TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

After reading all the post I'm very lucky my new hood scoop has been on for 5 month and is still perfect. When the dealer fix mine the bodyshop manager did the work so it would be done right.

Were did you get this work done? I will drive there MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work.

Jim

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeff,

From inspection of the new vs. the old scoop, you say you can't tell any difference. What information do you have that says you actually have the new scoop?

I can see no visible difference but Amy posted there was a bad batch. I exchanged emails with Bud and Amy when the scoop arrived and was assured this was the corrected batch.

STILL waiting on the stripes..... :banghead:

But still...there is a "final fix" in the works...under review...being tested. What is it? What could it be? The mystery continues.... :ninja:

Ok - so I've been following this thread for a while now and have been hoping that I would not have to type this message.

I bought my SGT back in November - cold out - car's been in garage all winter until the last 2 days (500 miles on the odometer). Been out driving - still fairly cold outside. . . . . . my stripes are starting to peel back now just like everyone elses (around the back edge - right were you can see it).

Granted - it's not bad now - nobody else notices it - but I do! I can see it everytime I look out the W/S when I'm driving. I'm curious to see what comes down from SAI on this. I was hoping that I had, by some stroke of luck, missed out on this headache. I'm not going to bash SAI - I'm not happy - but I'm still not going to walk away from them over this. This is MY first experience with anything related to "Shelby" and looking back through the mirad threads of other issues that have come up - I think y'all might agree that SAI has, for the most part, come through on a majority of them.

Now - I've made the choice to switch to the CS6 hood and put the original up in the rafters in a box. I'm going in to Quantum Performance the end of May for their Open House/Grand Opening, and to have the CS6 hood installed along with the lower grille/lamps/bezels.......................etc. I'd like to know what the fix is going to be. I'd also like to know that I can get this fixed later. I'm also interested in a potential credit toward the purchase of the CS6 hood, should one ever be offered (This scoop issue is the whole reason I've made the choice to switch out the hood.)

I like the scoop - it's the "Shelby" signature accessory to our SGTs! It's sole purpose in this world is to remind us of "Shebly Heritage" and where it all started. It stings a little, looking out the W/S at the focal point of the hood and seeing it warped, mis-shapped and peeling my stripes back. I know that the people at SAI can't feel 'Good' about any of this knowing what's at stake here..................

If they can get it to stop the 'dipper' effect, as some have called it at the front about 3" back...................I was thinking about this.

Just a stroke of brilliance, genius, and inginuity....... or, perhaps a dumb idea................................since the scoop does expand/contract with temp differences. . . . A gasket of some kind........ What about putting a thin, felt ring (thickness of a dime maybe) or a small bit of black or gray foam around the underside of the scoop where it makes contact with the stripes and the hood???????? Wouldn't this let the scoop expand/contract (slide) as minimal as it does (and most likely always will) WITHOUT causing damage to the vinyl stripes??

My $0.02 on this issue - Thoughts?

Trevor

The proper fix is that the stripes should be redesigned so that the do not come in contact w/ the scoop, but rather just outside of the scoop perimeter. Felt would not stand the forces of nature very long, I don't think, and long term you'd have the same problem.

Amy did offer a credit on a CS6 hood awhile back, but I don't think there were many takers. Maybe you could email her about it. I think though, if you get that credit then you probably won't also get a new scoop when the fix comes out - unless you can negotiate otherwise hopfully you can.

I believe the credit SAI offered on a CS hood was something like 25% off of a untrimmed, unfinished hood. At this minimal discount SAI maybe still making a profit on the hood not to mention get themselfs out from under the deffective scoop issue for those that take them up on the deal. Thos who take the offer still have to spend hundreds of dollars finishing and painting the hood in order to install it and then I hear that these hoods may not always fit correctly. I think the offer of a CS hood should include a finished hood at a significant discount.

My 2¢

I believe the credit SAI offered on a CS hood was something like 25% off of a untrimmed, unfinished hood. At this minimal discount SAI maybe still making a profit on the hood not to mention get themselfs out from under the deffective scoop issue for those that take them up on the deal. Thos who take the offer still have to spend hundreds of dollars finishing and painting the hood in order to install it and then I hear that these hoods may not always fit correctly. I think the offer of a CS hood should include a finished hood at a significant discount.

My 2¢

I will +1 your 2 cents!

This is my favorite thread, by the way.... :happy feet:

enough is enough.like i've said before about these scoops,mine has taken alot of enjoyment from owning this car.i've had more problems with this scoop than any part on any car that i have ever owned.i believe shelby should replace these hoods with the c6 hood free.why should we pay anything for the problems we have had.if ford were having this problem with scoops we would not let them off the hook.replacing these hoods is the least shelby could do.our time is worth something.we would expect any other manufacture to replace the hood so why not shelby.to many people have fallen in love with these cars to much to see clearly that we are being taken advantage of.i;m about to have the 4th scoop installed and i expect to have issues with the stripes like many others after new scoop installed.this is never ending.going to car show sunday and i hope it's cloudy so my scoop doesn't show the dip like it does when the suns out and the scoop warms up.just my 3 cents worth.

I am on #4 as well. We have been told that the current scoops will not exhibit the "dip"....guess we'll see. My #3 scoop, riveted, did not have any impact on my stripes, unlike others, nor did the rivets damage the scoop, other than the dip it looked great. I hope yours turns out as well.

Jeff, are you still waiting for your stripes or is everthing done and your #4 scoop is installed? If not how long do you have to wait?

enough is enough.like i've said before about these scoops,mine has taken alot of enjoyment from owning this car.i've had more problems with this scoop than any part on any car that i have ever owned.i believe shelby should replace these hoods with the c6 hood free.why should we pay anything for the problems we have had.if ford were having this problem with scoops we would not let them off the hook.replacing these hoods is the least shelby could do.our time is worth something.we would expect any other manufacture to replace the hood so why not shelby.to many people have fallen in love with these cars to much to see clearly that we are being taken advantage of.i;m about to have the 4th scoop installed and i expect to have issues with the stripes like many others after new scoop installed.this is never ending.going to car show sunday and i hope it's cloudy so my scoop doesn't show the dip like it does when the suns out and the scoop warms up.just my 3 cents worth.

ok so what do we do collectively if we continue to receive no feedback? what about all these dealers with bad 08's on the lots with same issue direct fro SAI! so much for quality control! i agree with what you say been over 1yr for me and still car is not way i expected it. what are our options, dealers seem in the dark, ford rejected the claim with my dealer, so now they are followig up especially when i walked them to their showroom and showed them 4 of their 08's had same issue

ok so what do we do collectively if we continue to receive no feedback? what about all these dealers with bad 08's on the lots with same issue direct fro SAI! so much for quality control! i agree with what you say been over 1yr for me and still car is not way i expected it. what are our options, dealers seem in the dark, ford rejected the claim with my dealer, so now they are followig up especially when i walked them to their showroom and showed them 4 of their 08's had same issue

One of your options is to cut your losses and not purchase items from people who have proven themselves to be unreliable. That's the route I'm going. Just my .02.

i walked them to their showroom and showed them 4 of their 08's had same issue

I hope the "new mold" is really the fix. However, I'm waiting to see some results before I risk another scoop install. I'm somewhat sceptical at this point. I just wish SAI would share a little more detail on the real problem.

Does anyone know who actually makes these scoops for SAI. I would call them and ask if I knew.

I hope the "new mold" is really the fix. However, I'm waiting to see some results before I risk another scoop install. I'm somewhat sceptical at this point. I just wish SAI would share a little more detail on the real problem.

Does anyone know who actually makes these scoops for SAI. I would call them and ask if I knew.

Probably China, so don't lick the paint ! :hysterical:

Maybe everyone close enough to SAI should band together and go to SAI and park in their parking lot and voice their concern's or maybe a cruise along the strip with sign's of protest. :slapfight:

Amy stated, in the above mentioned thread, on April 4, that they are looking at options other than rivets. I take this to mean that those who have the riveted scoops will continue to have them, but will get new scoops which will not have a dip. As for the rest of us, we have to wait and see what other options are presented.

Amy stated, in the above mentioned thread, on April 4, that they are looking at options other than rivets. I take this to mean that those who have the riveted scoops will continue to have them, but will get new scoops which will not have a dip. As for the rest of us, we have to wait and see what other options are presented.

the main problem is the rivets and the stripes, so a dip less scoop is still not a solution, wait wait wait. what about all those owners who do not read this forum, how do they find out about fixes when no official notice of acknowledgment of these issues has ever been sent out to owners. as you can read i'm just as frustrated as the next guy especially when i write that payment check each month

the main problem is the rivets and the stripes, so a dip less scoop is still not a solution, wait wait wait. what about all those owners who do not read this forum, how do they find out about fixes when no official notice of acknowledgment of these issues has ever been sent out to owners. as you can read i'm just as frustrated as the next guy especially when i write that payment check each month

Very few Shelby GT owners are on this site. I imagine most of them won't notice their scoops or care about them. I see that Amy also has a Shelby GT (photo is from Shelby Cafe opening). I wonder how her scoop and stripes are doing? Amy have you checked on it? I think the GT-C's are fully riveted though, not the original "4-bolts".

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/M...nt=IMG_2330.jpg

My car with the rivets looked GREAT! I mean PERFECT! No issues with the stripes nor any damage to the scoop itself due to too much pressure on the plastic of the scoop.

If this new scoop solves the dip issue I am done! Hopefully as the warmer weather comes etc., it will continue to hold up.

I'll keep you all updated!

Guys, I did update on the other thread, I didn't even see this one till today. I didn't realize there is a stripe issue. I can only go by what is reported.

The scopp with the dip was thrown out, the other molds are perfect. The original lift problem was due to the fasteners that we had to use, they came loose. The fix was the rivits.

In the 08 model year, we have had very little if any reports thru warranty.

I do have an 08 with the scoop rivited, mine was done they way they were all done, as I bought mine from Galpin Ford. I have not noticed any issues with the stripes, we bought 2 more recently and I will check those.

Could someone please email me the picture of the stripe rivit issue?

Also, thos who have had issues and have logged in to the ford warrenty system will get notified if we can get another fix on the fasteners, We have tried 4 or 5 other options, none meet warranty or dealer requirements. We will continue to see what we can do. We have not ignored these posts.

Amy

Guys, I did update on the other thread, I didn't even see this one till today. I didn't realize there is a stripe issue. I can only go by what is reported.

The scopp with the dip was thrown out, the other molds are perfect. The original lift problem was due to the fasteners that we had to use, they came loose. The fix was the rivits.

I do have an 08 with the scoop rivited, mine was done they way they were all done, as I bought mine from Galpin Ford. I have not noticed any issues with the stripes, we bought 2 more recently and I will check those.

Also, thos who have had issues and have logged in to the ford warrenty system will get notified if we can get another fix on the fasteners, We have tried 4 or 5 other options, none meet warranty or dealer requirements. We will continue to see what we can do. We have not ignored these posts.

Amy

Ms. Amy,

Check your email... I sent you and Bud an email on March 7th of my car with both the hood scoop with a dip and the stripe issue. The email had several SHQ pictures attached, my address is my92notch@yahoo.com. If you'd like I can resend. My car is currently at a shop having the new stripes and scoop installed. If you have time I would like to discuss this issue with you.

Our club had a display at the dealership that sponsors us. They have two SGT convertables in their showroom, both have the stripe issue and one has the dip in the hood scoop. I should have taken some pictures....

Amy

All: I have collected the pictures in here and emailed to Amy. Feel free to add others but wanted you to know!

Amy

Amy,

I must respectfully disagree that the original lift issues were due to fasteners coming out. My scoop lifts on the edges when it gets colder and settles back down when it gets warmer. It has always been a little wavy at the bottom, and the scoop has dimples all over it. It has been this way since it was new. All this while no fasteners have come loose, i.e., everything is tight.

This is a problem with the scoop material itself, and how it expands and contracts.

Many times I wonder if the communication between the customers and SAI is as good as it could be regarding this issue.

I think several people (like myself) haven't even attempted a warranty report yet because, just as you've stated here, SAI continues to review options and is trying to decide the best fix. So, since we know that a fix is not finalized, why bother to report warranty concerns? Doing so would just involve more time and effort on the part of your customers.

What should happen is, SAI should determine the proper and final fix. Then, we should be formally notified by by mail, or at least email, of what the fix is. Before any of this happens, the dealers should be notified so that they expect our calls for appointments, and so they are prepared and trained if necessary to perform the repairs.

If I called my dealer today about this scoop issue, would he have any idea what I'm talking about? I seriously doubt it. Can we somehow be advised which dealers are ready, willing and able to do the work? Personally, I would like to have Shelby at Tasca Ford do the work when the time comes.

Have I misunderstood or mis-stated anything?

Amy,

I think several people (like myself) haven't even attempted a warranty report yet because, just as you've stated here, SAI continues to review options and is trying to decide the best fix. So, since we know that a fix is not finalized, why bother to report warranty concerns? Doing so would just involve more time and effort on the part of your customers.

What should happen is, SAI should determine the proper and final fix. Then, we should be formally notified by by mail, or at least email, of what the fix is. Before any of this happens, the dealers should be notified so that they expect our calls for appointments, and so they are prepared and trained if necessary to perform the repairs.

If I called my dealer today about this scoop issue, would he have any idea what I'm talking about? I seriously doubt it. Can we somehow be advised which dealers are ready, willing and able to do the work? Personally, I would like to have Shelby at Tasca Ford do the work when the time comes.

ditto, except i am not lucky enough to be located by a performance dealership

Amy,

I must respectfully disagree that the original lift issues were due to fasteners coming out. My scoop lifts on the edges when it gets colder and settles back down when it gets warmer. It has always been a little wavy at the bottom, and the scoop has dimples all over it. It has been this way since it was new. All this while no fasteners have come loose, i.e., everything is tight.

This is a problem with the scoop material itself, and how it expands and contracts.

Many times I wonder if the communication between the customers and SAI is as good as it could be regarding this issue.

+1

I still have the original lifting scoop on my car. I had scoop replacement #3 (I think it was 3) ordered and scheduled to be installed when we started hearing about the "big dipper" and when I asked Bud if I should go through with the replacemnet I was told that if it was him he would hold off until the final design. So here I sit almost a year after I received my car not knowing whether or not to have scoop #4 installed for fear it will also have problems.

Amy you stated that their have not been many warranties logged against 08's, thats probably because most are waiting for SAI to announce the final fix or they are just not yet aware of the problem. I'll bet you that this scoop issue is way worse than you think, most are waiting for the final fix before requesting a warranty claim and many others including dealers are not aware of the problem. The only ones who know either have the problem so severe that they can't help but notice it or they have heard about it either from fellow SGT owners or from this site. Why doesn't SAI take a more proactive stance on this issue and contact all known owners and the dealerships in which the cars were sent and let them know you are working on correcting the situation. By sitting back and waiting for customers to notice the problem and come to you is just poor business practice especially for someone with the legendary history as Carrol Shelby.

My venting session :censored:

Amy,

There is a fix and that's the new scoop with the rivets. There are some dealers that can't or won't do it and they are looking at other options to attach. Again, I had mine done, and after almost two months it was still PERFECT and had it not been for the dip I would say I was done. There is no way I would suffer with scoop #1 with its waves and lifting another summer waiting for I don't know what. Knock on plastic....

DSCN1701.JPG

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1704.JPG

DSCN1701.JPG

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1704.JPG

Ms. Amy,

Check your email... I sent you and Bud an email on March 7th of my car with both the hood scoop with a dip and the stripe issue. The email had several SHQ pictures attached, my address is my92notch@yahoo.com. If you'd like I can resend. My car is currently at a shop having the new stripes and scoop installed. If you have time I would like to discuss this issue with you.

Our club had a display at the dealership that sponsors us. They have two SGT convertables in their showroom, both have the stripe issue and one has the dip in the hood scoop. I should have taken some pictures....

FYI Huntington beach, ca ford has 4 of their , 08s with rivet stripe issues

There is a fix and that's the new scoop with the rivets. There are some dealers that can't or won't do it and they are looking at other options to attach. Again, I had mine done, and after almost two months it was still PERFECT and had it not been for the dip I would say I was done. There is no way I would suffer with scoop #1 another summer waiting for I don't know what. Knock on plastic....

I'm confused, and no disrespect intended to anyone here. Who is the official SAI spokesperson regarding this issue? Jeff says there is a fix, but Amy says that they are still looking at options. Who do we listen to? Who is correct? Are we, the customers, being given the old fashioned run around? Can someone please post something officially on SAI letterhead?

I'm confused, and no disrespect intended to anyone here. Who is the official SAI spokesperson regarding this issue? Jeff says there is a fix, but Amy says that they are still looking at options. Who do we listen to? Who is correct? Are we, the customers, being given the old fashioned run around? Can someone please post something officially on SAI letterhead?

I think you answered your own question ilmor.

+1 werd :yup:

Archived