TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ilmor, I can't seem to find the source for this quote. I must be missing something.

blueshawk, see post #98. It says 12:02am now, on my computer anyway. I didn't think to give the post # originally; sorry about that.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...27468&st=80

For those who missed my earlier post, she stated:

"On the hood scoop, I can not post anything more then i already posted as i dont have the answer yet."

I was just looking at the scoop poll, and egads!!

If these numbers reflect the "real world", (and yes, that might be a stretch!), then the worst case scenario would be some 5,000 (or more) bad scoops! (based on a WAG of 8,000 total 07 and 08 SGTs built).

We need hard numbers, so if you see anyone with an SGT, tell them to join this forum and vote!

SEF

AKA:

You know i would hate for this important issue to sink to page 2 while we all await any news and I have to keep staring at my crappy scoop with pushed up stripes as well as daily watching everything under the sun continue to stain the stripes, getting fed up, i went to the body shop that painted my side mirrors and asked him what it would cost to remove the stripes and paint them on and assuming i can get a new scoop have it rivet back on, with paint clear coat . total $800......now that to me seemed very fair!! any comments on doing this pro or con, id love to know.

another note has anyone taken this issue into their owns hands yet or is everyone like me just sitting back while nothings happens or is directly communicated to owners! what the heck are these dealers doing with the bad 08's on the lots, who would buy them like that. i'd probably have the body shop fix that corrosion under the paint at the hood pin holes also, has been a month and still no reply from warranty dept via my dealer or even call from them. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS WHOLE SHELBY GT PURCHASE.

.....has anyone taken this issue into their owns hands yet or is everyone like me just sitting back while nothings happens.....

VEGASTY,

In the forum section under Shelby GT Mods is a thread entitled "Absolute hood scoop final fix". Several photos are included along with details of a replacement hood scoop. In a few days we will list the price and process for anybody that would like to replace their hood scoop with one that will never fail. The replacement scoop is visually indistinguishable from the original but is made with vinyl ester resin fiberglass. It is attached with rivet nuts, is removable, and can be made functional if the owner so desires.

Chip

Now my hood scoop is starting to lift badly! It was always so-so perfect but now it is exteremely noticeable and it should NOT look like this and I presume it will only get worse. Wow, I never thought I'd chime in on this issue but here I am! I need a new scoop, but I want the real corrected scoop. AND I am not going to play Russian Roulette with hood scoops, not with my pride and joy.

Swede

VEGASTY,

In the forum section under Shelby GT Mods is a thread entitled "Absolute hood scoop final fix". Several photos are included along with details of a replacement hood scoop. In a few days we will list the price and process for anybody that would like to replace their hood scoop with one that will never fail. The replacement scoop is visually indistinguishable from the original but is made with vinyl ester resin fiberglass. It is attached with rivet nuts, is removable, and can be made functional if the owner so desires.

Chip

I read the other thread . I knew it was just a matter of time until some one with the skill , that likes the challange of correcting poor design, an shabby, flawed , amaturish engineering would show us how to correct this problem. It irritates me that SAI still has not issued a letter to the owners. I hate to see some elses good effort and skilled work get SAI off the hook. I would ask the question of how will this effect the SAI / Ford Warranties................But since it seems they are worthless I won't waste the you time . Good Job keep it up......................ZDS

another note has anyone taken this issue into their owns hands yet or is everyone like me just sitting back while nothings happens

Well, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer about the stripes and a CS6/8 hood. They said.......and I quote from their e-mail:

I am working on a claim now through Shelby on another customer’s mustang…if and when I get this done , I will do my best to get your vehicle done as well….

which, to me, sounds kind of like 'whenever we get around to it, we're not in a hurry'........feels like a diss...but its early in the morning and I havent had a beer yet....

so I'm kinda sitting back at the moment......

:)

You know i would hate for this important issue to sink to page 2 while we all await any news and I have to keep staring at my crappy scoop with pushed up stripes as well as daily watching everything under the sun continue to stain the stripes, getting fed up, i went to the body shop that painted my side mirrors and asked him what it would cost to remove the stripes and paint them on and assuming i can get a new scoop have it rivet back on, with paint clear coat . total $800......now that to me seemed very fair!! any comments on doing this pro or con, id love to know.

another note has anyone taken this issue into their owns hands yet or is everyone like me just sitting back while nothings happens or is directly communicated to owners! what the heck are these dealers doing with the bad 08's on the lots, who would buy them like that. i'd probably have the body shop fix that corrosion under the paint at the hood pin holes also, has been a month and still no reply from warranty dept via my dealer or even call from them. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS WHOLE SHELBY GT PURCHASE, ESPECIALLY PAYING MSRP

$800 for painted stripes sounds real good...cheap in fact. Only drawback would be chipping the paint. But look at the drawbacks with vinyl. For $800 mine would be in the shop being done right now. You can always have the 3M clear bra installed to protect the paint too.

I paid MSRP and while not happy at the itme I could care less anymore. It is supply and demand. We all know that. I could have waited and saved probably $6k and get one now but I wanted it when I wanted it and thats my decision. But this scoop thing is a joke. IMO it is not getting the attention it deserves. I fell lke it is just going on and on and the hope is that we will all just get over it and move on. And by not formally addressing it this is a hornets nest that will explode at some point.

$800 for painted stripes sounds real good...cheap in fact. Only drawback would be chipping the paint. But look at the drawbacks with vinyl. For $800 mine would be in the shop being done right now. You can always have the 3M clear bra installed to protect the paint too.

I paid MSRP and while not happy at the itme I could care less anymore. It is supply and demand. We all know that. I could have waited and saved probably $6k and get one now but I wanted it when I wanted it and thats my decision. But this scoop thing is a joke. IMO it is not getting the attention it deserves. I fell lke it is just going on and on and the hope is that we will all just get over it and move on. And by not formally addressing it this is a hornets nest that will explode at some point.

I want SAI to test the "rivnuts" idea instead of rivets. I wanted to do that a year ago but instead waited for the "official" fix. rivnuts and screws with the new scoop will probably be a reasonable fix and won't cost SAI any more on the current fix than a little hardware.

Webba - +1 !! As previously stated in this post, I now have a scoop issue. I am not at the disgusted point but it has to be taken care of. It is now is lifting and I live in the Pacific Northwest where the weather is extremely mild other than precipitation, so it is NOT just the extreme warm weather or extreme cold weather cars that are affected, it is just poo or untested material choices that SAI made. Love the car but I will not go away now and it needs replaced with a correct part that will last. This is NOT the 60's where you can brush the customer off or the laws were not followed up, this is 2008 and you can't get away with that in this day and age. Love my SGT but it is warranty time on this hood scoop.

Webba - +1 !! As previously stated in this post, I now have a scoop issue. I am not at the disgusted point but it has to be taken care of. It is now is lifting and I live in the Pacific Northwest where the weather is extremely mild other than precipitation, so it is NOT just the extreme warm weather or extreme cold weather cars that are affected, it is just poo or untested material choices that SAI made. Love the car but I will not go away now and it needs replaced with a correct part that will last. This is NOT the 60's where you can brush the customer off or the laws were not followed up, this is 2008 and you can't get away with that in this day and age. Love my SGT but it is warranty time on this hood scoop.

yup, this was mentioned in the old (pre shelby) forum for us guys that got one of these cars early on. i am in michigan and my scoop got goofy fairly quickly last spring/summer. maybe temperature makes the issue happen quicker if it some sort of curing issue with the material. it was mentioned that the aftermarket parts dont get the oem style testing that they should. dont know if they get worse with time or just get to a certain point and then take a set? mine doesnt look a whole lot worse than last summer. just doesnt look very good.

mine is still original, i know how most aftermarket warranty claims go, finger pointing by the dealer at the aftermarket company, the aftermarket company towards the dealer. the oem just washes their hands of it. used to hapen on upfit custom vans all the time. every switch, label or part added by the van upfitter had to go thru the upfitter warranty process (similar to SAI). always a hassle.

knowing this, I still bought the car, hoping for better

Chip, I have made these points a zillion times now about the scoop expansion and contraction, but SAI never responds directly to it...falling on deaf ears. Anyway, back into my hole.... :worm:

Chip, correct me if I am wrong, but doest the VE resin get even stronger the colder it gets? A good thing.

Ok - The more and more I read about this post and realize that my '08 SGT hood scoop is likely only going to get worse - the more this upsets me. I've only got 500 miles on my SGT. I've been throwing around the CS6 hood - have it quoted from Quantum Performance and will be looking to have them paint the stripes and bury them in the clear coat and then install the 3M clear bra over it all before I drive home from Dallas to Minnesota.

I was originally on the fence about dusting off the wallet for the $1800+ on the CS6 hood and painted stripes, but I’d rather go that route than go thru disappointment after disappointment with the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th trip to the dealer for the scoop fix.

I’m looking into getting the CS6 hood at some point anyway – I have the $$$ and I have the time off work for them to get it done at the Quantum Performance Open House on 5/31 so that’s what I’m going to do.

I am going to ask about getting a discount on the CS6 hood. Just for the record, after this, my original hood with the original scoop is going up in the rafters of my garage in the box Quantum Performance ships it back to me in. Who knows, maybe it will be more valuable to someone with the messed up scoop – it’s the original one that came from SAI…………

Again – anyone have change for a $5. I think I’ve thrown about $1.50 in on this topic.

Trevor

P.S.

Hope to see some of ya at the Quantum Open house!! PM me if we might be able to meet up on the highway on the way down there!

I want SAI to test the "rivnuts" idea instead of rivets. I wanted to do that a year ago but instead waited for the "official" fix. rivnuts and screws with the new scoop will probably be a reasonable fix and won't cost SAI any more on the current fix than a little hardware.

You and my husband both thought that would be the best route........and here we are a year later ............SIGH

I can barely stand to come and read about it anymore.

You and my husband both thought that would be the best route........and here we are a year later ............SIGH

I can barely stand to come and read about it anymore.

Come'on now, sdear - the hood scoop issue is just about the best comedy entertainment anyone could have! :hysterical:

Just a thought...we were promised a response in April. In 4 more days it will be May.

Returning to lurk mode.... :worm:

Well, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer about the stripes and a CS6/8 hood. They said.......and I quote from their e-mail:

which, to me, sounds kind of like 'whenever we get around to it, we're not in a hurry'........feels like a diss...but its early in the morning and I havent had a beer yet....

so I'm kinda sitting back at the moment......

:)

Go to another dealer. The dealer is FOS and doesn't "work through shelby" to do any warranty work! They work through Ford Racing and they can handle more than one car at time! Ugh. All that needs to be done are pictures taken and the info sent to Ford. The turnaround is pretty quick, a few days at most, for stripes about 48 hours and all items are shipped next day.

FIND ANOTHER DEALER!

I went to my dealer about my scoop/stripes.The manager said they just fixed one and it was not worth the time it took.He said he would make some calls but did not see the since in fixing it because the stripes would do the same thing again.I have not heard back yet been a week.

WOW! Three days without a hood scoop question or comment!

:speedie:

The site has been down all week or Im sure we woul dhave 2 more pages by now.LOL When I couldnt get on the site and saw they were doing amintenance I figured they were removing all the hood scoop and lower grill light threads!LOL :)

Have sent another email to SAI as they do not return phone calls I also followed with snail mail registered, ref scoop we will see if they answer this has gone on WAY too long. I went to dealer today to put in 3rd claim he says they WILL NOY do repair find dealer that will , gee the same customer service as SAI I will wait and see if Amy or anyone answers me Bruce

Have sent another email to SAI as they do not return phone calls I also followed with snail mail registered, ref scoop we will see if they answer this has gone on WAY too long. I went to dealer today to put in 3rd claim he says they WILL NOY do repair find dealer that will , gee the same customer service as SAI I will wait and see if Amy or anyone answers me Bruce

I sent an email about the scoop/stripes to SAI (Bud, Doug and Amy) and have not heard a peep. Yet, I've gotten two responses on another subject. I think they've been told to just ignore us and let Ford Racing Warranty handle it.

Archived