TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Found a GREAT STRIPE CLEANER!!

GTH298

After trying everything that the supermarkets and hardware stores have for vinyl, plastic, or fiberglass cleaners, including Mother's Plastic Cleaner and Polish....... a neighbor of mine came over with a special cleaner that he sells to auto dealerships to clean plastic headlights, bumpers, and STRIPES ! He cleaned a couple spots of my stripes ( which are VERY badly spotted and stained ) and the places where he cleaned, look GREAT. Take a look at the pics.

I will work on cleaning the rest of the stripes oved rthe next few weeks and I will take more pics. The cleeaner was easy to use and then he put a polish over on after he cleaned the area.

If anyone is interested, he only sells to dealerships but, maybe we can work out some sort of deal with him.

I tried to load the pics but they exceed the size limit. I will try to size them down and repost later.

2/17/1008

OK...I think I have the answer as best I can get it. I cleaned one stripe and left the other one as is so you can see the difference. The picture of the roof stripe has a reflection in the middle which make it look discolored.

1) First wash the stripes with a good car wash cleaner.

2) I use a soft cream cleanser called Kaboom to clean off all the heavy "junk" on the stripes (mine are VERY bad!)

3) Once the stripes are clean and you feel like you have as much of the spotting and discoloration off, use a product called "Severe Shower Door, Tile, Tub, & Boat Cleaner Restorer" to pull the rest of the spotting and to even up the coloration. Goes on like a wax and takes some "elbow grease" to get the right results. Wipe off the residue.

4) Use a good carnuba cream wax to bring back the luster (make sure the wax does NOT have petroleum in it!).

Buff to a shine! The stripes look real good...100% better than before, but they do not look like new yet.

I talked to my neighbor and he said he can make new labels called "Shelby Stripe Cleaner" and then sell it Team Shelby. Otherwise I will work on getting a case and selling it to the forum members at my cost plus shipping. I am not in this to make a buck....rather see nice cars!

Randy

After trying everything that the supermarkets and hardware stores have for vinyl, plastic, or fiberglass cleaners, including Mother's Plastic Cleaner and Polish....... a neighbor of mine came over with a special cleaner that he sells to auto dealerships to clean plastic headlights, bumpers, and STRIPES ! He cleaned a couple spots of my stripes ( which are VERY badly spotted and stained ) and the places where he cleaned, look GREAT. Take a look at the pics.

I will work on cleaning the rest of the stripes oved rthe next few weeks and I will take more pics. The cleeaner was easy to use and then he put a polish over on after he cleaned the area.

If anyone is interested, he only sells to dealerships but, maybe we can work out some sort of deal with him.

I tried to load the pics but they exceed the size limit. I will try to size them down and repost later.

How about a product name? I have the same problem with my stripes. Thanks!

How about a product name? I have the same problem with my stripes. Thanks!

See my first post above, I edited the post and added pics.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Randy

Also interested what is the product name?

The cleaner is some specialty cleaner that this guy invented for the automotive industry. He sels direct to auto dealers....fairly "small time". He wants to sell to Team Shelby and then let them sell it to individual owners. He gave me the samples free to try.

I will track him down and see what I can do....even if I have to buy a case and sell it to fellow Shelby owners, I will.

I will let everyone know as soon as I talk to him.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...
The cleaner is some specialty cleaner that this guy invented for the automotive industry. He sels direct to auto dealers....fairly "small time". He wants to sell to Team Shelby and then let them sell it to individual owners. He gave me the samples free to try.

I will track him down and see what I can do....even if I have to buy a case and sell it to fellow Shelby owners, I will.

I will let everyone know as soon as I talk to him.

Randy

Anymore on this?

Anymore on this?

Neighbor's name is Bill and he said he is going to contact Team Shelby about selling a "Cleaner, Polish, and Sealer" as a package. Perhaps with a special label "GT Stripe Cleaner Set".

I will talk to him this week-end to see where he is at with it.

Randy

• 4 weeks later...
Neighbor's name is Bill and he said he is going to contact Team Shelby about selling a "Cleaner, Polish, and Sealer" as a package. Perhaps with a special label "GT Stripe Cleaner Set".

I will talk to him this week-end to see where he is at with it.

Randy

ANY MORE INFO ON STRIPE CLEANER? !!!! HAS SHELBY LAS COME UP WITH FIX OR CLEANER or warrenty replacement ?

JON

CSM198

• 2 weeks later...
ANY MORE INFO ON STRIPE CLEANER? !!!! HAS SHELBY LAS COME UP WITH FIX OR CLEANER or warrenty replacement ?

JON

CSM198

Hey.. Updated pics and the side=by=side was awesome.. Any news on selling some to the GT-H owners?

Bill - We need your help !

SeeYa

Moe

• 2 weeks later...
A clay bar took care of my silver stripes. Boy were they dirty.

I have tried the Clay Bar system on my gold stripes and had no luck at all. I worked one small area where it had 2 stain spots. No luck at all. I am hoping Bill comes through.

SeeYa

Moe

I have tried the Clay Bar system on my gold stripes and had no luck at all. I worked one small area where it had 2 stain spots. No luck at all. I am hoping Bill comes through.

SeeYa

Moe

DITIO ON MY STRIPES, had pros work on them, POOR RESULTS!!!!, anybody try again to talk with SAI in LAS for help? or replacement under waranty?

Jonray

CSM 198

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Randy,

Any news on getting some of these items from your neighbor? I saw another owner at a show in PA last weekend and he had a similar issue with stripe stains. I was telling him about the forum topic and he was interested.

Still hoping !!

Any news?? I have a Shelby GT with silver stripes that are spotted and stained.

I have not been able to find Bill......I will dog him to get the info on the cleaner for everyone. Also, after I cleaned the stripes, a top coat was needd to keep the shine and protect the cleaned stripes. I found that Mothers Back to Black works great to renew the shine. It adds an acrylic top coat that gets stripped off in the cleaning process.

Even with all the trials of cleaning, the stripes still do not look anywhere near new but, they are 100% better than they were. At the shows, no one seems to notice the spots, etc.

Randy

• 1 year later...

Just wondering do we have an update yet or what store did you buy the products that you used first?

Thanks --- Larry T.

2/17/1008

OK...I think I have the answer as best I can get it. I cleaned one stripe and left the other one as is so you can see the difference. The picture of the roof stripe has a reflection in the middle which make it look discolored.

1) First wash the stripes with a good car wash cleaner.

2) I use a soft cream cleanser called Kaboom to clean off all the heavy "junk" on the stripes (mine are VERY bad!)

3) Once the stripes are clean and you feel like you have as much of the spotting and discoloration off, use a product called "Severe Shower Door, Tile, Tub, & Boat Cleaner Restorer" to pull the rest of the spotting and to even up the coloration. Goes on like a wax and takes some "elbow grease" to get the right results. Wipe off the residue.

4) Use a good carnuba cream wax to bring back the luster (make sure the wax does NOT have petroleum in it!).

Buff to a shine! The stripes look real good...100% better than before, but they do not look like new yet.

I talked to my neighbor and he said he can make new labels called "Shelby Stripe Cleaner" and then sell it Team Shelby. Otherwise I will work on getting a case and selling it to the forum members at my cost plus shipping. I am not in this to make a buck....rather see nice cars!

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in the Secret Stripe Formula also. I been caught in the rain 3 times in the year

that I have owned my SGT. I have just over 13k miles on it now. The car is garaged kept when not out cruising. :D

As you can see in the photos below, they look pretty bad, but I have seen

worst on this forum, the ones that look like the spots were rusting, that's bad. I filed a warrenty claim

on the stripes a few weeks ago with my dealer. They called a few days ago and said they made

contact with Ford and the stripes will be replaced. I'm thinking to myself, aren't these taken car of

through Shelby? Are stripes for the GT-500 the same as the Shelby GT? I didn't think so, but not sure.

I would like to try the Secret Stripe Formula before my car goes back to the dealer. Thanks for any

info on this product.

Phil

Williamsport, Pa.

Hood_at_windshield_1024.pngRoof_Rear_of_car_to_Left_1024.png, Trunk_Lid_Rear_of_car_to_Left_1024b.png

Hood_at_windshield_1024.png

Roof_Rear_of_car_to_Left_1024.png

Trunk_Lid_Rear_of_car_to_Left_1024b.png

To date, no secret stripe cleaner has surfaced.

I myself am afraid of trying anything to clean the stripes. If you use a cleaner with any petroleum distalates in it, it will damage your stripes.

I just live with the water marks.

• 1 month later...

My Wifes black 07SGT silver stripes were getting really bad and tried all kinds of stuff !! what i did was to wet sand with 600/1500/2000 the buffed them back out . ill tell ya what they look a heck of alot better

JIM

Archived