TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Conv. Clone

SGT#3670

So much for the badges, side stripes and lettering not being available!

scoop looks good!

Wicked, would this not be a violation of the Shelby licensing rules? It would seem that to put "Shelby" on any Mustang, you had better have SAI's permission. Seriously, should this be forwarded to Amy. Besides being unfair to those of us who have real ones, it is a bad idea from a marketing point of view to have these clones out there. My two cents. Jim

Wicked, would this not be a violation of the Shelby licensing rules? It would seem that to put "Shelby" on any Mustang, you had better have SAI's permission. Seriously, should this be forwarded to Amy. Besides being unfair to those of us who have real ones, it is a bad idea from a marketing point of view to have these clones out there. My two cents. Jim

i think your right Jim, i pretty sure you CANT use the name without an agreement.

The fender badges came up on ebay not to long ago. dont remember how, but somebody got a few of them. the stripe is NOT a shelby stripe. they havent had a black striped SGT. someone just made a copy. Good idea, but i think its illegal

michael morris

where is the car at?

Looks like a California Special in disguise. Jim

No. It's regular GT. Remember a CS has the same rear and front fascias as we have. This is a GT with the optional scoop. Someone added the side scoops. Threw on the fender badges, had stripes made (easy to do), a GT500 spoiler, two sets of Shelby letters (the hood looks stupid like that) and some hood pins and some aftermatket grill.

I think it's ugly!

That car is far from being a clone!

It isn't even close.

Different hood scoop which is Factory from Ford.

Different grill which is factory from Ford.

The side scoops look to be the ones that SAI sells, but not the ones that come on the SGT factory from Ford.

It has a spoiler which the SGT does not have.

That car isn't remotely close to being a clone!

Its a GT Mustang with side scoops added, some badges and hood pins along with Shelby letters.

Just slapping Shelby letters on a car does not make it a clone.

If you want to see a clone take a look at this one. This is as close as you can get. Notice the RED car. The Blue car is mine and it is real. The red one is a GT Mustang.

If you are going to clone something at least do it right! :happy feet:

50.jpg

49.jpg

01.jpg

Can you say "Consumer Fraud"

Hello!!!

Consumer fraud????

And just exactly how do you figure that???

Are they advertising as a real Shelby? That is the only way it would be fraud. Advertising and claiming it is something it is not.

There is no fraud in making a car look like something as long as you are not trying to pass it off as being real.

Consumer fraud????

And just exactly how do you figure that???

Are they advertising as a real Shelby? That is the only way it would be fraud. Advertising and claiming it is something it is not.

There is no fraud in making a car look like something as long as you are not trying to pass it off as being real.

You are correct ShelbyDude...Can anyone provide info as to how it is advertised.

I would hate to see some uninformed consumer purchase this thinking he had a real Shelby.

You are correct ShelbyDude...Can anyone provide info as to how it is advertised.

I would hate to see some uninformed consumer purchase this thinking he had a real Shelby.

No dealer, at least not one that's going to be in busines long, is going to sell this as anything other than a GT they got in trade that the owner threw a bunch of stuff on. If I were the dealer I would take off the Shelby letters and side stripes. Creates more confusion and questions and it's not like you're getting any more for it. IMHO!

That car is far from being a clone!

If you want to see a clone take a look at this one. This is as close as you can get. Notice the RED car. The Blue car is mine and it is real. The red one is a GT Mustang.

I've seen different dealers, mostly in TX for some reason, selling GT500 clones. They order the parts and put them on. They look great when their done! Back when there was outragous ADMs if you wanted the "look", didn't care about it being a "real" Shelby or not, and didnt need the HP, it was a good way to go! Today it's not as compelling.

-jeff

The car is at a chevy dealership in Ohio, is used, and is not being advertised as a Shelby. I haven't seen any other mustang GT with the Shelby GT side stripes, nor the badges. So not an exact clone. I know I love the exclusively of my car but that is what CSM numbers are for. The inside does not have any badges and it looks custom as well. I will post pics soon.

This is not the first one I've seen. It's not hard to find several with some searching on the web and utube.

I got no problem with these people cloning our cars. It makes me feel proud as an owner. There is no problem if they are trying to market it as a Shelby as a quick lookup in the registry and comparing numbers will check them on this...that's what it's for.

Everybody has their prefs! Cheers! :snake:

So Shelbydude, that "close as you can get clone" pic you offered, is that a pic from your dealership floor? You are a dealer right?

And what did you guys advertise the car as?

Has it sold?

Just wondering, since you brought it up.

Yes, it is at our dealership. Our body shop did all the work.

It is advertised as a GT Mustang with a GT500 appearance package.

Was $40,610......now only $32,500 with rebates applied. You could not build one for this price. Plus the stripes over the top are PAINTED, not vinyl.

I take it the dealership had this G.T cloned , why would they do this is there that much of a market for acar like this? Any interior photos ?Looks like they did a good job.

Interior is stock. We did nothing to the inside.

It is an affordable alternative for some people that love the look but can't afford a real one.

Even at MSRP you can buy this for $12,500 less than a real one.

$32,500 with rebates. Was $40,610.

i think your right Jim, i pretty sure you CANT use the name without an agreement.

The fender badges came up on ebay not to long ago. dont remember how, but somebody got a few of them. the stripe is NOT a shelby stripe. they havent had a black striped SGT. someone just made a copy. Good idea, but i think its illegal

michael morris

where is the car at?

This is exactly why SAI should not be selling the letters, Shelby badges and Shelby stripes to anyone other than verified Shelby owners. If the letters can be purchased online, no one can stop anyone from cloning his own car. I think it only serves to diminish the brand name.

This is exactly why SAI should not be selling the letters and stripes to anyone other than verified Shelby owners. If the letters can be purchased online, no one can stop anyone from cloning his own car.

These cars have been cloned for years.

There are more clones of the older shelbys than there are of the real ones.

These cars have been cloned for years.

There are more clones of the older shelbys than there are of the real ones.

That's fine and true - but I still don't think its right. But hey, I'm only one stubborn guy.

Archived