TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT/CS Lower Black Grill installation

Grabber

This is what the GT/CS looks like with out a lower grill. No protection for the cooler radiator fins at all.

Grillmod016.jpg

Grillmod011.jpg

This is the $75 dollar part that I ordered from SAI that came with no installation instructions. Very nice high quality part.

Grillmod006.jpg

Grillmod002.jpg

First pop the side pieces off. Get them started with a putty knife and then pull with your fingers. They will pop off.

Grillmod026.jpg

Grillmod023.jpg

Grillmod018.jpg

Rig some tie wire on the grill so you can pull it tight to the inside bumper housing. It mounts from behind and there is no way to hold it very well.

Grillmod027.jpg

Get some 1/8 inch by 1/2 inch rivets.

Grillmod030.jpg

Lay out the holes on the front of the bumper and drill some pilot holes thru the plastic bumper that will score the new metal grill so you can then drill the grill out. The 2 holes in oppisite corners of the SAI grill are useless. :finger: There is no way to transfer the marks to the bumper accurately.

Grillmod043.jpg

Grillmod047.jpg

Grillmod046.jpg

Then put 4 rivets in.

Grillmod053.jpg

Grillmod056.jpg

Then snap the side covers back on.

Grillmod064.jpg

Looks Great Grabber

is the new lower grill the same plastic as the side faux grill pieces?

I notice a color difference, is this due to new vs. aged?

Looks Great Grabber

The grilles are available in billett to match the GT grille or a glossy black. A matte black would be nice...

Looks Great Grabber

There is a slight color difference. The plastic side pieces are flat and the metal grill is semi gloss black. The new grill blends in and you can hardly notice it. That's what I wanted, the stealth look.

The #1 reason I bought the grill was to give the cooler radiator fins some protection as it was totally open. My order shipped 3 days after I placed it, and then it took 3 days to get to WA from NV. When it shipped, I received a e-mail notification with a tracking number. Also SAI requires someone sign for the part, they will not leave it on the porch.

Awesome looks and great "How To" explanation with video to boot!!

Thanks - this is first on my mod list...second, sequential tail lights. Anyone have some comments on those and which vendor to purchase from?

Andy.

Awesome looks and great "How To" explanation with video to boot!!

Thanks - this is first on my mod list...second, sequential tail lights. Anyone have some comments on those and which vendor to purchase from?

Andy.

Hey, Andy... if you do a search on sequential tail lights you'll get a lot of hits but there have been quite a few mentions in various threads last year. Some folks have liked these and these (click second item on left), and here's a good article on the install (the ECU actually controlls the lights on the '05-up).

Good luck! --Dan

• 1 month later...

Tana drove the car the last 3 days. She loves the look of the new lower grill and the front plate removed. We have another storm moving in tonight so I washed the car so it will be ready for her next outing when the weather breaks again.

I snapped a couple photos showing the new look.

th_CaliforniaSpecial009.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial012.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial014.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial015.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial017.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial018.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial019.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial020.jpg

The California Specials are sweet!That grill really finishes the front end off nicely!I've been thinking of putting some of the plastic ones that look like the outer lower inserts on my Bullitt for the added protection also.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own lower grille from material I found at Home depot. I cut it to size and formed it to fit then painted it black with bedliner paint so it wouldn't chip easily. I also used two MGW polished billet cupholder trim rings from my '03 Mach 1 to make the brake cooling ducts. I made the grille emblem from a snake I had from my '01 Cobra and some lettering I bought on-line. Total cost for everything $70.00.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/uploads/1...4_197_11088.jpg[/url]

MVC_001F.JPG

MVC_008F.JPG

MVC_001F.JPG

MVC_008F.JPG

Silverhorse racing is coming out with a lower grille shortly that is supposed to match the upper. They just released one for regular GTs.

I am happy with the Shelby Grill.

It's installed for good.

th_ComboCars060.jpg

th_ComboCars059.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the help, the rivets are a good idea. I will do it in the spring. It is a spoiled Shelby and only goes out when it is warm enough to put the top down!

Silverhorse racing now has a grill for the GT/CS that matches the factory grill. I think it is about $80.00.

I am going to fit it over Winter, looks great.

I did it yesterday. Takes about a minute. Looking at Grabber's install photos, you reach in and un-snap the two tabs nearest the opening (on each side), slip one end of the new part under one (far enough so the other end clears), center it, and snapt the end plates back in. The end. Not much craftsmanship or drama there!

Looks good, except, as in the case of the Shelby item, the "color" doesn't match. End (stock) panels are flattish black, the SHR piece is shinyish.

I'll attach one photo; I have several, but my familiarity with adding thumbnail/links is absent and I don't like to take up a lot of screen space.

orig.jpg

Others, and more projected ('Shopped) pictures here

Archived