the seller $80 compared to BJ's cost of $3,500+

Steve

PS- I just sent you an email with some pics. Email me back when you get a cahnce.

Steve,

I'm having serious issues with AT&T email. Please re-send to bobyjo1@juno.com. I should be back online with my regular Shelby CAN AM email shortly.

Bob

Archived