TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

I too am waiting for a final fix. My scoop seems ok (unless it is the culprit) but the stripes are wrinkled on the corners and in a couple other spots along the seam. It may be a scoop or rivet issue. My access to the internet is limited (Iraq) so I have not been able to read all the information here. I am interested in the ability to have a Shelby approved Mod Shop fix this for free when I get back. I don't feel comfortable taking to any Ford dealer who may or may not have any experience with the Shelby stripes. I say the mod shops because they should be versed in the striping because they are doing the other upgrades like restriping the GT 500 Super Snakes. Don't shoot the messenger, just a recommendation from one of those who is sitting on the fence until I can be there when it gets fixed and after a final resolution to the problem is found. Good luck to all.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to respond earlier, but obviously my computer is smarter than me......here goes again.

I have filed a warranty claim, but due to the number of people saying it doesn't work, have not told my dealer to move forward with the "fix" until there is some evidence that it actually works...not sometimes, but every time. So my new scoop (which I believe would be the "dip" version) is sitting at my Ford dealership. Bottom line is I'm not letting anyone drill holes in my car until I know the fix works....not sometimes, but every time.

Regarding the argument you are making; to parse percentages out with so few people responding can be somewhat misleading. From the macro perspective: 57% of total respondents are waiting for a final fix (it is implied that they are "not happy" with the scoop). 19% of the total respondents have tried the fix, and of that, 11% are not happy with it. That means that over all, 68% (29 out of 42) of the respondents are not happy with their scoop.

I won't argue with your point about people not filing a warranty claim, but that still doesn't rise to the level of the customers sharing culpability with SAI for the scoop debacle. Also, we don't know how many have been filed becuase your poll hasn't been read or responded to by thousands of SGT owners (Maybe this is something we can find out from SAI, I haven't queried them on this but will as soon as I finish writing this entry).

And again, it is disengenuous to state that SAI doesn't know how big of a problem this is. They monitor this forum, and should make what I think is a safe assumption that the owners who don't participate in the forum (the thousands I mentioned earlier) are suffering the same issues.

I stand by my cluster &*$% statement. The scoop is the biggest complaint about this car, and has not been handled properly. An example of a text book cluster &*$% was the 20%-off offer on an unfinished CS6 hood that came about a few months ago. If I sold you a defective product, and then told you all you had to do was spend an additional thousand or so dollars to remedy what I screwed up would you be happy with that?

Jeff, so the thing is that the warranty claim does what? I could just as easily send an e-mail to SAI which alot of people habe done. I am not interested in my dealer giving it a best shot, or anyone but SAI as the new fix seems to distort the stripes. SAI does no longer do warranty work. Can you submit a warranty by phone and then do nothing about it? My dealer is an hour away, and they are great...but its a drive and trying to explain to them would take my time. As opposed to waiting for a fix that works, remember the two front bolt fix?

Ok...it's passed 20 pages now and I think I've said all I wanted to or can. The only thing more exhausting than having four scoops and two sets of stripes put on my car is talking about it here! :confused:

;)

Love you guys but I'm getting off my :soapbox:

Hopefully I will never have to post about my scoop again...but I'll be watching my stripes now VERY closely!

Ok...it's passed 20 pages now and I think I've said all I wanted to or can. The only thing more exhausting than having four scoops and two sets of stripes put on my car is talking about it here! :confused:

;)

Love you guys but I'm getting off my :soapbox:

Hopefully I will never have to post about my scoop again...but I'll be watching my stripes now VERY closely!

If it stays warm then it may be a while before you see changes. I've noticed the stripe wrinkle just now because here in Virginia, we are seeing some warm days (70's) and cool nights (30's).

I reported the above to Ford Warranty today and they said the new stripes are thicker. I'm not sure that would help. Having the dealer shim the gap with a piece of paper (like you did) or even thicker piece of paper or thin cardboard may be the trick!

I'm just tired of being part of a large engineering experiment!

I've had the latest scoop for 3-1/2 months (I had it installed on Jan 2nd). It was perfect except for the dip. Well, yesterday I noticed that the stripe is getting pushed on the drivers side rear corner of the scoop. It's getting warm here in Virginia so this problem is showing up. Under heat, the hood is expanding at a different rate than the scoop and pulling the stripes with it, slipping out from under the scoop. When it cools, the hood contracts along with the stripes, but as it does the scoop must be biting into the stripe instead of allowing it to slip under it.

My recommendation for those who have not had the rivet solution done, DON'T! It needs to be screws, which is what I wanted to do myself, but instead I went with the "official" fix. The screws will allow you to adjust the pressure as needed to cover the extremes of heat and cold. We just can't expect a installer to be able to get the rivet force "just right" for those condidtions

I won't be going in for another rivet scoop for now. I'm going to wait and see what happens and maybe just buy a CS6 hood in a couple of years.

SAI still hasn't found the right combination IMO. I'm very dissappointed!

Almost the same weather down here in Southeast VA!

Anyway, my hood is at the dealer waiting to be fixed as well. They jacked up the first set of replacement stripes during the scoop install, so they had to order another set. The body shop manager called me a few days ago and suggested using a rivet-nut instead of the aluminum rivets supplied by SAI. I told him then that I wanted the car to remain as stock as possible. However after reading the posts of this thread this morning, I called him back today to see about taking a look at one of these things. The manager said that this would be a better way to go due to the fact that the technician can control the amount of pressure placed on the hood scoop and tape. He also stated that because they look real similar to regular rivets, some restored cars and kit cars use them because of the better control offered over a rivet gun. I'll take a picture of one of them when he calls and says he has them in hand.

I've had the latest scoop for 3-1/2 months (I had it installed on Jan 2nd). It was perfect except for the dip. Well, yesterday I noticed that the stripe is getting pushed on the drivers side rear corner of the scoop. It's getting warm here in Virginia so this problem is showing up. Under heat, the hood is expanding at a different rate than the scoop and pulling the stripes with it, slipping out from under the scoop. When it cools, the hood contracts along with the stripes, but as it does the scoop must be biting into the stripe instead of allowing it to slip under it.

My recommendation for those who have not had the rivet solution done, DON'T! It needs to be screws, which is what I wanted to do myself, but instead I went with the "official" fix. The screws will allow you to adjust the pressure as needed to cover the extremes of heat and cold. We just can't expect a installer to be able to get the rivet force "just right" for those condidtions

Blueshawk,

Not that it makes any difference, but it is not the hood that is expanding and contracting. No achievable atmospheric temperature will cause that aluminum hood to change dimensions. It is strictly that soft plastic scoop expanding and contracting. When cold, it contracts and pulls inward and when hot it expands pushing the stripe pinched underneath it outward and causing the stripe to bunch up. The pop rivets used are suitable for attaching metal surfaces together or metal and dense rigid fiberglass or carbon fiber. The pressure exerted by those rivets easily damages the soft plastic used in the Shelby scoop. The vinyl ester resin fiberglas scoop we just made is over 20 times more rigid and it does not measurably expand and contract even with huge changes in temperature like those experienced by parts of my aircraft cowing that are within an inch of an exhaust manifold that's over 1000°. When parked outside in the winter, that same fiberglas can rapidly cool to below freezing. My aircraft is over 10 years old and all the fiberglas on the engine cowling looks the same today as it did when the plane was manufactured a decade ago.

I am making a special trip out to the airport today to take some photos that I will post on this website tonight.

Chip

Anyway, my hood is at the dealer waiting to be fixed as well. They jacked up the first set of replacement stripes during the scoop install, so they had to order another set. The body shop manager called me a few days ago and suggested using a rivet-nut instead of the aluminum rivets supplied by SAI. I told him then that I wanted the car to remain as stock as possible. However after reading the posts of this thread this morning, I called him back today to see about taking a look at one of these things. The manager said that this would be a better way to go due to the fact that the technician can control the amount of pressure placed on the hood scoop and tape. He also stated that because they look real similar to regular rivets, some restored cars and kit cars use them because of the better control offered over a rivet gun. I'll take a picture of one of them when he calls and says he has them in hand.

Kevin, wow you just got your car and already have had issues. That does not bode well for me. I haven't had my car out on a hot day so there has been little chance for me to have problems (haven't seen the car since mid Feb and it's been covered since then).

I'm hoping that SAI will eventually come up with a solution that works in the long term. Until then I will sit on the sidelines.

........................... Until then I will sit on the sidelines ..............................

Again - evidence that A LOT OF US are watching 'on the sidelines' - spectator to this saga as it unfolds. :lurk: Me Included.

I've not turned in any kind of warranty claim - hell - the dealership I was at for my 1st oil change after sitting all winter, at 490 miles wasn't aware of the issues with the scoop, much less did they have the body shop on-site that could complete the repairs if needed.

I'm weighing out my decision heavily. . . . Get the CS6 hood and shelf the OEM hood with the 'original' scoop??????

Or ................... do I dive in and try to get the scoop on my SGT fixed :shrug:

I realize the CS6 hood is :spend: but %&*! if it doesn't look nice on the SGT

Mad props to those of you who have been thru 3-4-5 scoops and learning/teaching all of us as you go! :victory:

Trevor

Kevin, wow you just got your car and already have had issues. That does not bode well for me. I haven't had my car out on a hot day so there has been little chance for me to have problems (haven't seen the car since mid Feb and it's been covered since then).

I'm hoping that SAI will eventually come up with a solution that works in the long term. Until then I will sit on the sidelines.

The scoop is and has always been fine (no dip). The hood strip tape was messed up since the day I picked it up from Michael. He was the one who put the warranty claim in for me.

Well....the dealer took pics of the stains on the stripes yesterday n is going to contact SAI ta see what can be done. I am thinking of gettin the shaker installed when they do that.....but I don't know about how that'll look...black scoop with the silver stripes.

just thinkin out loud...

also thinkin maybe the CS6 hood is the way to go.......

dunno which way to go yet........

:banghead:

drove my car today and i tell ya i'm pissed having to stare at all that bunched up striping, how do we know there is even a fix in the works, my claim, ford denied it, been about a month now and no word from my dealer since i told them to resubmit it and route it to sai warranty. at which point are we fed up? who can help us? and the stripes stain from basically anything that hits them. i'm almost regretting buying this car. ok i'm done venting. a letter from sai to all owners acknowledging a scoop issue and info they are working on a fix would at least appease me for little longer.

The scoop is and has always been fine (no dip). The hood strip tape was messed up since the day I picked it up from Michael. He was the one who put the warranty claim in for me.

Kevin,

Good luck when they put the scoop back on or the new one, that is when crap went bad on mine. Mine scoop was perfect looking as you remember from Dyno day but now it is messed up after the removal for restripe due to having a new one ordered.

Best of luck...

Jase

I thought about "rivnuts" too. If you can get them in, then you can put the socket button head screws in and it will look great. Let us know how this works for you.

Stopped by Ford dealer yesterday on way home they will fill claim but will NOT do rivet repair they do not agree with SAI on fix, they watch forum and I was surpized that they do. Does SAI watch? after 25 years in Army I learned that if you ignore a problem it will not go away. It has been over a year as we all know, I stopped after second scoop they need to change material Bud told me they pay $450.00 for these scoops! . I think they got ripped off are we to put up with htier mistake, in my work if we make a mistake we fix it and sometimes it costs us money but we take care of customer after sale. I had all sort of promises to asure I took delivery of car what a company, it appears that SAI is all bout money only.

Stopped by Ford dealer yesterday on way home they will fill claim but will NOT do rivet repair they do not agree with SAI on fix, they watch forum and I was surpized that they do. Does SAI watch? after 25 years in Army I learned that if you ignore a problem it will not go away. It has been over a year as we all know, I stopped after second scoop they need to change material Bud told me they pay $450.00 for these scoops! . I think they got ripped off are we to put up with htier mistake, in my work if we make a mistake we fix it and sometimes it costs us money but we take care of customer after sale. I had all sort of promises to asure I took delivery of car what a company, it appears that SAI is all bout money only.

If they pay $450 a piece for these scoops they are getting absolutely butt raped. There is probably $20 in it max. The tool was made a few years ago now. Amy has made mention that one of the molds was screwed up and thats where all the problem comes from. I seem to recall the number of molds at 6. Well that would typically mean a 6 up moold. Everytime the machine runs a cycle...probably 2 or 3 minutes per run....it spits out 6 parts. So like I said the $450 makes no sense. My injection molding rep I work with stops in alot. he hasnt seen my car yet because it has been in witer hibernation. When he comes in next time I will have the car here and let him have a look at it. When I tell him how much they are paying he is going to laugh but Ill get a price. I would guess the tool ran around $50K for a 6 up mold. But given the quality of the parts with the dimples in the side the tool looks like it was low quality.

Blueshawk,

Not that it makes any difference, but it is not the hood that is expanding and contracting. No achievable atmospheric temperature will cause that aluminum hood to change dimensions. It is strictly that soft plastic scoop expanding and contracting. When cold, it contracts and pulls inward and when hot it expands pushing the stripe pinched underneath it outward and causing the stripe to bunch up. The pop rivets used are suitable for attaching metal surfaces together or metal and dense rigid fiberglass or carbon fiber. The pressure exerted by those rivets easily damages the soft plastic used in the Shelby scoop. The vinyl ester resin fiberglas scoop we just made is over 20 times more rigid and it does not measurably expand and contract even with huge changes in temperature like those experienced by parts of my aircraft cowing that are within an inch of an exhaust manifold that's over 1000°. When parked outside in the winter, that same fiberglas can rapidly cool to below freezing. My aircraft is over 10 years old and all the fiberglas on the engine cowling looks the same today as it did when the plane was manufactured a decade ago.

I am making a special trip out to the airport today to take some photos that I will post on this website tonight.

Chip

Chip, I have made these points a zillion times now about the scoop expansion and contraction, but SAI never responds directly to it...falling on deaf ears. Anyway, back into my hole.... :worm:

Chip, I have made these points a zillion times now about the scoop expansion and contraction, but SAI never responds directly to it...falling on deaf ears. Anyway, back into my hole.... :worm:

I could have sworn that Amy posted that they recently got a machine (that goes bing!) to test things like temperature etc. I forget where it is but she did say they were going to be testing for this unless I misunderstood. I will have to search for it later.

I could have sworn that Amy posted that they recently got a machine (that goes bing!) to test things like temperature etc. I forget where it is but she did say they were going to be testing for this unless I misunderstood. I will have to search for it later.

The "Bing" is the sound the easy bake oven makes when the scoop climate control test is done ! :hysterical:

I hope that machine tests to below freezing, becuase the scoop corners really begin to curl!

I hope they test extreme temps such as minus 40 degrees F, that's how cold it get's up here in North Dakota in the winter.

Gentlemen,

Under the thread heading "absolute hood scoop final fix" I have posted multiple photos of a hood scoop similar in appearance to the Shelby GT scoop I had made for my car. The material has been tested at temperatures well below freezing and up to several hundred degrees. This repair is not covered under the car's factory warantee. Take a look at that thread and if any members are interested please send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the technician that hand built my new scoop. All the best.

Chip Beck

NOTICE!!

An update from Amy on April 19, 1:02 AM EST can be found at:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...27468&st=80

She stated:

"On the hood scoop, I can not post anything more then i already posted as i dont have the answer yet."

Archived