TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

What do you mean by "dip"? Are you talking about the prominent line going across the scoop about 3" up from the front or a depression that's oval in shape in the middle?

Jeff,

I have a depression in the new one that is oval shaped about 3 inches back from the front. I am disgusted as my original did not have this. I am sick of my car being at the shop...2 months of it's life and it has been in the shop 3 weeks of it for various things.

Jason

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeff,

I have a depression in the new one that is oval shaped about 3 inches back from the front. I am disgusted as my original did not have this. I am sick of my car being at the shop...2 months of it's life and it has been in the shop 3 weeks of it for various things.

Jason

I see you have a 2008 SGT. What was wrong with the original scoop and do you know if this new scoop is the "latest" scoop design?

I'd be interested in informal poll results:

1) People who have had one or more fixes.

2) People on the fence waiting for a sure fire good fix. (Me)

3) People who don't care one way or the other.

4) Other

SEF

AKA:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27316

Jeff,

Jason

:( Can you post some pics?

I see you have a 2008 SGT. What was wrong with the original scoop and do you know if this new scoop is the "latest" scoop design?

The original scoop had damage around the rivets. The stripe was bubbled up just like the stripes on the hood were. You will see the pic of the old scoop here. I did not notice this, the dealer actually did while taking it off to replace the hood stripes.

The new scoop just came from SAI last Friday so not sure what scoop design it is, but I would hope it was the latest since it was only a few days old.

I am going to tell the dealer I want to wait on a new one for about 6 mos and see what happens with SAI. The dealer wants to take foam and put it underneath from the original scoop, the body shop manager says it will work, but I am hesitant.

post-12759-1208266482_thumb.jpg

post-12759-1208266482_thumb.jpg

The original scoop had damage around the rivets. The stripe was bubbled up just like the stripes on the hood were. You will see the pic of the old scoop here. I did not notice this, the dealer actually did while taking it off to replace the hood stripes.

The new scoop just came from SAI last Friday so not sure what scoop design it is, but I would hope it was the latest since it was only a few days old.

I am going to tell the dealer I want to wait on a new one for about 6 mos and see what happens with SAI. The dealer wants to take foam and put it underneath from the original scoop, the body shop manager says it will work, but I am hesitant.

Strange, your old scoop should have had a pillow under it....I thought all 08's had the pillow. Guess not! Small depression, oval in shape is the natural lay of the scoop over the pillow. It will be interesting to see how it looks in a few days. Post pics when you can!

Thanks!

Jeff I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your latest fix will be your final fix. Everyones for that matter. When are they scheduled to do yours?

Jim

Jeff I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your latest fix will be your final fix. Everyones for that matter. When are they scheduled to do yours?

Jim

Knock on the LCD, I should be picking it up today. I talked to the shop guy and he said it came out real nice. The way he explained it to me was you need to install it like you do valve covers. One side, then across, then across, etc. You also can't just push the rivets in. With the new pillow the scoop wants to lift up, this is what is keeping the larger dips with say with version 1 and 2. If you don't take care in how you insert the rivets and allow it to pull up, especially in the early ones, it can dig into the plastic as it tries to pull up. He used two people to install with one holding the opposite side being worked on so not to allow a single or few rivets to bear the full force of the scoop's upward tendency.

The real test will be over the coming months but he seemed pleased by how it came out.

Pics soon!

Knock on the LCD, I should be picking it up today. I talked to the shop guy and he said it came out real nice. The way he explained it to me was you need to install it like you do valve covers. One side, then across, then across, etc. You also can't just push the rivets in. With the new pillow the scoop wants to lift up, this is what is keeping the larger dips with say with version 1 and 2. If you don't take care in how you insert the rivets and allow it to pull up, especially in the early ones, it can dig into the plastic as it tries to pull up. He used two people to install with one holding the opposite side being worked on so not to allow a single or few rivets to bear the full force of the scoop's upward tendency.

The real test will be over the coming months but he seemed pleased by how it came out.

Pics soon!

Can't wait to see them ! Then...I will wait a few months :hysterical:

Suzanne,what if SAI decides to pull outta Vegas in two weeks,and sets up their shop in China? Do you really think waiting 2 months is the best thing for you,or your riding toy,Ralph?

Think about it Suzanne,oil prices are continuing to rise,and if you're not aware,your hood scoop is made up of the crude. If you decide to wait,you might find yourself priced out of a hood-scoop. Act now!

I had my hood scope fixed 6 month ago and it was perfect until about a month ago, then I noticed that the scoop was starting to cut into the stripes. I race my car twice a month on a road course(90 miles on the course each time) and the heat from the motor expands the hood and not the plastic scoop and I thing that is cosing the stripe problem. JMHO Carl

I had my hood scope fixed 6 month ago and it was perfect until about a month ago, then I noticed that the scoop was starting to cut into the stripes. I race my car twice a month on a road course(90 miles on the course each time) and the heat from the motor expands the hood and not the plastic scoop and I thing that is cosing the stripe problem. JMHO Carl

You maybe right!

I asked that the scoop not be flat against the hood so I can fit a piece of paper under it to give it room to expand. Not sure it that will be good enough or have any effect what so ever but I will be watching it over the summer and keeping my fingers crossed!

You maybe right!

I asked that the scoop not be flat against the hood so I can fit a piece of paper under it to give it room to expand. Not sure it that will be good enough or have any effect what so ever but I will be watching it over the summer and keeping my fingers crossed!

Does it get that hot up there ???? :hysterical::hysterical:

Anyways...you scoop looks GREAT !!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm sorry, are you trying to say that the scoop problem is not a problem? In your poll, the current response is 58.54% that haven't attempted a fix yet. A fix attempt hasn't been made, because obviously more "fixes" fail than succeed (12% aren't happy as compared to 7% who are), and the readers of this forum are learning from others' experience vice putting themselves through the pain. This is a smart approach (having said that hats off to the brave walking point on the scoop issue and trying the aforementioned fixes and final fixes). I'll assume that if it doesn't work on Shelby GT "X" then it probably won't work on Shelby GT "Y", or risk personifying Einstein's definition of insanity.

I for one am not letting SAI off the hook. The scoop and its subsequent fixes have amounted to a year long cluster $%#@ and needs to be settled. If they can't fix it, then replace the hood free of charge or something comparable. Lastly, Amy has posted many times on this forum and has been well aware of the problem, so lets not pretend she is surprised by this.

Nothing personal, we just have divergent opinions on how big of a problem, and how poorly handled the scoop issue has been.

Does it get that hot up there ???? :hysterical::hysterical:

Anyways...you scoop looks GREAT !!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

We gotta get you up here in late July or early August!

;)

I'm sure you'll be up here to visit the grandchildren this summer right?

Oh hey BTW! Thanks! We almost went 24 hours without a post here!!! :banghead:

Ok Jeff, first off you have THE best looking scoop I have seen on all these cars, period. Second all the 08's I have seen in person have the ripped and dipped stripes and scoops, seriously. Brand new on dealer lots, all of them. The 07's I have seen all look like mine (never riveted) or like the 08's.

Maybe I can shed some light on why some may be watching the situation and not filing claims...

I am on the fence waiting to see what shakes up as I am not a test case for no one, and quite frankly, you deserve kudos for going through it 4 times. I have not the patience, nor the time (opprotunity cost to jack around with multiple dealer visits etc..) or the trust.

The trust: I also refuse to leave my car at any dealer EXCEPT SAI for more than an afternoon, while I wait. I HATE door dings and hate detail "dressings" even more. I do not want to hear the excuse that a scratch, ding, or whatever did not happen to my SGT at a dealership. Or have a lot kid use a dirty gritty brush to wash my car.

I have a very very trained eye, I notice every fault everytime I wash a vehicle or purchase one, and I remember them well. This "accidental damage" has happened to me at car shops, dealers, boatyards, car and boat detailers and yacht brokers, they all denied that they did it, and would not accept responsibility initially WITHOUT exception. It is disappointing.

If my stuff is gonna get mesed up I want the prevlidge. I have even had a gardener shoot a rock into my window from a lawn trimmer while I watched and said he did not do it. In all cases it all worked out one way or more money from me to fix as it was not worth my time to argue the point, and stuff happens, it just took alot of time (and BS and lost opprotunity cost) and sometimes insistence, what a drag.

I hate bondo and resprays on a new car. I have moving blankets on my garage walls, to keep my kid from accidentally bumping the paint when opening a door. And I am not planning on fixing or having my bodywork fixed from these mishaps. In fact I could accept me spray painting the SGT flat black more than I could accept careless and senseless damage to a new car and a new car with bondo. Again I know stuff happens both good or bad but I suspect thats why many others are waiting.

At this point I am old enough to notice that the person/business who accepts responsibility for messing up your possesions is rare.

I will say that my scoop looks like crap compared to yours, I will and do drive my car in anything but snow and I drive it to enjoy it. And look through my posts, I really really dig my SGT! I am just waiting to see what will rectify the situation permenentally. I am not freaking out about it, stuff happens and the SAI crew are 100% awesome, I just think it could be as good as yours looks, lets hope your fix lasts...

So saying all this...what is your recommendation for a guy like me?

p.s. sorry my spellcheck don't work...thats my edit.

post-12804-1208411411_thumb.jpgGentlemen,

I have had my 2007 white Shelby GT for just over one year now. The car has been flawless and I have had no warranty work done with the exception of the hood scoop. My original scoop warped and curled up at the edges. I waited a full year to see what kind of permanent fix Shelby would come up with. After examining the riveted on hood scoops of several brand-new blue/silver Shelby GTs at my local dealer as well as two black/red Barrett Jackson GTs, I was dismayed to see that every one of them had damaged paint on the scoops due to the rivets as well as damaged stripes that were bunched up around the edges of the scoop. I took my Shelby GT to the dealership and had them remove the original scoop and give me a brand-new one but I did not let them install it. The brand-new scoop already had a slight dip in it behind the midsection away from the scoop opening. The injection molded plastic that the scoop is made out of is not at all suitable for high temperature automotive applications. The plastic is quite soft and pliable and the entire scoop can be twisted or bent with very little hand pressure. The new scoop is supplied with an underlay of black foam rubber that is evidently intended to support the pliable plastic scoop. I am fanatical about my collector cars so I decided to take matters into my own hands and fix this once and for all.

I wanted the car to remain bone stock in appearance. My Glasair III aircraft is manufactured out of vinyl ester resin impregnated fiberglass and it is tough as nails. Parts of the cowling are within an inch of the red hot air cooled cylinder heads and the cowling itself routinely withstands the extreme air pressures associated with 400 mph air speeds. I had my airframe crew chief take a mold and make an exact duplicate of my Shelby GT hood scoop without the imperfections of course. Unlike the original soft pliable plastic scoop my duplicate is extremely rigid and will be far more durable than an aluminum scoop would be. I intend to leave the front of the scoop open and may even cut out the hood underneath the scoop just like the original 1966 GT350. I haven't made a final decision on that last part yet. I have procured small allen wrench set screws that match the fake set screws that came on the scoop of the Shelby GT originally. I will use these screws along with nut plates attached to the bottom of the hood to attach my new bulletproof Shelby GT hood scoop.

Obviously this work will not be covered by my factory warantee and I could care less. I know most Shelby GT owners are only interested in a factory warantee fix. A fix they are certainly entitled to. But for those owners who want a real fix that will absolutely last for ever and are leery of going back to a soft plastic injection molded hood scoop AND are willing to pay a master craftsman to hand make an exact duplicate out of vinyl ester resin fiberglass, send me a PM. Within the next week I'll post photos. Cheers.

Chip Beck

post-12804-1208411411_thumb.jpg

Chip I have had custom fiberglass parts made for an old unique powerboat. Does your guy still have the mold, if so can he carbon fiber one with the carbon cloth and clear resin? How much for one like yours or otherwise?

Also it has been discussed that cutting the hole under the scoop might actually work "backwards" due to the aerodynamics of the hood and grill design....Nice job on the championships by the way and cool plane!

I used to watch Art Schol practice near my house all the time when I was a kid, neat!

Jeff,the wifey wanted me to ask if you would be willing..........To test your new hood scoop with a blow dryer or a heat gun,and after finishing that test,she wanted you to somehow blow the entire scoop with liquid nitrogen.

Oh and Jeff,the wifey gonna be in your area next month. If you're willing to take her out to dinner,restaurant of her choosing,in return,I'll tell you a secret about your car,that most are unaware of. deal?

I've had the latest scoop for 3-1/2 months (I had it installed on Jan 2nd). It was perfect except for the dip. Well, yesterday I noticed that the stripe is getting pushed on the drivers side rear corner of the scoop. It's getting warm here in Virginia so this problem is showing up. Under heat, the hood is expanding at a different rate than the scoop and pulling the stripes with it, slipping out from under the scoop. When it cools, the hood contracts along with the stripes, but as it does the scoop must be biting into the stripe instead of allowing it to slip under it.

My recommendation for those who have not had the rivet solution done, DON'T! It needs to be screws, which is what I wanted to do myself, but instead I went with the "official" fix. The screws will allow you to adjust the pressure as needed to cover the extremes of heat and cold. We just can't expect a installer to be able to get the rivet force "just right" for those condidtions

I won't be going in for another rivet scoop for now. I'm going to wait and see what happens and maybe just buy a CS6 hood in a couple of years.

SAI still hasn't found the right combination IMO. I'm very dissappointed!

Glasair_III.jpgGentlemen,

Obviously this work will not be covered by my factory warantee and I could care less. I know most Shelby GT owners are only interested in a factory warantee fix. A fix they are certainly entitled to. But for those owners who want a real fix that will absolutely last for ever and are leery of going back to a soft plastic injection molded hood scoop AND are willing to pay a master craftsman to hand make an exact duplicate out of vinyl ester resin fiberglass, send me a PM. Within the next week I'll post photos. Cheers.

Chip Beck

Chip looking forward to what you've come up with!

VERY cool!

Jeff,the wifey wanted me to ask if you would be willing..........To test your new hood scoop with a blow dryer or a heat gun,and after finishing that test,she wanted you to somehow blow the entire scoop with liquid nitrogen.

Oh and Jeff,the wifey gonna be in your area next month. If you're willing to take her out to dinner,restaurant of her choosing,in return,I'll tell you a secret about your car,that most are unaware of. deal?

Ok,but....not sure I want to know now! :fear:

Chip Beck

Chip,

I'm with you, I just didn't have the MASTER craftsman to go to when I wanted to do the same thing last summer... I guess it all comes down to the $$$ factor... Pics and an estimate of the cost for the scoop when you can... THANKS!

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Archived