TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Watts Link?

BOSS427

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HelloGents?New to the forum.Just wondering if anyone has tried the Watts Link that Evoperformance sells?.If so I would be interested in any feedback.Thanks,Richard.

I have it installed on my car. It is probably the best single suspension mod you can do to your car IMO. The car will act and feel very much like it has independent suspension. Much better over a bumpy road especially in the turns and it will track nice and straight when accelerating off the line too. Ride quality is also improved IMO.

Here's a link to my suspension mods so far...

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462

I have it installed on my car. It is probably the best single suspension mod you can do to your car IMO. The car will act and feel very much like it has independent suspension. Much better over a bumpy road especially in the turns and it will track nice and straight when accelerating off the line too. Ride quality is also improved IMO.

Can you give some info on the Watts link? Where to get, how to install?

Thanks

Can you give some info on the Watts link? Where to get, how to install?

Thanks

Try a search. There are five or so threads dealing with it. Three Cobras started a very good one. Try Fays2 for the key word. That is just one brand but it should get you to most of the watts link discussions.

Try a search. There are five or so threads dealing with it. Three Cobras started a very good one. Try Fays2 for the key word. That is just one brand but it should get you to most of the watts link discussions.

off topic but had to say I love the look of your car! Very Nice!!!

Any issues with the Saleen Watt's system and breakage of the cast aluminum diff. cover?

How about leakage? Sure like the sanitary application.

I haven't read anything on the diffirential cover. Somebody posted a while ago there was a recall on the Saleen Parnelli Jones cars related to the watts link. Try searching for it. I don't remember the details.

I haven't read anything on the diffirential cover. Somebody posted a while ago there was a recall on the Saleen Parnelli Jones cars related to the watts link. Try searching for it. I don't remember the details.

They added a support bar to the kit which connected one side of the frame to the other to replace the OEM panhard bar support which is removed along with the panhard bar itself.

The whole installation looks very factory like when finished that's one of the reasons I went with it.

Hey there,

The recall was to add a support bar to the system - nothing to do with the diff cover. The diff cover is a heafty piece - dont see any issues with that. JDM Engineering sells the Watts link - they are the first Saleen Speedlab. Give them a call (732-780-0770). Ask for Jim Jr - Tell him Page sent ya :)

Page

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got it all in along with lowering springs.Feels like different car.Bang for the buck add-on.FYI in the instructions there is no mention of the cross bar add on and was told that it bolts in place of the old panhard?NOT.Anyway thanks for the input .Richard.

Well I got it all in along with lowering springs.Feels like different car.Bang for the buck add-on.FYI in the instructions there is no mention of the cross bar add on and was told that it bolts in place of the old panhard?NOT.Anyway thanks for the input .Richard.

Which system did you use?

Other than lowering and the Saleen watts link, did you add anything else like LCAs, brackets, adjustable UCA????

Thanks

Saleen installed there Watts Link system on my 2007 Shelby GT500,when Speed-Lab up graded it for me.The little that I drove my GT500,it performance GREAT.I need too call them about the adding of the support bar to see if I need it. But it looks great and rides great,and handle's :rolleyes: great especially when you get on it,from a dead stop.Just my two-cent's.

Saleen installed there Watts Link system on my 2007 Shelby GT500,when Speed-Lab up graded it for me.The little that I drove my GT500,it performance GREAT.I need too call them about the adding of the support bar to see if I need it. But it looks great and rides great,and handle's :rolleyes: great especially when you get on it,from a dead stop.Just my two-cent's.

Does the Saleen Watts link help with wheel hop?

Im going to try using their Watts link on my 07 which will be lowered with the FRPP springs and dampers. I know control arms are a cheaper way to eliminate wheel hop but since I need to recenter my rear end after lowering anyway, I figured I will see a much larger improvement in handling and just regular old driving with the watts link vs installing some better control arms.

Control arms will be added if there is still the jack hammer hopping lol

I agree with iceman ..very nice car. Is it the hood for hertz shelbies? i thout it has golden strips.

No matter what yours is stunning.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?m...products_id=311

It comes with complete detailed installation instructions with pics. Very easy install too.

Here's a link to my suspension mods so far...

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462

I thought that jacking the car from the pumpkin is NO NO since it can cause the rear cover to bend and eventually leak. If same principle is applied here why the rear cover is used in this link as an anchor, i would think that it will be exposed to a lot of force, would that increase the chances of leak on the long run?

I thought that jacking the car from the pumpkin is NO NO since it can cause the rear cover to bend and eventually leak. If same principle is applied here why the rear cover is used in this link as an anchor, i would think that it will be exposed to a lot of force, would that increase the chances of leak on the long run?

Hey there,

Not your typical diff cover - pretty beefy piece actually.

Page

Hey there,

Not your typical diff cover - pretty beefy piece actually.

Page

Are the screws that connect this beefier cover beefier or they are stock, if the latter then my question is still valid...a lot of torsional force will be applied.

Are the screws that connect this beefier cover beefier or they are stock, if the latter then my question is still valid...a lot of torsional force will be applied.

The whole cover is beefier - nice and thick. Havent heard of any issues with the Saleen Watts Link as far as leaks go. Not an engineer here - but I know that a lot of engineering went into the design and development of the system.

The whole cover is beefier - nice and thick. Havent heard of any issues with the Saleen Watts Link as far as leaks go. Not an engineer here - but I know that a lot of engineering went into the design and development of the system.

What about FAYS2 it seems like a good set up too and doesn't rely on the rear cover..

I am (or used ta be) an engineer, and after reading all I could find about Watts links; a) That will be my first significant mod, and c) it will be a Fays2. (there is no "b", because if I type "b" it comes out like a smiley)

I like the Fays not only because it doesn't use the differential cover as a pivot, but because the center of the propeller (i.e., center of rotation) is fixed in relation to the chassis, not the axle. That just makes sense to me. That means your roll axis is going to remain fixed in relation to your butt, as opposed to where your differential happens to be at any particular instant.

Fine point, but still a point.

As far a wheel hop, I can't see where it would help all that much, other than it's just some more beef in the suspension.

I believe there was a recall on safteyissue with the Saleen Parnelli Jones because of Watt Link that was corrected later.

am quoting from the recall pdf

Saleen, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2007 S302 Parnelli Jones edition Mustangs. The Watt’s Link in these vehicles has been found to stress the chassis and linkage under extreme use to the point where it can induce a failure. This failure can result in vehicle instability. Saleen insists that all vehicles equipped with Watt’s Link suspension systems have this upgrade installed.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...07V502-6486.pdf

I would also mention that the problem was remedied.

Archived