TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX4897 26 Months In The Making!

amaurid

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

For 2 years I have waiting for my Cobra 427 s/c to be built and I believe it or not I got the call last week that it will be ready at the end of the month. I noticed that one member had some production pictures of their ride, was anyone else able to get some as well? I remember that there used to be an owner's forum that was supposed to have some production information but I was never able to get anyone to respond to my requests to sign up.

I've got a Shelby 482ci short block from Keith Craft racing waiting for its home, I'll attach some photos as I move forward.

Amauri

:headspin:

For 2 years I have waiting for my Cobra 427 s/c to be built and I believe it or not I got the call last week that it will be ready at the end of the month. I noticed that one member had some production pictures of their ride, was anyone else able to get some as well? I remember that there used to be an owner's forum that was supposed to have some production information but I was never able to get anyone to respond to my requests to sign up.

I've got a Shelby 482ci short block from Keith Craft racing waiting for its home, I'll attach some photos as I move forward.

Amauri

As of 1/26/08

http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum/hstpics/DSC_0014.jpg

http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum/hstpics/DSC_0015.jpg

Amauri

Wow! I've been reading some on these (my next drool car).

First, does it really take over two years to get one of these built? What body did you get (alum, glass,carbon fiber)?

Second, there seem to be a whole bunch of rules associated with putting the engine in. Is it true you have to do it yourself?

Please keep us updated.

Wow! I've been reading some on these (my next drool car).

First, does it really take over two years to get one of these built? What body did you get (alum, glass,carbon fiber)?

Second, there seem to be a whole bunch of rules associated with putting the engine in. Is it true you have to do it yourself?

Please keep us updated.

Check with your dealer but figure at least a year.

Remember you are buying a component vehicle, not a completed automobile from the manufacturer. Hence....No engine "rules", per-se, more like vehicle registration hurtles. Some states have different regulations and automobile classifications than others. Again, check with the dealer. Depending on the dealer, they will be more than happy to install your driveline, again, anything you want. The S/C's are set up for FE's and the slabs and FIAs are ready for SBF.

Check with your dealer but figure at least a year.

Actually, it seems that SAI has worked the kinks out on building the fiberglass CSX cars. I mailed my deposit check to my dealer on November 1st. He waited for the check to clear before placing the order with SAI around the second week of November. Feburary 2nd I get a call that the car is finished and they need final payment, etc. I am currently working with a transport company arranging pickup in Las Vegas. :yahoo: :D

EDIT: May I present CSX4973 .... Still don't have an engine...

http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum/hstpics/DSC_0039.jpg

post-10707-1202834063_thumb.jpg

post-10707-1202834063_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh wow, I'm just drooling thinking about it. I'll get over it when I go to the pub after I leave work (10 more minutes tops).

Congrats!!!!!

Is this just the roller? Your sig pic looks like it is the empty engine compartment.

Have you chosen an engine yet?

Also, I might have asked but is this an aluminum body? Is that why it took so long?

Thanks for letting me be nosy. I've always wanted one of these. Every since I first heard Bill Cosby's "200MPH" routine.

Oh wow, I'm just drooling thinking about it. I'll get over it when I go to the pub after I leave work (10 more minutes tops).

Congrats!!!!!

Is this just the roller? Your sig pic looks like it is the empty engine compartment.

Have you chosen an engine yet?

Also, I might have asked but is this an aluminum body? Is that why it took so long?

Thanks for letting me be nosy. I've always wanted one of these. Every since I first heard Bill Cosby's "200MPH" routine.

Yes, this is just the roller, I was originally planning on restoring a muscle car but I simply do not have the room to do the job, so I started researching rolling chassis' and came across the cobra. Some things that I like about the cobra is the history, simplicity and in person, the car can take your breath away, pictures do not do them justice.

I chose an all aluminum shelby short block from Keith Craft Racing. Bore and stroke are both 4.25 and should provide about 482ci when completed. I also went with the Edlebrock FE Stage II heads with oversized valves. No other components have been purchased yet. Keith is very informative and was very helpful, they have a nice website, www.keithcraft.com

I ordered the fiberglass for 3 reasons, 1st: Price, the aluminum is almost $50,000 more. 2nd: The thin aluminum can be dented easily (I understand that if you lean too much on a fender, it can give and even collapse). 3rd: Fiberglass can be repaired easily if necessary. If money were not any issue, I'm not sure if I would choose the aluminum body, I could get another muscle car for that money. As far as the 2 1/2 years to get it, it could have something to do with my wanting HSA (Shelby's facility in Mexico) to build the car instead of Superformance, beyond that I'm not sure. I'm told now that the turn around time is 8 months.

Amauri

Yes, this is just the roller, I was originally planning on restoring a muscle car but I simply do not have the room to do the job, so I started researching rolling chassis' and came across the cobra. Some things that I like about the cobra is the history, simplicity and in person, the car can take your breath away, pictures do not do them justice.

I chose an all aluminum shelby short block from Keith Craft Racing. Bore and stroke are both 4.25 and should provide about 482ci when completed. I also went with the Edlebrock FE Stage II heads with oversized valves. No other components have been purchased yet. Keith is very informative and was very helpful, they have a nice website, www.keithcraft.com

I ordered the fiberglass for 3 reasons, 1st: Price, the aluminum is almost $50,000 more. 2nd: The thin aluminum can be dented easily (I understand that if you lean too much on a fender, it can give and even collapse). 3rd: Fiberglass can be repaired easily if necessary. If money were not any issue, I'm not sure if I would choose the aluminum body, I could get another muscle car for that money. As far as the 2 1/2 years to get it, it could have something to do with my wanting HSA (Shelby's facility in Mexico) to build the car instead of Superformance, beyond that I'm not sure. I'm told now that the turn around time is 8 months.

Amauri

Thanks for the update! Please continue to keep us update on your story. Shelby doesn't let many people take pictures. Maybe you can update us with the continuation of the power train.

In the universe of automobile "art" there have been, in my opinion, only two:

The Shelby Cobra.

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

(Both of these were at the Shelby American Collection in Gunbarrell (Boulder), CO in January; hope to see you all there on Saturday).

The Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

DSC_0237.jpg

(It was for sale at the Imperial Palace for only $650K, which might have been a bargain).

In that order.

All others are just cars. [Mea culpa.]

• 3 months later...

Greetings again,

Well at this point I'm into the meat and potatoes of this project. I'm surprised at the lack of technical information available from the "Mother Ship" on the Cobra's, its not for the faint of heart. Want to know what the toggle switches on the dash are for? The process for installing the engine, exhaust system, transmission? There is no build manual with these cars, you are basically on your own to find the information as you go along. I'm grateful to have Keith from Keith Craft Racing for the engine side and a former employee of the "Mother Ship" to help me along. I'm trying to document as I go along and perhaps a build manual will emerge. Right now I'm installing the heads on the Shelby all aluminum big block (I'll have photos soon). I also did not like the wiring mounted over the passenger foot box so I am relocating the voltage regulator and starter relay under the dash. I relocated the horns as well and plan to hide all wiring and soldered all of the crimp connectors in the engine bay to avoid bad connections.

I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Amauri

Greetings again,

Well at this point I'm into the meat and potatoes of this project. I'm surprised at the lack of technical information available from the "Mother Ship" on the Cobra's, its not for the faint of heart. Want to know what the toggle switches on the dash are for? The process for installing the engine, exhaust system, transmission? There is no build manual with these cars, you are basically on your own to find the information as you go along. I'm grateful to have Keith from Keith Craft Racing for the engine side and a former employee of the "Mother Ship" to help me along. I'm trying to document as I go along and perhaps a build manual will emerge. Right now I'm installing the heads on the Shelby all aluminum big block (I'll have photos soon). I also did not like the wiring mounted over the passenger foot box so I am relocating the voltage regulator and starter relay under the dash. I relocated the horns as well and plan to hide all wiring and soldered all of the crimp connectors in the engine bay to avoid bad connections.

I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Amauri

Awesome! How long do you think before you fire it up???

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived