TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum Oxidation

sharabi

I was under the impression that the rust converters/quenchers literally stop the rust, changing it to a new compound (even tho it still looks like dark rust). I had a seriously rusting roof on an old Ford van ('78) and used a rust quencher and then painted over it according to instructions. It literally stopped it dead for many years (I sold it in 2002) ...and the products today are likely more advanced then back then. ...just another perspective.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ACF-50 was excellent on the engine and aluminum. The oxidization literally vanished.

I tried the ACF-50 on the axle, and it "wet" the rust, but it stayed brown. I'm sure that the oxidization is stopped, and I'm confident that if you put the ACF-50 on a clean axle, it will stay clean.

POR-15 also has a chemical reaction with rust and penetrates to the metal. It literally turns the iron oxide into something else and provides a very hard shell against further oxidization. It is a paint, however, unlike the ACF-50. In an axle environment, I suspect the ACF-50 will wear off quickly and need reapplication. The POR-15 will stay put - in fact, the converted rust is actually more durable than paint.

For me it's both products, no doubt about it.

See this link to a bunch of TSB's:

It seems as if this might be possibly related.

Also, the list of TSB's on this sight is huge. I've found some common issues discussed in this forem here (fuel tank issues etc).

Link to specific Aluminum pitting TSB:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/atta...06-25-15-1-.gif

Link to ALL TSBs:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005...g-tsb-list.html

Event though the topic says S197 TSBS, many of the TSB's apply to more than just the Mustangs (all models affected) and some are posted to include as recent as 07 models. No time to review all but am scanning out of curiosity....

Happy or Unhappy reading... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Archived