TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Color And Strip Questions

Harrek

I've got to finalize my order for my late year delivery GT500 this week. I'm going with a convertible and am leaning towards the Torch Red or Grabber Orange. I was curious what stripe colors people would go with on either of them (white/silver on the red, white/tungsten on the orange)? I figured white on the red for sure. But not sure on the orange color choice. I don't think the tungsten makes enough of a contrast to the orange and was leaning towards white. But I have had others comment that the tungsten looks more classic.

Also, I really like the look of the stripes down the center of the car as well (even with the convertible). What opinions would you have on adding them to the convertible by the dealer after delivery as they can't come that way stock? Has anyone else thought of doing this? If I could break up the orange with the center stripes, then I would definetly be leaning much more heavily towards it as a color choice. This car will basically only be out with top down, so lack of stripes across the roof would not be seen often, and even with the roof up I don't think lack of them would look bad.

Any thoughts out there?

I wish stripes were available on the verts too. I think it looks too plain without them. If I were getting a vert, I'd add over the top stripes in the aftermarket. I am in the same delimma on colors (either red with white stripes or grabber orange with tungsten or white stripes). I keep going back and forth ... oh the stress!

I like the stripes on the vert as well. You could probably order them from TeamFord. I would consider getting a local sign and graphics shop to put them on, rather than the dealer. Unless you want it to look exactly like the factory hard top stripes, you might consider getting the stripes from the graphic shop, rather than Ford. They could probably make it look better around the hood vents and the tag than Ford does. Probably wouldn't cost more than $500.

Mainly the tag area. I think some of the people who had their 05's striped got them striped behind the tag where they looked more finished. Almost like they were painted. Even if I chose to purchase the stripe kit from Ford, I would probably put more confidence in someone who specializes in applying them rather than the dealer. Plus I think they would be more reasonable on the installation.

Mainly the tag area. I think some of the people who had their 05's striped got them striped behind the tag where they looked more finished. Almost like they were painted. Even if I chose to purchase the stripe kit from Ford, I would probably put more confidence in someone who specializes in applying them rather than the dealer. Plus I think they would be more reasonable on the installation.

The first mod to my GT500 was to tape-in the license plate pocket. It looks MUCH better. I went to a boating supply store (because none of the parts or paint stores had wide vinyl tape) and could only find 2" wide gloss White tape (wanted 4"). It was tedious, took two tries to get the pattern down for where to start, and where to end. But it was worth it.

What I learned is that 2" is probably the best choice because of the compound curves. I started on the surface where the plate bolts on and just did an outline around the oblong shape. Then I put on parallel layers from back (where the plate is) out toward the front (the outer surface of the bumper cover). Working slowly, and with pieces of tape no longer than 6 - 8" long, I was able to cover well and conform to the curves well. I finally matched up to the existing stipe at the outer edges last. It is not perfect, but from a few feet away it looks close enough for me to declare victory.

In the long term I expect to get some of the actual GT500 stripng since the boating tape is too White. Most women and a few men know there is no such thing as one White. The stripes on the GT500 are a bit off White - slightly Blueish to my eyes. So I will get some of the side stripes because that is closer to 2". I think using any of the over the roof striping sections will be a very challenging project, so I'll use the narrower stuff when I redo it, FWIW.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures yet, but my Red / White coupe looks more finished without the big Red oblong around the license, trust me.

The first mod to my GT500 was to tape-in the license plate pocket. It looks MUCH better. I went to a boating supply store (because none of the parts or paint stores had wide vinyl tape) and could only find 2" wide gloss White tape (wanted 4"). It was tedious, took two tries to get the pattern down for where to start, and where to end. But it was worth it.

What I learned is that 2" is probably the best choice because of the compound curves. I started on the surface where the plate bolts on and just did an outline around the oblong shape. Then I put on parallel layers from back (where the plate is) out toward the front (the outer surface of the bumper cover). Working slowly, and with pieces of tape no longer than 6 - 8" long, I was able to cover well and conform to the curves well. I finally matched up to the existing stipe at the outer edges last. It is not perfect, but from a few feet away it looks close enough for me to declare victory.

In the long term I expect to get some of the actual GT500 stripng since the boating tape is too White. Most women and a few men know there is no such thing as one White. The stripes on the GT500 are a bit off White - slightly Blueish to my eyes. So I will get some of the side stripes because that is closer to 2". I think using any of the over the roof striping sections will be a very challenging project, so I'll use the narrower stuff when I redo it, FWIW.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures yet, but my Red / White coupe looks more finished without the big Red oblong around the license, trust me.

Pictures would be NICE.

If I get a convertible, I'm getting stripes for over the top of the hood & truck area & the left over material from where the convertible top is will be used for the plate area. Thanks for the tip. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I had Team Ford quote the entire package & your looking at just over $1000 for the stripes (w/o being applied) that I will do myself since I know how.

I'm ordering the GO coupe and at first hoped the Tungsten stripes would be dark enough to pull off the "classic" look (which IMO is black on orange like the 69/70 Boss. I was very dissapointed when I saw the photo's and even my wife agreed strongly that the white stripes look much better with this particular shade of orange. Wish they offered it in black, though. But if I were getting the vert I'ld have the over-the-tops painted on.

I've got to finalize my order for my late year delivery GT500 this week. I'm going with a convertible and am leaning towards the Torch Red or Grabber Orange. I was curious what stripe colors people would go with on either of them (white/silver on the red, white/tungsten on the orange)? I figured white on the red for sure. But not sure on the orange color choice. I don't think the tungsten makes enough of a contrast to the orange and was leaning towards white. But I have had others comment that the tungsten looks more classic.

Also, I really like the look of the stripes down the center of the car as well (even with the convertible). What opinions would you have on adding them to the convertible by the dealer after delivery as they can't come that way stock? Has anyone else thought of doing this? If I could break up the orange with the center stripes, then I would definetly be leaning much more heavily towards it as a color choice. This car will basically only be out with top down, so lack of stripes across the roof would not be seen often, and even with the roof up I don't think lack of them would look bad.

Any thoughts out there?

My opinion is Grabber O and White. Those are the colors I picked. Mine is on a rail car to me right now to be picked up Friday I hope.... I have seen too much Red / White in ads, posters, prints, deliveries so far etc. It is a very popular and great looking color but I don't want mine to look like the majority. I have seen only 1 Grabber / White coupe delivery posted here so far. I keep going back to the old muscle car days when Hugger Orange for GM and Grabber Orange for Ford was the big deal. I am not into sleepers. I want a hot car to look hot. Pick the color YOU want, nothing else matters.

I can't believe those are that high. When 05's came out people on Brad's site were getting there cars striped for $300-$400 for materials and labor. $1000 uninstalled would make me paint!

agreed... That's a bit high for just the stripe kit, but then maybe they have overpriced it to discourage people from buying the stuff to make regular Mustangs look like a Shelby. That or maybe its inflated to generate a bigger profit margin to make up some of those 2nd QTR losses...

At that price, though, I've got a paint shop that can add my stripes (painted on) and make them look better.

Archived