TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saleen PJ

robertlane

I was at Saleen yesterday looking at the PJ car...VERY nicely done. I couldn't find any real turn-offs. I liked the shaker, the chrome around the tail-light panel, the front clip. . .I just think it was very well executed from A-Z.

Steve Saleen told me that they got lucky with Ford going to orange as they were planning on painting them all over again!

Just to clarify, he told me that the 5.0L is actually a 4.6 punched out and not the 5.0 FPP engine. He said Saleen can make the 5.0s very easily.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Saleen yesterday looking at the PJ car...VERY nicely done. I couldn't find any real turn-offs. I liked the shaker, the chrome around the tail-light panel, the front clip. . .I just think it was very well executed from A-Z.

Steve Saleen told me that they got lucky with Ford going to orange as they were planning on painting them all over again!

Just to clarify, he told me that the 5.0L is actually a 4.6 punched out and not the 5.0 FPP engine. He said Saleen can make the 5.0s very easily.

Any Pictures?????????

Excellent!!! Thanks for the update, Robert!!! To clarify, is the 4.6L bored or stroked to get 5.0L? I didn't think it was possible to bored the 4.6L beyond it's current dimension. Did Saleen give any idea of the redline on the 5.0L?

From all pics I've seen, the car is the perfect execution of a Boss Mustang (except for the price tag!!)

Excellent!!! Thanks for the update, Robert!!! To clarify, is the 4.6L bored or stroked to get 5.0L? I didn't think it was possible to bored the 4.6L beyond it's current dimension. Did Saleen give any idea of the redline on the 5.0L?

From all pics I've seen, the car is the perfect execution of a Boss Mustang (except for the price tag!!)

I always thought it was stroked to get to 5.0

I will get more details since it was really busy around Saleen yesterday. We'll be workining closer with Saleen, so I'll be able to ask more quesitons, etc.

I will get more details since it was really busy around Saleen yesterday. We'll be workining closer with Saleen, so I'll be able to ask more quesitons, etc.

Awesome, thanks Robert!! Now if Steve needs someone to test drive the PJ Mustang, let him know I'm available!! :shift:

The Saleen PJ Mustang Boss could be the fore runner of a new Ford Boss 302

The Saleen 5.0 engine has 370 HP very close to the Motor Trend article

on the Boss. Wounder if Saleen will be building the Boss for Ford ???

Can Saleen produce 7 to 10 K vehicles ???????????

The Saleen PJ Mustang Boss could be the fore runner of a new Ford Boss 302

The Saleen 5.0 engine has 370 HP very close to the Motor Trend article

on the Boss. Wounder if Saleen will be building the Boss for Ford ???

Can Saleen produce 7 to 10 K vehicles ???????????

I posted a similar thought in another thread but it certainly is an interesting concept. Given Ford's recent partnership with Shelby America on the Shelby GT, I would think Ford is giving serious consideration to producing other, low-volume high performance models in a similar fashion.

Robert gave the PJ Saleen high marks when he saw the car in person so the only question I have is when can I place my order?? :happy feet:

• 1 month later...

I posted a similar thought in another thread but it certainly is an interesting concept. Given Ford's recent partnership with Shelby America on the Shelby GT, I would think Ford is giving serious consideration to producing other, low-volume high performance models in a similar fashion.

Robert gave the PJ Saleen high marks when he saw the car in person so the only question I have is when can I place my order?? :happy feet:

Placed my order Oct. 12 for a PJ Mustang. Can't wait !!! Better looking than the Shelby and more authentic too. Better interior, better handling, better priceand a better collector car. Bought it from Frontier Ford in Anacortes WA and GM Mike Z. What a class act he is. 500 PJ's vs 25,000 Shelby's You do the math.

Way to go Steve Saleen and Parnelli Jones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Placed my order Oct. 12 for a PJ Mustang. Can't wait !!! Better looking than the Shelby and more authentic too. Better interior, better handling, better priceand a better collector car. Bought it from Frontier Ford in Anacortes WA and GM Mike Z. What a class act he is. 500 PJ's vs 25,000 Shelby's You do the math.

Better price? Aren't these $50k each? Beautiful car, though! Congrats! :shift:

Congrats!!! :bandance: A unique and beautiful car, ENJOY!!!

Great Car

Explain "more authentic" please. :shrug:

Amen!! And if you ever don't want to drive it, just let me know, I'll be happy to step in!! :happy feet:

BELIEVE me my PJ will be driven, LOTS on sunny days. I plan to wear it out before I go to the grave.

My Bullitt is my daily driver and I would not give it up for anything. With 50,000 miles on it its just like new and it now fits like a soft leather jacket. The new BFGs bring out the best in the car. Steve would love it. Drove 300 miles in 3:25 hr. this summer. Life is but a dream, Parnelli's on the Team.

BELIEVE me my PJ will be driven, LOTS on sunny days. I plan to wear it out before I go to the grave.

My Bullitt is my daily driver and I would not give it up for anything. With 50,000 miles on it its just like new and it now fits like a soft leather jacket. The new BFGs bring out the best in the car. Steve would love it. Drove 300 miles in 3:25 hr. this summer. Life is but a dream, Parnelli's on the Team.

Hey Kernardo, I ordered my PJ from John Watson at frontier Ford in WA.. Do you know when in Nov. they will deliver them? Can't wait now that they boosted HP. to 400!!!-John

Hey Kernardo, I ordered my PJ from John Watson at frontier Ford in WA.. Do you know when in Nov. they will deliver them? Can't wait now that they boosted HP. to 400!!!-John

stewdee ~ your PJ is 2 or 3 in the line-up at Frontier Ford. At Saleen your number 97 or 98 or 99if the computer info is correct and if all goes well your car should arrive early December or if all the stars line up in the universe for you it could be late November. ENJOY !!! Guys are starting to figure out the the PJ is the better car to buy over the SHELBY !!! You smart cookie you.

:happy feet:

Wow. I think I found my place. First post:

I just put a deposit down on a PJ Saleen going to Joe Cooper Ford in Tulsa, OK. They reported delivery late November, early December. Is there a way to check on this with anyone? Kenardo?

I'm really excited about the car. First time I put a deposit down on something site unseen (of course, I've seen pictures), but it was this or a Saleen SC and I went for the rarity of this NA beast.

Thanks,

Chuckdoc

I just put a deposit down on a PJ Saleen going to Joe Cooper Ford in Tulsa, OK. They reported delivery late November, early December. Is there a way to check on this with anyone? Kenardo?

I'm really excited about the car. First time I put a deposit down on something site unseen (of course, I've seen pictures), but it was this or a Saleen SC and I went for the rarity of this NA beast.

Thanks,

Chuckdoc

Welcome, you will enjoy it here, a great group of enthusiasts who love their Mustangs!! Enjoy the PJ, what an awesome ride!! Now, if I can just hit the lottery, I'll be joining those of you lucky enough to purchase one!!

stewdee ~ your PJ is 2 or 3 in the line-up at Frontier Ford. At Saleen your number 97 or 98 or 99if the computer info is correct and if all goes well your car should arrive early December or if all the stars line up in the universe for you it could be late November. ENJOY !!! Guys are starting to figure out the the PJ is the better car to buy over the SHELBY !!! You smart cookie you.

kenardo, thanks for the info bro. I sold my 69 Boss 429 a while back and have really missed having a Boss in the garage. I placed my order for the PJ back in april, seems like two years ago! I will drive this one much more than the 429, my only regret as it only had 22K miles on the odometer when I sold it! Funny, I still remember the Karkraft number kk 1671 . I sure hope we get these cars before the snow hits the ground.

Thanks,

Chuckdoc

Chuckdoc ~ Tulsa WOW. Hope you have a mild winter so you can get out on those country roads with your PJ Stang. If not you can do what I'm planning to do and that is wax and polish my PJ till the sunshines bright. I even ordered the fancy NASCAR Winner's Circle Red Boarder/ Balck & White suqare garage floor system $ 1,200.00 which arrives next week. As far as delivery of your PJ, see if you can get a production number from your Saleen/Ford Dealer. If you just ordered yours this week you should be some where in the mid to high 300's. I would project that your PJ would arrive sometime in January. Happy New Year for you. Gives you time to clean out that garage and prep the floor if your as Car Crazy as some of us. Can get it out of my mind. Kenardo

kenardo, thanks for the info bro. I sold my 69 Boss 429 a while back and have really missed having a Boss in the garage. I placed my order for the PJ back in april, seems like two years ago! I will drive this one much more than the 429, my only regret as it only had 22K miles on the odometer when I sold it! Funny, I still remember the Karkraft number kk 1671 . I sure hope we get these cars before the snow hits the ground.

Hey ~ Stewdee Well we all make nig mistakes don't we. 69 Boss 429 !!! So you had a bad day. Well I sold my 55 T-Bird Show Car some 30 years ago that won ovedr 100 show Trophies. Time heals most . . .

you know. If you ordered back in April you'll be in Heaven before me !!! Kenardo

Thanks for the info. I'm checking with the dealer for a production number. It was actually ordered before I put the deposit down on it, but something tells me it'll be Jan before I see the car...

:wacko: Here comes the waiting game!

On a side note, had a local mustang show this am and saw 3 GT500s, a few Saleen 3V and a bunch of mod GT's , Cervini, Roush, and one Foose.

One guy had a Grabber Orange GT fixed up with boss stripes and window louvres, looked sharp for a PJ clone!

One thing I noticed seeing all these cars in person is the GT500s sit HIGH in stock form. I don't know why, but there's a noticeable rise especially in the rear end. One of the things I love about the PJ Saleen is the low stance. Very menacing.

Cheers,

Chuck

....One thing I noticed seeing all these cars in person is the GT500s sit HIGH in stock form. I don't know why, but there's a noticeable rise especially in the rear end. One of the things I love about the PJ Saleen is the low stance. Very menacing.

Definitely agree, the GT500 looks like it is on stilts compared to the PJ Saleen which has the stance all hi-po Mustangs should have, low and mean.

:shift:

Hi all, I was reading on some other forums about insurance for Saleens. What is the best approach?

The Saleen PJ is going to have a VIN number of a Ford Mustang GT = 30k. So when you go to insure it, the agent pulls up the VIN and covers you like you're driving a 30k vehicle. Only problem is, this is a 60k+ vehicle, and if it gets stolen or totalled I want to be covered for the full Saleen amount.

My Allstate agent stated that they could do an 'override' of the amount and put the actual MSRP of the specialty vehicle over the Mustang GT price, with supporting documentation from the car sale. Does this sound kosher?

The other approach is to use exotic or collector car insurance like that supplied by Haggerty or others... This has an appraised value and you have to limit your mileage, etc...

Has anybody ran into this?

Chuck

:shift:

Hi all, I was reading on some other forums about insurance for Saleens. What is the best approach?

The Saleen PJ is going to have a VIN number of a Ford Mustang GT = 30k. So when you go to insure it, the agent pulls up the VIN and covers you like you're driving a 30k vehicle. Only problem is, this is a 60k+ vehicle, and if it gets stolen or totalled I want to be covered for the full Saleen amount.

My Allstate agent stated that they could do an 'override' of the amount and put the actual MSRP of the specialty vehicle over the Mustang GT price, with supporting documentation from the car sale. Does this sound kosher?

The other approach is to use exotic or collector car insurance like that supplied by Haggerty or others... This has an appraised value and you have to limit your mileage, etc...

Has anybody ran into this?

Chuck

Chuck ~ I would check with the Special Vehical Car Insurance companies. Hagarty, etc. The PJ is a Ford Mustang GT with a DRESS-UP package from Saleen. Your bill of sale will establish its value.

Kenardo

• 2 weeks later...

Archived