TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 on a Kwiklift

portside

Here are some shots of my GT500 on a Kwiklift in my garage. Puts the chassis about 30" off the floor. Plenty of room for a creeper. I have already changed out my entire rear suspension in the first 3 weeks. If you get one of these, you'll spend more time under your car than in it during the winter.

post-120-1202868383_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868397_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868407_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868438_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868450_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868383_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868397_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868407_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868438_thumb.jpg

post-120-1202868450_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots of my GT500 on a Kwiklift in my garage. Puts the chassis about 30" off the floor. Plenty of room for a creeper. I have already changed out my entire rear suspension in the first 3 weeks. If you get one of these, you'll spend more time under your car than in it during the winter.

How does it lift off the ground?

How does it lift off the ground?

You drive up on the ramps and jack up the rear of the whole setup with the lift tube. Its hard to fully appreciate until you see it on their website. Go to Kwiklift.com and you can see how it works. Cost was $1716.00 to my business dock. It is large, and represents a pretty good commitment of garage space. Properly set up, it eliminates the fears of getting crushed by your car, or damaging your car by improper lifting.

Very Nice....but you can get a full 4 post lift for about the same price (assuming you have the height in your garage...) But even if you dont, you can lift the car higher than 30" (as high as you have room for.)

These work on a standard 120V outlet. It's what I have in my garage and LOVE IT! Clicky

Looks pretty neat. Why the wooden boards under the rear stands?

The builder of my home put a considerable slant in the concrete floor, slanting down toward the door. I use these boards to level the car on the lift when I was installing the new rear suspension setup. You would not need these with a level garage floor.

Very cool I have been looking at these for some time .. Seeing your pictures closed the deal fovrme. How difficult was the set up and were you able to transport it from the loading dock to your garage in a pickup.

Setup is not difficult, but the parts are HEAVY. It weighs about 650lbs in the crate. It will fit into a pickup truck bed, but it helps to have a friend help with the loading/unloading.

With my car on this lift, my hood (in the open position) just barely clears the ceiling in my standard 8' garage. You can raise the garage door with the car on the lift, but the trunk and hood have to be closed. It takes up less space than a 4 post lift, and it can be moved/disassembled fairly easily. It's not perfect, but I like it.

Looks nice... Def. might have to look into it. If you have the room, I would suggest looking into a hydraulic lift. I've seen them for around the same price plus shipping.

I have a car stacker & the nice think is you can standt under it & work on your car & i use it to store another car.

Looks nice... Def. might have to look into it. If you have the room, I would suggest looking into a hydraulic lift. I've seen them for around the same price plus shipping.

I have seen these lifts as well. In my standard 8' ceiling, 2 car garage, a 1500lb four post lift would dominiate the available space. In addition, it would not lift the car much higher due to overhead clearance. In my research, all of the <$2000.00 4 post lifts were made in China or some other country. The American made lifts were all above $3000. Maybe not that big of a deal to some, but I did not want to cheap out on such an important tool. Some of the cheap lifts may be quality products, but I have no way of knowing. Really, though, I made this decision based on available space. I would have saved longer and ponied up for a quality 4 post if I had the room. With an 8' ceiling, there will be no parking or standing under a stored car. The kwiklift can be moved/disassembled fairly easily, and is a good choice for those of us with limited space. Like most other people, I have to store trash cans, lawn mower, work benches, etc in my garage. I will definitely get a good 4 post lift if a 12' ceiling custom garage is ever in my future! You will notice that you see very few pictures of 4 post lifts in standard 8' garages, and for good reason.

For those who want a frame lift or 4 post lift and have a standard 8 foot ceiling and normal truss design. A contractor with some engineering can alter the trusses so that it can be done. Used frame lifts can be bought for about $1000.00 to $1300.00

A friend of mine did it and it worked out fine.

Very Nice....but you can get a full 4 post lift for about the same price (assuming you have the height in your garage...) But even if you dont, you can lift the car higher than 30" (as high as you have room for.)

These work on a standard 120V outlet. It's what I have in my garage and LOVE IT! Clicky

Yeah for the money a real lift makes more sense to me and they are the same money.

Looks nice! I like the modular design so that you can tuck it away against the wall when not in use. While I haven't researched this thoroughly, I would suspect that a 4-post lift has a bigger footprint and would translate into less space for my cars. I have 8-foot ceilings too in my 3-car garage so parking one on top of another with a 4-post would not be an option.

For those who want a frame lift or 4 post lift and have a standard 8 foot ceiling and normal truss design. A contractor with some engineering can alter the trusses so that it can be done. Used frame lifts can be bought for about $1000.00 to $1300.00

A friend of mine did it and it worked out fine.

The minimun ceiling height is 10 feet , for a four post lift I had a 9foot ceiling had to revamp ceiling joists, went to a local building suppler that gave me drawings made by their engineering group.The only problem I had was I had a one 10x 8 one piece garage door had to go with sectional & a close ceiling kit .

When I built my shop I did a 6 inch poor with fiber mesh 5500lb poor? I think and then used wire and rebar on 12 inch center 24 foot by 24 foot tied together on stands. Took nine of us to carry it in there. The 10,000 lb frame lift has had 8000 lb trucks on it with no problems. My shop doors are roll up.

The best set up is the frame lift for wheel removal. Any other type has limitations depending on what you want to do. The only disadvantage I have found with the frame lift is if you want to do body work on the rocker panel area. The supports are hard to work around.

As for removing the engine from the bottom? the frame lift is still your best option. And I would have to study it for a bit to decide which way up or down to go. Hopefully I won't have to do that any time soon or ever.

What I am concerned about is can you drop the engine out from underneath that lift or is the only way to do it with the 4 post style?

You won't drop your engine out underneath the car on a quicklift, without some serious creative thinking. Dropping the K member is very doable, as is about 98% of the rest of the things we do under our cars.

Archived