TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 hood on SGT

So again why will the gt 500 hood not fit a sgt? And has anybody tried this? Does it look that bad with a non-GT500 front fascia? I was thinking GT500 hood, stripes, and then you could run a whipple and keep the strut brace? No scoop but a not flappy hood at speed? Am I dreaming or could it happen, seems too obvious....anybody?

So again why will the gt 500 hood not fit a sgt? And has anybody tried this? Does it look that bad with a non-GT500 front fascia? I was thinking GT500 hood, stripes, and then you could run a whipple and keep the strut brace? No scoop but a not flappy hood at speed? Am I dreaming or could it happen, seems too obvious....anybody?

The hood is shaped differently in the front and doesn't work on anything but a GT500. I can't tell you specifically why, maybe someone else can, but believe me I have followed this for two years and it will not work.

Sorry!

it will bolt up same width but its a longer hood and would look kooky. Floppy hood mine doesnt flop and I have had it on the high speed governor many times.

About the floppy hood, well I live in the great Pacific North West, and one time going over a very high bridge into a strong wind the hood was flappin, I swear it freaked me out. Another time after a high speed run (off hwy of course) the hood latch released the hood and it was on the pins. Thanks for the hood pins! Maybe I'm wrong but the hood sure looked like it was flappin the one time, thats why the extractor vents of the GT500 hood sounded like a cool idea to me. On the old site we also had a thread about making the SGT scoop fuctional, and someone had a convincing argument that at its location it may be detrimental at speed aerodynamically....anyway. Won't fit at all, no biggie.

About the floppy hood, well I live in the great Pacific North West, and one time going over a very high bridge into a strong wind the hood was flappin, I swear it freaked me out. Another time after a high speed run (off hwy of course) the hood latch released the hood and it was on the pins. Thanks for the hood pins! Maybe I'm wrong but the hood sure looked like it was flappin the one time, thats why the extractor vents of the GT500 hood sounded like a cool idea to me. On the old site we also had a thread about making the SGT scoop fuctional, and someone had a convincing argument that at its location it may be detrimental at speed aerodynamically....anyway. Won't fit at all, no biggie.

How about trying the Saleen Hood with the extractor vents????????????

You can install a GT500 hood onto a SGT, but you also have to install the entire front bumper cover and grille assembly off of a GT500 to make it fit.

About the flapping hood,These cars have a design flaw of sorts that traps an un beleiveable amount of pressure under the hood at HIGH speeds.I first saw it in My 07 Mustang GT,It scared the hell out of me!Back when I had my Shelby GT I also considered another hood with extractors to vent some pressure,There are a few out there that will bolt up without all the added extras that are needed with a GT500 hood,Grille ,Headlamps,Bumpercover etc.But if you have your heart set on it there is a place that sells everything you need to do it in a package less paint for about $3500,OUCH!I'm looking at a heat extractor type hood for my Bullitt that costs around $600 and is like the stock Mustang GT hood.You might want to see about something like that or just go ahead and spend the money on the package..................

Archived