TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Theft Protection

Superchief

Hello:

Is anyone using a GPS Tracker to locate their car or notify you if your car is moved ...x feet or miles from a location?? With a valuable asset maybe it makes sense. My brother has a 1970 Mustang vert and he tricked it out with lots of expense mods and put a secret start switch in his ignition. Any thoughts? What about an alarm system that pages if it is triggered.

Superchief

Hello:

Is anyone using a GPS Tracker to locate their car or notify you if your car is moved ...x feet or miles from a location?? With a valuable asset maybe it makes sense. My brother has a 1970 Mustang vert and he tricked it out with lots of expense mods and put a secret start switch in his ignition. Any thoughts? What about an alarm system that pages if it is triggered.

Superchief

I have the new Lojak.

If anyone tries to move, jack-up, or start my Shelby with out the key fab that is on my key ring.

A list of 5 person of my choice or email or both are contacted.

If any of the 5 person including myself does not have the answer why my Shelby is being moved the police will be called, and my Shelby location would be available to the Police through GPS.

The price was at the time I had this installed in Nov. 2007 was about $1,100.00

Todd

LoJack only works and is available in certain states.

Here is another option from Horizon Technologies:

Millennium Plus MLU: Designed to be covertly installed in a vehicle or other asset, the Millennium Plus MLU offers the scalability and flexibility required by large dynamic fleets. Reporting and alert functions are accessible 24/7 over the web, by e-mail, by voice (phone), or pager.

Link -> http://horizontechllc.com/

I have the new Lojak.

If anyone tries to move, jack-up, or start my Shelby with out the key fab that is on my key ring.

If any of the 5 person including myself does not have the answer why my Shelby is being moved the police will be called, and my Shelby location would be available to the Police through GPS.

Todd

I bought and have that system, decided to test the early warning system and it didn't work. Lojak spent all day at my house and ended replacing everything. Turns out even with it working correctly, it doesn't work as advertised, meaning that simply moving the car without the key fab does not activate the early warning. You have to drive the car or move the car several miles in a straight line before it's activated, and in many areas of the country it won't work at all. I would not have bought the early warning system had I known what I know now. Test it for yourself. Better that you know what you have than think your going to get a call when someone loads your Shelby on a truck. I like Lojack allot but the "Early Warning" is lacking IMO. I think having a good guard dog, The Club, and factory alarm are helpful. I informed the dealership where I bought the car and had it installed, so they can give customers the straight scoop.

LoJack information is here.

Todd is talking about the optional "Early Warning Recovery System". With this option, which is not that expensive, the moment your car is moved more than about a driveway distance, an alert will be triggered to the recipient(s) of your choice. Usually you would set this up for your own celphone, so that if Nicholas Cage is trying to boost your GT500 while you're having dinner, you'll get a phone call and can go to the scene, call the police, etc.

Note that LoJack installers usually come to you and do the car where it is; you don't have to go to their facility. Takes about 1/2 hour.

With a car like this, :poke:do it!

Then call your insurance company and ask for a LoJack discount. :)

Michael

LoJack information is here.

Todd is talking about the optional "Early Warning Recovery System". With this option, which is not that expensive, the moment your car is moved more than about a driveway distance, an alert will be triggered to the recipient(s) of your choice. Usually you would set this up for your own celphone, so that if Nicholas Cage is trying to boost your GT500 while you're having dinner, you'll get a phone call and can go to the scene, call the police, etc.

Note that LoJack installers usually come to you and do the car where it is; you don't have to go to their facilty. Takes about 1/2 hour.

With a car like this, :poke:do it!

Then call your insurance company and ask for a LoJack discount. :)

Michael

I own this exact system and know exactly how it operates. Just trying to give the straight truth about how it really works post-5223-1203908693_thumb.jpg Mine was installed at the Ford dealership when I bought the car

post-5223-1203908693_thumb.jpg

If it uses gps, shouldnt it work anywhere in the US?

Yes, you would think so, but no!

LoJack service is not offered in Oklahoma. :(

I'm not sure why, but when I tried to buy the service here in Tulsa I was told Oklahoma was not covered in their program.

The problem is the service not the GPS.

Superchief:

There is no visible antenna outside the car!

The transmitter is hidden somewhere inside the car and only you and the manufacture know where it was placed.

I might add...where do you mount the antenna?? Is it visable??

I don't believe Lojack uses GPS.

I have the Lojack system with early warning and have not encountered any issues with the early warning system. I have tested it several times and it always worked for me. However, I have waited up to 20 minutes before I received any notification that my car was moved without the transponder present in the car. It will notify you via phone, or email. The antenna is hidden as is the unit.

Here is a photo of the transponder (on the right).

post-9625-1203913806_thumb.jpg

post-9625-1203913806_thumb.jpg

3 years ago I had a lojack installed on another mustang I own. They don't let you watch the installation so you dont know where the device is located. Well, I peeked out the window and saw thay had removed the rear seat and set it on top of the car along with their tools. They put several large scratches on top of the car along with tearing the bottom seat cushion when they yanked it out.

They will never touch another car that I own. Also, the lojack did not qualify me for any additonal insurance discounts (State Farm).

I do realize that this could have been an isolated incident.

I don't believe Lojack uses GPS.

I have the Lojack system with early warning and have not encountered any issues with the early warning system. I have tested it several times and it always worked for me. However, I have waited up to 20 minutes before I received any notification that my car was moved without the transponder present in the car. It will notify you via phone, or email. The antenna is hidden as is the unit.

Here is a photo of the transponder (on the right).

LJ told me you could basically drive the car around and never have LJ contact you because EW usually required the car be driven several miles in a straight line. Are you saying you can move your car out of the garage without the key fob and be contacted in 20 min? Mine will not do that and is working correctly according to LJ.

p.4 "Early Warning notification will only occur if the vehicle is moved or driven some distance without the keypass." Where I live now, it's useless. When I lived in NJ I drove around for an hour and called LJ to ask them why I hadn't been contacted after they installed the second system at my home, basically my car could have been on a ship to Russia or who knows where before ever being contacted, to late by that time.

My point is that it costs several hundred dollars more than regular LJ and some car dealerships are misinformed about how the system really works.

LJ told me you could basically drive the car around and never have LJ contact you because EW usually required the car be driven several miles in a straight line. Are you saying you can move your car out of the garage without the key fob and be contacted in 20 min? Mine will not do that and is working correctly according to LJ.

p.4 "Early Warning notification will only occur if the vehicle is moved or driven some distance without the keypass." Where I live now, it's useless. When I lived in NJ I drove around for an hour and called LJ to ask them why I hadn't been contacted after they installed the second system at my home, basically my car could have been on a ship to Russia or who knows where before ever being contacted, to late by that time.

My point is that it costs several hundred dollars more than regular LJ and some car dealerships are misinformed about how the system really works.

When I had mine installed the tech. told me he could adjust the sensitivity for activation.

Which he did and tested before he was finished.

Todd

The old Lojack (before there was GPS, and still being sold today I think) was not activated until they sent out a signal to activate it, when you reported the car stole, but on top of that a police vehicle had to have their lojack antennas on to pick it up, and I'm told by one local police dept that they only do this when a vehicle is reported stolen in the area.

You are just relying on the chance that someone will pick it up.

No, I have never tested it by just moving my car a short distance. My tests were always done by driving around town or by letting the dealer test drive it while in the process of doing warranty work. I have always been notified by phone with a Lojack EW recording and by an email message.

The EW system is always enabled as long as you are in an area with the LJ infrastructure. The police are not involved with the EW system. It is simply a notification to you that your car has been moved without the EW transponder nearby. It is up to you to determine if your car has been stolen and contact the police and LJ to activate the part of the system that tries to locate your vehicle.

Ok this is most likely the system that you folks are looking for, cellar GPS it has many features, you can do thing with the PC or internet connection, open doors. cut ignition off only on restart. If car is moved (invisable fence) about a mile from set location, you get a call, you can also view the cars location and see a satlite photo of it location, also you can track its speed. about the size of a box of cigretts and cost around $800.00 installed. Check out the web site.

http://www.guidepointsystems.com/index.shtml

I had LoJack installed by my delivering dealer and got the Early Warning System. I had trouble with the first couple of times I tested it - I didn't get a message after deliberately driving without the keyfob. Troubleshot it over the phone and got it working. As far as getting it activated, I had an experience while at the CS 85th Birthday Bash. I let my guest drive my car on the road course but forgot to give him the keyfob. The course is 1.1 miles in length but it had 9 turns and the furthest point was no more than a quarter mile (probably less) from the start/finish line which is about where I was standing. After my guest drove a couple of laps without my keyfob, I got a text message on my cell phone about the unauthorized movement. So, has to be in a straight line? Not.

I had LoJack installed by my delivering dealer and got the Early Warning System. I had trouble with the first couple of times I tested it - I didn't get a message after deliberately driving without the keyfob. Troubleshot it over the phone and got it working. As far as getting it activated, I had an experience while at the CS 85th Birthday Bash. I let my guest drive my car on the road course but forgot to give him the keyfob. The course is 1.1 miles in length but it had 9 turns and the furthest point was no more than a quarter mile (probably less) from the start/finish line which is about where I was standing. After my guest drove a couple of laps without my keyfob, I got a text message on my cell phone about the unauthorized movement. So, has to be in a straight line? Not.
Just repeating what LJ told me. Funny how we have different info, guess it depends (as usual) who is helping you resolve the problem. When mine wouldn't work, there were no adjustments or troubleshooting over the phone, they came to my house and worked on it for several hours, ended up changing everything according to my receipt and the tech. Even after it was fixed, I could drive about 30 miles before being contacted. I would imagine the area your in when your car is moved without the keyfob makes a difference too. NJ has a pretty hilly landscape, probably why they told me to drive the car in as straight a line as possible when testing the system? Wish they would expand coverage to where I live now.

Here is a thought: I have a plan with sprint wireless and if I get a extra phone and wire it to 12V somewhere hidden on the car, I should be able to track where my car is within 50' with the GPS locater feature I can have turned on. It is usually for locating your kids but...

What do you think? The service is like 10 bucks a month for the extra phone...

I would like to be able to turn the vehicle off from my home phone and skip the cops cause they are generally pretty lame here.

Would work for me. Any thoughts?

Here is a thought: I have a plan with sprint wireless and if I get a extra phone and wire it to 12V somewhere hidden on the car, I should be able to track where my car is within 50' with the GPS locater feature I can have turned on. It is usually for locating your kids but...

What do you think? The service is like 10 bucks a month for the extra phone...

I would like to be able to turn the vehicle off from my home phone and skip the cops cause they are generally pretty lame here.

Would work for me. Any thoughts?

Check out this company http://www.guidepointsystems.com/index.shtml

Ok this is most likely the system that you folks are looking for, cellar GPS it has many features, you can do thing with the PC or internet connection, open doors. cut ignition off only on restart. If car is moved (invisable fence) about a mile from set location, you get a call, you can also view the cars location and see a satlite photo of it location, also you can track its speed. about the size of a box of cigretts and cost around $800.00 installed. Check out the web site.

I think this is the same system as Jaguar's proprietary Jaguar Watch, which in my experience has its own shortcomings: It doesn't reliably show everywhere the car's been, and sometimes does not accurately show the car's current/last parking position. I have had mine be as much as a dozen blocks off.

Michael

I think this is the same system as Jaguar's proprietary Jaguar Watch, which in my experience has its own shortcomings: It doesn't reliably show everywhere the car's been, and sometimes does not accurately show the car's current/last parking position. I have had mine be as much as a dozen blocks off.

Michael

I'm not sure about those problems, because it is me that drives the car and I can't do a location search when I am driving, only when it is parked some ware else.

Through the dealer I bought a system that is used by alot of commericial vehicles and seems to work real well. It is a GPS unit and works both via a cell phone for position ( when your car is in a enclosed truck being stolen so a signal can still be sent out) and the traditional antenna that is basically what a xm antenna is for a Sat. radio.

I can locate my car within a few feet by using various location methods. Only problem is I didnt pay for it .... long story short is the rep who put this in for me ... they were missing a part to activate the auto shut down that i could send to the reciever in the car ... and he had his tech leave .... than we lost our accesory guy and he never came back to finish the job ... So yes i can track the car but i cant shut the motor off ... and that option is available.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the new Lojak.

Todd

I just had LoJack lifetime subscription with the early warning system installed by the Ford dealer on 5 Mar 08 for less than $950. I want to say it was closer to $925.

St. Louis does not have LoJack. It looks like an interesting system. Check out this GPS system for heavy equipment.... http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_det...productID=10784

Superchief

I use the Dewalt on my car, Simple and affordable. I also use it on my trailer when towing the car around the country. I mount it to the side door since it also works as an intrusion alarm as well as a GPS locater. I am a dealer for this product and sell it mainly to contractors, but it works on GT500's as well!

St. Louis does not have LoJack. It looks like an interesting system. Check out this GPS system for heavy equipment.... http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_det...productID=10784

Superchief

I use the Dewalt on my car, Simple and affordable. I also use it on my trailer when towing the car around the country. I mount it to the side door since it also works as an intrusion alarm as well as a GPS locater. I am a dealer for this product and sell it mainly to contractors, but it works on GT500's as well!

I have the Boomerang2, which I believe is based in Quebec. Don't know about US sales, but they claim North American coverage for stolen vehicles. Another claim is that it works from inside shipping containers.

http://www.boomerangtracking.com

When I had a flat, I called roadside assistance for a tow. I received a call from the company while I was getting a lift in the tow truck, because I had the key fob in my pocket, and not in the car. Probably 5 minutes after we started moving. Their goal is to get the car back within the first hour.

Archived