TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Weight of vert vs coupe?

Davidstan

oops - didn't notiice the forum I was in.

The GT500 verts are roughly 120 lbs heavier than a coupe. Other Mustang verts would have less difference in weight. Keep in mind I found out from Ford the 2005 Mustang was designed as a convertible from the start, with the ability to be a coupe as well - an approach contrary to prior years. This way - there wasn't much else required to make the vert - and not as much difference in weight.

oops - didn't notiice the forum I was in.

The GT500 verts are roughly 120 lbs heavier than a coupe. Other Mustang verts would have less difference in weight. Keep in mind I found out from Ford the 2005 Mustang was designed as a convertible from the start, with the ability to be a coupe as well - an approach contrary to prior years. This way - there wasn't much else required to make the vert - and not as much difference in weight.

Thats what i was hopeing for. A minor increase in weight with the way technology is today in platforms. I could possibly conclude that performance difference is minor?

Thats what i was hopeing for. A minor increase in weight with the way technology is today in platforms. I could possibly conclude that performance difference is minor?

I like to say little difference, but 120 lbs is 120 lbs. And in the GT500, the vert sway bars are smaller. The good news - I hear the body flex is virtually non-existant is this design - which is what we would most be concerned with given the torque.

I thought the vert was 200 lbs heavier. The reg gt vert I drove it seemed that one could feel the chasis flex at acceleration on a bumpy surface (street) when cornering. It is said among those who build cars that race, that 200lbs = 20hp in effective difference.

GT Premium 2dr Coupe

Horsepower: 300 @ 5,750 rpm

Torque: 320 @ 4,500 rpm

Transmission: 5-spd man w/OD

Curb Weight: 3,483 lbs.

Fuel Type: premium unleaded

GT Premium 2dr Convertible

Curb Weight: 3,601 lbs.

So we are talking 118 lbs more for convert on a GT. Not much for a convert.

But we all know that the white ones are faster and they are all coupes. :hysterical2:

This was from AOL autos site.

I thought the vert was 200 lbs heavier. The reg gt vert I drove it seemed that one could feel the chasis flex at acceleration on a bumpy surface (street) when cornering. It is said among those who build cars that race, that 200lbs = 20hp in effective difference.

There is absolutely no discernible flex in the convertible at all. Talk to a Ford engineer. They can tell you about torsional strength tests that are off the chart for this car. And obviously - the 200 lb. reference is incorrect.

There is absolutely no discernible flex in the convertible at all. Talk to a Ford engineer. They can tell you about torsional strength tests that are off the chart for this car. And obviously - the 200 lb. reference is incorrect.

Then why is SAI limiting the verts to 605hp on the SS package?

GT Premium 2dr Coupe

Curb Weight: 3,483 lbs.

GT Premium 2dr Convertible

Curb Weight: 3,601 lbs.

So we are talking 118 lbs more for convert on a GT. Not much for a convert.

But we all know that the white ones are faster and they are all coupes. :hysterical2:

This was from AOL autos site.

The main reason the White ones are faster is due to the paint process & the pigments in White are much less in grams than Black. Also the Black requires more Clear Coat so that it can withstand the claybar, buffing & polishing better! :hysterical3::hysterical2:

Hey Flyboy, I think on the shelby converts there is an additional brace? And you are right the weight difference is very minimal. I am just telling you what I noticed on a regular GT coupe and a regular Gt vert. free for all back to back. Just my opinion, I was driving both of these cars very hard. I got the SGT coupe, its suits me. You got a GT 500, vert it suits you . I am not knocking your car. But you should have gotten white! :hysterical2: Right on!

Hey Flyboy, I think on the shelby converts there is an additional brace? And you are right the weight difference is very minimal. I am just telling you what I noticed on a regular GT coupe and a regular Gt vert. free for all back to back. Just my opinion, I was driving both of these cars very hard. I got the SGT coupe, its suits me. You got a GT 500, vert it suits you . I am not knocking your car. But you should have gotten white! :hysterical2: Right on!

:poke:

UhOh... :slapfight:

:)

Archived