TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

Now we have an assortment to choose from? :headscratch:

I asked because if his new scoop was installed on Friday I don't think he would see the one that's seen as a line across 3" up as it takes time to form. The other is the slight dip in the center front of the scoop for those with the pillow or the deep indent as was seen in the first version before the pillow was added. There as someone that told me that their dealer had installed the new scoop without the pillow because it was easier to rivet and he ended up getting it done again because it had a BIG dip in the center.

I'm just trying to help.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just trying to help.

No one's blaming or criticizing you for anything Jeff. What you're seeing is the mounting frustration that is being felt by SGT owners over a relatively simple issue that is not being addressed in a professional manner by Shelby. If SAI would stop and try to deal with this universally (and professionally) rather than on a case by case basis, you wouldn't see this much individual frustration......which will soon evolve to group anger if they continue on this path. In fact, they're probably spending more money dealing with this the way they have, than they would if they just contacted all owners the way Ford does with recalls and announce that the issue will be addressed. SAI should officially advise all owners that:

1. There is a problem.

2. Describe the problem for those that are yet unaware and to confirm it for those that are.

3. Assure owners that their money has not been spent on a faulty product.

4. Inform owners that SAI is working to address the issue.

5. Provide a timeframe as to when to expect resolution.

6. Offer alternatives if owners do not wish to wait for the resolution.

I do think that SAI is trying to figure this out in a manner that all will find satisfactory but it's gonna take some time and SAI is gonna have to bite the bullet and some heads are gonna have to roll. Being strung along with all these multiple fixes that aren't working and are keeping us from even enjoying driving our cars will take its toll on SAI as future SAI vehicles will be looked upon with a more dubious and critical eye. The buyers of these vehicles are a very special market and their voice means a lot in the car buying court of public opinion. Ford should be paying attention too as this will effect their reputation as well.

Bottom line is Carroll Shelby's name is on these cars. He needs to get involved. When that happens, there will be a rapid resolution.

Can't be! If there is one thing I'm absolutely sure of it's that there is no QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER at SAI. If there was, you wouldn't see brand new '08's on dealer floors with dips and wrinkled stripes and rivets at odd angles to the scoops.

Someone mentioned that perhaps SAI shouldn't notify everyone that they were aware of the scoop problems and a fix is in progress because some owners are unaware and obviously don't care. So why should SAI care? Simple. It's something called pride in workmanship. It's something called Quality Control. So what if the individual owner, who may not be a car guy, hasn't noticed. Others notice. You see a Shelby with a crappy fitting hood scoop or wrinkled stripes and what do you think? Good looking car but really crappy quality control. Sad, really sad and I'd think Mr. Shelby would be concerned as well. I was surprised yesterday when I read that Amy was totally unaware of the wrinkled stripe issue with the new "FIX". We've only been complaining about it here for what, 2 or 3 months now? That's hard to imagine.

Oh well, it's just a car. Correction, it's a car that says Shelby all over it and it shouldn't be having these problems over and over and over and....

Jim

THEY DON’T CARE

THEY DON’T HAVE ANY INTEGRIY

AND THEY ARE MORE WORRIED ABOUT LITIGATION ON LOGO’S , NAMES , AND COPY RIGHTS,,,,,,,,,,,THAN CUSTOMER WARRANTYS THAT APPARENTLY THEY WON’T HONOR BECAUSE IT’S DOESN’T PUT MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS……..

THEY DON’T CARE.

OK , I still have alot of two cent's to put in on the scoop seeing as I paid 45,000 for my white SGT.

I think that SAI recognized there was a ready market for these cars given the rapidly growing enthusiasim for 60's street rods , and especially Mustangs ..............but they had to act .............(as always is in bussiness , fast ) so they relied on the first emotional impressions of buys (Us) many not really familiar with classic street rods , hotrod design , new materials , real Shelby Mustang 350"s . I'd say most people that bought this car have never seen a real 350GT ..................So they new we were more or less SAP's ...........Ya all capitals ..........................Let the buyer be ware!!! True I agree

But this still does not speak-well of SAI, they started out with a great car , and could have don it justice with just a little more effort . And when Ford , and SAI give a Warrant they should stand by it ------- No Questions Asked , and proffessionally notify the customer as is standard operating in the Automobile industry which I assum they claim to be a part of in some way.

I have been an aircraft maechanic , engineer , designer on airplanes engines , and rockets , I have worked in many "Gearhead Disiplines ", and I know this is not an insurmountable problem ...........though it's gonna cost sombody some money............I suggest before the customer gets the wrong impression and we all turn to litigation as the solution ,, somene at SAI grow some , step up , and get bizzy.

Zale Schuster

PS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My scoop still looks pretty dam good with my CA Glue Fix...........!!!!!!!

THEY DON’T CARE

THEY DON’T HAVE ANY INTEGRIY

AND THEY ARE MORE WORRIED ABOUT LITIGATION ON LOGO’S , NAMES , AND COPY RIGHTS,,,,,,,,,,,THAN CUSTOMER WARRANTYS THAT APPARENTLY THEY WON’T HONOR BECAUSE IT’S DOESN’T PUT MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS……..

THEY DON’T CARE.

:yup:

OK , I still have alot of two cent's to put in on the scoop seeing as I paid 45,000 for my white SGT.

I think that SAI recognized there was a ready market for these cars given the rapidly growing enthusiasim for 60's street rods , and especially Mustangs ..............but they had to act .............(as always is in bussiness , fast ) so they relied on the first emotional impressions of buys (Us) many not really familiar with classic street rods , hotrod design , new materials , real Shelby Mustang 350"s . I'd say most people that bought this car have never seen a real 350GT ..................So they new we were more or less SAP's ...........Ya all capitals ..........................Let the buyer be ware!!! True I agree

But this still does not speak-well of SAI, they started out with a great car , and could have don it justice with just a little more effort . And when Ford , and SAI give a Warrant they should stand by it ------- No Questions Asked , and proffessionally notify the customer as is standard operating in the Automobile industry which I assum they claim to be a part of in some way.

I have been an aircraft maechanic , engineer , designer on airplanes engines , and rockets , I have worked in many "Gearhead Disiplines ", and I know this is not an insurmountable problem ...........though it's gonna cost sombody some money............I suggest before the customer gets the wrong impression and we all turn to litigation as the solution ,, somene at SAI grow some , step up , and get bizzy.

Zale Schuster

PS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My scoop still looks pretty dam good with my CA Glue Fix...........!!!!!!!

:yup: again

I had no idea this was still a big issue. I havent been keeping up with things over the winter. Mine still needs to be replaced. I have not had it done yet and it has the original lifted and dimpled scoop and my stripes are FUBAR. I documented it with my dealer last summer but I am going to call and make sure he put in a warranty claim and not just a note in my file.

I had no idea this was still a big issue. I havent been keeping up with things over the winter. Mine still needs to be replaced. I have not had it done yet and it has the original lifted and dimpled scoop and my stripes are FUBAR. I documented it with my dealer last summer but I am going to call and make sure he put in a warranty claim and not just a note in my file.

+1000

If you never heard back it was never submitted. Your dealer should have taken pictures etc., and you should have had a new scoop and stripes within a few days. Since you need to take off the scoop to fix the stripes it's the right time to do it. It's what I decided to do.

+1000

If you never heard back it was never submitted. Your dealer should have taken pictures etc., and you should have had a new scoop and stripes within a few days. Since you need to take off the scoop to fix the stripes it's the right time to do it. It's what I decided to do.

I did tell my service guy that I wasnty going to have it fixed until the "official fix" came out and that it would likely be next spring..which is now here. I am going to call him tomorrow and touch base. He knows all about the issues and I do all my service there so I know I wont have a hard time. More importantly it appears the "official fix" isnt a good fix? I am seeing all kinds of posts about it. I thought it was fixed. When wil this saga ever end. probably before the lower driving lights come out ;)

I did tell my service guy that I wasnty going to have it fixed until the "official fix" came out and that it would likely be next spring..which is now here. I am going to call him tomorrow and touch base. He knows all about the issues and I do all my service there so I know I wont have a hard time. More importantly it appears the "official fix" isnt a good fix? I am seeing all kinds of posts about it. I thought it was fixed. When wil this saga ever end. probably before the lower driving lights come out ;)

Hey welcome back BTW!

So far, FOR ME, the latest fix has been fine! My only issue was I got one of the scoops form a bad batch other than that my scoop, with the rivets, looked great! HOWEVER, others have had it done, and there are some 08s from SAI, where the results were not what we would hope to see.

I think it comes down to how good your body shop is and how badly you want to fix things. I couldn't take the old scoop anymore let alone enter car shows etc., with my massive gap and waves.

I hope to report success tomorrow or Wed at the latest.

I'd be interested in informal poll results:

1) People who have had one or more fixes.

2) People on the fence waiting for a sure fire good fix. (Me)

3) People who don't care one way or the other.

4) Other

SEF

AKA:

Hey welcome back BTW!

So far, FOR ME, the latest fix has been fine! My only issue was I got one of the scoops form a bad batch other than that my scoop, with the rivets, looked great! HOWEVER, others have had it done, and there are some 08s from SAI, where the results were not what we would hope to see.

I think it comes down to how good your body shop is and how badly you want to fix things. I couldn't take the old scoop anymore let alone enter car shows etc., with my massive gap and waves.

I hope to report success tomorrow or Wed at the latest.

the stripe rivet issue does not show itself immediately after scoop installed, it is gradual but if is is going to, should be within 4 weeks or so and then progressively gets worse

the stripe rivet issue does not show itself immediately after scoop installed, it is gradual but if is is going to, should be within 4 weeks or so and then progressively gets worse

Yeah, that's true! Mine was on almost two months last time with no issues, be then again we still have the summer heat as the REAL test heh?

i;m sticking with jeff on the riveted scoop.my last scoop was riveted and looked great because i had a very good installer.no stripe issue or raised scoop.waiting for new scoop to come in again because of the dip.these hoods are getting to complicated because of so many bad installers.still think shelby should give everyone that wants one a cs6 hood.i personally like my hood but i am getting tired of the scoop issue.no wonder so many people drive rice burners.rember back in the 50's and 60's when products said made in japan and we thought their products were junk.my father-in-law was in the batan death march in wwii but still wanted quality so he bought toyota's and nissans .maybe shelby can get one of those manufactures to show us how to build a better scoop and install it properly.after all they have already forced us to build better cars .i don't care who builds the scoop,i;m just tired of the hassel.

i;m sticking with jeff on the riveted scoop.my last scoop was riveted and looked great because i had a very good installer.no stripe issue or raised scoop.waiting for new scoop to come in again because of the dip.these hoods are getting to complicated because of so many bad installers.still think shelby should give everyone that wants one a cs6 hood.i personally like my hood but i am getting tired of the scoop issue.no wonder so many people drive rice burners.rember back in the 50's and 60's when products said made in japan and we thought their products were junk.my father-in-law was in the batan death march in wwii but still wanted quality so he bought toyota's and nissans .maybe shelby can get one of those manufactures to show us how to build a better scoop and install it properly.after all they have already forced us to build better cars .i don't care who builds the scoop,i;m just tired of the hassel.

Maybe the scoops are built in China? That would explain the quality issues.

will china one day take the place of japan.maybe so.but there quality isn;t there yet.there quality is about where our hood scoops are now.maybe they did make our hood scoops but that doesn't explain the poor quality of installation on most scoops except jeff's and mine.#4 comming up.

will china one day take the place of japan.maybe so.but there quality isn;t there yet.there quality is about where our hood scoops are now.maybe they did make our hood scoops but that doesn't explain the poor quality of installation on most scoops except jeff's and mine.#4 comming up.

Which dealer have you gone to for your hood scoop repair(s)? I'm in the S.E. Houston area and I'd like to go to a dealer who's familiar with the process.

Thanks!

i used randall reed in humble.i had the guy that is the foreman in the body shop.did excellent job on riveting last scoop.he had no control over dip in scoop.ask for lance in the body shop.i believe he is the asst.manager.now waiting for new scoop to come in.good luck.

I have a question.Just what is the warranty on the physical appearance parts of the car?3/36?Some folks might be down to about a year left.If they keep providing "fixes" long enough.......................

Archived