TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oh boy! Another oil thread. I love it.

Sorry folks, I'm not into additives despite what they promise, proven or not.

The only luxury I allow in my engines, is two pint cans of SeaFoam, one in the crank case and one in the fuel tank (at fill) and only for the last 500 miles before an oil change. It does make a difference in cleaning out any waste deposits in the fuel system and combustion chamber.

Besides...ZMax wasn't doing so well a few years back, and the FTC got involved. No matter how it was resolved, this has never happened to STP, Penzoil, or, Lucas Petro.

http://www.zmax.com/ftc.html

Sorry folks, I'm not into additives despite what they promise, proven or not.

The only luxury I allow in my engines, is two pint cans of SeaFoam, one in the crank case and one in the fuel tank (at fill) and only for the last 500 miles before an oil change. It does make a difference in cleaning out any waste deposits in the fuel system and combustion chamber.

http://www.zmax.com/ftc.html

This is an oxmoron statement :hysterical2:

ZMax Micro lubricate is a good thing despite what you say or think. If its safe & approved for Airplane motors that says alot

ZMax Micro lubricate is a good thing despite what you say or think. If its safe & approved for Airplane motors that says alot

Well, if you're going to take a poke at me, at least spell it correctly, and know what it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

SeaFoam is not an additive you drive on on a regular basis. It's a fuel system/combuston chamber cleaner used on a limited basis for maintenence, and it works.

Thus, my two statements are not an oxymoron; not conflicting or contradicting. I do not use additives or enhancements to engine oil, regardless of a manfacturer's promise or claim, lab tested and proven, or, not.

You are free to use what you want without my critique. It's your money and your car.

I'm not looking to fight. I thought your statement was funny.

IMHO If it is purchased separately & dumped into your fuel tank, it’s an additive.

If it's not motor oil & you dump it into your engine before/after an oil change, it’s an additive.

Anything you add to your gas, oil or cooling system for cleaning, preventing or for added performance is known as an additive.

& yes you are correct, I spelled oxymoron wrong, but I blame that on the flu I have. Again I just thought it was funny how you wrote that statement up & then put I only use this because.... & that's suppose to be better then lab testing results. As for ZMaxs legal issue, I read it & from what I read it's because they didn't have the lab reports published prior to a certain date to back up their claims for folks who claimed otherwise. Once the lab reports were proven to true & published, no claims could be filed after that date & that's why it was settled/dropped.

So it can be said ZMax does work as a micro lubricant & I have seen it work. Just heat up any metal you want & add a drop of any oil & then add a drop of ZMax & you'll see it soak into the metal (not evaporate) & then have better/lower friction during a sliding action.

Peace

lab result notes - http://www.zmax.com/why_zmax/testing_summary.pdf

zMAX soaks into metal.

zMAX reduces friction.

zMAX increases horsepower.

zMAX dissipates engine heat.

zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kargen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and BJ's Wholesale nationwide.

Good link there with some good info. They seem to be pretty anal about it not being an additive.

The thing that sticks out to me is that every piece of data is positive numbers across many different types of tests done by different, respected companies...they provided proof of a 7-8% average increase in horsepower which is 25 more horses for the SGT. HMMM might come in handy at least at the track.

Doesn't really give an indication of how long one treatment is supposed to last though...just trying to be objective.

I know they say it's "approved by the FAA" but a visit to the FAA web site and a search for "AVBLEND" yields NOTHING. If you go into the aircraft area and look at the section where they "approve" parts etc., again nothing. I got a copy off the FAA "approval letter" and it's from the Chicago Region office not the central FAA office in DC. I also found that the tests used where a few observations by a representative of the local FAA office of a news copter's engine broken down after use on two occasions. Hardly a scientific or government controlled test as you might think.

Obviously the people that are looking to use it in their car's motor.

Well, if you mean on the SGT 4.6L-3V engine, I don't believe you will see the results portrayed on the ZMAX website.

Modular engines have cast aluminum alloy pistons, called hyperteutetic pistons. Hyperteutetic means an 18 percent silicone content over the standard 11-12 percent. Plus, they are Teflon coated, and the chances of any additive penetrating the Teflon and soaking into the silicone is low.

Really...You don't want to penetrate the Teflon. Once you lose the Teflon coating (often burned off in repeated detonation) the silicone is at risk from the fuel mixture acting as a solvent against that. Once the Teflon burns up, the piston will follow in a short while, beginning with the piston top chunking out and exposing the second ring land. If this gets out of hand, it won't be pretty.

Well, if you mean on the SGT 4.6L-3V engine, I don't believe you will see the results portrayed on the ZMAX website.

Modular engines have cast aluminum alloy pistons, called hyperteutetic pistons. Hyperteutetic means an 18 percent silicone content over the standard 11-12 percent. Plus, they are Teflon coated, and the chances of any additive penetrating the Teflon and soaking into the silicone is low.

Really...You don't want to penetrate the Teflon. Once you lose the Teflon coating (often burned off in repeated detonation) the silicone is at risk from the fuel mixture acting as a solvent against that. Once the Teflon burns up, the piston will follow in a short while, beginning with the piston top chunking out and exposing the second ring land. If this gets out of hand, it won't be pretty.

Yeah! What he said! :dreamy:

Yeah! What he said! :dreamy:

the problem with this statement is the zmax would soak into the sleeve not the piston and the sleeve and rings are the wear items in a motors top end also it will help the bearings and cams. that is if it works like they say it should.

Archived