TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why a Gas Guzzler Tax and who's getting rich off of it???

motorjock205

Sorry to bring you the news, but US oil consumption is driven by NIMBY. It's easier and less impact on us to do all that nasty stuff in someone else's back yard.

When gasoline hits $5/gallon for a few years sustained, there will be alot fewer tree huggers. Drilling in Alaska, off shore in in the Gulf of Mexico will be suddenly more appealing. There are ways to drill now with only temporary impact and after the well is done it's hardly visible.

Just my 2c.

I can assure you that if we suddenly open up Alaska tomorrow they wont drop the price of oil. Chavez threatened Columbia today and oil went up. WHY?? Cocaine should go up in price not oil. because traders are getting rich driving it up. Speculation and the american dollar are driving the price up. We are in a mild winter and driving is low because it is winter yet we have record gas prices. The demand part isnt as big a driver as it usually is. Greed is.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did a little more checking on this gas guzzler tax thing here... http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420f06042.htm and I'm sad to say that the 2008 SGT missed it by .1 according to the EPA. 22.4 MPG is their advertised MPG for the Shelby GT. What a CROCK!!! I have taken a couple of trips in my SGT now, and the WORST I have got was 24.3 MPG combined Highway and City over a 300 + mile trip... The BEST I got was 28.5 on my very first trip...

The EPA also states that since this law was enacted in like 1978, the SUV's and such are exempt because there were relatively few of them being used as passenger vehicles at that time....Well, OK, that was like 30 years ago!!!! Take a look again!!! The SUV's and large Pickups are EVERYWHERE now!!! EATING GAS AN AN UNGODLY RATE compared to our little Mustangs!

Time to elect some new blood I say! Someone who will abolish the IRS who just happens to be the agency who collects this "gas guzzler" tax by the way!!!

OK, OK, I'll stop ranting now!!!!!

the tax is tax deductable on 1040 long form per my accountant. some bennifit to it

Wish I saw this before I filed my taxes. Im sure at this point the amount of refund difference wouldnt even cover the amount it takes to amend the return.

Wish I saw this before I filed my taxes. Im sure at this point the amount of refund difference wouldnt even cover the amount it takes to amend the return.

My accountant looked and looked for a reason why i could NOT claim the gas guzzler tax...so we put it on there. Saved me some $$$$

I guess if the IRS refused it, Iwill have to make it up...but oh well

Archived