TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Route 66 trip

lr66

(sorry for the off-topic thread, I just wanted all of your opinions, from the people I "know") :yahoo:

Just got the news I'm gonna be a Daddy again!!!! :happy feet: #3 curtain climber!!! :play:

Every year my wife and I try to go on a 3 or 4 day trip somewhere on our anniversary. (Seattle, San Francisco, etc.)

This year, being the last one we can do for a few years, we wanted to do something a little more exciting. We planned a 5 day cruise, but found out we can't go because the cutoff date for a pregnancy on a cruise (24 weeks or something like that) is one week too early for us. :shrug:

So we are trying to plan an alternate trip and have considered driving our SGT on a Route 66 trip, probably from AZ to IL.

My wife will be about 25 weeks along at the time we can go (June). It might be WAY too much seat time for her :barf: , but it would give us some great time to just talk, explore, and be together for a few days.

Any opinions? Any of you live along the route and could tell me anything about it would be appreciated. Any of you care to join us for a stretch?

Or....any other ideas for a good vacation/trip?

Congratulations. I have only done 66 from California to Seligman, AZ. I enjoyed it, but from what I have read there is a lot of going back to the regular highway since part of the old road is gone. I would think it would be a little hard on your wife, especially in hot weather. Have you tried the Oregon coast? Very nice drive and there is a place called the Tututun Lodge near Gold Beach that is really great. We went last summer and are going back again in July. Whatever you do, have a great time.

Route 66 runs right through Tulsa, so if you're planning on taking the trip in June you could plan a stop at the Mid-America meet - and no trip along 66 through tulsa is complete without seeing the Blue Whale. In Arizona, I'd strongly recommend stopping at the Snow Cap Drive-In in Seligman for a burger (it's one of the Rte 66 landmarks), but Seligman is between Kingman and Flagstaff so it'd be out of you way depending on where you'd start. You might want to check out http://www.route66university.com/ for other ideas.

Matt

We did the Route 66 in AZ for about 100 miles. That's all we could stand and jumped back on the big road. 65 mph speedlimits and rough roads took it's toll pretty quick in the Shelby.

We then went up to te Grand Canyon but the roads are so bad trying to get there we could only go to the tourist areas. The washboard roads were horrible and the SGT couldn't handle them.

Lonny, that is incredible news. Congratulations!

As for the road trip, as awesome as that sound, my first thought is that it would be a lot of sore back time. Anyway I wish you the best. I hope you can still make Tulsa.

Thank you all. We are VERY excited about the new addition.

Good point about the condition of the road Stump, wouldn't want to shake everything apart!

If I weren't able to make Tulsa, has there been any word on the event in Vegas planned for the fall?

CONGRATULATIONS!

How about a little Pacific Coast Hwy, heading North from San Fran. I heard its beautiful and there are B& B'S with beautiful ocean views to stop and stay over if she needs to chill mid-trip.

Great idea, one of the greatest weeks of my life (also an anniversary trip) was spent in SF and on the PCH in a GT-H cruising through the wine country. Couldn't stop smiling for 3 days!

CONGRATULATIONS!

How about a little Pacific Coast Hwy, heading North from San Fran. I heard its beautiful and there are B& B'S with beautiful ocean views to stop and stay over if she needs to chill mid-trip.

+1

From San Franciso up to Bodega Bay and/or Fort Bragg. Absolutely beautiful. If you're in that neck of the woods, try a jaunt over to Mt. Shasta. Like no other place else on Earth! On your way back, swing through Carson City, over the hump to Lake Tahoe.

Congratulations and all the best of luck

Dan

Archived