TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Couple of questions from a new owner...

motorjock205

OK, second day of owning the car...

I recall the dealer telling me that oil change intervals are set at 7500 for the car...I almost dropped my teeth on the floor...IS THIS TRUE???

Next, my air filter looks really dry...I'm used to using K&N air filters and seeing the RED...Is there a BLUE filter oil that I can get and drop some on here before I take a road trip this weekend? PLUS, I live out here in the middle of a dusty desert in West Texas, so I don't want to take any chances...

Also, I noticed that inside the trunk by the Satellite Radio Antenna, there appears to be a few water spots...any leak issues here that I need to be aware of? Silicone Anyone???

Shelby decals under hood and on door sill...paper decals that are already lifting on corners and showing wear...should I put clear tape over them to protect them and keep them down? Anyone else done this?

Come on, inquiring minds want to know...

I know the dealers and the manual recommend more miles between oil changes but I hav always used 2,500 to 3,000 and will plan on sticking to it for this car as well.

You can purchase the blue spray oil from Steeda.

Not sure about the water leak, I have not noticed mine maybe I should double check.

I changed my oil at 2000 and 5000 so far. Went to Mobil 1 5/20 at the 5000.

Never heard of water leaking into the trunk.

and I am not sure what you mean by paper decals.

The sticker under the hood with the engine oil recommendations?

tell us what it says, they came with one from the factory, but I heard SAI put a different one over the factory one, maybe that is what is peeling?

I changed my oil at 2000 and 5000 so far. Went to Mobil 1 5/20 at the 5000.

Never heard of water leaking into the trunk.

and I am not sure what you mean by paper decals.

The sticker under the hood with the engine oil recommendations?

tell us what it says, they came with one from the factory, but I heard SAI put a different one over the factory one, maybe that is what is peeling?

Yeah, this one appears to have been placed over a factory sticker on the bottom of the hood on the driver side near the very front...also the sticker on the driver door sill stating that the vehicle was modified and complies with all regulations in place at the time of its conversion...

I changed my oil at 1500 and then again at 3000 for the break-in period of the engine (it may be over-kill, but I plan on having this car until my family has to pry the keys from my hand). Now I go every 3000 miles. One thing you'll want to make sure you talk to the service department about is the oil filter. The SGTs come with high performance oil filters (part of the Ford Racing performance upgrades), but a lot of dealers don't really know all that much about the cars and will most likely try to put a regular filter on. I don't know if there's really a difference between a regular oil filter and a high performance oil filter (at least when you're just doing regular driving), but I'm pretty sure that there is a difference if you plan on seeing what your car can do (does the West Texas Raceway still have open drag nights?). If you think it'll make a difference with the way you plan on driving (or just want to keep your car as "stock" as possible), be sure to tell the person at the service desk that you want a high performance filter. If you take your car to a dealership for service, their parts department should have one in stock.

Does anyone know if the decals motorjock is talking about are something new for the 2008? I don't remember ever seeing those on my '07, but I may have just over looked them.

You should change the oil at the recommend intervals published in your owners manual......or more frequently. Since my car is a weekender I am changing it at every 2500. Which is 500 miles less then the recommendation in my supercharger owners manual.

Does the S/C draw engine oil? How is the connection made? Is there a plumbing diagram anywhere? I'm going to get a Paxton and was wondering how it is connected.

I changed my oil at 1500 and then again at 3000 for the break-in period of the engine (it may be over-kill, but I plan on having this car until my family has to pry the keys from my hand). Now I go every 3000 miles. One thing you'll want to make sure you talk to the service department about is the oil filter. The SGTs come with high performance oil filters (part of the Ford Racing performance upgrades), but a lot of dealers don't really know all that much about the cars and will most likely try to put a regular filter on. I don't know if there's really a difference between a regular oil filter and a high performance oil filter (at least when you're just doing regular driving), but I'm pretty sure that there is a difference if you plan on seeing what your car can do (does the West Texas Raceway still have open drag nights?). If you think it'll make a difference with the way you plan on driving (or just want to keep your car as "stock" as possible), be sure to tell the person at the service desk that you want a high performance filter. If you take your car to a dealership for service, their parts department should have one in stock.

Does anyone know if the decals motorjock is talking about are something new for the 2008? I don't remember ever seeing those on my '07, but I may have just over looked them.

The sticker was added mid-production of the 07's according to what I have read on this site. I believe it recommended 5w30 instead of the factory 5w20. There has been some debate as to whyit there and only on some cars,....I believe Bud may have posted that the thought process was these cars would be driven harder than regular GT's, hence the different oil, but that duznt account for it only being on some cars!

Unless, it just fell off the others ALREADY! :hysterical2:

I know that duznt really answer the question, but I am doing the best I can over here.

The sticker was added mid-production of the 07's according to what I have read on this site. I believe it recommended 5w30 instead of the factory 5w20. There has been some debate as to whyit there and only on some cars,....I believe Bud may have posted that the thought process was these cars would be driven harder than regular GT's, hence the different oil, but that duznt account for it only being on some cars!

Unless, it just fell off the others ALREADY! :hysterical2:

I know that duznt really answer the question, but I am doing the best I can over here.

Thanks, at least now I don't feel as bad for having never seen them on mine. It's a bit disconcerting thinking that there's something I've never noticed on a car that I spend so much attention on.

Matt

...I noticed that inside the trunk by the Satellite Radio Antenna, there appears to be a few water spots...any leak issues here that I need to be aware of? Silicone Anyone???...

Mine leaked a bit at some point before I bought it...telltale spots inside. Took it loose, fixed with silicone!

Archived