TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I Add LeMans Stripes?

351PONY

Initially when I started this project I had intended to add the LeMans stripes, but then once I started seeing every car with the stripes I decided not to add them just so I'd be different. Hoever, now that the basic look of the car has been done for almost two years and I'm starting to think about adding the stripes again. So I thougth I'd ask for your feedback to see what your opinions are. The attached pictures are from a photo shoot in June 2006 and are prior to my adding the retro mirrors and suspension package.

Of course it should go without saying, please offer your feedback in a courteous manner and don't flame me for building what the factory won't (i.e. a GT-350). Thanks. :gang:

post-7115-1204144110_thumb.jpg

post-7115-1204144120_thumb.jpg

post-7115-1204144110_thumb.jpg

post-7115-1204144120_thumb.jpg

beautiful car.....I am torn, I would say skip the stripes, but the look from the front seems to be screaming for them.

I guess that didnt help much. :banghead:

Now you know how I feel.. :hysterical: Part of me want to add them because from certain angles they add the proper finishing touch but then I'm torn because I also want the car to stand out from the others. :shrug: Oh well, we'll wait to see what everyone else thinks.

I'm glad it's not my decision to make. It looks great now but would probably look great with the stripes also. And while I like the car as it is, I think it screams to be lowered. I guess the look of the SGT has grown on me so much that when I see a GT500 or regular GT they look like they should be all wheel drive :hysterical: Just a suggestion. Oh, and the all-wheel-drive thing, no disrespect intended. It really is a good looking ride.

Jim

I'm glad it's not my decision to make. It looks great now but would probably look great with the stripes also. And while I like the car as it is, I think it screams to be lowered. I guess the look of the SGT has grown on me so much that when I see a GT500 or regular GT they look like they should be all wheel drive :hysterical: Just a suggestion. Oh, and the all-wheel-drive thing, no disrespect intended. It really is a good looking ride.

Jim

Oh I couldn't agree with you more. I did in fact lower it about two months after these photos were taken. It amde all the difference in the world not only in looks but also handling. :headspin:

As a GT350 clone, I think you HAVE to add the stripes, whether it looks good or not!!!

I agree. If your goal is to build the GT-350 that factory has not, then you HAVE to add the stripes. I think your car looks great as is, but since you are going for the GT 350 look and have the side stripes and badging, the LeMans Stripes are mandatory.

I don't blame you for building your own. I really wanted a red GT-500 convertible or a red Shelby GT convertible. Unfortunately, the GT-500 is too expensive for me and the Shelby GT was never built in red. I ended up buying a red GT convertible and adding a lot of the Shelby GT upgrades.

:hysterical3: And the stripes make it go faster, everyone knows that.

CaptDave

Nah...that's only on those rice rockets.. :hysterical2::hysterical:

Well now it's getting interesting...we have a 50/50 split. Can someone photoshop a nice set of white stripes (the stripes would have to match the rocker panel stripes) onto the pics? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I think the stripes help make a Shelby A Shelby.

CaptDave

I agree 110%...More original Shelbys, both GT350's and GT500's, had LeMans stripes than those that did not. Dual White stripes from front to rear on a Vista Blue Stang is the consummate Shelby tribute.

Archived