TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The site has been down all week or Im sure we woul dhave 2 more pages by now.LOL When I couldnt get on the site and saw they were doing amintenance I figured they were removing all the hood scoop and lower grill light threads!LOL :)

You guys are seriously killing me! :finger:

Some one needs to get a sense of humor!

:slapfight:

Some folks are probably finding it hard to have a sense of humor about the ongoing hood scoop issue...but not me...I've been thinking that this is becoming a bigger joke all the time!!! :hysterical:

As for the promised April response...well, its now May...and SAI has been eerily silent!!! It would be nice if we could get a progress report.

I agree with you Amy said April for final answer on scoop spoke with Ford Racing today as SAI ignores me. They said rivets is it and dealers are screwing up install, asked them about quality on 08s on dealers lot silent asked them why they think they have had two poor quality 07s on lot, slient. In comparison had problem with 2000 BMW 323 called BMW North split bill with me and arranged loaner, it did help that I have bougth lot of Bimmers there is a reason excellent quality and excellent customer service at least for me. I will wait until my sanil mail is signed for then when I am in Vegas EOM May will just stop in SAI and see waht up?

Some folks are probably finding it hard to have a sense of humor about the ongoing hood scoop issue...but not me...I've been thinking that this is becoming a bigger joke all the time!!! :hysterical:

As for the promised April response...well, its now May...and SAI has been eerily silent!!! It would be nice if we could get a progress report.

If I owned a Shelby GT with this problem;

Think I would opt for the "SHAKER HOOD" and no more rivets...........

Think it would look "GREAT"????????????

My new scoop looks great (still) as do my stripes (still) and until and unless that changes I no longer have a scoop issue.

Jeff, is your Shelby a daily driver? Just curious if it's been driven much since the latest scoop fix, subject to temperature changes etc. or has it been mostly garaged? Here's hoping no more problems. I just wish we were all fortunate enough to have a really good body shop to do the fix.

Jim

for those of you who think shelby has finally found the answer to the hood scoop problem then think again.i received my new and improved hood scoop monday ,april 28th.i told the body shop foreman to take the scoop out of the box and let me look at it before he installed it.he noticed the scoop didn;t have the same shine on the paint as the old one but i figured all i needed to do was put a good polish on it. then he said look at the front of the scoop,you know where the dip was in the scoop on my car now,yeah you guessed it a new factory improved 'dip'.the shop foreman who put on my other scoop and did an excellent job said he would not put that scoop on the car.shelby just doesn;t get it.ford needs to take charge.enough is enough.you guys who think your problems will be over with the latest version are just fooling yourselves.i bet every time you leave your car in the sun and go back to it you'll be looking at the scoop to see if it has that dreaded dip.it;s time shelby swaps our hoods out for something better and they pay the cost.i bet if it was a ford problem it would have been fixed a long time ago.well this was only going to be the 4th scoop on the car,what do you expect.

My new scoop looks great (still) as do my stripes (still) and until and unless that changes I no longer have a scoop issue.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut......you may not have an issue but LOTS of us still do.

for those of you who think shelby has finally found the answer to the hood scoop problem then think again.i received my new and improved hood scoop monday ,april 28th.i told the body shop foreman to take the scoop out of the box and let me look at it before he installed it.he noticed the scoop didn;t have the same shine on the paint as the old one but i figured all i needed to do was put a good polish on it. then he said look at the front of the scoop,you know where the dip was in the scoop on my car now,yeah you guessed it a new factory improved 'dip'.the shop foreman who put on my other scoop and did an excellent job said he would not put that scoop on the car.shelby just doesn;t get it.ford needs to take charge.enough is enough.you guys who think your problems will be over with the latest version are just fooling yourselves.i bet every time you leave your car in the sun and go back to it you'll be looking at the scoop to see if it has that dreaded dip.it;s time shelby swaps our hoods out for something better and they pay the cost.i bet if it was a ford problem it would have been fixed a long time ago.well this was only going to be the 4th scoop on the car,what do you expect.

Sorry, your shop guy was wrong about the scoop. My shop guy said the EXACT same thing! I went down and sure enough there was a dip! However what he did not do, and I suspect neither did yours, was place the pillow under the scoop on a flat surface and push down around the edges. I did, and guess what!?!? The dip went away. The scoop is on my car, the pics are posted here, and the dip disappeared once installed.

Sorry, your shop guy was wrong about the scoop. My shop guy said the EXACT same thing! I went down and sure enough there was a dip! However what he did not do, and I suspect neither did yours, was place the pillow under the scoop on a flat surface and push down around the edges. I did, and guess what!?!? The dip went away. The scoop is on my car, the pics are posted here, and the dip disappeared once installed.

Which edges? The front top and bottom of the pillow?

What if for those with the "old" pillow scoop installed:

Something is placed on top of the tower brace to allow one to close the hood but still support the underside of the hood. Then............

Press down on the scoop to get the same affect your dealer got when pressed the edges of the pillow.

Any thoughts?

My point is I did have an issue, remember this is scoop number "4", now I don't. I believe, based upon the the poll, the majority of people here are on scoop #1 and haven't even tried to get it fixed. I'm proof that the scoop can be put on, the last two, without messing up the scoop itself.

Jeff you have alot of free time....respectfully and seriously. Alot of people do not. I do not have the patience to deal with this issue at dealer....until its final...yours looks good now . BUT again i have yet to see one 08 at my dealer without the problem. They have not fixed the ones on the lot why would i let them try mine? Seriously.

How long do you think it will be until you can find this hood scoop on the aftermarket? You would think

someone would pick up on this issue and offer stiffer compound hood scoops. I have been asked a

number of times by GT owners, did I know where they could get that hood scoop, because they liked it

better than the Rousch hood scoop so many dealers add on the lot. It's only a matter of time ... right?

Kevin

07SGT2591

My point is I did have an issue, remember this is scoop number "4", now I don't. I believe, based upon the the poll, the majority of people here are on scoop #1 and haven't even tried to get it fixed. I'm proof that the scoop can be put on, the last two, without messing up the scoop itself.

I understand your point but look at these facts. You have a good one. Who else does?? I have not had mine swapped yet and am waiting for word that this is fixed. No word comes. Dates go by. People on here have had these things swapped out. Some repeatedly and they still dont look good. So what is happening is people are following these threads and seeing people get them swapped and not being happy. So why then would those people have it doem? Also some are going to dealers and being told no way will the swap it out. Go elsewhere. meanwhile time goes on and on and on. And it is like we are supposed to say F and and move on. That isnt going to happen. I do not want this thing to turn into a huge bro ha ha over this. I know SAi doesnt either. We all want the same thing. Us paying customers to be happy. I knw they have alot going on at SAi with the SS and KR returns. But my car says SGT on the side. I see a new person has been hired to replace John. I got the email today. He says he wants to improve the communication between SAI and customer. This item would be a great start.

I see a new person has been hired to replace John. I got the email today. He says he wants to improve the communication between SAI and customer. This item would be a great start.

I got that email also - I think his name is Donnie? As a Marketing Manager, surely he will realize that it is in SAI's best interest (now and future) to keep us posted on status and to get this issue resolved. Hey, maybe he can even include a picture of the test oven in his next email!!

Which edges? The front top and bottom of the pillow?

What if for those with the "old" pillow scoop installed:

Something is placed on top of the tower brace to allow one to close the hood but still support the underside of the hood. Then............

Press down on the scoop to get the same affect your dealer got when pressed the edges of the pillow.

Any thoughts?

When scoop #4 came in we place the pillow under the scoop and placed the scoop on a table as it would sit on the car's hood. Then holding the edges of the scoop on the sides where the rivets go push down until the rivet area is flush with the table top. It's really not easy! You will see that the pillow pushes up from underneath and the dip is gone. My body shop manager called me in to look at #4 saying "it has a big dip! You're not going to want to put this on, you better come down and look!" As I said on the car the dip is gone now and hopefully will never return! Knock on plastic!

Jeff you have alot of free time....respectfully and seriously. Alot of people do not. I do not have the patience to deal with this issue at dealer....until its final...yours looks good now . BUT again i have yet to see one 08 at my dealer without the problem. They have not fixed the ones on the lot why would i let them try mine? Seriously.

I TOTALLY understand. I want a final fix and will be happy to go get #5! However I have to think that with under 18% of people even getting the scoop fixe even ONCE and then only 11% of the total still with an issue I can't see Ford or SAI thinking there is any more wrong than a few bad installations. IMHO! No facts to back that up other than if I were a "bean counter" there wouldn't be any red flags on this as a problem given the low numbers.

I TOTALLY understand. I want a final fix and will be happy to go get #5! However I have to think that with under 18% of people even getting the scoop fixe even ONCE and then only 11% of the total still with an issue I can't see Ford or SAI thinking there is any more wrong than a few bad installations. IMHO! No facts to back that up other than if I were a "bean counter" there wouldn't be any red flags on this as a problem given the low numbers.

SAI and Amy know how big a problem this is - are you, in effect, saying that SAI and Amy are ignoring us and waiting to see whether or not Ford becomes concerned on the basis of dealer reports? Suppose every SGT owner on this forum reports the problem to their dealer - do you believe that will make a difference? I don't think there are enough SGT owners on this forum to make that happen. We need for SAI and Amy Bolan to step up to the plate and make this right.

SAI and Amy know how big a problem this is - are you, in effect, saying that SAI and Amy are ignoring us and waiting to see whether or not Ford becomes concerned on the basis of dealer reports? Suppose every SGT owner on this forum reports the problem to their dealer - do you believe that will make a difference? I don't think there are enough SGT owners on this forum to make that happen. We need for SAI and Amy Bolan to step up to the plate and make this right.

:beatdeadhorse: Do what I am doing, boycotting all purchases to SAI...no mod shop S/C, no more purchasing parts from SAI, until they behave and get their act together.

How about circulating a petition and sending it to Mr. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford?

:beatdeadhorse: Do what I am doing, boycotting all purchases to SAI...no mod shop S/C, no more purchasing parts from SAI, until they behave and get their act together.

How about circulating a petition and sending it to Mr. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford?

Sounds good to me!

That's not what I said. But hey.... as has been written "it's better to light a single candle the curse the darkness".

Jeff you are in marketing. Hows this slogan work.."if you dont get good service the first time come back 10 more times and we might make it happen"??! It doesnt work. We dont want this to be a huge p*ssing match. I bet no one on here would want that. We love SAI and our cars. We have this slight issue. My time is valueable. I dont have the spare time to drive to my dealer over and over. I used to do that with my original Ford dealer. After the 8th time fixing the same exhaust rattle on my truck I went elsewhere. If my customers had to have me make the same part 5 times because we couldnt make it right I know what they would do. And the most frustrating thing is we get told info on a date and then hear nothing. We know they know. Just tell us they arent going to fix it and let us make our next move.

Jeff you are in marketing. Hows this slogan work.."if you dont get good service the first time come back 10 more times and we might make it happen"??! It doesnt work. We dont want this to be a huge p*ssing match. I bet no one on here would want that. We love SAI and our cars. We have this slight issue. My time is valueable. I dont have the spare time to drive to my dealer over and over. I used to do that with my original Ford dealer. After the 8th time fixing the same exhaust rattle on my truck I went elsewhere. If my customers had to have me make the same part 5 times because we couldnt make it right I know what they would do. And the most frustrating thing is we get told info on a date and then hear nothing. We know they know. Just tell us they arent going to fix it and let us make our next move.

Yes, I am in marketing, well really product management, and I am always asked to "build a business case" for almost every decision where I spend the company's money. I just put myself in the same role at SAI or Ford and if I were asked why I want to spend $$$$$$ to create an entirely new scoop when there have been so few "reported" failures I wouldn't have much a leg to stand on. Hey, I don't know what's going on inside SAI or how Ford feels about the situation, I know no more than all of you and I'm not privy to any inside information on this. I'm just trying to look at it as a business decision and not an owner's emotional feeling.

Now having said that, as a product manager, I would be doing my own research and be in forums like this every day. I would put up the hood-scoop poll rather than members doing it on their own so I could understand the size of the problem beyond the warranty data. Unfortunately there is no assigned person at SAI, no one person that's charged with the SGT program and deals with issues like this as well figures out how to sell more "stuff" to that group. Since there isn't I suspect more attention will be had and more weight will be put on simple warranty data.

So hey, in the end, we're all guessing! We haven't heard back other than Amy saying she didn't have an answer yet. I take this to mean she understands there is a problem and they are working on it. Warranty claims, to me, are just a nudge that can't hurt.

If you can't make the time, I understand that, so how about the other 48 of us? I'm tired of carrying the load for you all! :dance:

The warranty is 3 years / 36000 miles. I think patience is the keyword here. My feeling is that anybody who has been following this scoop issue should not be replacing their scoops yet. I still have my original 2007 4 bolt scoop and it isn't going anywhere until I know of a final, verified and tested fix.

I also would not blame the techs/mechanics - this is a design and engineering issue. They engineers have given the techs a very difficult task here - poor (scoop) material, numerous drill holes and rivets, all this pressed against vinyl striping - and not every tech is as talented as the other. Numerous dealers have been smart enough to tell SAI that they won't touch it. Hell, SAI cannot even get good, consistent results out of a factory installation, how would they expect a bunch of untrained mechanics all over the country to do it?

I'm sorry if some of this has been covered already, I've only gotten half way thru this thread so far. I have to disagree with this strategy.

If we start waiting for a fix, then the noise level at the dealerships will drop. If you have the problem, contact the dealer. Shelby has to reimburse the dealers for the cost of repair. The more they spend on worthless repairs, the higher the priority will become to get a fix.

I don't believe the problem is with the scoop... I think the problem is with the aluminum hood. Aluminum moves and deforms much easier when temperatures change. It seems to me that the hood is moving and causing the tape to buckle. I think the final fix might be to get a regular steel hood and paint the stripes rather than use vinyl.

I have a GT500, my SO has a SGT. I am not impressed with the quality control and customer service coming out of SAI on several fronts. I love the performance and am not dissing SAI here in that regard, but their customer care and follow up seems to be lacking something. There are a lot of smart people there. I can only assume that they just don't give a damn.

EDIT:

By the way, I had to have the hood and scoop replaced once, not for this problem but because the hood was defective. The dealership did a great job, but thanks to this thread I will be watching the hood closely. The work was done about 3 weeks ago. It was curious that they included a formed foam pad that went under the scoop. Maybe that's their "fix?"

Yes, I am in marketing, well really product management, and I am always asked to "build a business case" for almost every decision where I spend the company's money. I just put myself in the same role at SAI or Ford and if I were asked why I want to spend $$$$$$ to create an entirely new scoop when there have been so few "reported" failures I wouldn't have much a leg to stand on. Hey, I don't know what's going on inside SAI or how Ford feels about the situation, I know no more than all of you and I'm not privy to any inside information on this. I'm just trying to look at it as a business decision and not an owner's emotional feeling.

Now having said that, as a product manager, I would be doing my own research and be in forums like this every day. I would put up the hood-scoop poll rather than members doing it on their own so I could understand the size of the problem beyond the warranty data. Unfortunately there is no assigned person at SAI, no one person that's charged with the SGT program and deals with issues like this as well figures out how to sell more "stuff" to that group. Since there isn't I suspect more attention will be had and more weight will be put on simple warranty data.

So hey, in the end, we're all guessing! We haven't heard back other than Amy saying she didn't have an answer yet. I take this to mean she understands there is a problem and they are working on it. Warranty claims, to me, are just a nudge that can't hurt.

If you can't make the time, I understand that, so how about the other 48 of us? I'm tired of carrying the load for you all! :dance:

Your scenario of building a business case would be great except they do know theer is an issue, have made some attempts at fixing it, have told us they are still working on something else, and have told us it will be fixed. Also, how do you know there has been so few reported failures? By the poll on this site? Go to any mustang site and look in the Shelby SGT section and you will see talk about it. Some of it is by the same people on here but alot is not. I gotta tell ya. I wonder where the Jeff we knew from the old site went.........

Your scenario of building a business case would be great except they do know theer is an issue, have made some attempts at fixing it, have told us they are still working on something else, and have told us it will be fixed. Also, how do you know there has been so few reported failures? By the poll on this site? Go to any mustang site and look in the Shelby SGT section and you will see talk about it. Some of it is by the same people on here but alot is not. I gotta tell ya. I wonder where the Jeff we knew from the old site went.........

Knowing there is a problem and creating a business case to correct that problem are two different things. First you need to understand the size of the problem, along with the current and possible future impact on the company. Impact can be money or adverse effects on goodwill and reputation. From that you develop a possible solutions and their costs and benefits. The business case outlines the issue, the solution, the cost avoidance and cost containment rational. Ugh...it's even more than this simple explanation. It comes down the fact that not getting these fixed is not helping anyone inside trying to make a case to do this RIGHT and that's my only point.

As for where is Jeff from the old forum...talk to me in a few months as the weather warms up if my scoop starts moving around. Then.... :angry22:

I can assure you, you guys have a lot more free time then me. Is simple, go to dealer if you have problem, ask them to fix. Beyond that is undue pain and suffering which is not needed or desire by SAI. I will be taking mine in soon and am fully aware, as my dealer is, of the issue. Thank god for this forum or we would all be in the dark. Steve

Archived