TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

ur right I did say there would be a fix, and there is, but it is in test and regulational compliance, it doesn't all happen over night and the team is trying to make this the "fix".

This is the information we want.Why keep replacing the scoops if you are really working on a new one?It is to bad someone had to get insulted in order to get an update.To top it off this forum has lost another member.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is what it is going to coast them if they keep on replacing bad scoops with more bad scoops.

yep i just got the call my new complete set of stripes are in, 3rd replacement set set now and my 4th scoop is in and they will fix the corrosion at the hood pin holes. ill be in line for the 5th in 4-8 weeks im sure

Regarding the infamous dip in the hood scoop. There has to be a fix that I can do myself. Has anyone looked under the scoop to see if it can be braced in some way to level out the dip without making the hood warp? Sorry if I missed this being discussed before!

Kevin

07SGT2591

It is to bad someone had to get insulted in order to get an update.To top it off this forum has lost another member.

I agree, it is a shame that Amy was insulted in order to get an answer - but, I believe that SAI is working on this for us and will come up with a solution that we'll all appreciate in the not-to-distant future.

Regarding the infamous dip in the hood scoop. There has to be a fix that I can do myself. Has anyone looked under the scoop to see if it can be braced in some way to level out the dip without making the hood warp? Sorry if I missed this being discussed before!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Kevin, I don't think anyone has mentioned that, but I would think this could be done. Only problem is, you or someone would need to drill out and reinstall all those rivets. If it were me in your situation I would wait until the final fix comes out.

Kevin, I don't think anyone has mentioned that, but I would think this could be done. Only problem is, you or someone would need to drill out and reinstall all those rivets. If it were me in your situation I would wait until the final fix comes out.

X2

Theer was detailed pics of the underside of this scopp back on the old forums. It would be difficult but not impossible. But lets say you epoxy'd in some braces...now when they scoop goes to expand and contract the braces would likely not allow this and you would end up with a bigger mess. Ill keep waiting.

Kevin 07SGT2591

Kevin,

Take a few minutes and read all of my posts on the subject of this hood scoop in the "Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix" thread. The answers to all of your questions will be contained there. In short, the latest version of the SAI supplied hood scoop is braced internally by filling the void with a solid molded piece of black foam rubber material and the scoop itself is secured to the hood using 25 pop rivets. The original scoop that your 07 SGT was delivered with is secured to the hood with 8 large bolts located in the center of the scoop along with two pop rivets on the outside leading edges on both sides. There is a molded in brace about 5 inches from the leading edge of your hood scoop. The area in your scoop behind the leading edge and that brace collapses when the scoop gets hot from radiating engine heat. The surface temperature of your aluminum hood a few minutes after you shut your car down rises dramatically as there is no airflow to carry the heat away. Put your hand on your hood just in front of your existing hood scoop a few minutes after you shut it down after a long drive and you'll see what I'm talking about. The bumper cover material that the stock hood scoop is made out of will never survive long term when installed directly on top of an engine. If that hood scoop was installed on the trunk of your car it would probably last forever. You can brace it until the cows come home but in time it will warp and curl up around the braces. A change to a scoop material that is designed to handle that type of heat is the only long-term solution.

Chip

My new scoop and stripes are on the way after five weeks.Body shop manager said they told him the stripes had to sit for two days before he could put the scoop on.Four day without my car.They are going to fix the shifter rattle & recall at the same time.

My new scoop and stripes are on the way after five weeks.Body shop manager said they told him the stripes had to sit for two days before he could put the scoop on.Four day without my car.They are going to fix the shifter rattle & recall at the same time.

Just my two cents, I would wait until the new, new, new fix is released. You'll have about a 50% chance that it will come out right. Trust me on this.....

Please advise if I missed something...where is the info on the ultimate final fix? Thanx Steve

Amy stated the following on 5/22/08 "...we have 3 scoops in test right now in regard to the multiple complaints. and 2 fastners we are also testing. We are also looking into the striping issue. I will post when I have something to say formally, I want to make sure we actually have something to say.

I know it has been a while, I am just trying to take the right time, this time"

The above is from the following thread, which I started;

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26117

I hope to try to follow up with her on that thread, routinely, but not so often as to be an annoyance.

Good news on scoop I am glad they are looking at way to fasten it down, the Ford dealer in Waukesha, WI will not rivet repair. I wonder why it took so long to advise us. I am trying to get the car out of storage, changed oil lubed shifter etc, maybe wax on Sunday, my second scoop is not that bad I open hood after drivng to let cool down.

PASSED 2 DEALERS OVER WEEKEND TO LOOK AT SHELBY'S. 08 VERT HAD STRIPE AND SCOOP ISSUE. 2ND WAS 07 WHITE WITH SCOOP ISSUE, ALSO SCOOP WAS INSTALLED CROOKED. SPOKE TO SALESMAN AND THEY WERE CLUELESS ABOUT ISSUES ON THESE CARS....NOT SURPRISED.

I am hoping to purchase an SGT soon, and gather from this thread that SAI will make good on any scoop/stripe issues? Eventually? What should I be looking for when I look at cars? Will most dealers deal with Shelby and perform the fix(es)? Would any of you go so far as to not recommend the SGT because of the various quality issues? Would anyone rather have gotten the GT500 instead? Just curious. Thanks.

I am hoping to purchase an SGT soon, and gather from this thread that SAI will make good on any scoop/stripe issues? Eventually? What should I be looking for when I look at cars? Will most dealers deal with Shelby and perform the fix(es)? Would any of you go so far as to not recommend the SGT because of the various quality issues? Would anyone rather have gotten the GT500 instead? Just curious. Thanks.

I suggest that this question be moved to a new topic. This topic is intended to be hood scoop only.

Most on this site feel the warped scoop is a warranty issue. SAI has tried to remedy the issue in the past with other scoop and method of securing but it has not worked for all. SAI still says they are working on a final fix. Talk to the dealers in your area re pricing. Then talk to the dealers on this site to see what they will sell for. They can give you leverage with your dealer or you can hop on a plane (cheap ticket) and drive it home from out of state. I think most here are reasonably satisfied with their SGT overall quality. I think most love the SGT except for a few issues..

Yes, Ilmor, my questions did wander off topic. My primary concern is whether anyone is so frustrated over the hood scoop issue that they wish they had not purchased an SGT, and whether it was a consensus that most people thought that SAI was indeed going to make good on this, eventually, as some here appear to have lost hope.

Yes, Ilmor, my questions did wander off topic. My primary concern is whether anyone is so frustrated over the hood scoop issue that they wish they had not purchased an SGT, and whether it was a consensus that most people thought that SAI was indeed going to make good on this, eventually, as some here appear to have lost hope.

I for one have not lost hope that SAI will resolve the issue, and in no way does this come anywhere close to causing me to wish I did not have the car. This car is fantastic and I plan to own mine for many, many years.

I for one have not lost hope that SAI will resolve the issue, and in no way does this come anywhere close to causing me to wish I did not have the car. This car is fantastic and I plan to own mine for many, many years.

+1

+2

The scoop aside this car is awesome. And eventually the scoop will be resolved. Buy one while you can. You wont be disappointed :)

backafter20

I understand your frustration but SAI has never said they will not "make good" on the scoop fix. The president of Shelby Autos has repeatedly said they are working on a fix and has also repeatedly apologized for the delay but their goal is to release a final fix that takes care of the problem.

Some folks may have lost hope but I'm sure those same people will be having the fix performed by their dealer when its ready.

Hang in there a little longer. Who knows but perhaps folks will be praising the fix down the road.

Steve

My primary concern is whether anyone is so frustrated over the hood scoop issue that they wish they had not purchased an SGT,

well...at first I bit**ed alot about the stripes n scoop.........but no I can't say now that I wished I'd never bought it......it's just 2 good a machine...n as has been said...a fix will happen.....or I'll fix it myself.....as time goes on

The other day I was being followed by a suv n I was thinkin...god..this guy behind me must be wonderin how I could mistreat a Shelby...cause the stripes are that bad....

but I pulled into a 7-11 for coffee n he followed me in n just kept sayin how nice lookin my 'ol johnny boy' was....

he never noticed the 'acne'

:)

The car kicks ass. It is there. Period. Drive one, you will want one.

The scoops are a pain. One person to date has noticed my lumps and gaps. He was a builder of hot rod cars and bikes and a painter. His comment was "dude kinda lumpy and wavy".

IMO all 3 scoops should have been functional and made of another material. Having said that whatever... its not worth my resources right now as I have other more pressing car/bike projects and the thing is still under warranty. I have faith in SAI, they are just busy, very busy.

I will still however restate my offer to make anybody's side scoops functional for free if you want to guiena pig your stang to my capable hands and not get pissed if I screw up -haha :hysterical:

Just picked up my car.The dealer did a great job it look better than when i bought it.The body shop said the scoop was bigger and the old scoop was put on to tight and had been squeezed from side to side.The new one looks more round on top can't tell it is any bigger.You would never know my stripes/scoop has been replaced. :happy feet:

Archived