TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

I've decided to leave my scoop alone until the next generation scoop comes out. I've already had 3 or 4 scoops so i am now waiting for the next generation scoop to come out. Of course the next generation scoop will probably mean my daughter will be the one to see come out after i;m dead and gone. By the way Jeff i'm 20 years older than you. Get some glasses.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rant: I keep saying it again and again, but SAI is leaving too much of the scoop quality in the hands of the dealers. SAI needs to engineer and handle this issue properly from step 1. Once they have come up with the proper and final fix, they need to inform both customers and dealers, in writing, with drawings and details, on how the corrective work is to be performed. They need to make a kit out of it, with templates, etc. They need to provide proper training. They need to keep us informed, now and continually, what is being done to address this issue.

Oh....and the bad news. The dealer's stripe "expert" totally botched the new stripes. The space between the stripes does not match the factory width. It is properly narrow at the top of the hood, then gets noticeably wider towards the bottom. The dealer has taken responsibility and will replace the stripes (again). Another week without my SGT. More parts, labor and rental charges for the dealer. Of course the new rivets will have to be drilled out, probably wrecking HS#3. I see HS#4 in my immediate future.

I had the same problem when mine were replaced. Apparently with the curvature of the hood etc., it's not easy to maintain that spacing and unless you work the stripes and know what you're doing the added space in the middle is the result. I had to have mine done twice for that reason.

I got up this morning, checked the site and...there was no new post here! So...I just had to make one. So.....what's the status of the hood scoop fix?? :lol:

I think we've all kind of tired of this issue. There is nothing new under the sun on the issue with these scoops. I think it would be appropriate for Amy to post some information about these scoops as we have not heard from her in a long time. Hellow Amy,are you out there somewhere. Another day of no feedback. unbelievable!

Give it up guys--no solution from SAI is coming....recall and replace scoops on some 7500 vehiles...do the math$$$. Shelby will never spend the money...I posted here months ago (Jeff went nuts over it) Shelby is DONE with this issue. They will replace and stall those who complaining the most until the warranty period runs out but that is it...Yeah...its a stupid little scoop...but a big enough issue that I left the Shelby GT in the showroom and took home the Bullitt sitting next to it instead (after the Ford Racing Handling Pack and Short throw shifter were installed)...after seriously debating this isssue and watching SAI's reaction....or lack thereof.

Ok this just makes me sick, and I'm not just talking about the HOOD SCOOP I'm talking about SAI in general. Now i have kept an eye on this forum from the begining when members brought this isue up on the other website, and all i can say is that I am discussed by the preformance of SAI. I have contacted SAI for documents of my car a number of times with promises that i would get them sent to my mail. Still to this day i have received nothing. Our hood scoop problem is no different. SAI has "tried" a number of times to get it fixed right with only problems in the end. Now with there latest so called "FIX" it seams they have quit tying to make things better. SAI if you look in other threads you will see that there are members taking this matter in there own hands and replacing there scoop with home made ones that work better that any of your scoops PERIOD, and thats only on there FIRST try. I can't belive that a company with such a good name behind it can make this kid of thing slide? What I'm trying to say is that if one man can make things right for his car, SAI is more than capable of making thigs right for everyone and there car's which was paid top $ for.

I'm sorry for making a big fus about all of this but I have had it with all this mombo jombo. :extinguish:

I posted the below in the "Absolute hood scoop final fix" thinking it was here, so Ill post it here too....Kinda long but maybe some inspiration..... :shrug:

Well maybe your just right. And it would be wrong for myself to assume they are reading these threads thus making them aware. Like I posted earlier I dont have a problem. However reading what I have read on here the day I notice a problem I will be sending a certified letter to my dealer as well as SAI and Ford's HQ making them aware of the problems. There are laws, atleast in VA, that protect the consumer.

Just a tad from the VA laws :

"If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the drivability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value , or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:

1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or

2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lien holder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lien holder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer."

Search your state here: http://www.autolemonlaws.com/lemonlaw.htm

Good Luck Guys and Gals!

Ok this just makes me sick, and I'm not just talking about the HOOD SCOOP I'm talking about SAI in general. Now i have kept an eye on this forum from the begining when members brought this isue up on the other website, and all i can say is that I am discussed by the preformance of SAI. I have contacted SAI for documents of my car a number of times with promises that i would get them sent to my mail. Still to this day i have received nothing. Our hood scoop problem is no different. SAI has "tried" a number of times to get it fixed right with only problems in the end. Now with there latest so called "FIX" it seams they have quit tying to make things better. SAI if you look in other threads you will see that there are members taking this matter in there own hands and replacing there scoop with home made ones that work better that any of your scoops PERIOD, and thats only on their FIRST try. I can't belive that a company with such a good name behind it can let this kind of thing slide? What I'm trying to say is that if one man can make things right for his car, SAI is more than capable of making thigs right for everyone and their car's which customers paid top $ for.

I'm sorry for making a big fus about all of this but I have had it with all this mumbo

jumbo. :extinguish:

Gentlemen,

I appreciatesome some owners frustration but I must strongly disagree with any member's assertion that SAI is not actively working on, and interested in, fixing this hood scoop problem. My experience is that SAI was most responsive when I took my car to my local Ford dealer to have the scoop replaced. Photos were taken and e-mailed to SAI who promptly sent a replacement scoop and instructions to the body shop. Their response was prompt and they did not argue their responsibility in any way. They sent a completely different and reengineered hood scoop that "in theory" should have worked just fine. Shelby Automobiles-Las Vegas spent a lot of money redoing this scoop to be sent out to dealers to make owners of Shelby GT's happy. But, as nature always seems to side with the hidden flaw or the unintended consequence, unforeseen problems were created by this new fix.

The first problem was created by drilling the 25 rivet holes in the hood to attach the new scoop. The hood bracing beneath the top surface of the hood does not make contact with the upper surface of the hood, there is a slight gap between the two. Near the edges of some of the braces the metal is at a 45° angle to the top surface of the hood. When the rivets are put in place and squeezed by the rivet tool to affix them, it is common for that rivet to catch part of the bracing underneath the top surface of the hood squeezing those two pieces of metal together. This causes the top surface of the hood to ripple as it deflects down toward the bracing underneath. In addition, the amount of force necessary to "pop" the rivet in place is often strong enough to damage the plastic hood scoop or the paint applied to that scoop.

Even if these first two problems are successfully avoided, another problem arises with the successfully installed last generation hood scoop. The black foam rubber pillow that fills the space inside the scoop apparently expands and contracts with changes in temperature. When it expands it pushes the top of the scoop up slightly which pulls the outside edges of the scoop, outboard of the rivets, in slightly. When that scoop cools and relaxes the scoop edges outboard of the rivits move back out to their normal position pushing the thin vinyl stripes outward causing them to bunch up around the edges of the scoop.

This unforeseen consequence of a new scoop design has been most frustrating for SAI as well as Shelby GT owners. But it certainly does not indicate a lack of effort on the part of SAI or a lack of concern for their owners. SAI must work within several parameters while developing their next fix. They must take into account what the average Ford dealership body shop can do reliably and consistently, and is willing to do. And the scoop they come up with must be economical to manufacture and easy to produce in large numbers.

The second item of my last sentence is the reason why my new hood scoop would be very difficult for Shelby to build and use as their final fix. Heath's hood scoop, at $500, is not economical to manufacture and it is time consuming to make, one at a time and by hand. It does not expand or contract during even the greatest changes in temperature, and its attachment with rivet nuts solves the problem of damaging the scoop, hood, or paint, with excessive rivet squeeze pressure.

Chip

After 3 weeks my dealer called and said they needed pictures of scoop and stripes.They took pictures and told me it would take 3 days to get approval.Just want it over with.

If you are getting the current "fix" then it is possible that it "won't" be over with. I'm on my third scoop and I'm waiting to see what SAI will come up with before I go for another. I won't be getting the current "fix" with the so-called new mold. In addition to the rivets, I also think the "pillow" is a problem like Chip Beck discussed perviously.

Gentlemen,

I still have the original hood scoop and schedule a fix with my dealer. I called today and cancelled. They advised me they were not instructed to replace the hood but to just drill holes and rivet. Obviously I am now in the wait mode. Anyone else have this happen? Thanx Steve

If you are getting the current "fix" then it is possible that it "won't" be over with. I'm on my third scoop and I'm waiting to see what SAI will come up with before I go for another. I won't be getting the current "fix" with the so-called new mold. In addition to the rivets, I also think the "pillow" is a problem like Chip Beck discussed perviously.

I know it want be right but i can't complain if i don't let them try to fix it first.If the new scoop/stripes do the something ford and SAI will hear from me.I had some issues with a new GMC truck.I let them try to fix it three times they were unable to.When i called for arbitration the dealer bought it back for what i paid for it.This problem is not as serious as my truck was but they have to make it right one way are another under the lemon law.The North Carolina lemon law states they have four attempts to fix the same defect or 20 business days in the shop for same defect.

If the new scoop/stripes do the something ford and SAI will hear from me.I had some issues with a new GMC truck. I let them try to fix it three times they were unable to.When i called for arbitration the dealer bought it back for what i paid for it.This problem is not as serious as my truck was but they have to make it right one way are another under the lemon law.The North Carolina lemon law states they have four attempts to fix the same defect or 20 business days in the shop for same defect.

Gentlemen,

Imagine if you had purchased the first Shelby Mustang, a 1965 GT350. And every time you drove it on a rainy day the holes cut in the rear bodywork for the overrider traction bars allowed water to sling up into the luggage compartment. And the loud bang that the locking rear differential made every time you made a sharp turn low speeds was driving you nuts. So you got rid of the damn thing and got a nice 1965 Thunderbird for the same amount of money. You would have been a genius right? Err, well maybe not. Aside from this hood scoop that is going to get fixed, these are not only outstanding cars, they have genuine provenance and 40 years of history behind them. The day is not far off when cars like these will be a thing of the past. Yeah we'll have whizbang fuel injected twin turbo V-6's that perform great in lightweight cars, but they won't be V-8 rear wheel drive Shelby Mustangs. A rockhard Ford Racing Suspension, monstrous stabilizer bars that make the Shelby GT corner like a go kart, and ride height that makes every parking block a potentially expensive obstacle. As thrilling as a teenage table dancer and about as practical, god I love this thing!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I like driving it more than I like driving my 427/SC Cobra. It handles better, it's got air-conditioning, and I don't feel like it's constantly trying to kill me.

Shelby is a quality organization and they will fix your hood scoop eventually. If you don't want to wait you can buy one from Heath. It's a genuine Shelby, drive it and enjoy it. If you sell it, or try to lemon law your way out of it, you'll probably regret it. JMO

Chip

Shelby is a quality organization and they will fix your hood scoop eventually. If you don't want to wait you can buy one from Heath. It's a genuine Shelby, drive it and enjoy it. If you sell it, or try to lemon law your way out of it, you'll probably regret it. JMO

Chip

I do not plan on selling my car or trying to get out of it.What is the point in SAI replacing scoops/stripes knowing they are not going to fix the problem.SAI should at least tell the dealers their is a problem and they are working on it.The last i read Amy said their was a problem with the mold and it was fixed.She quite replying after that.Does any one know for sure SAI is working on a new scoop or the stripe problem?

The materials used on the stock Shelby GT hood scoop have been used with great success on many cars for a long time. Why are they failing in this application?

Gentlemen,

After close inspection it appears that the stock Shelby GT hood scoop is made out of a material identical to or nearly identical to the bumper covers of the Ford Mustang. Flexible and durable, this proven material lasts for years on the cars bumpers. The black foam rubber pillow that fills the scoop appears to be similar to the material underneath many flexible car bumpers. Again, it's proven good stuff that lasts for years in that application. So why won't it last on the hoods of our cars? Ask yourself the same question about the hood stripes which are easily damaged by the very slight expansion and contraction of the hood scoop.

The answer is temperature. Take your Shelby GT out for a nice long drive and then park it in your garage. Five minutes later put your hand on the front bumper, put your hand on the rear bumper, and then put your hand on the top of the hood scoop. Then put your hand on the bare hood metal around the hood scoop. The Mustang hood is almost too hot to touch when the car has been sitting for several minutes after shutting it off.

The stock Shelby GT hood scoop is made out of quality automotive grade materials with a proven track record. But this material was not designed to be used directly above an automobile engine where it is subjected to heat well beyond the design limits of this material. It works great as a bumper cover where it is not subject to extreme heat. It does not work great as an engine cover, where it is grilled with rising engine heat every time the car is shut down.

I am amazed at the amount of engine heat that billows up out of my now open hood scoop when my car is shut down. The top of my scoop is very hot to the touch but it cools down pretty quickly as the heat can flow out of the scoop opening. Even if my scoop was not open, the vinyl-ester resin material it is made out of is specifically designed to handle extreme heat and extreme cold.

These same high temperatures make the vinal stripes on the hoods of our cars softer and more easily damaged. The procedure to remove a vinyl stripe on an automobile is to heat it up with a hair dryer so the stripe will become soft and the glue adhering that stripe to the hood will soften as well. Once heated up like this, the stripe can be easily peeled off. This is the exact situation we have when you shut your car off. The hood of your car is red hot which softens both the stripes and the glue adhering them to your hood. Here we have the perfect storm to ruin the stripes on the hood of your car. As the plastic scoop heats up it expands, and as the stripes heat up they get softer and the glue holding them in place softens as well. The slight expansion of the hood scoop pushes on the heat softened stripes causing them to bunch up at the edges of the scoop.

In my opinion, if a hood scoop is going to be affixed to the surface of these aluminum hoods with vinal stripes sandwiched in between the two, the material that the hood scoop is made out of has got to be extremely resistant to expansion and contraction even when it is heated to a great degree by rising engine heat or when it's frozen to well below zero when sitting outside in winter.

That's a pretty tall order. An aluminum scoop or a vinyl-ester resin fiberglas scoop can handle these temperature extremes without changing shape or expanding and contracting. I am sure there are other materials that can as well though I don't know what those would be. But I am reasonably certain that the currently used bumper cover material will never be a long-term solution. Again, I am not an engineer but I have been working for two decades with composite materials in extreme aviation environments.

I am not thin skinned, so please feel free to point out the errors in my reasoning and any points I have made that you believe to be incorrect. All the best.

Chip

Chip, you said it much more eloquently than me, but if you'll look through the thread you'll see that I had this same conclusion months ago. I also said months ago that Shelby needs to replace our scoops with aluminum scoops. You've come up with one, just you and your friend...something all of Shelby Autos has not been able to do.

Chip, you said it much more eloquently than me, but if you'll look through the thread you'll see that I had this same conclusion months ago. I also said months ago that Shelby needs to replace our scoops with aluminum scoops. You've come up with one, just you and your friend...something all of Shelby Autos has not been able to do.

That must mean SAI does not care or they are not smart enough to figure it out.

Archived