TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RECALL

shelbygt350s

Welcome MCA Member!

MUSTANG RECALL

02-27-08: Ford Motor Co. says it is recalling 470,000 Ford Mustangs from the 2005-2008 model years to recalibrate how forcefully the air bag deploys on the front passenger side of the car.

Ford spokesman Wesley Sherwood says internal testing showed the air bag could injure a small, unbelted passenger. The recall was posted Wednesday on the website of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Sherwood says there were no reports of injuries or accidents tied to the recall.

The Dearborn automaker will notify customers by mail in early March. Owners can take their vehicle to a dealer to have the air bag re-calibrated to deploy at a lower force.

2005-2008 Mustang owners can go to the Ford Service Website and enter their VIN number to see if their car is affected by this recall.

Welcome MCA Member!

MUSTANG RECALL

02-27-08: Ford Motor Co. says it is recalling 470,000 Ford Mustangs from the 2005-2008 model years to recalibrate how forcefully the air bag deploys on the front passenger side of the car.

Ford spokesman Wesley Sherwood says internal testing showed the air bag could injure a small, unbelted passenger. The recall was posted Wednesday on the website of the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Sherwood says there were no reports of injuries or accidents tied to the recall.

The Dearborn automaker will notify customers by mail in early March. Owners can take their vehicle to a dealer to have the air bag re-calibrated to deploy at a lower force.

2005-2008 Mustang owners can go to the Ford Service Website and enter their VIN number to see if their car is affected by this recall.

Well, I was just about to pull my airbag for Mr. Shelby to sign. I wonder what is invovled with "recalibration". I wonder if it is just adjustments in the electronics?

I worked on GM vehicles for 10 years and im pretty sure that ford is probably the same, so they will probably just reprogram the air bag computer. But it could also mean they might have to replace the passenger airbag in the dash or they might have to replace the airbag computer...

I hope it is the 1st option.. (reprogram the computer)

I think they will have trouble. What's really amazing to me is, I think, in its first two years of production in 64 - 65 I think over a million Mustangs were sold?? Wow.

I worked on GM vehicles for 10 years and im pretty sure that ford is probably the same, so they will probably just reprogram the air bag computer. But it could also mean they might have to replace the passenger airbag in the dash or they might have to replace the airbag computer...

I hope it is the 1st option.. (reprogram the computer)

The one option could be problematic for those with Shelby's signature there.

It is a reprogram.....the Shelby GT I have ordered is sitting at the dealer and can't be delivered vecasue this change and the engine management change that SAI does are not compatible. Ford is trying to work it out so the dealer can deliver my car to me. Wayne

The one option could be problematic for those with Shelby's signature there.

Shouldnt be too problematic. If they have to replace the airbag they would be doing the same thing we have done, take it out and put one back in after putting the dash cover onthe new one. As long as they take their time and dont :censored: up the signature it should be fine.

Welcome MCA Member!

MUSTANG RECALL

I'll pass, I'm not planning on hauling any unbelted little people in the front of my SGT anyway..... :shift:

I think they will have trouble. What's really amazing to me is, I think, in its first two years of production in 64 - 65 I think over a million Mustangs were sold?? Wow.

A million sales wouldn't surprise me. The early 60's were the tail end of land-yacht era and the mustang appealed to a lot of people tired of driving massive cars.

I ran my vin and it has the TSB .... guys its no big deal .... all the tech will do is reprogram the module per the new specs. Very non-invasive .... they hook to your diagnostic port under the steering wheel that we use to attach the SCT Tuner .... re-do the programing for the air bag and your done

Michael A. Berardi Ford Motor Company

Director P. O. Box 1904

Service Engineering Operations Dearborn, Michigan 48121

Ford Customer Service Division

February 22, 2008

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD -Compliance Recall 08C02:

Certain 2005 -2008 Mustang Vehicles

Reprogram Restraint Control Module

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2005 through 2008 model year Mustang vehicles built at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant from

April 22, 2005 through January 31, 2008. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a

list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This

information will be available on February 22, 2008.

REASON FOR THIS COMPLIANCE RECALL

The affected vehicles do not comply with one of the neck injury requirements specified in Federal

th

Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208 -Occupant Crash Protection for an unbelted 5percentile female sitting in the passenger seat while it is in the full forward position.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to reprogram the Restraint Control Module using IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) that

is updated with release (R53.7) P16 or later. This service must be performed on affected vehicles at

no charge to the vehicle owner. Do not demonstrate or deliver affected vehicles that remain in your

new vehicle inventory until this compliance recall has been completed.

NOTE: Owners are encouraged to have this recall performed as soon as possible. Until this recall is

performed, the vehicle owner can eliminate any real world risk associated with this

noncompliance by making certain the front seat passenger wears the safety belt and positions

the seat rearward, away from the airbag.

PLEASE NOTE:

Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered

to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty

of up to $6,000 per vehicle. Correct all vehicles in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.

© Copyright 2008 Ford Motor Company

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information

Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information

Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) ……………………….……….………1-800-3XX-5XXX

Sincerely,

Michael A. Berardi

ATTACHMENT I

Page 1 of 1

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD -Compliance Recall 08C02

OASIS ACTIVATED?

Yes, OASIS will be activated by February 22, 2008.

FSA VIN LIST ACTIVATED?

Yes, FSA VIN list will be available through https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com by February

22, 2008. Owner names and addresses will be available by March 10, 2008.

NOTE: Your FSA VIN list may contain owner names and addresses obtained from motor vehicle

registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other

than in connection with this recall is a violation of law in several states, provinces, and

countries. Accordingly, you must limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to

complete this recall action.

STOCK VEHICLES

Correct all affected units in your new vehicle inventory before delivery.

SOLD VEHICLES

• Owners of affected vehicles will be directed to dealers for repairs.

• Immediately contact any of your affected owners whose vehicles are not on your VIN lists but

are identified in OASIS. Give the owner a copy of the Customer Notification Letter (when

available) and schedule a service date.

• Correct other affected vehicles identified in OASIS which are brought to your dealership.

TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES

Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this Field Service Action.

RELATED DAMAGE

Related damage claims are not approved for this program.

ADDITIONAL LABOR TIME

This repair will require no additional labor time to complete. Claims submitted with "MT" labor will not

be accepted for reimbursement.

OWNER REFUNDS

Refunds are not authorized for this program.

RENTAL VEHICLES

The use of rental vehicles is not authorized for this program.

CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION

• Enter claims using Direct Warranty Entry (DWE).

• Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.

ATTACHMENT II

Page 1 of 1

LABOR ALLOWANCES

Description Labor Operation Labor Time

Reprogram Restraint Control Module using IDS 08C02B 0.2 Hours

PARTS REQUIREMENTS / ORDERING INFORMATION

No parts or modification labels are required to complete this repair.

ATTACHMENT III

Page 1 of 1

TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONS

FOR REPROGRAMMING THE RESTRAINT CONTROL MODULE (RCM)

NOTES:

• The procedure below must be performed using IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System).

• The software developed for this recall will only allow reprogramming of the vehicles involved in

this recall.

• The presence of any RCM fault codes will prevent reprogramming of the RCM. Should the

vehicle have any faults that prevent reprogramming of the RCM, IDS screen notes will direct

the technician to repair the fault before proceeding.

• The diagnosis and repair of fault codes stored in the RCM are not covered by this recall.

RCM REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE:

1. Verify that IDS is updated to software version (R53.7) P16 or later.

2. Connect IDS to the Data Link Connector (DLC) and follow all screen prompts.

3. Select the toolbox icon.

4. Select "Module Programming".

5. Select "Module Reprogramming RCM" and follow all instructions.

6. When reprogramming is complete, IDS will provide a 12 digit serial number that serves as

verification that the latest calibration was properly transferred.

I ran my vin and it has the TSB .... guys its no big deal .... all the tech will do is reprogram the module per the new specs. Very non-invasive .... they hook to your diagnostic port under the steering wheel that we use to attach the SCT Tuner .... re-do the programing for the air bag and your done

Your right it's no big deal, just a 5 minute reprogram, does NOT affect PCM programming nor does it affect the air bag itself

Be Smart get it done!!

Leroy

Archived