TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny thing is Jeff's scoop looks about as perfect as it gets, better than any I have seen....

I think in large part that is due to the talent and care of his mechanic. With a solution as complicated as drilling numerous holes in a Shelby GT hood and installing numerous rivets, not every mechanic will have the same talent or take the same care. As Amy has said, many dealers are refusing to do it, and I'm sure that's because they don't want the risk of comebacks, and/or they simply don't have anyone on staff who can do the work.

Others who have had the rivet fix aren't as satisfied as Jeff, and some '08 scoops on dealer lots have been seen with problems - although I think most of these problems were the latest issue of the scoop damaging the stripe.

I wonder how Jeff's scoop and installation will look after another year? Hopefully perfect, but it will be interesting to see. I sure hope we're not still talking about hood scoop problems with no SAI answers then.

I agree with everything being said. Of course, I was scolded for this on the old message board.

The bottom line is that this is not being handled properly and in a timely manner. I too have an original scoop and have not reported it to a dealer, why? Because every fix thus far seems to be as bad or worse in my mind and from what I've seen.

The communication has been poor,and confusing at best, the fixes have been less than perfect.

It's a 40k or so car, it's pretty obvious to everyone it's a material problem. But, fixing problems like that can be expensive so as far as I'm concerned it still appears that the least expensive fix that might work approach is being used.

It's disapointing, and one would think embarrassing to Shelby.

Do I still love to drive my car - yes. Would I sell i - no. Am I satisfied - not completely.

My scoop is as good if not better than Jeff's. Very slight dip that you have to be at the right angle to see. I have only one rivet that is sunk a little to far. I can live with it as long as it stays that way, although i'm not to optimistic about that. It's not the quality it should be, considering what the car cost and is supposed to represent.

My grill surround is a different story. It wasn't warped when i bought the car, not so now. I expect my scoop will do the same thing with time.

My dealer has a black 07 thats been sitting outside since last year that is so bad i could almost get my fingers started under it and pull it off. The 08 sitting in their showroom has the BIG dipper.

100_1186.jpg

100_1184.jpg

100_1180.jpg

100_1182.jpg

I wonder how Jeff's scoop and installation will look after another year? Hopefully perfect, but it will be interesting to see. I sure hope we're not still talking about hood scoop problems with no SAI answers then.

I agree! I also don't understand how they can come from SAI looking like the ones I've seen posted.

As I say, I know nothing more than all of you, and often just as confused, but my guess is there can be a bad installer at SAI as well as anyplace else and maybe the issue doesn't "pop-up" (pun intended) for a few days or something? I have no idea.

I can only report what I have first hand knowledge of.

I'm confused, and no disrespect intended to anyone here. Who is the official SAI spokesperson regarding this issue? Jeff says there is a fix, but Amy says that they are still looking at options. Who do we listen to? Who is correct? Are we, the customers, being given the old fashioned run around? Can someone please post something officially on SAI letterhead?

I said there was "a fix" NEVER said this was the "FINAL fix"...don't read what you want to read!

My point is, when done right with a good scoop, there is a fix that for me was FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than living with old warped and lifting scoop. I'm no longer have to worry about people pointing out the scoop etc. Holes and all it was worth it! You may not think so!

My scoop is as good if not better than Jeff's.

My grill surround is a different story. It wasn't warped when i bought the car, not so now. I expect my scoop will do the same thing with time.

Looks good! I mean for a black car and all... :hysterical:

The grill, as I posted in the other thread, is a Mustang issue. MY 05 and my friends 06 did the same thing. Go look at used cars or take a walk around a car show this summer and you will see many 05 and above Mustangs with the same problem.

Looks good! I mean for a black car and all... :hysterical:

The grill, as I posted in the other thread, is a Mustang issue. MY 05 and my friends 06 did the same thing. Go look at used cars or take a walk around a car show this summer and you will see many if not ALL 05 and above Mustangs with the same problem.

My wife's 06 GT grill suround is still perfect. Knock on wood.... err plastic. :whew:

I agree with everything being said. Of course, I was scolded for this on the old message board.

The bottom line is that this is not being handled properly and in a timely manner. I too have an original scoop and have not reported it to a dealer, why? Because every fix thus far seems to be as bad or worse in my mind and from what I've seen.

The communication has been poor,and confusing at best, the fixes have been less than perfect.

It's a 40k or so car, it's pretty obvious to everyone it's a material problem. But, fixing problems like that can be expensive so as far as I'm concerned it still appears that the least expensive fix that might work approach is being used.

It's disapointing, and one would think embarrassing to Shelby.

Do I still love to drive my car - yes. Would I sell i - no. Am I satisfied - not completely.

I concur with ya!

From a short term business perspective,it would cost SAI alot of money,informing every single customer in regards to the hood scoop. I somewhat agree with the approach that SAI is taking,in regards to fixing it for people who request it.

A perfect example...... Wifey was at her first car show last year,was a Mustang exclusive show.

90% of the cars were Shelby related,in various age groups. Well,a couple had an 07 SGT black,exactly like my wifes car. The hood scoop looked absolutely terrible,the worst I had seen to that point. Also on that car,the lanyards were twisted all over the place,wayyy loose,and kinked in multiple places(looked like doo-doo). Anyways,the wife vaguely mentioned something to them as far as a hood-scoop repair in the works. The couple wasn't aware of a prob,and they seemed perfectly content and happy with their car. The wife nor I said anything to em as far as their lanyards,we both figured they could look at wifeys car lol. My point is,people are unaware a prob exists,and are happy with their product. Why open a can of worms,and mass inform all the customers,if the need isn't warranted,and most importantly,not a SAFETY issue?

Long term.... possibly it degrades SAI a tad,but I highly doubt it. The percentage of peeps in the know,way offsets the clueless.

As far as quality and qualified installers...... Here in Sarasota FL,there was/is too 08 SGT's with the riveted hood scoops. Both I'll assume,were done in Vegas at SAI. Both scoops had the dipper effect,and the rivet job was less than perfect. Also,the paint next to the rivets in several locations,was pinched and peeling,around the rivets,and several of the rivets weren't installed perpendicular to the hood/scoop. To my naked eye,it looked like a rush job and/or a poorly qualified installer. I'll ass-u-me the installer was either pressed for time or wasn't qualified to install...both?

Something within in the control of the installers,my opinion.....esp coming from place of modifications I.E. SAI,should be perfect,or best it can be,product provided. Why it's allowed to leave mod shop,and sent to dealer,is beyond I? Timeframe issues as far as car being on lot,so can be sold to perspective buyers? My opinion,SAI needs to inspect every single car,prior to release.

And as far as Amy responding etc,I believe this board and it's members,are very fortunate to have Amy speak with the community here on occasion,regarding this and that. Wifey and I discussed this awhile back,and it's both our opinions......that a prez of a company,shouldn't be nor have to,speak to the bottom of the ladder customers(stating it how it is lol). My opinion,SAI should employ a spokesperson to address past,current,and future issues pertaining to SAI.

Could and should the hood scoop issue/s be handled better? Sure! I do believe SAI will ultimately make things right,and satisfy the customers. I really do hope SAI LEARNS from this experience,and puts in place,plans of action that will reduce/eliminate things like this from occuring in the future.

Lastly,in regards to the CS6 hood,wifey rode with several peeps in Vegas who had em,and she liked em! I personally like the old school look of the hood scoops,and like her car the way it is.

she has discussed possibly getting the CS6 hood,and as it's her car,if she wants it,she'll get it lol.

I concur with ya!

From a short term business perspective,it would cost SAI alot of money,informing every single customer in regards to the hood scoop. I somewhat agree with the approach that SAI is taking,in regards to fixing it for people who request it.

A perfect example...... Wifey was at her first car show last year,was a Mustang exclusive show.

90% of the cars were Shelby related,in various age groups. Well,a couple had an 07 SGT black,exactly like my wifes car. The hood scoop looked absolutely terrible,the worst I had seen to that point. Also on that car,the lanyards were twisted all over the place,wayyy loose,and kinked in multiple places(looked like doo-doo). Anyways,the wife vaguely mentioned something to them as far as a hood-scoop repair in the works. The couple wasn't aware of a prob,and they seemed perfectly content and happy with their car. The wife nor I said anything to em as far as their lanyards,we both figured they could look at wifeys car lol. My point is,people are unaware a prob exists,and are happy with their product. Why open a can of worms,and mass inform all the customers,if the need isn't warranted,and most importantly,not a SAFETY issue?

Long term.... possibly it degrades SAI a tad,but I highly doubt it. The percentage of peeps in the know,way offsets the clueless.

As far as quality and qualified installers...... Here in Sarasota FL,there was/is too 08 SGT's with the riveted hood scoops. Both I'll assume,were done in Vegas at SAI. Both scoops had the dipper effect,and the rivet job was less than perfect. Also,the paint next to the rivets in several locations,was pinched and peeling,around the rivets,and several of the rivets weren't installed perpendicular to the hood/scoop. To my naked eye,it looked like a rush job and/or a poorly qualified installer. I'll ass-u-me the installer was either pressed for time or wasn't qualified to install...both?

Something within in the control of the installers,my opinion.....esp coming from place of modifications I.E. SAI,should be perfect,or best it can be,product provided. Why it's allowed to leave mod shop,and sent to dealer,is beyond I? Timeframe issues as far as car being on lot,so can be sold to perspective buyers? My opinion,SAI needs to inspect every single car,prior to release.

And as far as Amy responding etc,I believe this board and it's members,are very fortunate to have Amy speak with the community here on occasion,regarding this and that. Wifey and I discussed this awhile back,and it's both our opinions......that a prez of a company,shouldn't be nor have to,speak to the bottom of the ladder customers(stating it how it is lol). My opinion,SAI should employ a spokesperson to address past,current,and future issues pertaining to SAI.

Could and should the hood scoop issue/s be handled better? Sure! I do believe SAI will ultimately make things right,and satisfy the customers. I really do hope SAI LEARNS from this experience,and puts in place,plans of action that will reduce/eliminate things like this from occuring in the future.

Lastly,in regards to the CS6 hood,wifey rode with several peeps in Vegas who had em,and she liked em! I personally like the old school look of the hood scoops,and like her car the way it is.

she has discussed possibly getting the CS6 hood,and as it's her car,if she wants it,she'll get it lol.

Maybe it's just me, but anyone that has a warped and twisted scoop and isn't aware there is a problem and is happy with it well...... just isn't a true car enthusiast imo. Guess i'm old school, but i was taught that a job worth doing, is worth doing right. It's called taking pride in your work. Doesn't seem to be to much of that in this country anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but anyone that has a warped and twisted scoop and isn't aware there is a problem and is happy with it well...... just isn't a true car enthusiast imo. Guess i'm old school, but i was taught that a job worth doing, is worth doing right. It's called taking pride in your work. Doesn't seem to be to much of that in this country anymore.

Couple that with those that are "true car enthusiasts" that are also not reporting the problem and you have a perfect storm! No reports, no problem, no problem, no fix!

PLEASE, anyone, especially 08's, that has a scoop issue GET IN TO YOUR DEALER AND FILE A CLAIM! If you want to hold off on the repair once the new scoop comes in fine but get the magnitude of the problem on someone's radar!

Agree with you there. I was SHOCKED when I spoke to those people and they didn't realize there was a problem. Their scoop by far was one of the worse I had seen...off the hood alot...you could see daylight everywhere around it ! :banghead:

I am waiting a bit longer before I get the big dipper changed again. Not sure how much more mine can take..and I want to make sure my stripes aren't "crinkling" like others have with the rivets. If my stripes are crinkling..i will have the new stripes cut around the new scoop.

Have had the car over a year now...and really want to get this over with. From the different "responses" i see from SAI..I am just not sure how actively they are working on this problem.

ditto, except i am not lucky enough to be located by a performance dealership

+1

SAI replaced my 3rd scoop in Jan. in Las Vegas, and it developed the big dipper the very next day. Bud told me that SAI will no longer do warranty work, as I was planning to have SAI install a S/C and fix my scoop again on Mar. 30, so I cancelled the S/C install. I am on a buyer's strike, and I will avoid purchasing anything from SAI in the future. Am I pissed? You bet I am!!!

None of my local dealers will touch the scoop. So, what am I suppose to do now? I wrote to Amy about this issue two weeks ago, and still no reply.

Hello SAI anybody listening? :angry2:

+1

SAI replaced my 3rd scoop in Jan. in Las Vegas, and it developed the big dipper the very next day. Bud told me that SAI will no longer do warranty work, as I was planning to have SAI install a S/C and fix my scoop again on Mar. 30, so I cancelled the S/C install. I am on a buyer's strike, and I will avoid purchasing anything from SAI in the future. Am I pissed? You bet I am!!!

None of my local dealers will touch the scoop. So, what am I suppose to do now? I wrote to Amy about this issue two weeks ago, and still no reply.

:mademyday:

I'm with ya on that. Any future components i decide to install on my car will not come from S.A.I either. There are a lot of better quality after market parts out there, more reasonably priced. :ph34r:

I just had my hood scoop replaced on my 07 two weeks ago and got that stripe crinkle that you are talking about. My dealer called SAI and of they told him that they had been aware of the problem. Apparently there has been a new hood scoop to fix this issue that has just come out within the last week. SAI told them this should take care of that issue. The new stripes and scope are on their way. SAI told the dealer to leave the car alone for three days prior to placing the new scoop on so that the stripes have time to cure. Once it gets here and done I will let you know the results.

+1

SAI replaced my 3rd scoop in Jan. in Las Vegas, and it developed the big dipper the very next day. Bud told me that SAI will no longer do warranty work, as I was planning to have SAI install a S/C and fix my scoop again on Mar. 30, so I cancelled the S/C install.

This is sad and disappointing. I was waiting for a final fix and then to get my car a paxton at SAI and a scoop update. I was willing to pay the added SAI price on s/c, and the Vegas trip expense for the fix and the experience, and the SAI tag on s/c. I think I will wait for the near end of warranty and see what pans out. Hell I may just buy an aftermarket kit, s/c that is, I can wrench. And screw the scoop. Or for 7k, I may just buy another old car. (I have a BB s/c car in my shop now undergoing a build). My scoop is wavy, bumpy and got some slight gaps. I have never had anyone else notice . I recently saw a '70 GT500 up close and personal. Wow, its wavy in spots and has some of the funkiest grills, this side of a shade tree. It is what it is......nothing changes. And to me that's a good thing. The car (SGT) does retain a personality in an era of cars with none. Nothing is perfect, but that is easy for me to say, my scoops not so bad...

I just had my hood scoop replaced on my 07 two weeks ago and got that stripe crinkle that you are talking about. My dealer called SAI and of they told him that they had been aware of the problem. Apparently there has been a new hood scoop to fix this issue that has just come out within the last week. SAI told them this should take care of that issue. The new stripes and scope are on their way. SAI told the dealer to leave the car alone for three days prior to placing the new scoop on so that the stripes have time to cure. Once it gets here and done I will let you know the results.

Well, this is interesting for a number of reasons.

1. Your dealer shouldn't be talking to SAI but Ford Racing Warranty and SAI shouldn't be sending anything out to anyone.

2. Amy said she was unaware of the issue with the stripes yesterday so how can something have been created and built last week that she's not aware of for a problem she didn't know existed?

3. I was told there is no "other new scoop" and what I have, manufactured 3/10/08 is the only existing scoop, today.

I suspect your dealer is covering their butt with you trying to place the blame for the bad scoop install on some defect in the scoop rather than their installation. Now this will be at their expense BTW so watch out! First ask to see the parts when they come in! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! The stripes should be pre-cut and on a single sheet with the nozzle cut outs etc made by Ocal. The scoop will wrapped in a box etc. Cover yourself and don't just take their word for it that the parts are in! Here's what can happen to you. You bring the car in, they drill out the rivets, they match the stripes and re-stripe, and re-install the scoop! You're no worse for it and they just saved about $600 in parts charged back. Worse case at least put a mark on the existing scoop, maybe black sharpie mark under the front top lip?

Just speaking from experience here and a word to the wise!

To be fair this seems to be a rather overly difficult install but all information I have over the last week, conversations with SAI, Ford Racing, and Amy's posts, lead me to suspect your dealer made it up!

+1

I find it amazing that SAI is no longer doing warranty work. Are they now subbin the warranty work out?? Lost for words!

I find it amazing that SAI is no longer doing warranty work. Are they now subbin the warranty work out?? Lost for words!

They aren't authorized to do Ford Warranty repairs. In fact in a discussion last week I had with Jon at Ford Racing he was adamant that SAI should not be sending out any parts etc., to anyone for anything. That it all had to go through him and then be done at an authorized service provider. He left little wiggle room in my mind and that may be what SAI was told by Ford as well.

They aren't authorized to do Ford Warranty repairs. In fact in a discussion last week I had with Jon at Ford Racing he was adamant that SAI should not be sending out any parts etc., to anyone for anything. That it all had to go through him and then be done at an authorized service provider. He left little wiggle room in my mind and that may be what SAI was told by Ford as well.

This is a bummer, I would rather drill and rivet my own hood, than the dealer. I would really prefer SAI to do it above all. How they cannot repair a part they installed that is a SAI (manufactured by who I don't know) can't buy it without a vin# part is difficult for me to understand...

This is a bummer, I would rather drill and rivet my own hood, than the dealer. I would really prefer SAI to do it above all. How they cannot repair a part they installed that is a SAI (manufactured by who I don't know) can't buy it without a vin# part is difficult for me to understand...

I deal with similar issues all the time at work. I'm sure this is a nice combination of, legal, liability, accounting and SOX compliance. In this post Enron world things are just not as easy as they used to be!

I said there was "a fix" NEVER said this was the "FINAL fix"...don't read what you want to read!

My point is, when done right with a good scoop, there is a fix that for me was FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than living with old warped and lifting scoop. I'm no longer have to worry about people pointing out the scoop etc. Holes and all it was worth it! You may not think so!

Jeff, I respectively disagree. If you say "there is a fix", unless you use the words "temporary", or "potential", or clarify that the fix is for special cases, "there is a fix" means just that, i.e., it implies that it is a final fix. I read what I read.

This is a good example of confusion caused by SAI not communicating this issue in the proper, professional manner.

Having said that, I am done with this thread, so you will see no further replies from me regarding this scoop issue. I will file my warranty claim with my dealer and watch, wait and lurk.

Jeff, I respectively disagree. If you say "there is a fix", unless you use the words "temporary", or "potential", or clarify that the fix is for special cases, "there is a fix" means just that, i.e., it implies that it is a final fix. I read what I read.

This is a good example of confusion caused by SAI not communicating this issue in the proper, professional manner.

Having said that, I am done with this thread, so you will see no further replies from me regarding this scoop issue. I will file my warranty claim with my dealer and watch, wait and lurk.

From Amy's post:

"The fix was the rivits."

I just go by what is said and don't claim to know if something is final or otherwise. I REALLY try not make a statement as if I know anything. So I will not say things like "Final" etc., I don't know, but I do know there is a fix, that worked for me, except the dip. I also know this same fix, and cars from SAI, have an issue with the same install.

What do you do? Who do you believe? I think everyone has to make their own choice BUT EVERYONE, I think, should file a warranty claim.

This SUCKS---my original hood scoop had no dip but had caused damage to the stripe so I had to have my stripes replaced on the hood, then the dealer noted that the hood scoop had the same problem as the stripes so ordered a new one. Put the new scoop on Friday and the new one has a fricken dip in it. I have been without the car for 15 days now and got it back for this weekend and now on Monday it goes back in again to wait for another hood scoop.

Starting to sound to me like there is to bureaucracy's involved. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing apparently. This has turned into circus and SOMEBODY needs to get their $hit together.

Spin it anyway you want, but it's a a very poor example of customer service by Ford Motor Company, Ford Racing and S.A.I....

Carry on gentlemen

This SUCKS---my original hood scoop had no dip but had caused damage to the stripe so I had to have my stripes replaced on the hood, then the dealer noted that the hood scoop had the same problem as the stripes so ordered a new one. Put the new scoop on Friday and the new one has a fricken dip in it. I have been without the car for 15 days now and got it back for this weekend and now on Monday it goes back in again to wait for another hood scoop.

What do you mean by "dip"? Are you talking about the prominent line going across the scoop about 3" up from the front or a depression that's oval in shape in the middle?

Perhaps he's talking about the Quality Control Manager at SAI....... :o

Can't be! If there is one thing I'm absolutely sure of it's that there is no QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER at SAI. If there was, you wouldn't see brand new '08's on dealer floors with dips and wrinkled stripes and rivets at odd angles to the scoops.

Someone mentioned that perhaps SAI shouldn't notify everyone that they were aware of the scoop problems and a fix is in progress because some owners are unaware and obviously don't care. So why should SAI care? Simple. It's something called pride in workmanship. It's something called Quality Control. So what if the individual owner, who may not be a car guy, hasn't noticed. Others notice. You see a Shelby with a crappy fitting hood scoop or wrinkled stripes and what do you think? Good looking car but really crappy quality control. Sad, really sad and I'd think Mr. Shelby would be concerned as well. I was surprised yesterday when I read that Amy was totally unaware of the wrinkled stripe issue with the new "FIX". We've only been complaining about it here for what, 2 or 3 months now? That's hard to imagine.

Oh well, it's just a car. Correction, it's a car that says Shelby all over it and it shouldn't be having these problems over and over and over and....

Jim

Archived