TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another Clutch Tranny Thread - But hopefully helpful

cloud9

I had my 2007 GT500 into the dealer for driveshaft loops and to install my 2008 GT500 Damper (Harmonic balancer with bolt) and Stage 2 kit from Evolution. While I had it in there, I asked them to look into the clutch/transmission issue so I could nip it in the bud. I haven't had any issues with mine yet. It was built 11/06, so before they started lubricating the input shaft in the factory.

My car has been stored all winter so I haven't been driving it since December 1st. I did the "clutch hiss test" before I took it down there yesterday morning. It was cold...probaby 20 degrees. With the clutch fully engaged, and the transmission in neutral, you could hear a "slight" hiss. Nowhere near as noticeable as when you are engaging it in first gear, but you could hear it faintly.

Fortunately, the tech working on my car is very familiar with Mustangs and had heard of the issue already. He found a TSB on it from Ford that told him to lubricate the input shaft. When he had the transmission pulled, he inspected my input shaft and said there was no corrosion and it looked like new. I have about 5,000 very hard miles on my car.

It took less than two hours for him to complete, and it was completely covered under warranty. I would recommend any owner of a pre-July 07 GT500 take theirs in for this service to avoid the hassle of replacement. I know the people that got a new tranny like the new one better than the original, but I wouldn't bet the farm on getting Ford to keep doing that.

In my opinion, Ford is nuts not to just issue a recall. However, I know they have had several big ones on trucks recently as it affected a number of my fleet vehicles, so maybe they don't want to hurt this quarter's earnings any more. A two hour service procedure on all these GT500s still has to be a LOT less than replacing complete clutch/flywheel/transmissions on the cars that have a failure.

If your shaft wasn't rusty you probably didn't have any issues. Good to know.

But if anyone DOES do this (like iceman), and the shaft IS rusty, then I would say it's definatly an issue that should be taken to the next step (new clutch/tranny/flywheel).

IMO.

If your shaft wasn't rusty you probably didn't have any issues. Good to know.

But if anyone DOES do this (like iceman), and the shaft IS rusty, then I would say it's definatly an issue that should be taken to the next step (new clutch/tranny/flywheel).

IMO.

I think you're right on that Joe.....a rusty shaft would be an issue that may require penicillin. :hysterical: It just seems that anyone with an early build should get this done now rather than wait, since it is apparently being acknowledged by Ford as a problem.

Post the TSB.

Is it on your paperwork.

Is it on your Oasis report.

Shelbydude or Fryguy....can you verify if the TSB is out there ?

Not that I don't believe you, but there is a Clutch service tip that we all know about but no TSB that we seen.

This is the tip:

Clutch_Service_Tip.jpg

Is this what he is calling a TSB, because it is NOT!

Post the TSB.

Is it on your paperwork.

Not that I don't believe you, but there is a Clutch service tip that we all know about but no TSB that we seen.

This is the tip:

Clutch_Service_Tip.jpg

Could be Grabber. He just referred to it as a TSB. Shelbydude or Frdguy would be better able to answer this specifically as I did not get a copy of it. Either way, IMHO it still makes sense to have this service performed under warranty before you have an issue.

Could be Grabber. He just referred to it as a TSB. Shelbydude or Frdguy would be better able to answer this specifically as I did not get a copy of it. Either way, IMHO it still makes sense to have this service performed under warranty before you have an issue.

The problem is that if there is not a TSB....then they won't do the work unless they have it apart or it's grinding.

A Service tip is just that....for service only!

Post the TSB.

Is it on your paperwork.

This is the tip:

Clutch_Service_Tip.jpg

That is exactly what the service advisor I talked to today read to me. That seems to be out there for common knowledge but the actual issues and the solution for the tranny and clutch replacement is a hotline thing I think.

The problem is that if there is not a TSB....then they won't do the work unless they have it apart or it's grinding.

A Service tip is just that....for service only!

They didn't have mine apart until they looked up this issue. Then they took it apart, performed the service and covered it under warranty. I have a great dealer here and maybe they were just taking care of me. However, they didn't balk at all, just performed it as a routine warranty item. Mine wasn't grinding and in fact, they didn't even drive it to check for a problem.

They didn't have mine apart until they looked up this issue. Then they took it apart, performed the service and covered it under warranty. I have a great dealer here and maybe they were just taking care of me. However, they didn't balk at all, just performed it as a routine warranty item. Mine wasn't grinding and in fact, they didn't even drive it to check for a problem.

My GT 500 was purchased in Sept 07. I do not have any hissing issues but I think it takes a little too much force to get it into sencond gear. I think the bumper to bumper is 3 years so I do not feel a sense of urgency to take it into the dealer. I figure that between the GT 500 community and the dealers, something fair and hopefully the correst fix will be worked out before my warranty expires. Graber and others, do you see any problems with this strategy. Don't want to screw up my car and lose lots of money down the raod? THANKS

- Dave

Post the TSB.

Is it on your paperwork.

This is the tip:

Clutch_Service_Tip.jpg

There is no TSB on this. They must have seen the service tip on this.

My GT500 was mfd in early to mid Feb 07 so it is a relatively early job two car for 07. I have noticed several times when I really get on it I can get a substantial second gear synchro grind shifting into second. It only happens at real high RPM and in second gear. I found that if I really make a conscious effort to have the clutch all the way to the floor it doesn't seem to happen. It has only done this four times or so. The clutch and tranny work great otherwise (I have the usual hiss when letting the clutch out and the hot clutch chatter). Is this what you are referring to and is it anything to address?

So are you saying that if your car has the clutch "hiss" this is something that should be done? I also have the clutch "chatter" once things are warmed up a bit, and it does "grind" once in a while when shifting into second.

So are you saying that if your car has the clutch "hiss" this is something that should be done? I also have the clutch "chatter" once things are warmed up a bit, and it does "grind" once in a while when shifting into second.

That's exactly what I am saying. I understand the hiss and chatter are normal-I am more concerned about the grind going into second that happens occasionally when I am really on it at high RPM.

I just got my car back yesterday, for the second time! First they did the lube and clutch thing, It didn't take care of the grinding issue in december, They ordered a new tranny and all and really made a big differnce!! So smooth now with the 08 tranny, I may still have to take it back and have a vacume pulled on the sytem as the clutch is a little soft yet, you cannot bleed the system on these tranny have to pull a vacum on master to get all the air out, But over all very pleased with Ford taking care of the issues on these cars. Later Mickey

I just got my car back yesterday, for the second time! First they did the lube and clutch thing, It didn't take care of the grinding issue in december, They ordered a new tranny and all and really made a big differnce!! So smooth now with the 08 tranny, I may still have to take it back and have a vacume pulled on the sytem as the clutch is a little soft yet, you cannot bleed the system on these tranny have to pull a vacum on master to get all the air out, But over all very pleased with Ford taking care of the issues on these cars. Later Mickey

if you want to save yourself a trip to the dealer, try this, i know it works on the 05+ gt's with the same hydraulic set-up, raise the driverside of the car about 12 inches off the ground and pump the pedal about 30-50 times and the system will self bleed itself. i have personally done this on a 06 gt and it worked great. not sure why it works but it does.

Dave, do you know your built date?

Along these lines, My build date was 06/07...I have a slight hiss when the clutch is pushed to the floor (In Neutral) for a few seconds & then a small hiss when releasing the pedal. It feels "Notchy" going into 1st gear, not exactly smooth...What do you think?

Archived