TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It felt like a scene from Vanishing Point, but.....

VNMOUS1

Just spotted the first Shelby we have seen on the road here in St. Charles, MO.

It was a Vista Blue, Vert with no stripes. At a light, rolled down the windows, said, "Niiiiiccccceeeee, ours is on order," and just couldn't say anything else, my eyes glazed over!

It must be love!

If you stand 5 feet away it's spectacular. If you have 20/650 vision it's spectacular. If you've got more money than brains it's spectacular.

On a 100% scale I'm about 60% satisfied with it. They'll fix it...I've already spoken to Ford.

:shift:

bj

Thanks man. I do not have 20/650 or more money than brains. So, I think I will manage it. Appreciate the feedback! I am due to take delivery anytime. Ford Cust Svc confirmed my car is built and awaiting shipment. Woo Hoo!

No...and like a bat outta hell.

I like the contrast of the dark interior better. I drove the car 450+ miles to get it home and put 200 on it yesterday. Had it to 5 grand at WOT a couple of times. You can most certainly tell what the traction control does! I know the normal person will get better times at the track with it, but it's more fun without it. It was reallllllllll hard not to line it up yesterday, but alas I was merely a spectator.

bj

VERY COOL!!! :party:

Service Mgr says, you're not going to want to drive this in the rain! I asked whynot. He said "see those two manholes on the hood? I washed the car and the motor was absolutely soaked!" So...that's something we never discussed on here!! I'll put a couple of squares of trash bag over the holes when I wash it to minimized the engine bay detailing necessary, but he's right about rain....not that I care, but he's right. It's my daily driver. I can have rain, snow, locusts, whatever. I can always clean it.

WRONG! I've washed my 500 4 times THROUGH A COMMERICAL, HANDS ONLY CAR WASH (OMG), and I (being concerned about water intrusion through heat vents) immediately lifted the hood to see if or how much water intruded into the engine compartment through the vents. NOT ONE DROP HITS THE ENGINE. The vents are placed in such a manner that the water goes through them and falls between the water pump and radiator and to the ground. So Mr. Service Manager is making an assumption without checking what really happens when the car gets wet. So forget the plastic bags and wash your car with ease and drive it in the rain if you want to.

Service Mgr says, you're not going to want to drive this in the rain! I asked whynot. He said "see those two manholes on the hood? I washed the car and the motor was absolutely soaked!" So...that's something we never discussed on here!! I'll put a couple of squares of trash bag over the holes when I wash it to minimized the engine bay detailing necessary, but he's right about rain....not that I care, but he's right. It's my daily driver. I can have rain, snow, locusts, whatever. I can always clean it.

WRONG! I've washed my 500 4 times THROUGH A COMMERICAL, HANDS ONLY CAR WASH (OMG), and I (being concerned about water intrusion through heat vents) immediately lifted the hood to see if or how much water intruded into the engine compartment through the vents. NOT ONE DROP HITS THE ENGINE. The vents are placed in such a manner that the water goes through them and falls between the water pump and radiator and to the ground. So Mr. Service Manager is making an assumption without checking what really happens when the car gets wet. So forget the plastic bags and wash your car with ease and drive it in the rain if you want to.

Good isight, thanks...

:ohsnap:

I just hate it when that happens

when people don't know what they are talking about but then proclaim that they are experts. what's worse is when others believe them, and then they spread their lack of knowledge as if it were fact.

:ohsnap:

I just hate it when that happens

when people don't know what they are talking about but then proclaim that they are experts. what's worse is when others believe them, and then they spread their lack of knowledge as if it were fact.

Wow, Mr. Awatters, sorry to let you down. I'll see if I can't cut back on the "believing and spreading".

With that addressed, I'm glad others found my "blog" helpful and/or interesting. I'm out of town on business while the car sits in the garage. Haven't surfed or posted since this I'm living off a Treo. But, hey, it's working for this quick note.

Note to Robert-

I received some emails that said the pic of the car and granddaughter were prominently displayed for a day or so. Thanks. There goes my 15 minutes of fame!

Take care, all. Back with you tomorrow.

bj

Wow, Mr. Awatters, sorry to let you down. I'll see if I can't cut back on the "believing and spreading".

With that addressed, I'm glad others found my "blog" helpful and/or interesting. I'm out of town on business while the car sits in the garage. Haven't surfed or posted since this I'm living off a Treo. But, hey, it's working for this quick note.

Note to Robert-

I received some emails that said the pic of the car and granddaughter were prominently displayed for a day or so. Thanks. There goes my 15 minutes of fame!

Take care, all. Back with you tomorrow.

bj

was talking about the Service Mgr that Son of GT was quoting

Great Story!!I work for a Ford dealer in Richmond,B.C. Canada and your story is exactly what is happening as I update the 15 new Shelby owners with serial numbers and arrival dates.In Canada we've only had SVT since 1996 and I've had the pleasure of deliverying some very special cars over the years.I just delivered the first Shelby in western Canada last week and the reaction is great.Even non car junkies seem to like to talk and ask about the car.The 15 new owners on my list I seem to know them like old friends as I try to field all the Questions.I have already sold my 2008 inventory and have a half a dozen on the wish list without deposits if allocation changes for the better.Were a MSRP dealer and proud of it when I hear of the horror storys about upping the price dramatically.Love your story,I must say I love making the arrival call as they wet themselves on the other end of that phone.I love the car myself but can't afford 2 toys at the moment my full blown harley I've been customizing for 10 years now is the only toy for now,good luck with your car.ScottSVTGUY

• 2 weeks later...

You ABSOLUTE lucky dog! I've been drooling over the idea of a 2005 body style Cobra, since the Mustang GT concept was revealed back in '03! I'm a late started 32 year old that just got married, and I'll probably be graduating with my Batchelors in the next 2 years or so. My wife is on board with me getting a Cobra (some day), but I'm worried that I won't have the chance. I LOVE this "retro" body style, as it resembles my first loved car from childhood, the '64 Mustang. From what I've been reading about the next body style change for the Mustang in 2008, according to Motor Trend, all of the body panels will be changed, and it will look "less retro". This is the Cobra model I want, but by the time I'm able to afford it, I'll be paying through the nose for a USED "collectable". I know this may sound whiney, but I want a never driven new one! Oh well. I suppose I'm not the only one in this pickle.

At any rate, VNMOUS1, (great name) I'm jealous. No offense, but I hope I don't have to wait until I'm a grandfather before I can afford a Cobra of my own.

Congrats on your new baby Cobra!

- Josh

Got the call from the dealer yesterday morning. There was a transport in his lot with a driver that had been there since 4am. He said he wasn't leaving THIS one on the doorstep and stayed with the car til they opened!

Great dealership, great people: Quality Ford in Princeton KY. Allyn Moore and Todd Bradford (Allyn is the owner, Todd the Sales Mgr). They have been just awesome through the entire process. So, they have no Saturday service and it could get a PDI. I bribed the service manager to come in and do it (with a wad of dough and he took his wife out for a great dinner last night). Here's the sequence:

11:00am Call from dealer

11:00:30am I wipe up after myself

11:02am I break into uncontrollable tears when I hear it can get PDI'd

11:02:01am I start coming up with an answer to this problem

11:05am Return call from dealer saying the bribe worked...come get it

11:06am Pack some crap in a bag and head to O'Hare

1:50pm Wheels up via American Airlines

3:00pm Land at Nashville

3:10pm Already in rental car, and have left airport (Thanks Hertz #1 Gold!!!)

4:51pm Arrive dealer in Princeton, KY (Try Mapquest and YOU do the math. I beat the BeJesus out of a Hyundai

at an incredible rate of speed that I'll never get to duplicate in the Shelby 'cause it's Arrest-Me Red.

4:53pm Pick lower jaw off floor after seeing it. Hear muted laughter and talking from bystanders

5:21pm Deal done, BEL RX 65 Pro and Magellan 800 in window, "let's hit it".

5:22pm Cross street to AutoZone for a little wax for the front to help remove bugs later.

5:23pm AutoZone employee carrying battery to lady's car stops in his tracks, puts down battery and goes

back into store. 5 seconds later every person in the store has surrounded my car. I buy wax,

head to shady spot, apply coat and boogie.

6:30pm (see photo) Got to see my grandkids in southern IL on the way through!!!!

10:00pm Stop in Effingham Illinois to see new friends at another dealership. About 10 people there to see it.

They chipped bugs off front air dam and windshield so the could take pix.

10:45pm Back on I-57 north

3:15am The Eagle Had Landed. My wife and daughter absolutely freaked when they saw it.

9:30am Washed, re-waxed front. Let's ride!!!!!!

Observations:

MUCH smoother, quieter and "planted" than I could ever imagine. Fit, finish, detail was outstanding. Stripes absolutely suck. Certainly not worth my 1.5 month wait (car was produced 6/27/06) Overlaps, bubbles, just horrendous, but that why I have a warranty. BTW, Mr "I'm not leavin' it here" did manage to nick the front air dam getting it off the truck, but no biggie.

Power is just plain linear. I drove 450 miles last night and varied it 60/70/80/70/60 all night. After 250, I ran it about 1/2 trottle to 4,000 on the on ramps. By the time I got home, I kicked it in tha ass just a touch. THIS is gonna be a hoot! (The wife says, no golf today big boy, we're cruising all day)

Interior upgrade is a no-brainer. MUCH nicer. Only Helen Keller would need a Shaker 1000. I work in radio, have the music of a 14 year old daughter and I'm a drummer and the 500 can hurt my ears and do it cleanly. IF you buy the 1000, you're only doing it for the weight distribution or some sort of bizarre thought that it'll be worth more when you sell it as a collectable (not likely).

I've had these same tires on a C5, and these are soooo much quieter becaue of the lack of the big open hatch on a Vette.

Everything about the car looks SO much more dramatic than it does in pix and print. I'm telling you, everyone that saw it was stunned.

More driving details later....here's one pic of the granddaughter and yours truly.

Gotta drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happy feet: :cheerleader::party: :bandance: :woohoo:

bj

Great Story!!I work for a Ford dealer in Richmond,B.C. Canada and your story is exactly what is happening as I update the 15 new Shelby owners with serial numbers and arrival dates.In Canada we've only had SVT since 1996 and I've had the pleasure of deliverying some very special cars over the years.I just delivered the first Shelby in western Canada last week and the reaction is great.Even non car junkies seem to like to talk and ask about the car.The 15 new owners on my list I seem to know them like old friends as I try to field all the Questions.I have already sold my 2008 inventory and have a half a dozen on the wish list without deposits if allocation changes for the better.Were a MSRP dealer and proud of it when I hear of the horror storys about upping the price dramatically.Love your story,I must say I love making the arrival call as they wet themselves on the other end of that phone.I love the car myself but can't afford 2 toys at the moment my full blown harley I've been customizing for 10 years now is the only toy for now,good luck with your car.ScottSVTGUY

Out of the 15 how many have you had serialized to date?

You ABSOLUTE lucky dog! I've been drooling over the idea of a 2005 body style Cobra, since the Mustang GT concept was revealed back in '03! I'm a late started 32 year old that just got married, and I'll probably be graduating with my Batchelors in the next 2 years or so. My wife is on board with me getting a Cobra (some day), but I'm worried that I won't have the chance. I LOVE this "retro" body style, as it resembles my first loved car from childhood, the '64 Mustang. From what I've been reading about the next body style change for the Mustang in 2008, according to Motor Trend, all of the body panels will be changed, and it will look "less retro". This is the Cobra model I want, but by the time I'm able to afford it, I'll be paying through the nose for a USED "collectable". I know this may sound whiney, but I want a never driven new one! Oh well. I suppose I'm not the only one in this pickle.

At any rate, VNMOUS1, (great name) I'm jealous. No offense, but I hope I don't have to wait until I'm a grandfather before I can afford a Cobra of my own.

Congrats on your new baby Cobra!

- Josh

Hey, being a grandfather is the cool thing about it. The kids drool over it (sometimes literally) and think papa is cool!

Include your location in your profile. You never know when someone around you may offer you a ride.

Welcome to the board.

bj

• 4 weeks later...

Out of the 15 how many have you had serialized to date?

Sorry I didn't get back to you I'm still trying to figure this site out.So far I've only had 5 serialized, Ford is super slow giving us cars.I should get 2 more this month.The unfortunate thing is a lot of my customers live in a cold climate and they will have to ship it in an enclosed trailer once the snow flys and put it under their Christmas tree until spring.Take care Scott

Archived