TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can solve this with some Silver Satin touchup paint. I bought some and have used it.

I am looking for a solution not a band aid. These issues should not be happening at all, especially a 40,000+ car that is less than 1 month old. After 5 scoops, 1 set of stripes, 1 hood and 2 SGT's my patients is a little thin. I was hoping that after more than a year of this :censored: we would have a permanent fix. Don't get me wrong I am not taking anything out on you personally I am just a tad :censored: off with this scoop, stripe issue.

Have you tried the "Ask Carroll Shelby" forum? I dont know if he answers the questions personally as I dont have access to the member forums (see my signature). But just wondering If anyone has tried that. Anytime I dont get an answer with a business Im dealing with and dont get any results, desired or otherwise, I go to the next level and usually helps a little if not completely. Just a suggestion.

Have you tried the "Ask Carroll Shelby" forum? I dont know if he answers the questions personally as I dont have access to the member forums (see my signature). But just wondering If anyone has tried that. Anytime I dont get an answer with a business Im dealing with and dont get any results, desired or otherwise, I go to the next level and usually helps a little if not completely. Just a suggestion.

Just checked the Ask Carroll forum. There are 23 questions since Feb. 9th and not 1 response. So...not sure it would be worthwhile :redcard:

Jim

I don't think Carroll Shelby is paying any attention to this forum at all...based on the evidence so far.

yup...mine is doing that also. Got clunk in the rear when going over rough pavement also......these are all known issues wo why do they keep buidling them the same way......

I have all of the above mentioned issues with the scoop and stripe on my 08 SGT but has anybody else had an issue with the silver paint peeling back from the rivets?

DSCF2477a.JPG

That's not paint peeling. It's a rivet that's been inserted with too much force moving it down and into the plastic itself pushing the paint up, out, and around the rivet.

That's not paint peeling. It's a rivet that's been inserted with too much force moving it down and into the plastic itself pushing the paint up, out, and around the rivet.

When I bought the 08 there was not any problem with the paint on the scoop but after driving it for a few weeks is when I noticed the paint around the rivet. The characteristics of this, makes me think that some rivets are like you said to tight. and others are to loose allowing the scoop to flex or move. I would think that if ultra high bond clear 3m tape was used in combination with the correct torque on the rivet there would not be a problem with the paint on the scoop or the stripes being pushed back. But I did not test this theory on my 07 with the last replacement as I thought that enough testing had already been done and that the last fix was the final fix, I was wrong.

At the dealership here in town,there is 2 08 SGT's. One's a coupe,one's a convert. Both of them had the riveted hood scoops,and both of them had multiple places of paint peeling etc around the rivets. Some of the rivets looked compressed tighter than others,and a few rivets were out of alignment as far as being perpendicular to the hood. Sadly,I believe they were installed at SAI,then shipped to dealer. And both scoops had the dipper effect.

Wow, if SAI itself can't even do this right, how can we expect a dealership to do it. I certaininly don't consider this to be the "Final Fix".

Wow, if SAI itself can't even do this right, how can we expect a dealership to do it. I certaininly don't consider this to be the "Final Fix".

as i posted many times, rivets are operator sensitive. should be fasteners with torque specifications for the installer. some sort of small cap screw fastener to look like rivets with controlled torque. it is after all, an aluminum hood with a plastic scoop. not something to practice your rivet skills on.

Bud from SAI told me in Jan08 that final fix was rivets I am glad I held out SAI cannot even get it right with the 08s and they say take to dealer I do not think so change scoop design and material rivets is not answer Bud and SAI this is not right for a new car like mine with less than 300 miles I would not nor can I recommend a Shelby GT to anyone do not get me wrong but I believe most people are tired of problems with the SAI installs we paid good money for these cars FoRD should get evolved if SAI cannot fix I think SAI is just buying time if they are not why no word? If you check out dealers in WI we have 07s and 08s sitting on lots and all have scoop problem would you buy one?

Bud from SAI told me in Jan08 that final fix was rivets I am glad I held out SAI cannot even get it right with the 08s and they say take to dealer I do not think so change scoop design and material rivets is not answer Bud and SAI this is not right for a new car like mine with less than 300 miles I would not nor can I recommend a Shelby GT to anyone do not get me wrong but I believe most people are tired of problems with the SAI installs we paid good money for these cars FoRD should get evolved if SAI cannot fix I think SAI is just buying time if they are not why no word? If you check out dealers in WI we have 07s and 08s sitting on lots and all have scoop problem would you buy one?

Im not an English Major but I believe your missing a few periods. Very hard to read. :headscratch:

I do agree though.

At the dealership here in town,there is 2 08 SGT's. One's a coupe,one's a convert. Both of them had the riveted hood scoops,and both of them had multiple places of paint peeling etc around the rivets. Some of the rivets looked compressed tighter than others,and a few rivets were out of alignment as far as being perpendicular to the hood. Sadly,I believe they were installed at SAI,then shipped to dealer. And both scoops had the dipper effect.

My dealer installed my last scoop (with the dip) and there are some rivets that are not perpendicular to the hood but instead are perpendicular to the surface of the scoop. I think this is better the digging into the scoop and looks fine to me. Also some of the rivets show some of the paint being disturbed and flaking or peeling. This I've fixed with the touch-up paint I got for just those kinds of things. If my dealer installs the new scoop (without the dip) the same way as this one I would be very happy.

Gentlemen

I have looked and cannot find a decent picture of the scoop with the crease or dip. Can someone post? I am taking mine in and want to make the new scoop when arrived does not have this problem.

thanks. Steve

It's my understanding that the "BIG DIPPER" did not appear on the previous scoop fix until it had been on for awhile, so I don't think you will be able to tell if you received tha latest scoop. DOes anyone know if there is some way of identifying which versiojn of the many scoop fixes the dealer has been sent ? It sure would be bad if someone went through all the hassle of having the scoop replaced only to find out that the dealer didn't use the latest revision !

Gentlemen

I have looked and cannot find a decent picture of the scoop with the crease or dip. Can someone post? I am taking mine in and want to make the new scoop when arrived does not have this problem.

thanks. Steve

Steve, the stock of the bad scoops was pulled. The ones in the system now, I have been told, are the corrected batch. Mine that's going on this week has a build date on the back of 3/10/08. We're lucky that Victor Ford sends these to Rainbow! You can't get much better than that for a body shop!

Spoke with Ford off the reconrd today, they said it will be more like May June 08 before scoop is out new one. I think I will be patient and see how repairs go before I go any further caution to those of you getting new scoop.

I think I remember Amy saying they were working on a fix that would be ready by April. That's one week away folks so I'm waiting until then before I go completely ballistic. That will be the determining factor on if I purchase ANY Shelby parts in the future or not.

OK, so April is here. What's the latest scoop from Amy on the scoop fix?

If you care to read the multiple threads on this topic you will see that back in late January Amy posted an acknowledgement on the issue and reported they were working on another version of the scoop and not to expect anything for at least 10 weeks from then which would put us in mid-late April.

Is this April or is it just me? :)

Just got my car back from the dealer this morning. Its my first replacement. It just got so bad I could not live with it anymore. Scope looks great, rivets were done correctly but they creased one of the stripes in the front left corner. So they are going to have to deal with that issue. Nnot sure Shelby will warranty or if they will have to eat it.

Jeff was supposed to get his done on Monday also but I don't believe I have read anything saying how it came out. I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one !

Hey all!

My car is ready but I won't able to pick it up until the AM. I'll update ya as soon as I get it back!

Archived