TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

This smiley says it all :banghead:

My new hood scoop install was a failure and I'm still waiting on Ford/Shelby to resolve the issues. In no particular order:

1. Install caused hood warping on driver's side. They think the rivet caught a hood support rib or cross member.

2. Paint around some rivets is cracked or pulled. 9 total rivets have this problem. An install problem most likely.

3. Hood stripe is being ruined by the scoop. The stripes are bunching up in places around the scoop edge. I guess this is due to vibration.

Here's some sample pictures. First I'll start with the original scoop....

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

New scoop. Example of rivet problem....

rivet1.jpg

Hood tape FUBAR......

hoodtape1.jpg

hoodtape3.jpg

hoodtape4.jpg

And a nice combo picture....

scoopcorner.jpg

I couldn't get a decent picture of the hood warp but it's there. May try different lighting conditions.

It's clear that either my dealer really screwed up or the new scoop is still engineered poorly. My install was in January so I assume it's the two piece scoop (although I did not see it come out of the box). Anyway, I'm the squeaky wheel at my dealer and remain cautiously optimistic that this will eventually be fixed to my satisfaction. That said, I'm pretty certain that all of us will have long-term problems with these new scoops. Temperature changes, vibration, etc. will take it's toll. In 5 years they will all look like crap.

No word yet on what Ford/Shelby intend to do. I'll keep you updated.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This smiley says it all :banghead:

remain cautiously optimistic that this will eventually be fixed to my satisfaction.

No word yet on what Ford/Shelby intend to do. I'll keep you updated.

What would lead anyone to believe they should be cautiously optimistic at this point?

Speed of a resolution - poor

execution of resolutions - poor

communication regarding resolutions - poor (yes, I know Amy posted a month ago but that post disappeared with no updates since).

People were scolded and chided on the old message boards for speaking up.

I've gotten to the point that I'm beyond happy that I've held off on the new sccops, as they seem worse than what I'm dealing with. I'm to the point that if they get it fixed I will be thrilled. But I won't be a guinea pig, and I won't be buying a Ford again for a long, long time. (It had been 13 years since I last bought Ford because of quality, it will likely be another 13 again).

I love driving my car, I love looking at it 99% of the time.

Am I close to 100% satisfied - No.

Sorry, just how I feel at this point. Ban me if you want to.

Now I see what you are talking about..ouch !

Whoever put those rivets in in the later pics out to be shot ! :banghead:

My latest ( 4 or 5 i lost count ) scoop lays perfectly flat, rivets are perfect, doesn't hurt the stripes...but i have a dip about 3-4 inches from the front. It is my understanding that there is a new scoop in the works.

Your situation I am sure will be addressed, and they will need to replace your stripes as well !

My latest ( 4 or 5 i lost count ) scoop lays perfectly flat, rivets are perfect, doesn't hurt the stripes...but i have a dip about 3-4 inches from the front. It is my understanding that there is a new scoop in the works.

You are on scoop 4 or 5????? Doesn't this tell Ford/Shelby something.

First I've heard about another new scoop design. Great...(said with sarcasm), just what we need. Fix #4 (or is it #8?) that will probably be riveted differently making obsolete all previous holes in the hood. Eventually my hood will be swiss cheese. And to think...all this heartache over a decorative, non-functional item. Ford/Shelby could have save a lot of money had the engineers taken a little more time at the beginning. I think it's time for a new hood design and replacement--the scoop is a failure.

all I can say about that install is OUCH!I know this won't make anybody feel better but I seriously considered a Roush 427R at one time and the stripes were all screwed up under the scoop edges,You folks are not alone with the scoop issues.BTW those cars routinely MSRP at 50K,Real OUCH there!

Now I see what you are talking about..ouch !

Whoever put those rivets in in the later pics out to be shot ! :banghead:

Your situation I am sure will be addressed, and they will need to replace your stripes as well !

My scoop is perfect except for the dip. The dealer did a perfect job on the install of the rivets and he took his time. SAI may have alloted 2 hours for the install but my dealer took all day and then some to make sure he didn't warp the hood, etc. and his care shows.

This rivet install clearly requires skill and care.

Even with this level of service, I'm still concerned about getting the new scoop installed because of the risk in drilling out rivets and reinstalling them.

Given the possible outcome, I could live with the dip because the scoop I have fits perfectly and all those gaps on the old scoop bothered me more than the dip does. Nobody notices the dip unless I show it to them anyways.

Anyway, I'm not going to be one of the first to get the new scoop installed again.

One thing that bothers me is that they have been using this new scoop for a while on the 2008's and nobody said anything on this forum. I know many of them have the same problem because I saw it on the '08s.

I am curious why some keep blaming Ford or Ford/SAI. This is not a Ford issue. The vehicles left Ford with a perfect hood. We paid to have our vehicles modified by an after market company (SAI). I think the quality of the Mustang, in general, has been very good. This is an SAI issue not a Ford issue.

I agree that this is not so much a Ford issue as it is SAI. I have always had a little regret that the scoop was not functional in the first place so having issues with a bolted on piece of plastic is hard to swallow. Its too bad, because the old cobra looking scoop was one feature that I really fell in love with when I saw the first prototype pics. I knew I had to own one.

I still have my original scoop on my car. Mine is lifting and warping a little on the sides, not as much as some of the others I have seen post here but if you get down and eyeball it you see daylight between it and the hood. I was escited to learn that there were SAI fixes coming but each time we get one it seems people are having many problems still and in other cases people end up much worse off. I am one of the guilty party who has chosen to wait this out and see what the final solution is. I do thank all the test subjects out there for the participation in working with SAI on working toward a better fix.

Personally I choose to believe that SAI cares and that they might be the most broken hearted party on this issue. Shelby certainly doesn't want a sub par performance product out in the market. I am sure that they will continue to work on something that will fix it. In another non rlated thread on this forum Amy said that each and every Shelby car is special and that it's part of a family. It was in reference to the GT500 vs the SGT, and she was making a point that each car is special and that no one is better than the other... I think this attitude encompasses the ideal that each car is special and so I think SAI will want this issue fixed as badly as we do. Not because SAI wants us to GO AWAY, but because they want it to be right too! my 2pennies.

Even if a higher quality scoop is offered,The attatching is obviously going to be a LARGE issue!Some dealerships could probably handle it,Others obviously cannot.Honestly most dealerships are going to put the oil change guy on this,Not Good!Hopefully sometime in the near future you folks will get what you deserve.Luckily I had no real issues with my scoop,But they had a black SGT on the lot next to mine that looked as if the scoop was glued on in spots,it was horrible.What makes it worse is that the scoop is what you look at when you drive,So it is constantly on your mind.

looks like someone just took some nails and wacked them in with a hammer. :chairshot:

i still have the original scoop.

it has a little bit of lifting on the sides but still holding down good on the front corners and the back. i bought the car last august and have no garage so mine sits outside all the time. its been in the heat of summer. dead cold of winter. rained on, covered in snow and ice. in humid to dry air. bird poop and cat prints (which i clean off from time to time).

so far the condition of my scoop hasnt got worse(knock on wood).

i'm not even considering changing my scoop.

Even if a higher quality scoop is offered,The attatching is obviously going to be a LARGE issue!Some dealerships could probably handle it,Others obviously cannot.Honestly most dealerships are going to put the oil change guy on this,Not Good!Hopefully sometime in the near future you folks will get what you deserve.Luckily I had no real issues with my scoop,But they had a black SGT on the lot next to mine that looked as if the scoop was glued on in spots,it was horrible.What makes it worse is that the scoop is what you look at when you drive,So it is constantly on your mind.

Dealerships are not going to just put some oil change guy on it. Why would say something so idiotic!

Here, take a look at this scoop. This is exactly how this arrived straight from SAI when it came off the truck. And this is on the new 08. Maybe SAI is using some oil change guys to install these??? I can't believe this would get pass final inspection before delivering this!!!

I don't understand why they are using a softer plastic compound to make these. They should be made of the same hard compound used on the regular GT Mustand scoops and the side scoops they use.

But this here is just poor workmanship by whoever installed this one and an example of poor quality control by letting this leave like this!

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the dealer. This will need the entire stripe replaced and new scoop installed properly so it doesn't have all the adhesive tape exposed like it does here.

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

Didn't mean to offend but it seems like the warranty work gets handed to the low guys on the totem pole.Do you honestly think that someone with any sense installed that replacement scoop,And that the service manager would let it out the door looking like that!That dealership needs some schooling.Obviously they put a complete goofball on it!As far as the one from Shelby looking crappy,Any chance that the stripes wadded up AFTER it was finally inspected?Seems like a real possibility as the scoop settles it will pull up the tape under it.You know as well as I do that no one at the dealership that wants to make money would take on that scoop install,Warranty work pays less than a customer pay job plus that looks like a very tedious install.I bet some of that lifting could be avoided by some carefully thought out research.BTW I'm not idiotic,Just speaking from real experiences.It's rather obvious that as the scoop is attatched with rivets it spreads therefore bunching up the stripes.

This is just my observed observation of what I see.

The vinyl decal stripes I have seen personally on SGT’s look to be a little thinner (2-mill) thickness vs. a factory stock GT500 with (5-mill) thickness. The thinner the material the easier it is to rip, tear or wrinkle it when pressure is applied to it.

The factory hoods are made from stamped aluminum & are very susceptible to any pressure that is applied to them (like when being drilled for pop-rivets) or when a punch pin is used with a hammer to mark the drill points. Extra care needs to be taken when doing this.

Just like torquing down a cylinder head on a motor or tightening the lug nuts on your car, a specific sequence is needed for it to be attached correctly & most importantly, evenly. Maybe the person doing the pop-rivet attachment of the hood scoop started on one side & just worked his way around in a U-Shape without reading the instructions from SAI. (except in Shelby Dudes case)

None the less I hope this issue can be resolved so everyone is happy with the outcome & your car.

Didn't mean to offend but it seems like the warranty work gets handed to the low guys on the totem pole.Do you honestly think that someone with any sense installed that replacement scoop,And that the service manager would let it out the door looking like that!That dealership needs some schooling.Obviously they put a complete goofball on it!As far as the one from Shelby looking crappy,Any chance that the stripes wadded up AFTER it was finally inspected?Seems like a real possibility as the scoop settles it will pull up the tape under it.You know as well as I do that no one at the dealership that wants to make money would take on that scoop install,Warranty work pays less than a customer pay job plus that looks like a very tedious install.I bet some of that lifting could be avoided by some carefully thought out research.BTW I'm not idiotic,Just speaking from real experiences.It's rather obvious that as the scoop is attatched with rivets it spreads therefore bunching up the stripes.

Yeah, about as much chance as that one that was replaced by the dealer waded up causing the scoop to put pressure against those rivits or something.

Why are we so quick to make excuses for a crappy install from one company, yet so quick to flame dealers on everything???

Don't get me wrong, I agree that dealer did a lousy job on that scoop above, but SAI did just as lousy of a job on this scoop as well. So, no, it was not caused from anything after the fact. It was installed like that and left SAI looking like that.

And I can't answer how other dealers handle who gets their warranty work to do, but here it is all related to what the issue is and is given to the person most qualified to do that type of work. It isn't just all handed to the low guy on the totempole. Get real!

Just for your information, dealers make a lot of money off warranty work. If it wasn't for that work, you would not see any new car dealerships around because they don't make money off selling new cars. Thwey make the money from service taking care of all that warranty work! Otherwise it wouldn't pay to mess with having a new car franchise.

Yeah, about as much chance as that one that was replaced by the dealer waded up causing the scoop to put pressure against those rivits or something.

Why are we so quick to make excuses for a crappy install from one company, yet so quick to flame dealers on everything???

Don't get me wrong, I agree that dealer did a lousy job on that scoop above, but SAI did just as lousy of a job on this scoop as well. So, no, it was not caused from anything after the fact. It was installed like that and left SAI looking like that.

And I can't answer how other dealers handle who gets their warranty work to do, but here it is all related to what the issue is and is given to the person most qualified to do that type of work. It isn't just all handed to the low guy on the totempole. Get real!

Just for your information, dealers make a lot of money off warranty work. If it wasn't for that work, you would not see any new car dealerships around because they don't make money off selling new cars. Thwey make the money from service taking care of all that warranty work! Otherwise it wouldn't pay to mess with having a new car franchise.

same issue with my replacement riveted scoop, just took it back today for warranty, they took pics and will advise, has a fix been announced because i looked at 6 08-gt's on show room and 4 out of 6 has exact same issue with the rivets and scoop!! i had to point it out to them because no one at dealership even new!! went to another dealership they had one 08 same problem.

I am curious why some keep blaming Ford or Ford/SAI. This is not a Ford issue. The vehicles left Ford with a perfect hood. We paid to have our vehicles modified by an after market company (SAI). I think the quality of the Mustang, in general, has been very good. This is an SAI issue not a Ford issue.

right on the money, you are correct. i posted on the old site that ford oem validates the factory plastics through a durability schedule that would have caught this problem (most likely).

the scoop belongs to SAI. they probably trusted whoever the vendor is to give them good material. i will bet there was next to no validation. bad thing on any new scoop is that there will probably be no durability testing (how could there be)

thats the trouble with any aftermarket items, mostly the customer does the testing

I am concerned with using rivets, they dont allow easy repair and are too technician dependant as far as quality of installation. rather see stainless fastners with a torque call out. my .02

+1

BTW Ford has a quality hood scoop. I have had my car since the summer of 2006 and it is perfect. Ford did a nice job on designing a quality hood scoop that will hold up over the life of the car.

th_CaliforniaSpecial007.jpg

th_IceonthGT-CS012.jpg

th_IceonthGT-CS010.jpg

th_IceonthGT-CS002.jpg

th_IceonthGT-CS001.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial8-26-07009.jpg

th_CaliforniaSpecial8-26-07008.jpg

ok newbie question

will new rivets for what ever the fix is go into the existing rivet holes or do you feel we are talking new hoods also!

There are no rivet holes on the hood. Those are fake rivets which is why the scoop buckles.

Not a fan of the CS hood. Just opinion but a non-buckled SGT hood scoop is bad a$$.

I would settle for a factory scoop at this point.

I love the Ford factory scoop all the way...except for the looks. I have seen a lot of after market hood scoops, and none of them ever come close to capturing the style of the SAI scoops. We need a scoop that has the SAI style but the durability of a factory scoop.

Aluminum + vinyl + plastic + heat + cold = future problems

+1

BTW Ford has a quality hood scoop. I have had my car since the summer of 2006 and it is perfect. Ford did a nice job on designing a quality hood scoop that will hold up over the life of the car.

Yeah, but it's WAY WAY too small for the car. I've always thought that from the first day I saw it I was like "why bother" it's anemic looking. Personally the worst excuse for a non-functional scoop I have ever seen. Please anything but this!

Do you think I feel passionately about this?

LOL.... :hysterical:

I had my 08 SGT delivered to my house Jan 30 and this is exactly how my tape looks as well - I am so irritated over this. I will call my dealer next week to see what they can do but I don't trust them to touch it. I barely trust my husband to drive this car. Of course the dealer has been awesome up to now and claims to be the #2 seller of mustangs in colorado and I have yet to take my car back to them for warranty issues so my non-trust is completely unwarranted. But still - she's so precious to me! What if it comes back worse?!?!? I never liked this hood scoop and prefer the GT-H's hood instead but I just can't spend the additional $1600 right now to swap it out.

Anyways, ShelbyDude, did you contact your dealer regarding your tape issue? If so, what did they say?

Archived