TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

The hoodscoop issue has been a pain in the butt,esp for my wife. As others have mentioned,there's the time that a person has to take it to a dealer etc,to have it fixed. Also,if a dealer is a retardship,they will cause added probs(my wifes car a perfect example).

It's been very frustrating,trying to get a perm resolution regarding the hoodscoop. If I had to wager,SAI's priorities are tied up into other things,as..... people WANTING to purchase add-on products I.E. lower lights and grille etc,CAN'T ?!? My opinion,that's foolish on SAI's part,and they should be aware that that's potential money going out the door,and very possibly into someone else's door.

After what the wife experienced at the Ford bodyshop in Venice FL,I WILL NEVER purchase a Ford vehicle. What the wife does is her thing,but I'm absolutely headstrong in my convictions regarding Ford,and their lack of care for the customer/consumer.

I have to wonder,is Mr. Shelby aware of this hood-scoop issue,and if so,what's his opinion? After all,it's his name attached to it.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The hoodscoop issue has been a pain in the butt,esp for my wife. As others have mentioned,there's the time that a person has to take it to a dealer etc,to have it fixed. Also,if a dealer is a retardship,they will cause added probs(my wifes car a perfect example).

It's been very frustrating,trying to get a perm resolution regarding the hoodscoop. If I had to wager,SAI's priorities are tied up into other things,as..... people WANTING to purchase add-on products I.E. lower lights and grille etc,CAN'T ?!? My opinion,that's foolish on SAI's part,and they should be aware that that's potential money going out the door,and very possibly into someone else's door.

After what the wife experienced at the Ford bodyshop in Venice FL,I WILL NEVER purchase a Ford vehicle. What the wife does is her thing,but I'm absolutely headstrong in my convictions regarding Ford,and their lack of care for the customer/consumer.

I have to wonder,is Mr. Shelby aware of this hood-scoop issue,and if so,what's his opinion? After all,it's his name attached to it.

The money flow only one way at SAI, and thats "IN"! Any expectations of a "fix" should be tempered; there's no incentive for them to do anything .... and they won't! Right now there are more customers than complainers so they have no incentive to fix anything that costs them money. The more they drag the issue the more people just drop by the wayside and give up - its just a waiting game to them.

I think Amy offered us a 25% discount off the unpainted/uninstalled hood.

Why does the customer have to pay for anything that was caused through poor engineering and design by CSA or their preferred vendors? CSA is the bottom-line responsible party to make right the situation that exists with the scoop. What amazes me is how you people just continuously lay down to this company on every single problem that they are clearly and lawfully responsible for. Now you even consider Amy Boylan's token offer to knock-off 25% from the Hertz hood price and it be raw, unpainted and uninstalled????? This is absolutely and totally ludicrous and insane!! What the hell is it finally going to take before you people start getting all the Shelby "love drugs" your all on out of your "brains" and start acting like consumers????

Its not a matter of whether or not CS is aware of the problem or not or what his opinion is. His whole role and mission in the company is to just provide his name for rubber-stamping purposes.

What does matter is that Amy Boylan IS AWARE OF IT and as the legal lead agent of SA she HAS NOT provided a WORKING AND EXPEDIENT SOLUTION to the problem...and though she has now offered what does appear to be a good viable way to finally solve the issue once and for all (Hertz hood), she is turning around and offerring it in a way to the customers that is at the customer's expense (25% off or at 75% of the customer's own money). She is trying to pull off the greatest trick in the books and that is for the customer to pay for the mistake made by the maker, Shelby Automobiles. And if you folks agree to this then you people deserve everything that happens to you in your dealings with SA.

The money flow only one way at SAI, and thats "IN"! Any expectations of a "fix" should be tempered; there's no incentive for them to do anything .... and they won't! Right now there are more customers than complainers so they have no incentive to fix anything that costs them money. The more they drag the issue the more people just drop by the wayside and give up - its just a waiting game to them.

I still think that somewhere recently CS and SA have made a conscious decision to just produce, produce and produce and sue , sue, sue to rake in as much money as possible before the bottom falls out of the 2nd muscle-car era. They are fully aware of the downward turn the auto industry is taking as a result of the "green" movements starting to gain ground with the younger generations and the oil politics that is driving fuel prices through the ceiling. CS and SA doen't seem to be interested any longer in trying to correct anything they have done wrong as they won't have to once they close up shop as the signs of the times take over and throw the auto-industry into another 30-year muscle-car hiatus just as it happened in the 70's. So the waiting game you suggest is certainly a probable thing that is truly happening since it will play directly into getting SA to the eventual closing point required so that there no longer is any liability.

I still think that somewhere recently CS and SA have made a conscious decision to just produce, produce and produce and sue , sue, sue to rake in as much money as possible before the bottom falls out of the 2nd muscle-car era. They are fully aware of the downward turn the auto industry is taking as a result of the "green" movements starting to gain ground with the younger generations and the oil politics that is driving fuel prices through the ceiling. CS and SA doen't seem to be interested any longer in trying to correct anything they have done wrong as they won't have to once they close up shop as the signs of the times take over and throw the auto-industry into another 30-year muscle-car hiatus just as it happened in the 70's. So the waiting game you suggest is certainly a probable thing that is truly happening since it will play directly into getting SA to the eventual closing point required so that there no longer is any liability.

+1

WELL SHELBY KINDA GUY,I;M NOT THE LAYING DOWN TYPE OF GUY.I'VE HAD 2 SCOOPS INSTALLED BESIDES THE ORIGINAL AND I'M WAITING FOR THE THIRD. THE PROBLEM THAT WE ARE ALL HAVING WITH SHELBY IS THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF US GUYS BOUGHT THESE CARS TO KEEP A LONG TIME AND NOT TRADE IN EVERY THREE YEARS.SHELBY DOES NOT NEED REPEAT CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF THE LONG OWNERSHIP MOST PEOPLE HAVE WITH THESE CARS.HOW MANY WILL BUY ANOTHER SHELBY.NOT MANY.BESIDES ,WHEN CARROLL SHELBY IS GONE I DOUBT THERE WILL BE GREAT INTEREST IN SHELBY;S AND I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF SHELBY AUTO GOES OUT OF BUSINESS.THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT THOSE THAT HAVE SHELBY;S WANT SEE A GREAT INCREASE IN THERE VALUE.IF THIS WAS A FORD ISSUE THEN THIS WOULD BE A ISSUE NO MORE.FORD LIKE ALL OTHER MANUFACTURES NEED REPEAT BUSINESS TO SURVIVE AND OBVIOUSLY SHELBY DOESN'T.WE NEED EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM TO TURN UP THE HEAT AND TAKE THERE CAR TO THE DEALER AND GET THERE SCOOPS REPLACED IF THERE IS A PROBLEM.JEFF ,MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS SHOULD NOT BE A GUINEAU PIG FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO SET BACK AND WAIT FOR A FINAL FIX.THE ONLY REASON AMY HAS ACKNOWLEGED THERE IS A PROBLEM IS BECAUSE IT IS FINALLY HITTING THERE POCKET BOOK.IF EVERYONE ELSE WOULD GET ON THE BAND WAGON THEN MAYBE WE CAN GET AN ACCEPTABLE FIX TO THIS PROBLEM LIKE A NEW CS-6 AND NOT PAY ANYTHING.I'M NOT PAYING A DIME FOR ANOTHER HOOD AS THIS IS 100 PERCENT THERE PROBLEM THOUGH THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE THIS OUR PROBLEM.SIGNED,FED-UP BUT NOT GIVING UP.

Not to ruffle any feathers here but for the sake of conversation what about this as an alternative way of looking at things to come...

I think that the scrambling efforts made by Shelby to restructure and organize is efforts to actually ENSURE the long term future of Shelby and the Legacy of Carroll himself! There have been MANY icons like Harley-Davidson whose products, brand name, and legacy have long out lived the lives of the men who started it all. In my mind Shelby's brand is easily just as "american" to performance & especially american muscle as a Harley. In the years past Shelby's brand has been splintered and seen mostly as a thing of the past in the minds of those who remember it when. Fast forward to 2005 and introduction of newer Shelby cars and suddenly it's back in the spot light.

I can't speak for Carroll or for for anyone else for that matter, but it's my personal opinion that one of Amy's MANY expectations from Carroll is to help reign in the Brand and to bring a new level on control back into place so that a legacy can indeed be insured. Amy would be a natural choice given her background in running companies and also controlling / turning around brands. (Her work at Mattel with Hot Wheels comes to mind). I see evidence of this in EVERYTHING SAI is doing. Fan club, toys, apparel, events, and of course the cars themselves.

What about the "Green" topic... Well certainly this puts pressure on the second gen muscle car era, but I seriously doubt that it will kill it. I think MANY MANY lessons were learned from the 70's and how that launched a complete down trend in American car development. I agree that it puts pressure on but I think technology and a solid understanding of the past will allow many more years for the Mustang. Ford IS NOT going to kill one of the brightest stars in it's product line up and they will not let it die quietly. We may see changes in how it's accomplished but I seriously doubt Ford will terminate a powerhouse brand with such a wide spread support base. My son starts driving in 3 years, guess what he wants to drive... A Shelby! Well it will have to be a Mustang first but you get the picture! There are hundreds of thousands of kids out there right now who recognize Mustangs and hope to drive one someday. Ford knows this and Ford knows there is a future for Mustang.

Where there are Mustangs in this day and age there are Shelby's. If my theory is indeed true in regards to the Harley-Davidson example, and if Amy is successful in fulling the "Future Legacy" of Shelby brand than I think it's safe to say we will always have something new to look forward to for a time to come! This is just my opinion and only time can and will tell. But I strongly suspect that this is the play book that Shelby is using!

tko that is all great and I agree with most of it but it still doesn't help keep my scoop flat against my hood. And by not doing so that can deter them from acheiving their goal of making SAI go for years to come.

Yeah, I sorta got off the posted topic. I didn't mean to high jack the thread -sorry. the recent posts raised other topics and other opinions concerning Shelby, Going Green and so fourth. I was just excited to join in the discussion and to offer an alternative point of view on those topics. As for the scoop... I don't really have a suggestion. All I know is that mine is the original scoop and yes mine is also needing some fixing. It used to sit flat but it seems to be less flat with each month that passes.

I see evidence of this in EVERYTHING SAI is doing. Fan club, toys, apparel, events, and of course the cars themselves.

I think you make the point - doing everything to make money, but little to fix a problem! Yes, I'm sure engineering a fan club, toys, apparel is very important, but they're $$-making machines and not "lagacy" makers. Just about everything else came from someone else (Ford Racing) so about the only SAI-engineered part is the scoop; i.e. they can recover warranty costs for just about everything but the scoop, and what won't they fix????

I'm sorry to the loyalists, but the whole mode of operation seems driven by extracting the maximum amount of dollars and to heck with customer service.

One thing's for sure - we will know the answer to whether or not SAI cares about SGT owners and the hood scoop issue ... someday. Hopefully its not an answer that ends up dragging Shelby's name in the mud and leaving behind thousands of dissatisfied owners. That won't help Shelby, or Ford for that matter. I can guarantee you if this isn't resolved my next car will be a Camaro.

I'm sorry to the loyalists, but the whole mode of operation seems driven by extracting the maximum amount of dollars and to heck with customer service.

Speaking of Harley.... :hysterical: ever try to get a part for a shovelhead or how about for a 4sp tranny, heck they only made em for what 30 something years :hysterical:

with shelby not making large numbers of cars they don't need any of us to be repeat customers.if these were camaros or challengers then i think it would be a different story as they are planning on many times more cars than shelby;s.if we didn;t have all this nostalgia about shelby's then we could get something done about these scoops.i showed my car at a car-show sunday and had to keep my hood up so people wouldn't see the big dipper and start asking questions.how can something that was to be a great joy be so disappointing.the cameros and challengers are looking better every day.i bet you want have near the complaints with these cars as these manufacturers can afford it just as ford wouldn't tolerate their mustangs having their scoop problems like shelby.maybe carroll needs to take a closer look at whats going on with these scoops.

with shelby not making large numbers of cars they don't need any of us to be repeat customers...

That may be true, however Ford needs repeat customers. People who become dissatisfied with what Shelby does or doesn't do just may not buy Ford products again. Also, I don't see SAI going away; Ford needs a performance brand and the Shelby name does that for them. Ford needs this in the same way that AMG and M have done it for Mercedes and BMW, for example. Yes, they have SVT but I think Shelby is a stronger.

I saw where Blue Oval Industries offers a Shaker Ram Air hood scoop for 725.00. Would that be an alternative? Far less than providing a new CS6 hood and having it prepped and painted.

We have a dilemna. We all want the hood scoop fixed but until there are large numbers protesting to dealers it will not happen. But we don't want our hoods butchered with 3-4 or more different scoops because it is obvious the final solution is not in hand. It is Catch-22. SAI won't do anything until there are large numbers of owners making demands. Most will not make the demand until the final solution is completed. In the meantime the clock is ticking and warranties will eventually run out.

I would love to know who said that large numbers of people arent already complaining to dealers? Is it because we have nothing rfixed it is assumed people arent b*tching in large #'s? From websites I have visited in the last year alot of people are complaining to each other and dealers. I personally dont want the CS6, Shaker, or any other kind of hood. I love the current hood, minus the lifting. The essence of the original cars is captured in the design. It just needs to be fixed. I dont want any freebies, trinkets, money back, or any thing else. I am not looking to make out on this at all. I just want what is right :)

I saw where Blue Oval Industries offers a Shaker Ram Air hood scoop for 725.00. Would that be an alternative? Far less than providing a new CS6 hood and having it prepped and painted.

We have a dilemna. We all want the hood scoop fixed but until there are large numbers protesting to dealers it will not happen. But we don't want our hoods butchered with 3-4 or more different scoops because it is obvious the final solution is not in hand. It is Catch-22. SAI won't do anything until there are large numbers of owners making demands. Most will not make the demand until the final solution is completed. In the meantime the clock is ticking and warranties will eventually run out.

the warranty ticking away is big issue for me also, is there any process at hand that can force the warranty with SAI issues to be extended? ive had my car 13 months now and it is still not correct, on my 2nd replacement scoop, just ordered my 3rd set of replacement stripes due to continued staining. also people, keep an eye out on the hood pin holes for the corrosion happening under the paint it WILL eventually starts spidering out from the hole and eventually will show its self to you beyond the plates, i suggest everyone pop the plates and check, get it also taken care of. stopped by my dealer after 4 weeks of nothing from them, he said still waiting and showed me 6 open tickets, mine and 5 for cars on his lot.

Recieved no answer from email or from letter sent through US postal, I will send next letter via Fedex ao Amy and Carroll. I do not understand the slience I learned after 25 years in Army you cannot ignore a BIG problem it will not go away. SAI needs to let us know What up? April is gone still slient, I agree with you all if they do nothing I will never buy another Ford or Shelby again, I have a 67, and 69 Shelby with lots of problems that was the 60s this is now. When I bought the car promises were made by SAI! There are alot of unsold cars on lot (Shelby GTs) and with new GM and Dodge products Ford will lose sales, Why is Ford not involved? I again went to dealer WILL NOT do rivet repair does not want to be reponsible, Called two other dealers, they have 08s waiting to be fixed and since I did not buy my car from them not interested in fixing what a stituation this car is not fun anymore SAI FIX YOUR MISTAKE!!!!!

Too difficult for me to get to a dealer, especially if there's no final fix yet. It doesn't make any sense to waste valuable time when there's no fix and the dealer isn't even aware of the issue, or doesn't agree with doing the repairs. Only SAI can make this right. Amy, are you listening to us????

only way to get scoop fixed is for everyone to continue to bombard shelby with there problems with scoops. i'm sure shelby would love for all of us to go away.after all they got there money.it should not be a few carrying the load for everyone else.if everyone waits for the final fix then shelby would never know they have a problem.we should all be there worst nightmare about these scoops.after all if ford was the one warranting these then we would'nt let them off the hook.business is business no matter who you are dealing with.like Lou Holtz said when he was with NotraDame. DO RIGHT

Too difficult for me to get to a dealer, especially if there's no final fix yet. It doesn't make any sense to waste valuable time when there's no fix and the dealer isn't even aware of the issue, or doesn't agree with doing the repairs. Only SAI can make this right. Amy, are you listening to us????

same here, the dealership only sells a few of this type of vehicle, clueless on sai warranty or rivet work....these guys are going to have to be walked thru any repair with something other than rivets and good instructions, not holding my breath.

the service dept did mention that rousch was not too bad on their warranty, never required any pictures and as many hoops (now he tells me) at least with the repairs he was familiar with

sample of one opinion anyway

talked to the guy that does the warranty for shelbys on the 7th.vented my complaints about the scoops.he actually agreeded with me that shelby has a big problem with the scoops.he said that the latest scoops out now are not the final fix.he said that ford had talked to shelby about the problem and told them they need to come up with something acceptable.he said he talked to amy last week in vegas and she said they are working on a new scoop for our cars.the latest scoops out now are not the final version.no time line was given for new scoop.i told him i was going to just wait for latest version and he told me to go ahead and get scoop replaced now as it will look better than what i have now and it might not give me any problem.i put car in shop on the 7th and it should be out in a couple of days.hope stripes are not damaged but if they are then shelby says they will warranty them.the guy i talked to works for shelby and ford,50-50.his name is mitchell and his phone # is 800-367-3788 and he is the supervisor for warranty's.he said that shelby has gotten quite a few cars back for scoops so it seems this forum is working.mitchell says he looks at this forum about twice a week.if no one complained then shelby wouldn't be working on these scoops.i know a lot of guys have questions so give mitchell a call.i suggested that he bud or amy get on the forum and keep us informed and maybe this would help knowing that we aren't forgotten.hope this info is helpful.

I've worked with Mitchell before, when I first got my SGT. He was extremely helpful in helping me to resolve an issue which ultimately resulted in a clutch replacement under warranty. Knowing that a scoop fix is in the works, and since I have 2 years of warranty remaining, my plan is to continue to wait and get the final.

The reason why Rousch does not require pictures is that they sell their stuff to anyone at anytime. It's my understanding that Ford/SAI require pictures, not only to prove an issue but to prove an issue on a real SGT and to prevent cloning. You are not required to provide pictures for anything that is available on the open market. For example my hood pins, they just sent new ones on the dealer's word, scoop and stripes, required a picture.

same here, the dealership only sells a few of this type of vehicle, clueless on sai warranty or rivet work....these guys are going to have to be walked thru any repair with something other than rivets and good instructions, not holding my breath.

the service dept did mention that rousch was not too bad on their warranty, never required any pictures and as many hoops (now he tells me) at least with the repairs he was familiar with

sample of one opinion anyway

i told him i was going to just wait for latest version and he told me to go ahead and get scoop replaced now as it will look better than what i have now and it might not give me any problem....he said that shelby has gotten quite a few cars back for scoops so it seems this forum is working.mitchell says he looks at this forum about twice a week.if no one complained then shelby wouldn't be working on these scoops.

Humm...where have I heard this before! :headscratch::banghead:

Ok - so I'm set now to get the CS6 hood installed the end of next week. Got the Hood on order and the appointment is set.

My car sits in the garage at home 3 weeks out of the month. I am only home for 1 week each month. I live in Minnesota, so that narrows down my enjoyment time to only a few months during the year. I don't want to be taking my car in to the dealer for this hood scoop mess - 2, 3 or 4 different times. I just don't have the time to do that. I want to be able to come home on my week off, for the 6-7 good months of driving that I get in Minnesota and actually enjoy my car rather than spend all that time messing around with the scoop and watching my car sit at the dealership. <_<

SO - If/When there is a final fix - will I be able to bring them my hood and have them 'fix' it???? I mean - I'll take the CS6 hood off, remount my original hood and bring it to the dealer that way if necessary. I just want to know that I can still get this resolved at some point even though I've elected to pay the $$$ and basically take SAI off the hook on my end. I want the scoop to be fixed, I may switch hoods depending on the mood I'm in that year. ERrrrr something. :blink:

Trevor

Archived