TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what I would do if I was unable to read one more hood scoop post each day....

personally, I will be glad to finally look through the windshield and not see the warped scoop, warped a month or so after i got it last april. pretty disappointing

I can say, this defect holds the record for an unresolved issue on any new car I have purchased, not an enviable record

personally, I will be glad to finally look through the windshield and not see the warped scoop, warped a month or so after i got it last april. pretty disappointing

I can say, this defect holds the record for an unresolved issue on any new car I have purchased, not an enviable record

While the "record" may be true for you, and I don't doubt it one bit, one does need to bear in mind that these cars are unlike most in that they are, to a certain extent, custom and hand-built, by a relatively small group of people. I think because of this things are naturally not going to happen as quickly as it might on a regular production car massed produced by, say, Ford or GM. Yes, I know this is a Ford Mustang, but the SAI pieces and installed parts are not regular production Mustang obviously.

That doesn't mean, however, that these scoops should not have been much better designed and tested, under all possible conditions, than they were. I hope SAI is doing it right the second time.

Is there anyone else seeing this?

I have NEVER seen this topic off the first page.

ANYONE?

BTW: It occurred to me are you SURE you are starting off in the right forum area? The "Shelby GT Mods, Shelby GT Tech. Forum and not the "Shelby GT Discussion Forum"?

If you were in the Discussion forum you of course wouldn't see it, when you went to your past postings and linked that way, you are not only moved to the specific thread but also to the correct forum area. So it will appear as if the thread "magically" appeared.

BELIEVE ME, there is NOTHING nefarious going on and Amy is BIG on no censorship as long as things are civil.

maybe his viewing is set to new posts and there was alot of activity that day?

This smiley says it all :banghead:

My new hood scoop install was a failure and I'm still waiting on Ford/Shelby to resolve the issues. In no particular order:

1. Install caused hood warping on driver's side. They think the rivet caught a hood support rib or cross member.

2. Paint around some rivets is cracked or pulled. 9 total rivets have this problem. An install problem most likely.

3. Hood stripe is being ruined by the scoop. The stripes are bunching up in places around the scoop edge. I guess this is due to vibration.

I couldn't get a decent picture of the hood warp but it's there. May try different lighting conditions.

It's clear that either my dealer really screwed up or the new scoop is still engineered poorly. My install was in January so I assume it's the two piece scoop (although I did not see it come out of the box). Anyway, I'm the squeaky wheel at my dealer and remain cautiously optimistic that this will eventually be fixed to my satisfaction. That said, I'm pretty certain that all of us will have long-term problems with these new scoops. Temperature changes, vibration, etc. will take it's toll. In 5 years they will all look like crap.

No word yet on what Ford/Shelby intend to do. I'll keep you updated.

WOW, You guys are scaring the hell outta me! I just picked up my 08 SGT on the 26th of February...I'm not yet seeing anything like this, but I do live in the West Texas Desert where it does hit 100+ during the summer...I sure hope there is some kind of resolution soon that is a very good fix. Otherwise, Class Action would seem to be the only way to get everyone's issues solved. I hate something like that, but SAI should not have put something out like this...even though this scoop is "reminescent of the Original Shelby Scoop", it's a piece of junk that doesn't do anything! I'd much rather have the GT-H hood or even a SHAKER!

WOW, You guys are scaring the hell outta me! I just picked up my 08 SGT on the 26th of February...I'm not yet seeing anything like this, but I do live in the West Texas Desert where it does hit 100+ during the summer...I sure hope there is some kind of resolution soon that is a very good fix. Otherwise, Class Action would seem to be the only way to get everyone's issues solved. I hate something like that, but SAI should not have put something out like this...even though this scoop is "reminescent of the Original Shelby Scoop", it's a piece of junk that doesn't do anything! I'd much rather have the GT-H hood or even a SHAKER!

Actually I love the way this scoop looks. It just needs to be fixed. All I have is the dip, but the rivets and install are perfect. However, the dealer was very careful and it does require skill.

I still wonder if the old scoop design with the internal bolts, stripes cut away under the scoop AND 3M tape would have worked? I'm sure they must have tried it???? :huh:

I still wonder if the old scoop design with the internal bolts, stripes cut away under the scoop AND 3M tape would have worked? I'm sure they must have tried it???? :huh:

I doubt it; I think that the contraction and uplifting of the plastic would have pulled the tape away, if not right away after some time.

I doubt it; I think that the contraction and uplifting of the plastic would have pulled the tape away, if not right away after some time.

One member has used crazy glue to hold the scoop down (on top of the stripes) and he hasn't had any problems. The 3M adhesive tape, if done right, can hold very well. Our side scoops are held on by it!

Mine is original, as far as I know, #2045. At about -20 Celsius, the passenger side rear corner of the scoop lifts to about 3/8" off the hood, as soon as the temp gets back up closer to 0, you can hardly see a gap in it. Should be interesting to see how it looks in the summer when it gets up to +35 C or so.

Mind you it will be garaged for most of that, coming out only to drive. Hopefully that will minimize warpage.

One member has used crazy glue to hold the scoop down (on top of the stripes) and he hasn't had any problems. The 3M adhesive tape, if done right, can hold very well. Our side scoops are held on by it!

No problems...so far...and the side scoops aren't trying to move in all directions either...

amy said yesterday that they have found the issue with the hood scoop and we need to take our cars to the dealer for replacement.here we go again.ya'll have a good trip.i think i'll wait awhile.been there -done that and i guess i'll do it again.

amy said yesterday that they have found the issue with the hood scoop and we need to take our cars to the dealer for replacement.here we go again.ya'll have a good trip.i think i'll wait awhile.been there -done that and i guess i'll do it again.

What does that mean exactly...."found the issue"? We know what the issue is!!!! :hysterical:

Where did you see or hear this?

I Wish official mailing memo would go out to all owners that there is an issue with the scoop and visit local dealer for evaluation. obviously not all owners are on this forum

I agree with this. I've had my '08 since December 19 and the dip didn't show then. It's more pronounced now including the paint starting to peel around the rivets and I've kept her in the garage all this time (other than the joy drives). It looks just like all the pics that have been posted so far but it seems to slowly deteriorate.

I agree with this. I've had my '08 since December 19 and the dip didn't show then. It's more pronounced now including the paint starting to peel around the rivets and I've kept her in the garage all this time (other than the joy drives). It looks just like all the pics that have been posted so far but it seems to slowly deteriorate.

moderator question, im in Shelby GT Discussion Forum, when i post reply to this topic, i see it goes to last subject, however if i check out another subject this subject disappears i find it on page 4 and on the right it says last action entry 23rd February 2008 - 07:29 AM Last post by: JeffIsHereTooj, which explains why its disappears, my setting are all set for

order last post

z-a

show all

topics all

can you help me get this correct, i assume i must have some setting somewhere incorrect

moderator question, im in Shelby GT Discussion Forum, when i post reply to this topic, i see it goes to last subject, however if i check out another subject this subject disappears i find it on page 4 and on the right it says last action entry 23rd February 2008 - 07:29 AM Last post by: JeffIsHereTooj, which explains why its disappears, my setting are all set for

order last post

z-a

show all

topics all

can you help me get this correct, i assume i must have some setting somewhere incorrect

Ok...first this topic is not in the Shelby GT Discussion Forum. What you're using, and I suspect others have as well, is a reference link created back when the topic was moved over to here in Feb. That link is locked in time over there. It will never move, except down.

This topic is in the Shelby GT Mods, ShelbyGT Tech. Forum and here it will stay on page #1 as long as people post. Now I see where the confusion is! When a topic is moved it's essentially dead in the other forum.

To see this move and see the latest posts you need to be in the right forum which is Shelby GT Mods, ShelbyGT Tech.

Question for Shelby Automobiles ref sccop the fix is for the dip what about our 07s with the lifting problem I am on second scoop installed one year ago glad I did not do rivet repair as Shelby told me too what is final fix, I feel Shelby should contact all by mail and not by computer we have to look everyday I do not have time to look for comments on scoop I feel when fix is done Shelby should do recall after they test repair. Plese advise

Question for Shelby Automobiles ref sccop the fix is for the dip what about our 07s with the lifting problem I am on second scoop installed one year ago glad I did not do rivet repair as Shelby told me too what is final fix, I feel Shelby should contact all by mail and not by computer we have to look everyday I do not have time to look for comments on scoop I feel when fix is done Shelby should do recall after they test repair. Plese advise

that is what i posted a while back in one of the other numerous hood scoop forums, Shelby needs to hire a PR person that will get the VINs, dealer codes, etc. , to set up the repairs when this scoop is fixed. not use an internet forum. i am sure that shelby management has seen these forums go on for months, so most likely this is not going to happen. I mean, really....all we are buying here is the shelby name and reputation, the body parts can be purchased anywhere for mustangs. my $.02

It surely must be a fix for the problem with all SGT scoops...UNACCEPTABLE POOR QUALITY SCOOPS AND INSTALLATION OF SCOOPS.

the material we got looks like the material we are going to keep.the last scoop i have took care of the lifting with all these rivets.now the dip is suppose to be taken care of.i wonder how many people kept there cars parked because of the embarssment of these scoops.also i agree that all owners of the shelby gt's should get a letter telling them there is a recall on these scoops on account i'm sure that club members and guest are a large minority of the car owners.i'm going to wait awhile on the next scoop.my last install was very good and i hope the next one is too.shelby should be covering the warranty on these stripes that people are having problems with on scoop installation.a gift certificate from shelby performance would'nt hurt for all the aggravation time and money spent dealing with these scoops.

I have the replacement scoop on my 07' and the only issue is the dip in the front. It looks really good and no issues with my stripes around the rivets makes me mad I have to drill it out now since it looks so good but if this eliminates the dip and it comes out as nice as mine is now I'll be happy!

+1

I would like to know what, "exactly", is the improvement in the mold that will eliminate the dip. Right now my scoop looks great except for the dip and I would be very unhappy if the hood and/or stripes get screwed-up when drilling out and replacing the rivets for a new scoop. IMO, that would be worse than the dip. So I want a little confdence that the improvement is worth the risk.

+1

I would like to know what, "exactly", is the improvement in the mold that will eliminate the dip. Right now my scoop looks great except for the dip and I would be very unhappy if the hood and/or stripes get screwed-up when drilling out and replacing the rivets for a new scoop. IMO, that would be worse than the dip. So I want a little confdence that the improvement is worth the risk.

If and when there is a final solution for the scoop issues, I am going to let others be the guinea pigs (like I have done for the rivet fix) and see how the fix holds up for them before I make the move.

I would be quite pleased if SAI just did a complete recall of the SGT hoods and had the dealers replace them with a GT500 KR hood. No waiting to see if the fix works. I would just comply. End of story. Everyone happy: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

normal_08Shelby_GT500KR_3024.jpg

Archived