TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend: Shelby GT beats Saleen & Roush

Staff

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not counting the big brakes and big wheels and tires, I'll take mine with the Shelby gauges and the $10,000+ less price!

No brainer. :superhero::headspin:

Hmmm...drilled discs, Hawk pads and ss hoses @ $1000, Paxton SC @ $6500 = @ $7500

Smoking all three..... Pricless!!! :dreamy:

That's a great write up. Just confirms what we already knew. I have always trusted Motor Trend's tests over any other magazine. Very smart of them to throw in the base GT as well. I just wished they would of not tested a SGT-C with all those upgrades. It would of been VERY CLEAR how superior a regular SGT would of been given the reduced $10K.

Dude was right on about the looks too. The SGT looks way better with that mean-street looking chrome grill and spoiler delete. The grill was the first thing I noticed about the car when I saw the ad. That's one thing that will never change on mine.

great article for Team Shelby and Carroll !!!!

Gotta love that grabber orange

Nice article! For once I made a good purchase on something! :happy feet:

I noticed that under the suspension front and rear side by side comparison fact sheet they forgot to add the "Tower strut brace" on the Shelby column. You can even see it in the pictures with the under the hood shots of all 3 cars. The Shelby is the only one with the TSB. :redcard:

Oh yeah I almost forgot... "The Carroll Burnout Show!" :banana piano:

The SGT would have done even better in the acceleration tests w/ out the 20" Razors, however then it would have done more poorly in the brake test. Whatever, its great to see the SGT win in this one!!!

Of course, like so many mags, MT had to get its zing in. On the first page they state "And if it were our money? We’d take the GT and pocket the change. Or we’d seriously consider the quicker Corvette or more refined 335i Coupe".

I guess if your in $48K territory, the Corvette or 335i would be considered. But to be fair, the SGT can be had at $38 or less (such as mine was), much much less $$ than a Corvette or 335i. And personally I much prefer a Shelby GT over the standard issue Mustang GT.

Great Article it's just that much better that there are 3 viable variations on the Mustang that they cared to write about. It's a great time in the car world. Motor Trend does a great job of being as fair as a mag can be. It's actually nice to see a mag say something nice about the SGT. They always love the GT500, rightfully so, but they tend to blast the SGT. It always blows me away that they moan about it having only 319 HP but they just rave about the 335i and the G37 having 300 plus HP. What gives. They just gotta bash the American cars. Now they deserved it for a long time and I was one who for a while bought foreign but tides always change and things are a changing back to this side of the pond.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I had a 2007 335i coupe before the SGT. Great car but not even near the personality. The G37, again nice car but it is dull as a Honda Accord. Yea it's refined but who cares it doesn't stand out at all. A Vette, yea that's one for thinking about. Gotta love a Vette. I had 3 people at 3 different occasions today stop and talk to me about my SGT. They just stand out in the crowd and everyone knows what Shelby means. It is so much fun to add on things to it and know that it just gains more and more personality. In my humble opinion that is. I really like the looks of those Razors. I'm leaning towards them or maybe the CS69s. Gotta love all the Shelby products especially when you throw in the people who own them. Sorry for the rambling but that's what forums are for.

I almost bought a Roush, but it would have been a Roush 427. In the end, I liked the look of the Shelby better. I do have to say that off road exhaust is Nasty on the 427 though.

I test drove a Roush 427 last month. Nice car with lots of power. No resale I found out.

CaptDave

My first purchase early last year was an 07 Mustang GT 5 speed in Grabber Orange.Nice car,Needed more power and Ford cried NO MORE WARRANTY AFTER MODS!Even though I was told that I could have them do the mods and stay in warranty before I bought it!Oh well.So the next purchase was a car that needed no mods to turn me on,07 Vette 6 speed.Too fast for me to stay alive,Top speed of 180+ and I was getting close to trying it out,Had to go!So i resumed my search for another mustang that was better than the stock GT and would not require many crazy suspension mods and engine mods to keep me happy!I test drove a 427R and was as underwhelmed as I could possibly be,Not to mention the ghetto bling that i didn't care for.So I took one look at the Shelby GT,Damn it looks the part perfectly,No complaint other than no blue stripes,The handling was spot on for me,And the retro Hurst shifter put it over the top.That was my choice!The roush did not stay in the running too long,Never drove a Steeda or Saleen so I can't really comment on those,But I will tell you that the Shelby GT has got to be the best balanced Mustang of the bunch that I have driven and all of you that have one should be damn proud of your choice!I would have bought an 08,But the Bullitt fit my budget better,And it does a pretty good job of providing an enjoyable experience,But it is not as fine as the Shelby GT!It may be a shade quicker in N/A form but after driving a Shelby GT,The suspension doesn't seem to compare.Oh well ,I like it well enough!

Never drove a Steeda or Saleen so I can't really comment on those,But I will tell you that the Shelby GT has got to be the best balanced Mustang of the bunch that I have driven and all of you that have one should be damn proud of your choice!

Ok I did drive a 2005 S281 Saleen and here is what I really thought. The main and MOST disappointing thing was no power and I mean really no power. Yes it did surprise me 100% that the car just wound up to 6K RPM's and then I shifted with no pick up in 2nd gear, I really mean it felt gutless. Now I have never driven a later model S281 i.e.: 2006, 2007 or 2008. But I knew right then and there that a S281 was not for me even @ a discounted price of approximately $35K at the time.

Then I took one look at the Roush and too much crap on those cars for me. I mean the screws on the rear window louvers were left open to the elements, I knew they would rust and I could only see where they did NOT take the car to the level i needed to spend that type of coin. So pass on the Roush.

When I drove the Shelby GT it was a totally different animal. The pull from first to second was incredible for 319 HP. The balance of the car was awesome. The appearance was striking compared to the cheap bling of the Roush (my opinion). I then added 20" Razors and a GT500 spoiler with SGtstripes and the car look incedible! The car just felt so much better than the S281 all around.

So I stepped to the plate got $500 below MSRP ( a deal at the time) and bought my baby. I really love the car. If I had one thing to change it would be a naturally aspirated engine @ 380 HP straight from Shelby. Thats it though!

I test drove a Roush 427 last month. Nice car with lots of power. No resale I found out.

CaptDave

I agree. I bet the Shelby GT will have a better resale than the 427 even though it costs a lot less.

What kept me away from the 427 the most was it had to much done to it.

I agree. I bet the Shelby GT will have a better resale than the 427 even though it costs a lot less.

What kept me away from the 427 the most was it had to much done to it.

I also heard from a dealer that the quality of the the Roush cars was way down. One car the entire front bumper fell off. They found out a local gas station was doing the final assembly, not the factory.

CaptDave

The Shelby GT .vs the Roush .vs the Saleen -- What is missing ?

STEEDA - Motor trend blew it. They had the perfect opportunity to also include a Steeda Q350 in the test, but for some strange reason they did not. What were they afraid of ? Was Shelby paid a favor ??

When I drove a Shelby GT, the suspension left quite a lot to be desired. Just lowering the car does not make it handle....it has to be part of a fully integrated system to be right. The Shelby GT has some Ford Racing parts onit, but if the truth were told, these parts are not the best in the business, they are not designed by Ford, rather they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts that they threw at the car.

As far as resale --- they have made so many of these cars, they never will be worth what you paid for them ----heck, you can buythem now at a discout on dealer lots. Think about it, a Shelby with a rebate !

For me, forget about the Shelby GT, Forget about the Roush, give me a Saleen or a Steeda !!!

STEEDA - Motor trend blew it. They had the perfect opportunity to also include a Steeda Q350 in the test, but for some strange reason they did not. What were they afraid of ? Was Shelby paid a favor ??

When I drove a Shelby GT, the suspension left quite a lot to be desired. Just lowering the car does not make it handle....it has to be part of a fully integrated system to be right. The Shelby GT has some Ford Racing parts onit, but if the truth were told, these parts are not the best in the business, they are not designed by Ford, rather they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts that they threw at the car.

As far as resale --- they have made so many of these cars, they never will be worth what you paid for them ----heck, you can buythem now at a discout on dealer lots. Think about it, a Shelby with a rebate !

For me, forget about the Shelby GT, Forget about the Roush, give me a Saleen or a Steeda !!!

The Q350 is a decent car, but the SGT still beats it.

#1 It's not a sweet-looking, black, limited edition Shelby :)

#2 it's $5000 more. For that price you can put on a /SC and dust the Q350.

:bowdown:

When I drove a Shelby GT, the suspension left quite a lot to be desired. (A.) Just lowering the car does not make it handle....it has to be part of a fully integrated system to be right. The Shelby GT has some Ford Racing parts onit, but if the truth were told, these parts are not the best in the business, (B.) they are not designed by Ford, rather they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts that they threw at the car.

As far as resale --- they have made so many of these cars, (C.) they never will be worth what you paid for them ----heck, you can buythem now at a discout on dealer lots. Think about it, a Shelby with a rebate !

A. It is the Ford Racing suspension which is on the Grand Am Cup cars...they seemed to do pretty well on the track this last year.

B. See above...designed and engineered by Ford Performance for the Mustang. Maybe off their parts shelf....

C. All cars drop initially in value and the Shelby GT is not well known as well. Only time will tell about the value of a car in the money sense. To me my car is the best value of any of the cars out there. That is...my opinion and you are entitled to yours like I am to mine.

I hope you get your Saleen or Steeda and get to enjoy it to the max like I am my car.

The Shelby GT rules over any of the fore mentioned cars.The suspension could be made in China by Kia for all I care,All i know is that it works VERY WELL.You need to wake up.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a Steeda in that mix too. It's good for competition as it improves the breed of every Mustang.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Shelby nut through and though, but Steeda has supported the Hi-Perf. Mustang community through the years and I think they deserved a spot in that review. One would have to ask M.T. why they left it out. though.

Would the Steeda have won? Who knows? Will the Steeda hold value over the Shelby over the long term? Who knows?

But whether you like Shelby, Roush, Steeda or Saleen - IT'S AN AWESOME TIME TO BE A MUSTANG NUT! Support your passion and love it. ;)

In a comparison test by Motor Trend (April 2008), the Shelby GT out-performed the Saleen and Roush Mustangs. Click here to download the article in Adobe PDF.

WHO CARES... They are all Mustangs so we all are winners!

Archived