TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare tire

The choices seem obvious. Carry around a big 20" tire / wheel in your trunk; or go with the spray foam unit (original equipt. in SGT and I assume the GT500 as well) and/or choose not to worry about it. I don't know what else you could do.

Some of us have put a spare tire in the trunk. If you keep to the original diameter of the stock tire when you go to 20" wheels, a 20" spare tire should still fit. The real trick is this: How do you jack up the car when it has a flat? The solution I used was to buy an air jack that is inflated by the exhaust of your car. It is no more than an inch tall when deflated and, if it can fit under a SGT, with its 1.5 inch lower ride height, it should fit under anything. I store the air jack in the area where the donut spare tire originally resided (where we now have the air compressor and tire goo package). There are a few threads on the Forum that speak to all this if you have the time to do a bit of searching. Good luck. Jim

Some of us have put a spare tire in the trunk. If you keep to the original diameter of the stock tire when you go to 20" wheels, a 20" spare tire should still fit. The real trick is this: How do you jack up the car when it has a flat? The solution I used was to buy an air jack that is inflated by the exhaust of your car. It is no more than an inch tall when deflated and, if it can fit under a SGT, with its 1.5 inch lower ride height, it should fit under anything. I store the air jack in the area where the donut spare tire originally resided (where we now have the air compressor and tire goo package). There are a few threads on the Forum that speak to all this if you have the time to do a bit of searching. Good luck. Jim

+1

i have the air jack too.

my wheels are the original 18" rims. as for my spare, its a matching 18" like the stock wheels.

aguy,

here's the link to the air jack:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...35091_200335091

one is a 3 ton model TJ3; then there's a 2 ton model TJ2

i have the 3 ton model but i believe either one is sufficient

A few years back, I bought one of these for road trips.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-Volt-Powe...c/dp/B000CO9YLA

I used it on my Marauders, a 4500 pound car, and it worked just fine. One of my Marauders was lowered, only 4.5" off the pavement at the A pillar, and it fit fine. Don't know the ground clearance for the SGT, but I don't think it's that low. I suppose getting around the ground effects trim to get to the jack points may be a problem, but it will be a few weeks until I can test it on my SGT.

Realizing that my goal was to get off a dark highway ASAP, I also bought one of these.

http://www.baproducts.com/rp-03048.htm

Happy Motoring, gents.

With 20" razor wheels, what is the best solution for a spare tire that will accommodate big brakes? What does one do in case of a flat tire? Thanks for any suggestions.

For the spare you'll need another of your 20" wheel/tire combo but it won't fit in the wheel well. You'll just have to carry it in the trunk. I have the original wheels so I bought a standard mustang temporary wheel and tire to fit in the wheel well in the trunk. To jack it up I bought a standard mustang scissors jack ($35) which has a pretty low profile when collapsed. But to get the jack under the car I bought one of these to drive the falt tire up on to raise the car enough to fit the jack under it:

http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=67

I carry the ramp in the trunk. It's very light (<4lbs) and the jack is probably one of the lightest and most compact you can buy at such a reasonable price.

I called Race Ramps and asked if they would sell me only one instead of the pair they show on the web site and they did. I also own a pair of their race ramps for changing oil, etc. They are great! Light, easy to store. good buy IMO.

If it is the rear seat delete that has the opening to the trunk, it might be dangerous unless you have a really good anchor for a 55-60 lb spare tire sitting back there.

Yeah! Yikes....I can see that going right out the front window hopefully not taking your head with it. You would really need to rig up a good hold down system for it and make sure an impact someplace didn't defeat it, weld joints give way etc., and the thing is a missile coming at you from behind.

Scary.

Archived