TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500 - Cursed? :)

walc

Just bought a new 2008 GT500, at Frederick Ford, in Seaford, DE, today.

It had about 26 miles on the odometer.

I got about 5 miles, down the road, and the check engine light came on, the heater was blowing cold air, the temp gauge redlined and it went into limp home mode.

So, back to the dealer to await opening of the service department, tomorrow.

WTF?

Is it cursed? :(

I got about 5 miles, down the road, and the check engine light came on, the heater was blowing cold air, the temp gauge redlined and it went into limp home mode.

WTF?

Could be just a computer cliche ,.

Do not drive it back to the dealership running like that. High heat like that can damage your motor.

I hope you did not damage it already!

That was how far and how long I drove from, and back to, the dealer.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. :o

WTF?

Check out my MIL LIGHT thread. I read through Ford's Service Info Manual and although it sounds like an overheat condition, because of the multiple faults indicating an overheated engine. The computer and it's sensors are designed to shut down the car before the overheat conditions gets worse. Could be many things, a stuck closed thermostat, no thermostat, back Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT), no oil (or the wrong oil), and so on. As long as it's not a engine mechanical, catistrophic failure and just some dumb sensory input, I wouldn't call it cursed. Think of it this way, better to find out now, while it's under warranty then when it is out of warranty. Worse, you store it, decide to unveil the machine and it not only won't start, but a hard engine light to boost. Make sure you note all of your experiences (i.e. broke car, service from the dealer, etc.) on your Ford survey. They listen, go back to the Flat Rock Plant and run through the plant to make sure it's not a subcontractor issue. Also, Ford doesn't want a black eye on one of their most prolific designs that keeps them in business. When you get your 500 back, drive it like any other because the warranty timeframes is only as good as your date vs. mileage.

Check out my MIL LIGHT thread. I read through Ford's Service Info Manual and although it sounds like an overheat condition, because of the multiple faults indicating an overheated engine. The computer and it's sensors are designed to shut down the car before the overheat conditions gets worse. Could be many things, a stuck closed thermostat, no thermostat, back Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT), no oil (or the wrong oil), and so on. As long as it's not a engine mechanical, catistrophic failure and just some dumb sensory input, I wouldn't call it cursed. Think of it this way, better to find out now, while it's under warranty then when it is out of warranty. Worse, you store it, decide to unveil the machine and it not only won't start, but a hard engine light to boost. Make sure you note all of your experiences (i.e. broke car, service from the dealer, etc.) on your Ford survey. They listen, go back to the Flat Rock Plant and run through the plant to make sure it's not a subcontractor issue. Also, Ford doesn't want a black eye on one of their most prolific designs that keeps them in business. When you get your 500 back, drive it like any other because the warranty timeframes is only as good as your date vs. mileage.

Airborne4162,

Thanks for the info, above, and on your MIL LIGHT thread.

It makes me feel better about the dealer finding, and fixing, the problem without any permanent damage to my new ( 36 miles total ) car.

:)

Good news.

The problem will be fixed tomorrow, as soon as parts are overnighted to my dealer.

The hose connection to one, of the two, coolant reservoirs was leaking.

Due to their being two reservoirs, I had some coolant circulating and the limp-home mode prevented any damage to the engine.

I'm really looking forward to driving my car, more than a few miles. :)

Good news.

The problem will be fixed tomorrow, as soon as parts are overnighted to my dealer.

Due to their being two reservoirs, I had some coolant circulating and the limp-home mode prevented any damage to the engine.

It's good to hear that your car will be fixed soon and that you can begin to enjoy it. I am glad it was not damaged and it's an easy fix.

They listen, go back to the Flat Rock Plant and run through the plant to make sure it's not a subcontractor issue. Also, Ford doesn't want a black eye on one of their most prolific designs that keeps them in business. When you get your 500 back, drive it like any other because the warranty timeframes is only as good as your date vs. mileage.

What are you talking about here, please explain...... "make sure it's not a subcontractor issue"?

Time frame? These cars come with a 5 year / 60,000 mile powertrain warranty & 3 year/ 36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty.

What are you talking about here, please explain...... "make sure it's not a subcontractor issue"?

Time frame? These cars come with a 5 year / 60,000 mile powertrain warranty & 3 year/ 36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Let us read the warranty coverage included with your car. Your NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights that vary from state to state. Under your New Vehicle Warranty if: - Your Ford vehicle is properly operated and maintained, and - was taken to a Ford dealershiop for warranted repair during the warranty period, then authorized Ford Motor Company dealers will, without charge, repair, replace, or adjust all parts on your vehicle that malfunction or fail during normal use during the applicable coverage period due to a manfacturing defect in factory-supplied material or factory workmanship. (skip a few paragraphs down on page 9 of your book). When making warranty repairs on your vehicle, the dealer will use Ford or Motorcraft parts or remanufactured or other parts that are authorized by Ford, at the discretion of Ford or the Ford dealership. These authorized parts usually contracted (and often subcontracted) to other specialized parts makers for Ford. Example: The connectors for all of your wiring, contracted (bought by Ford, sometimes designed by Ford, but built by someone else for Ford).

As far as mileage is concerned, see page 8 of your warranty book. Your right with 5/60K Powertrain, 3/36K Bumper to Bumper. You can also add in their 5/60K Safety Restraint System, 5/Unlimited Corrosion (Perforation only)...even though it states bumper to bumper, there are two places you must read to fully understand what is and what is not covered.

For the most part, it is as standard as they come now a days. There is even pro rata info based on mileage obtained for reimbursement of tires, but if you claim a faulty tire after 24,000 miles then you'll only receive 30% of it's value and you're on the hook for the rest.

As far as subcontractors go; not every part is built in the U.S. or by Ford. As long as Ford oversees the manufacturing (to an extent), by a partnering contractor, who himself might create yet another subcontractor to assist in creating that part then it can be consider a Ford product. For example; the transmission is made by TREMEC. TREMEC is based in mexico and is completely assembled in mexico. (See wikipedia and search this topic). Bottomline, even they can't build all the components, however, Ford oversees that operation and ships them back to the U.S. for integration into the product process when it's all said and done.

Hope you didn't think I meant substandard contractor? If that was the case, I wouldn't own two. An '08 GT500 and an old 70s Galaxie 500.

Good news.

Good to hear. These high tech SMART cars are at times a big $$$ saver.

A $19,500 motor is nothing to sneeze at so expect the most design protection available.

Get on the road and unleash the beast.

Let us read the warranty coverage included with your car. Your NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights that vary from state to state. Under your New Vehicle Warranty if: - Your Ford vehicle is properly operated and maintained, and - was taken to a Ford dealershiop for warranted repair during the warranty period, then authorized Ford Motor Company dealers will, without charge, repair, replace, or adjust all parts on your vehicle that malfunction or fail during normal use during the applicable coverage period due to a manfacturing defect in factory-supplied material or factory workmanship. (skip a few paragraphs down on page 9 of your book). When making warranty repairs on your vehicle, the dealer will use Ford or Motorcraft parts or remanufactured or other parts that are authorized by Ford, at the discretion of Ford or the Ford dealership. These authorized parts usually contracted (and often subcontracted) to other specialized parts makers for Ford. Example: The connectors for all of your wiring, contracted (bought by Ford, sometimes designed by Ford, but built by someone else for Ford).

As far as mileage is concerned, see page 8 of your warranty book. Your right with 5/60K Powertrain, 3/36K Bumper to Bumper. You can also add in their 5/60K Safety Restraint System, 5/Unlimited Corrosion (Perforation only)...even though it states bumper to bumper, there are two places you must read to fully understand what is and what is not covered.

For the most part, it is as standard as they come now a days. There is even pro rata info based on mileage obtained for reimbursement of tires, but if you claim a faulty tire after 24,000 miles then you'll only receive 30% of it's value and you're on the hook for the rest.

As far as subcontractors go; not every part is built in the U.S. or by Ford. As long as Ford oversees the manufacturing (to an extent), by a partnering contractor, who himself might create yet another subcontractor to assist in creating that part then it can be consider a Ford product. For example; the transmission is made by TREMEC. TREMEC is based in mexico and is completely assembled in mexico. (See wikipedia and search this topic). Bottomline, even they can't build all the components, however, Ford oversees that operation and ships them back to the U.S. for integration into the product process when it's all said and done.

Hope you didn't think I meant substandard contractor? If that was the case, I wouldn't own two. An '08 GT500 and an old 70s Galaxie 500.

Nice long answer, but I'm an automotive engineer that already knew the answer but wanted to understand your logic for an overheating/limp home/check engine light & then saying it's could be a subcontractors problem.

Bottom line is Ford/Lincoln & Mercury handle all warrantee claims for their part suppliers no matter what country they are built in & then when the problem is diagnosed, parts are ordered if not in stock & then FoMoCo charges them back to the original supplier. he did the right thing by taking it back to the dealer, but they should have noticed that during the PDI if it was leaking that bad with only 26 miles on it.

Nice long answer, but I'm an automotive engineer that already knew the answer but wanted to understand your logic for an overheating/limp home/check engine light & then saying it's could be a subcontractors problem.

Bottom line is Ford/Lincoln & Mercury handle all warrantee claims for their part suppliers no matter what country they are built in & then when the problem is diagnosed, parts are ordered if not in stock & then FoMoCo charges them back to the original supplier. he did the right thing by taking it back to the dealer, but they should have noticed that during the PDI if it was leaking that bad with only 26 miles on it.

Congradulation on your automotive engineering career. No one questioned returning the car back for warranty work. Doesn't really matter why it failed. Fact is 26 miles down the road it failed and that would make a "reasonable person" upset. Regardless of who made part or where it was built or even why it broke is besides the point. Leaking hose, faulty sensor, failed tire, make sure you the owner point that out on your Ford survey so they can internally find out it's cause and police themselves before someone else has to. If this fix is not to your satisfaction, then go to the NHTSA website and file a formal complaint at which time an investigator will take over. Just stating the legal facts as printed by your company.

...but they should have noticed that during the PDI if it was leaking that bad with only 26 miles on it.

After the PDI, the car was driven, by the dealer, a few miles to his garage, at home. That's where it was brought from, when I bought it. Today, the service mgr said the owner saw fluid, on his garage floor, when he got home after my problem occurred and I took it back. Today, the owner told the tech and that's how he quickly found the problem.

Usually, I don't have a high opinion of PDI's; but, I figure the PDI tech tried to do a through job, since the boss was taking the car home.

I'm just glad the problem became evident so quickly after I took delivery. It was easy to get back to the dealer and I didn't have my car long enough to miss it yet. :shift:

Auto manufacturers have been using sub contractors for years. My uncle worked for A O Smith in Milwaukee from 1939 until he retired in the early 70s. They made frames for every line and for overseas as well. Sagina was the sole supplier of steering gear boxes for years, bendix had the lock on starters and generators....the list goes on and on. Not a new concept.

Congradulation on your automotive engineering career. No one questioned returning the car back for warranty work. Doesn't really matter why it failed. Fact is 26 miles down the road it failed and that would make a "reasonable person" upset. Regardless of who made part or where it was built or even why it broke is besides the point. Leaking hose, faulty sensor, failed tire, make sure you the owner point that out on your Ford survey so they can internally find out it's cause and police themselves before someone else has to. If this fix is not to your satisfaction, then go to the NHTSA website and file a formal complaint at which time an investigator will take over. Just stating the legal facts as printed by your company.

This is not a new problem but an old problem left over from 2007. The clamps used are a spring compression type & not like the old screwdriver worm gear hose clamps that you would think they would use. The problem is normally due to the install at the factory. try going to this link & see how they put the motor in on the line & you'll see that they have alot to do in a very short amount of time (around 48 sec.) per car. Human error, not a part supplier issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Got my GT500, back, today.

It is A-OK. :yahoo:

That's good to hear. Hope mine has the same results. Going into the dealer tommorow for a coolant leak(was leaking when I got home from the dealer after taking delivery). Hope it makes the 12 mile drive without loosing too much. I though all my headaches were finally over after searching for weeks to find the car in the color I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. I hope this is over tommorow and I can drive the damn thing.

That's good to hear. Hope mine has the same results. Going into the dealer tommorow for a coolant leak(was leaking when I got home from the dealer after taking delivery). Hope it makes the 12 mile drive without loosing too much. I though all my headaches were finally over after searching for weeks to find the car in the color I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. I hope this is over tommorow and I can drive the damn thing.

I feel your pain. :cry:

From what I've read, on this forum, the clamp design is defective or unsuitable for the application.

The good news is that mine was fixed, in a day, and it's running fine 500 miles and 2 weeks later.

Good luck! :)

Archived