TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR on ebay already met reserve

switz

Wow, someone acutally set a reasonable (cough-cough) reserve, or at least we think it is resonable since we have been soooo conditioned to expect the extreem ADM's. Kudo's to them, and MM is right, this will set the market (for at least 1 car) :hysterical:

No vin # listed and more importantly......

"...we cannot guarantee a delivery date."

Could luck trying to enforce this "sales agreement".

Steve

It is a little hard to list a vin when none exist. These are all presales and no dealer can guarantee a delivery date on these.

Even once they have a scheduled build date, they still can't guarantee a delivery date since the car gets shipped to SAI from Detroit and God knows how long it can sit at SAI before it ever gets built and shipped to the dealer.

I JUST got our SGT Vert from SAI and they had it since Nov 2 2007. The car was built in Sept.

Ford is just now accepting orders on these. So the only thing any dealer can guarantee right now is the fact they have been issued an allocation to get one. That's it!

This is pretty much no different than what everyone went through with getting a GT500 last year.

It is a little hard to list a vin when none exist. These are all presales and no dealer can guarantee a delivery date on these.

Without a vin number it will be a little hard to enforce the "sales contract". How will you convince a judge that "your" car was sold to someone else because the dealer accepted more money for it from a local buyer when it arrived at the dealership in the nice spring weather.

Presales are against ebay policy.

Steve

Without a vin number it will be a little hard to enforce the "sales contract". How will you convince a judge that "your" car was sold to someone else because the dealer accepted more money for it from a local buyer when it arrived at the dealership in the nice spring weather.

Presales are against ebay policy.

Steve

ShelbyDude could answer this better than me but here goes. Every order gets a Vehicle Order Confirmation Sheet that contains much info like options ordered, order # & dealership # & name to name a few. With some inside info you can track your order after it has been placed. Later the KR will get a serial #. As the dealer will only get one KR unless he trades or purchases one from another dealer an order is easy to track. All this will let you keep tabs on your car & it's progress down to the estimated time of delivery....shoyoright

Yes I understand what you and Shelbydude are saying. All I'm saying is that trying to enforce an ebay auction in a court of law is about near impossible if this KR gets sold to someone else.

Any sales contract the dealer writes up without a vin number will basically be nothing more than a deposit agreement on a "future" vehicle to be supplied by that dealership at a later time.

No court of law can enforce a sales contract or award damages with so many loopholes like NO delivery date and NO vin number. I understand why there is no vin number but a court of law wont and will rule in the dealerships favor that there was no agreed upon delivery date(s).

All I'm trying to say is you would have to be naive to think that a dealership would turn away an offer of say $140k in May when the KR rolls off the truck in the nice spring weather because it was already sold on ebay in March for $99k

And yes I'm sure that there is at least one dealer that would honor their ebay price I'm just saying experience has shown the majority will not.

Now if the ebay buyer holds firms and gets the dealership to give them a vin and a sales contract showing this vin they should have a good chance of completing the sale.

Steve

PS- Sorry if I sound jaded but I've seen dealers sell cars that were special ordered by a customer only to be sold by another salesperson because their customer saw it when it was delivered.

Yes I understand what you and Shelbydude are saying. All I'm saying is that trying to enforce an ebay auction in a court of law is about near impossible if this KR gets sold to someone else.

Any sales contract the dealer writes up without a vin number will basically be nothing more than a deposit agreement on a "future" vehicle to be supplied by that dealership at a later time.

No court of law can enforce a sales contract or award damages with so many loopholes like NO delivery date and NO vin number. I understand why there is no vin number but a court of law wont and will rule in the dealerships favor that there was no agreed upon delivery date(s).

All I'm trying to say is you would have to be naive to think that a dealership would turn away an offer of say $140k in May when the KR rolls off the truck in the nice spring weather because it was already sold on ebay in March for $99k

And yes I'm sure that there is at least one dealer that would honor their ebay price I'm just saying experience has shown the majority will not.

Now if the ebay buyer holds firms and gets the dealership to give them a vin and a sales contract showing this vin they should have a good chance of completing the sale.

Steve

PS- Sorry if I sound jaded but I've seen dealers sell cars that were special ordered by a customer only to be sold by another salesperson because their customer saw it when it was delivered.

I worked as a new car dealer in a past life. This is all true.

CaptDave

My understanding of ebay is when you offer a car and someone bids on it it is a contract. I am no lawyer (thank God) so I don't know what type of damages you could get from the dealer. Maybe Michael Morris can chime in.

I'm a part time real estate broker and we have "Liquidated damages" vs. "specific performance" Without a written contract, and even in most circumstances, the best you will do is "liquidated damage", which usually means return of cash deposits. I took a promissory note on a specific performance contract and my attorney said it wasn't worth going to court.

As far as eBay goes, ask John Schneider how successful he was in collecting his money on the General Lee.

Good luck.

This might be the one to watch (at least right now). Looks like a low (not really) reserve was met and it looks like it is going to sell with one day and 23 hours left. Currently at $99,995.00.

Look Here

Currently at $121,100. My experiance with eBay and cars is that if its a hot item - it will climb within the last 30 minutes of the auction.

Bidder has a feedback rating of 1 on $120K?

That doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the bidder. I guess it's like the posts on this site, you have to start with one. Personally, I registed on Ebay a year and a half ago with the idea of purchasing a GT500 as my main motivation. Maybe some of these bidders with a rating of 1 just did the same.

Steve

I won't argue that dealers have taken deposits and then sold the cars out from under people, but that has to bearing here. You do NOT need a vin or a spefic delivery date to enforce a contract.

The ebay listing itself is just merely something more to add to the defense. You still need a written purchase agreement with the dealer. Vin or no vin, that contract would be enforceable.

As for delivery date, just out to be delivered on or before such and such date. Use a date several months out past the anticipated date. For example, Ford claims "most" of these should be built and delivered by June or July. So use November 1st 2008 or something to insure plenty of time for the car to arrive.

IF the dealer pulled anything you would have legal grounds to sue for any damages. The problem is you HAVE to sue to get anything. This is where most buyers just end up getting burned. They either feel it isn't worth the headache to sue over or don't have the money to sue by paying for an attorney. I would think anyone buying this car for that type of money would have no problem as far as having the money to sue a dealer.

So, could the dealer sell it to someone else? Sure they can. You can sue them over it and win as well! The key is, will you sue over it??? This is WHY many dealers get away with it. They know most if not all customers won't bother and will just make threats about it! I say, sue them for all you can get!!! They would deserve it! But don't say it isn't enforceable, because if you have a signed contract then it most certainly IS enforceable! It is just a question and matter of wether you pursue it or not.

Well...it sold for $122,099.00. Big but not as big as the fools offering them for $180,000.00. It will be very interesting to see what these are going for when 500 or 600 hit the market. I don't think there are that many people out there who will spend this kind of dough for these. My future Super Snake looks better all the time. :yahoo:

I would think anyone buying this car for that type of money would have no problem as far as having the money to sue a dealer.

But thats where the big issue comes in. What are their damages?

The dealers defense will be "your honor we have no problem selling Mr Ebay buyer a KR for $99k. We are just waiting for one to be delivered by Ford. When we get one we will call Mr Buyer."

So without a vin number or delivery date the judge is going to rule in the dealers favor because the buyer has no damages and the dealer is willing to fulfill the contract. Now if the buyer had a vin # and could show that the dealer sold "his" car to someone else and that the buyer had to purchase another KR from another dealer for say $125k then the buyer can claim he has damages to the tune of $26k

I guess it all depends on what side of the desk one is sitting on.

Steve

That doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the bidder. I guess it's like the posts on this site, you have to start with one. Personally, I registed on Ebay a year and a half ago with the idea of purchasing a GT500 as my main motivation. Maybe some of these bidders with a rating of 1 just did the same.

Well yes and no. The winning bidder has been on ebay for OVER FOUR YEARS and just received their first feedback a few weeks ago for a pickle dish.

Seems strange to me that in over four years on ebay the most you can find to buy is a pickle dish and then suddenly you bid $122,000 on a Shelby with no other bids on any of the other Shelbys. Yes it can be completely legit but from my experience old unused ebay accounts with no feedback who suddenly bid large dollars do not always follow thru.

Also the multiple bids placed by the winner at 6pm Saturday night and then 6AM Sunday morning did nothing but hurt them when the auction closed 12 hours later. They basically paid $2,000 more for the car because they gave the second bidder a chance to come back and raise their bid.

Steve

I agree with Steve on the fact that you HAVE nothing to sue over, IF you dont have a VIN. Mr customer your car is coming as soon as Ford builds it. What are you going to sue them for. DAMAGES? what damages. I do agree its a crappy thing to do, but ebay cant do anything but suspend the account. My bro in law was scammed on ebay ONCE. He tried everything and no one could help him. The diffenrence is this is a FORD dealer and they can be tracked down.

I dont know if Im correct on this, but I dont see anything the customer could do but get his deposit back and MAYBE some interest on him money. To see if the dealer was running his on bid you can keeping watching the seller and he will RELIST saying the orginal bidder backed out or couldnt get the money. Will be something cheesy like that.

BUYER BEWARE! Find a good dealer and stay with them guys!

michael morris

Well yes and no. The winning bidder has been on ebay for OVER FOUR YEARS and just received their first feedback a few weeks ago for a pickle dish.

Seems strange to me that in over four years on ebay the most you can find to buy is a pickle dish and then suddenly you bid $122,000 on a Shelby with no other bids on any of the other Shelbys. Yes it can be completely legit but from my experience old unused ebay accounts with no feedback who suddenly bid large dollars do not always follow thru.

Also the multiple bids placed by the winner at 6pm Saturday night and then 6AM Sunday morning did nothing but hurt them when the auction closed 12 hours later. They basically paid $2,000 more for the car because they gave the second bidder a chance to come back and raise their bid.

Steve

That is interesting. Also what is kind of strange is one guy was the high

bidder on 7 of the 8 auctions? Of course no reserve met.

Archived